Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Update on my frustrations with Sev ages, switched to AllTheMods8 and am having a substantially better time. Only running into my normal issues of "I hate Minecraft combat" causing me to have to cheat stuff in occasionally, and since I dont have danger I have not build a proper shelter yet have no reason to engage with food. This is a problem of my own making of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Make Baubley’s Heart Canisters to increase your max HP and Reliquary charms to make yourself invisible to enemies. All the basic Minecraft mobs drop items that can be crafted into charm fragments, and all the modded mobs have a low chance of dropping charm fragments directly. There’s a weapon enchant that boosts Reliquary drops.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s a reliquary drop that’s basically an unlimited used steak. Throw that in a backpack with auto-eat enabled and you never have to worry about food.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Once you have the Reliquary charms for all the vanilla Minecraft mobs, YUNG's Better Dungeons/When Dungeons Arise become trivial to just walk through, which gives you access to lots of loot chests with enchanted gear. The gear isn't great, it's stone/iron/gold, but you can throw it into an Industrial Foregoing Enchantment Extractor to move the enchantments to books and then dump the books into an Apotheosis Enchantment Library to merge the enchantments to their higher levels without anvil bullshit and then you can put those enchants on affixed weapons & armor you get from killing Apotheosis boss mobs -- which can't see you and don't fight back because you have Reliquary charms. And then you can salvage affixed gear for rarity materials and upgrade gems to Ancient tier and socket those gems in your sword so you hit for 50 damage before all the enchantments get involved and socket the other gems into your boots and pants so you have 700% movement speed. and +3 step height.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And once you have made yourself like unto god, you plop down a Mega Torch and mobs don't spawn at all.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
My issue is not that I find Minecraft combat hard. I don't find it fun.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The combat gets better when you can kill Withers and Dragons in 2-3 hits each

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

Not at my PC right now but iirc everything besides the config file when opened in Notepad was full of gobbledygook. You could pick out certain things but then they'd be surrounded by nonsense.

You would have to download the uncompiled .java files from the GitHub project, edit them in Notepad++, and then compile the project yourself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I'm basically building anor londo lol.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I guess I found something worse than old-fashioned modded beekeeping, and that's modded vanilla beekeeping. I'm playing around on a FTB Skies server and the bees I had would just coast off over the edge of the starting island (approx 3x2 chunks). I have a sugar bee in a jail right now that I'm afraid to set out in a hive even with the ground expanded all around it because I expect it to go take ride into the void too.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

All the current bee mods assume you lock your bees inside something, and even offer virtualized bees that never leave their hives to reduce server lag because bees are terrible.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Not at my PC right now but iirc everything besides the config file when opened in Notepad was full of gobbledygook. You could pick out certain things but then they'd be surrounded by nonsense.

Oh, so the tree spawning behavior isn't configurable.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical

Captain Invictus posted:

It might be one of those mods where you have to make a data pack to adjust spawns? Those are always annoying.

Ash Rose posted:

My issue is not that I find Minecraft combat hard. I don't find it fun.

Personally I play with whatever variant of Apathetic Mobs is up to date (Apathy or ApathyMod rn) - it makes it so every mob is neutral so it only fights you if you attack first (or generally there is to make them passive and only flee if you want). Lets me only do combat when I want. OTOH, I also build at least somewhat defensive houses bc I just don’t want mobs in my house, or near it making sounds (especially spiders), so we probably have different needs. I kind of just wanted to spotlight a cool mod, but perhaps someone will find it useful.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I guess I found something worse than old-fashioned modded beekeeping, and that's modded vanilla beekeeping. I'm playing around on a FTB Skies server and the bees I had would just coast off over the edge of the starting island (approx 3x2 chunks). I have a sugar bee in a jail right now that I'm afraid to set out in a hive even with the ground expanded all around it because I expect it to go take ride into the void too.
Put the hives inside a box with flowers and an airlock so the bees can't go anywhere.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

NiftyBottle posted:

Personally I play with whatever variant of Apathetic Mobs is up to date (Apathy or ApathyMod rn) - it makes it so every mob is neutral so it only fights you if you attack first (or generally there is to make them passive and only flee if you want). Lets me only do combat when I want. OTOH, I also build at least somewhat defensive houses bc I just don’t want mobs in my house, or near it making sounds (especially spiders), so we probably have different needs. I kind of just wanted to spotlight a cool mod, but perhaps someone will find it useful.

That sounds pretty neat actually, I might give it a try.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It’s not a great solution, but building a glass dome over one’s island and letting bees free range in there is cute. From rfTools builder to some other mod that has a building template thing to some build guide mod that pack has i futzed with and found weird and awkward

Stop being cowards Modpacks, include Effortless Building

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Black Pants posted:

Wait that worked? I'd never thought of doing things that way.

It does work but I ran into some issues with Architectury and Cloth-Config when Roughly Enough Items upgraded a little beyond their limits and I had to downgrade again to get minecraft to launch again. Otherwise, having metadata for modrinth and curseforge for components is a brilliant idea and works for everything, mods, loaders, and versions. Certainly takes a lot of work out but I would like an option to pin versions to avoid breakage.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What are some alternate (magic?) ways in FTB: Skies to breeze through end game combat? When I did the stoneblock I just used a Mekasuit but I don't want to just do that again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I delved deeply and greedily and found the deep dark, which I hadn't experienced before since I've only recently updated my version to one that has it.

I promptly encountered The Warden, who I hit a few times and then he smacked me for 1/3 my health(in full enchanted netherite) sending me flying like two chunks away into a massive pool of lava. that was fine, fire protection on my armor means lava takes a good bit longer to kill me, but then the warden one-shot me at range before I could even get my bearings.

I disabled it from spawning through the console, but is there a mod that makes the warden not poo poo so I can reactivate it? it seems like the devs trying to be "cute" but as always introducing an incredibly unfun mechanic. I looked up its stats and it looks like them trying to create a "horror vibe" creature that is blind but insanely hard to kill and can one/two-shot you, which is not fun beyond maybe the first time you encounter it, and at least in the modded version I'm in, boy there's a lot of deep dark. If there's a mod that like, weakens the warden slightly so it's tough but not stupid, I'd love that.

if it's designed to spawn super frequently, I'd want to drastically reduce that, make it something special to encounter rather than a constant annoyance. decent aesthetic but annoying mechanics and blocks. is there a mod that reduces the frequency of it appearing at the very least?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

I delved deeply and greedily and found the deep dark, which I hadn't experienced before since I've only recently updated my version to one that has it.

I promptly encountered The Warden, who I hit a few times and then he smacked me for 1/3 my health(in full enchanted netherite) sending me flying like two chunks away into a massive pool of lava. that was fine, fire protection on my armor means lava takes a good bit longer to kill me, but then the warden one-shot me at range before I could even get my bearings.

I disabled it from spawning through the console, but is there a mod that makes the warden not poo poo so I can reactivate it? it seems like the devs trying to be "cute" but as always introducing an incredibly unfun mechanic. I looked up its stats and it looks like them trying to create a "horror vibe" creature that is blind but insanely hard to kill and can one/two-shot you, which is not fun beyond maybe the first time you encounter it, and at least in the modded version I'm in, boy there's a lot of deep dark. If there's a mod that like, weakens the warden slightly so it's tough but not stupid, I'd love that.

if it's designed to spawn super frequently, I'd want to drastically reduce that, make it something special to encounter rather than a constant annoyance. decent aesthetic but annoying mechanics and blocks. is there a mod that reduces the frequency of it appearing at the very least?
It shows up when you set off certain objects in the Deep Dark by making too much noise. You can muffle sounds with wool/wool carpets, but exactly how that works is a bit non-obvious beyond the "just walk on the wool" if you wanted to be mining anything (like the objects which summon the warden) you may want to look up how it works on a the wiki or something

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

idk I just flip a lever and my warden spawner starts spewing out endless wardens that are methodically killed and all their drops are neatly sorted away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zereth posted:

It shows up when you set off certain objects in the Deep Dark by making too much noise. You can muffle sounds with wool/wool carpets, but exactly how that works is a bit non-obvious beyond the "just walk on the wool" if you wanted to be mining anything (like the objects which summon the warden) you may want to look up how it works on a the wiki or something
oh I did look it up on the wiki, it's just a poo poo mechanic that I want to change or outright disable if need be. the sculk itself is kind of obnoxious, but the warden is just a garbage inclusion in a game like minecraft. conceptually cute, but wears out its welcome almost immediately in practice. I don't want to have to sneak all over the place or lay down carpet everywhere, and if the deep dark's going to be a frequent spawn in worldgen, I want to be able to reduce or disable it entirely.

pseudorandom name posted:

idk I just flip a lever and my warden spawner starts spewing out endless wardens that are methodically killed and all their drops are neatly sorted away.
yeah I don't do farms of any sort. I also don't shove villagers in job cubicles, I'm a freak like that

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 11, 2023

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I don’t make villager death camps and torture them for their labor either, but I like killing evil monsters because they deserve it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I just looked at my map, realized the blue dots are deep dark and holy poo poo it's loving everywhere.

will this data pack outright remove the existing deep dark and related blocks/inventory items, or just prevent further spawning?
https://www.planetminecraft.com/data-pack/remove-deep-dark/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

pseudorandom name posted:

They just drop sculk catalysts and nothing else though, don't they?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah they drop like eight different things from like five different mods.

The most important being warden charm fragments that are crafted into warden charms which make wardens unable to sense you.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

For farming crops, do you prefer to have mixed farms with the outputs getting sorted/filtered, or distinct patches for carrots, potatoes etc.?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Heran Bago posted:

For farming crops, do you prefer to have mixed farms with the outputs getting sorted/filtered, or distinct patches for carrots, potatoes etc.?

I play using Dubs' Bad Hygeine, so I have some sprinklers that make it easy to have a planting zone with a diameter of 13 cells. I also use Variety Matters and RimCuisine, which makes having a lot of different food options important. So what I do, typically, is split each planting zone in half, and I'll rotate the crops for each field once I notice that I'm starting to get a large stockpile of one plant or another. This is also really useful for crops where maybe I don't need an entire sprinkler's worth of output constantly - things like healroot, cloth and psychoid, for example.

e: this is not the Rimworld thread, huh

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 11, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

death cob for cutie posted:

I play using Dubs' Bad Hygeine, so I have some sprinklers that make it easy to have a planting zone with a diameter of 13 cells. I also use Variety Matters and RimCuisine, which makes having a lot of different food options important. So what I do, typically, is split each planting zone in half, and I'll rotate the crops for each field once I notice that I'm starting to get a large stockpile of one plant or another. This is also really useful for crops where maybe I don't need an entire sprinkler's worth of output constantly - things like healroot, cloth and psychoid, for example.
I think you meant this for the Rimworld thread.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Imagining a Minecraft mod that adds toilets, incredibly cursed

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Now I am reminded of sneaking while standing on an MFR sewer filling it slowly

man i miss MFR

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Been playing through Material Energy ^5 for the first time lately as a duo. It's fantastic! Things I love:

- Spending some time exploring a new portal one session, then spending the next session entirely in the alchemy hub/greenhouse breaking down loot and producing resources. Both feel important and rewarding!
- Curated lootboxes with useful/interesting loot. I got a "NASA Prototype" frying pan out of a lootbox that makes combat kind fun. It's got knockback 5 on it along with something that makes targets float and take damage over time - its excellent!
- So far, progression feels very well paced. Each world feels dense in terms of interesting things to do, but we have been able to knock a chapter/world in 1 or 2 longish sessions. (We did choose the keep inventory true setting, which has a large impact on how quickly we are progressing.)
- The questbook is maybe the best I've ever seen so far (We are about 5 "main" worlds in.) 0 errors I've noticed and all rewards make sense.
- The use of command blocks is really well done. Sometimes it's a quest reward granting access to a previously unreachable area, sometimes it's spawning a chest for placing a specific block in a specific place.
- Hunting for all the trophies hidden throughout the pack is cool! Having a dedicated prebuilt place to put them is even cooler!

I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a pack that has not played it before.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

death cob for cutie posted:

Imagining a Minecraft mod that adds toilets, incredibly cursed
They don't call it CurseForge for nothing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guess what mod has Ponder mechanics too now.

It's AE2!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Black Pants posted:

Hey guess what mod has Ponder mechanics too now.

It's AE2!

That's actually pretty cool. More mods, especially complex ones, should.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ponder is neat but it's very bad at actually telling you how to make or progress a bunch of key elements in Create.

Also a number of elements aren't actually accessible except through nested pondering of specific objects. It would be a lot better with an index.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I'm permanently stuck in 1.7.10. What's "ponder"?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm permanently stuck in 1.7.10. What's "ponder"?

It's an in-game animation/browser that gives interactive information about a multiblock, particularly what pieces make it up

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In terms of long-dead mods, I miss Astral Sorcery, Thaumcraft, and the Betweenlands. Had some really good times with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

In terms of long-dead mods, I miss Astral Sorcery, Thaumcraft, and the Betweenlands. Had some really good times with those.

Yep those were all good. Another mod I remember enjoying was Blood Magic.