Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The best newsperson cameo ever is Ernie Anastos in Without Warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I felt that the news segment will date BvS but a) not knowing they're real doesn't really matter and b) knowing they're real grounds the movie, it's supposed to be The Real(ish) Superheroes. That's the premise.

edit: I recently saw an 80s movie that had local 80s SoCal news legend Connie Chung as a cameo in it, really took me back. I enjoyed it. Forgot which movie though.

edit2: I looked it up and in typical MMJS fashion, I have completely mangled this. It was a cameo in the Wham! documentary.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 7, 2023

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i don't see how those date the movie. they're just news/TV people. recognizing them as like Hey, it's That Guy doesn't change the scene. future people will just see the ones they don't know as movie news people

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Jon Stewart had left The Daily Show the year prior, so even when that film was released, it was weird seeing him in BvS.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A movie being dated isn't a bad thing. Why should everything be timeless? My favorite movies are all ridiculously of their eras and it is cool and good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Time's a flat circle. Those talking points will be relevant again... *checks notes* still.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Actually, with Elon sabotaging a Ukrainian military operation by turning off his Starlink satellites (quite possibly because Ian Miles Cheong told him to) BvS just becomes more prescient, although it does give Lex entirely too much credit and dignity.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Darko posted:

None of this will really date, either. Future generations will just see them as actors.

Mission Impossible Fallout or whatever has one of the best newsperson cameos ever.

The particular way musk features in those makes it clear he’s not an actor. Not least because he doesn’t do any acting

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol that Musk shows up in Iron Man 2. One of the earliest indications that the MCU was poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The talk-show montage in BVS owns because they got these ideologists onscreen to literally debate The Jewish Question.

Nobody comes off looking good, and it’s also immediately apparent that they’re talking about the movie Man Of Steel, which lends an air of unseriousness to their canned responses. “Superman is an alien from space, and space is really big if you think about it.” Yeah, great job Neil.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 8, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just really appreciate the humor in getting the guy from Kumare to say the line, "Maybe he's not some sort of devil or Jesus character. Maybe he's just a guy trying to do the right thing."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe he's just a stranger on the bus.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol that Musk shows up in Iron Man 2. One of the earliest indications that the MCU was poo poo.

Jon Favreau seems especially susceptible to tech bullshit. He's also the guy who's been pioneering the practice of replacing actors with AI doppelgangers, and has claimed that any problems that arise from using the technology can be solved by The Blockchain.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Robot Style posted:

Jon Favreau seems especially susceptible to tech bullshit. He's also the guy who's been pioneering the practice of replacing actors with AI doppelgangers, and has claimed that any problems that arise from using the technology can be solved by The Blockchain.

Lmao, that's unfortunate. I liked Favreau. Iron Man 2008 is a great film, and Swingers and Elf are great. It's sad to hear he got tech-pilled.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lmao, that's unfortunate. I liked Favreau. Iron Man 2008 is a great film, and Swingers and Elf are great. It's sad to hear he got tech-pilled.

Doug Liman directed Swingers.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Timby posted:

Doug Liman directed Swingers.

I stand corrected

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maybe he's just a stranger on the bus.

Lmao

MacheteZombie posted:

I just really appreciate the humor in getting the guy from Kumare to say the line, "Maybe he's not some sort of devil or Jesus character. Maybe he's just a guy trying to do the right thing."

Yeah as usual Snyder doing characterization by casting, even for characters who are barely in the movie

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Robot Style posted:

Wow, gently caress Jon Favreau lol.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Nancy Grace in BvS pales in comparison to Missi Pyle as Nancy Grace in Gone Girl.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
the existence of doomsday in bvsdojue is what stops it from being a good movie. like, lex is good enough as a villan, and the intro of the gc monster actively derails the movie

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

atrus50 posted:

the existence of doomsday in bvsdojue is what stops it from being a good movie. like, lex is good enough as a villan, and the intro of the gc monster actively derails the movie

I'm happy that you appreciate Lex in that movie because he owns, but the movie really needed Superman to stop the fist of that abomination to really drive home that Lex is Wrong about Superman.

What came after was super-indulgent and it's best viewed as an action scene separated from the rest of the movie. As such, it rules because Superman has a laser-beam battle with Doomsday and loses, then Wonder Woman cuts Doomsday's hand off. Batman is totally useless, as he said he would be in such a scenario all movie long.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

atrus50 posted:

hard disagree. if you can get over the "cgi enemy = automatically bad" thing, doomsday serves some important functions:

-presents a threat that Batman is almost completely useless against. starts him down that path where he wants to help the metahumans but it's practically suicidal to do so
-gross physical embodiment of Superman's mythological status in the statue + Superman being haunted by the events of Man of Steel
-justifies all the buildup of Wonder Woman. If not for a genuine epic world-ending superpowered threat, it wouldn't matter that much that she's also there.
-sets up the idea that resurrecting Kryptonians is possible but also super dangerous
-the very first Justice League fight is one where they can't win by being strong. i dunno that seems important

Also I think it's important that Lex barely even has a plan. I like him as a villain but he's bugfuck nuts, I think it's appropriate that he's barely relevant after being saved by Superman. I guess you could say he succeeds in coming up with a plan that gets Superman killed, but I think he barely even thought it through that much.

Also also, even if you hate the character design of Doomsday, I just think the fight looks amazing in a lot of ways. The visual of Wonder Woman cutting off Doomsday's hand and it regenerating into the hosed up spike thing that ultimately kills Superman just looks wild to me

Martman fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 9, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

100% agree with needing that Doomsday fight in BvS. It has the audacity to take Batman, who is probably the most recognizable and beloved DC character, and show him to be completely helpless. He is watching Armageddon take place on Earth, and the only two things standing between them and total destruction are Divine Intervention by Wonder Woman and the Sacrifice by the alien who adopted Earth as his home. It's incredible and serves as the driving force behind Batman's Redemption in Justice League.

It also gives us this shot:

Which is more than enough reason to include Doomsday in it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Basically:

I LOVE ZACK SNYDER!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

Nancy Grace in BvS pales in comparison to Missi Pyle as Nancy Grace in Gone Girl.

There should have been a movie with Missi Pyle as fake Nancy Grace and possibly Tyler Perry as Alex Cross.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The only thing I really don't like about BvS is the title. I don't know what you title it really, but Snyder's idea of calling the movie "Son of Sun, Knight of Night" would've been hilarious, and Terrio's idea of calling it like Justice League Rising or whatever he said was also terrible.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I appreciate Dawn of Justice as that invites the blend of Day and Night while implying the birth of the Justice League.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I like the full title because it sounds like a kaiju film

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Call it "The Death of Superman"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Superman Dies at the End

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Call it "The Death of Superman"

Make it just different enough to piss off the ultra nerds. Death of the Superman. I would have been fine with that, lol.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Clark Dies At The End

e:

Martman posted:

Superman Dies at the End
poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Or really, shoulda just dropped all the pretense and called it Superman/Batman: Doomsday, it works well enough from both their perspectives.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Call it Superfriends and do a title drop when Batman is choking out Superman

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Seyser Koze posted:

Clark Dies At The End

e:

poo poo.
When I saw BvS, some guy stormed out during the funeral scene and yelled “This is bullshit!”.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Assassination of Kal-El by the Coward Bruce Wayne

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Batman v Superman: Dawn of the Dead

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The only problem with the title Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice is that the sequel isn’t called Batman V Superman V Wonderwoman: Six Finest Heroes Revealed: League Of Justice In The Shadow Of Apocalypse or some poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle Earth 2: The War in the North: The Rise of the Witch King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Honestly, the real take is that Justice League is not a good title.