Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

AWS tell you in every auto response that abuse reports are best sent using their abuse form, which lets you pick the category for the abuse and then is context-aware, so if you're reporting spam being sent through SES it asks for the headers to be pasted in. So far so good, except all it seems to do is submit the reports to the EC2 abuse mailbox, where the agent responding tells you that you have sent your report to the wrong place.

Motherfucker - I am doing exactly what you asked me to do, sort your processes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We use a cloud platform that was acquired by another company. When you log in, if they've updated it, there's a notification banner with a link to the changelog. Except it's not really, it's a link to a page that says the changelog is now somewhere else. It was your loving link! Update it!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Reminds me of when I went to university first and the date after which you need to pay late fees for your other fees not being paid was only published on the back of the form for paying late fees.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
loving slack.

Is there some way to turn off the annoying feature where a bolded white channel gets brought to the top of the channel list, regardless of what collection it normally lives in?

I have over a hundred slack channels and having channels bounce around is annoying as gently caress. I want a static list so I always know where a given channel is.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Agrikk posted:

loving slack.

Is there some way to turn off the annoying feature where a bolded white channel gets brought to the top of the channel list, regardless of what collection it normally lives in?

I have over a hundred slack channels and having channels bounce around is annoying as gently caress. I want a static list so I always know where a given channel is.

Preferences > Sidebar > Sort > Alphabetically

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

A spirited defense against MFA was not what I expected from this thread today.

You sound like one of my users whose mad they have to have MFA for their IAM user account with console access and keys despite having a role through SSO that could do the exact same thing.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Rawrbomb posted:

Preferences > Sidebar > Sort > Alphabetically

That doesn't do it. It still pulls mentions to the top of the stack. It sorts alphabetically within the two categories, but that's not helpful.

poo poo pssing me off: software that "helpfully"does things for me. Stop it. I'm a smart guy who is fully capable of using software on my own.

on the desktop client it was"Move items with unread mentions to top of sections." :argh:

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 5, 2023

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Agrikk posted:

That doesn't do it. It still pulls mentions to the top of the stack. It sorts alphabetically within the two categories, but that's not helpful.

poo poo pssing me off: software that "helpfully"does things for me. Stop it. I'm a smart guy who is fully capable of using software on my own.

Jesus Christ this. Get the gently caress out of my way and let me do what I want to do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now can someone tell me who at Slack I can talk to about their decision to make the new Later reminders show up as the same type of notification as a new message? I just want to talk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slack really needs to stop adding poo poo to the left pane too.

Also make their threads less lovely, it should default to sending replies to the channel.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

absolutely not

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

xzzy posted:

Also make their threads less lovely, it should default to sending replies to the channel.

get out

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

Slack really needs to stop adding poo poo to the left pane too.

i just puked in my mouth a little

actually to be fair, the best qol feature they've added the fact that you can now send a thread message to the channel after you send it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess my group is lower volume or uses threads wrong then? Because whenever someone replies in a thread and forgets to hit the checkbox the information isn't read by anyone. It's like comments in there got sucked into a black hole. Sure the 'Threads' category in the left list lights up but it doesn't seem to help.

I prefer the discord style because it's clear what point in the chat history you're referring to so people can get the context.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

you’re 100% using threads wrong

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
All you fuckers keep suggesting things to fix or change in Slack, which is only going to distract them from their One True Mission: to force everyone to use Huddles.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Huddles are great, use them all the time.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Internet Explorer posted:

A UN/post combo for the ages, IMO.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Agrikk posted:

on the desktop client it was"Move items with unread mentions to top of sections." :argh:

Glad you found it, I play local slack helper, I totes forgot about that setting as I disabled it ages ago (as soon as it turned up, I think)

Blue Moonlight posted:

All you fuckers keep suggesting things to fix or change in Slack, which is only going to distract them from their One True Mission: to force everyone to use Huddles.

Yeah, what's wrong with a huddle? Its a hell of a lot faster than spinning up a meeting room in other meeting softwares of choice, especially for the team. What's wrong with it exactly?

xzzy posted:

I guess my group is lower volume or uses threads wrong then? Because whenever someone replies in a thread and forgets to hit the checkbox the information isn't read by anyone. It's like comments in there got sucked into a black hole. Sure the 'Threads' category in the left list lights up but it doesn't seem to help.

I prefer the discord style because it's clear what point in the chat history you're referring to so people can get the context.

Buff Hardback posted:

you’re 100% using threads wrong

I have to agree here, the whole point of a thread is to let the topic go, without disrupting the main chat from the parties who don't need to get involved.

I saw another product ages ago that let you have sub-discussions within a channel via hashtags or something, which is kinda what threads are? But not nearly as indepth.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

A UN/post combo for the ages, IMO.

Oh you want it as a toolbar that runs on a specific version of Microsoft Java Virtual Machine? I can do that. Don't make me get the product team back together.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ActiveX, please

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Today I learned that our new golden image for new employee devices on campus is 300 GB :psyduck:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dandywalken posted:

Today I learned that our new golden image for new employee devices on campus is 300 GB :psyduck:

Using golden images in 2023 :psyduck:

edit: I want to thank you for this post because I spend most of my time feeling like a dinosaur who hasn't skilled up yet and is gonna be left in the dust because he's not doing IAC and Terraforming everything, but at least some of the stuff I do is apparently more with the times than what others are doing.

Which isn't to say I should be OK with where I am, my job position is already obsolete and it's just taking 5-10 years before finally dying out, but good lord at least I'm not PXE booting FOG or something.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 7, 2023

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Rawrbomb posted:

Yeah, what's wrong with a huddle? Its a hell of a lot faster than spinning up a meeting room in other meeting softwares of choice, especially for the team. What's wrong with it exactly?

My complaints are less to do with the feature and more to do with its rollout and implications, so it’s really just me Abe Simpsoning at a cloud at this point:

• When Huddles were first rolled out, Slack’s apps were even more of a garbage fire than usual at basic poo poo like “formatting text” or “rendering the UI.” So to prioritize the engineering resources a feature like Huddles required seemed pretty questionable.
  • Slack initially pushed Huddles hard, to the point where it was easy to turn them on for a channel accidentally, and difficult to disable them completely for a channel - it felt like Slack assumed everyone would immediately embrace them as a pivotal element of their workflow, and were then shocked when folks were like “do not want.”
  • It seemed to encourage the sort of “100% instant always-on availability” that Slack already made so much worse. We literally had managers salivating at the prospect of starting always-on team Huddles and being able to just talk at people to get their attention again, and that’s awful.

Glad it’s useful for you though!

Oh you want it as a toolbar that runs on a specific version of Microsoft Java Virtual Machine? I can do that. Don't make me get the product team back together.

I want it as a BonziBuddy add-on.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

SyNack Sassimov posted:

at least I'm not PXE booting FOG or something.

I remember how excited I was when I got my PXE server talking to ESX hosts over my fiber network so I could run diskless hosts.

That lasted about a day because terraform et.al. showed up what seemed like hours later and I gave up on imaging strategies all together at that point.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

SyNack Sassimov posted:

edit: I want to thank you for this post because I spend most of my time feeling like a dinosaur who hasn't skilled up yet and is gonna be left in the dust because he's not doing IAC and Terraforming everything, but at least some of the stuff I do is apparently more with the times than what others are doing.

Which isn't to say I should be OK with where I am, my job position is already obsolete and it's just taking 5-10 years before finally dying out, but good lord at least I'm not PXE booting FOG or something.

I work in Education and still use golden images for some labs/laptop carts because of a handful of programs with no support for automated installs. The images are just Windows + those applications though, most of the software and configuration is from Intune. I'd rather do that than manually install software over and over.

I also have to maintain images for cloning to VDI pools. Some of those images include Office 2016 & 2019 because there's still demand for training courses specifically for those versions. No one seems to care about Office 2021 though. Support for cloud-based features like OneDrive integration ends this October, but they'll both still get security updates until 2025 :negative:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Glad it’s useful for you though!

I want it as a BonziBuddy add-on.
:golfclap:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Blue Moonlight posted:

We literally had managers salivating at the prospect of starting always-on team Huddles and being able to just talk at people to get their attention again, and that’s awful.
This feels very like some middle management drones realising that they can get back to pre-pandemic office culture but worse and being happy that they can hide how useless they actually are.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, you can do the same thing with any conferencing solution. I've been to fancy DevOps conferences where a team tried to present that as a good thing and they used Zoom. Huddle lets you click a button and call people. Not really a unique superpower.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've got the Zoom integration installed in our Slack instance so if I want to start a meeting I just type /zoom and boom there's a meeting link we can all join.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have teams so I can just click the meet now button and not have to deal with a separate service

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

We've got the Zoom integration installed in our Slack instance so if I want to start a meeting I just type /zoom and boom there's a meeting link we can all join.

oh wow I have that too, thanks!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Legitly pissed off microsoft discontinued the ergo keyboard and didn't rebadge for the surface line or sell it off to a 3rd party to make forever. (more of an IT thing than a mega-keyboard thread post)

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My most recent issues I'm working on all have to deal with regular expressions!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maigius posted:

My most recent issues I'm working on all have to deal with regular expressions!

I really like this site for working with them:

https://regexr.com/

It lets you test out what you write and it even has a helpful sidebar that gives you some guidance.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think I've finally had it with internal teams who maintain apps that in TYOOL 2023 still use Kerberos / integrated Windows auth. You get seamless SSO without having to do anything if you're using Azure AD Entra ID and use the same account on your PC, why can't you just make your app use OAuth or something, instead of building a house of cards that falls apart every time there's a Windows update.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It's even dumber if the application is on azure app service because you get it for free with like two clicks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No this is a partner company to the one I am working with who host it all themselves on-prem. I managed to get the whole thing working with Azure Application Proxy until somebody on their side put a stop to it and said that it couldn't be accessible outside the company network, unless people were using a VPN like it's 2004 again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I was not asserting that was your experience but drawing from similar experience with my own internal app teams, which absolutely do as above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

But your scenario is still really loving dumb