Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NorgLyle posted:

His gritty adult take on Squadron Supreme (a comic that was already plenty adult) looked like it was going to be interesting but then...

You can say that about a lot of JMS' comic output where he starts strong but he either dips out or the comic just kind of peters out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this! posted:

You can say that about a lot of JMS' comic output where he starts strong but he either dips out or the comic just kind of peters out.

In the case of Squadron Supreme, he wanted to go really hard into the material and Marvel said "Let's tone this down and move it into the mainstream." JMS initially was OK with that - the story doesn't need graphic nudity, for instance - but then they kept insisting that he blunt the edge even more and basically turn it into a regular cape book. At that point he did what he's always done when someone offers him creative control then tries to interfere too much: he took his ball and went home.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I only know Grounded through the wikipedia summary, but it is funny that the moment the other writer takes over even the summaries become better stories. Hell, framing that entire first half as Superman being a dick because he's afraid to admit that he's struggling with depression is a stroke of genius.

I don't know, but I have a soft spot for writers that are left with someone else's mess and make a genuine attempt to still make it work somehow.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Jedit posted:

Sense8 was absolute dogshit.

What the gently caress

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zaroff posted:

To be honest, a lot of his Babylon 5 work outside the core series isn’t that good either!

Like I said: lightning in a bottle.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The first half of Superman: Grounded was 100% conceived of and written by JMS. He abandoned the gig halfway through that storyline because DC were about to reboot the comic so nothing he was writing would count in the longrun and another writer had to come in and finish it off in his stead, with nothing but a short story precis JMS left behind to work off. The new writer basically reversed a lot of the poo poo that JMS had written for the first half: Clark admits he was wrong to forbid Lois to write that article but she admits she went ahead and wrote it already

Correction on this: the issue where he forbids Lois to write the article exposing the factory's environmental waste crimes was written by the replacement writer, it happened later in the story than I remembered. JMS is credited as the writer of the plot but Chris Roberson wrote that poo poo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

when I think "superman" i think "grabbing his partner by the arm and saying 'i don't think you heard me' "

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think at some point Superman should just give up on human morality and right and wrong and have an arc where he gets REALLY into some Kryptonian Revival poo poo. Formulating a bizarre alien code of ethics, maybe becoming a creepy cult leader. All dressed up in classical Kryptonian folk clothing, the sort of frou-frou hypercolor garish getups even Kryptonians weren't wearing by the time they ate poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was an arc on the Supergirl tv show where Chad Lowe ran a cult that worshipped Kryptonians.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Brawnfire posted:

I think at some point Superman should just give up on human morality and right and wrong and have an arc where he gets REALLY into some Kryptonian Revival poo poo. Formulating a bizarre alien code of ethics, maybe becoming a creepy cult leader. All dressed up in classical Kryptonian folk clothing, the sort of frou-frou hypercolor garish getups even Kryptonians weren't wearing by the time they ate poo poo.

I'm sure SOMEWHERE there's an Elseworlds book where he does that, but the closest I can think of off the top of my head is in All-Star Superman where he leaves the planet for a while and when he comes back two other Kryptonians (astronauts who were off world when Krypton blew up) found Earth and where trying to turn it into New-Krypton in a "only slightly less destructive than Zod in Man of Steel" way.

And yes, they have the goofy-as-gently caress Retro-Future design of classical Krypton:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

There was an arc on the Supergirl tv show where Chad Lowe ran a cult that worshipped Kryptonians.

Is it really Chadly to worship superbeings from another planet?

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Arivia posted:

Is it really Chadly to worship superbeings from another planet?

it was a Lowe point for him

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's what's so low about it

Edit: sun of a bitch

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfSahz-JupY

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

this is essentially just Eradicator/Last Son of Krypton from Reign of the Supermen

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Alaois posted:

this is essentially just Eradicator/Last Son of Krypton from Reign of the Supermen

Prior to that, the Eradicator influenced Superman into being an emotionless weirdo that was super rational.
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-day-of-the-krypton-man/4045-56002/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I know very little of Superman

I recall Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and that's about as recent as I get

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I know very little of Superman

I recall Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman and that's about as recent as I get

Honestly, you can just watch the new My Adventures With Superman and be done with the rest of it.

Just a super wholesome show that doesn't try to make supes edgy or grimdark. Who is he? He's a himbo with powers that wants to help people. Perfect, 10/10. no notes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Honestly, you can just watch the new My Adventures With Superman and be done with the rest of it.

Just a super wholesome show that doesn't try to make supes edgy or grimdark. Who is he?

He’s Bradward Boimler!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My Adventures with Superman is honestly kind-of the bare loving minimum, with the novelty of a very well-done shōjo aesthetic, but after 15 straight years of WB and DC properties that refused to let Clark be a character in his own stories unless he was being a corrupted tyrant, it's really loving refreshing. When the biggest critique you can give to it is "I wish there were more" then it's doing something very right.

Alaois posted:

There was also a creepy cult in the 2007 limited series "52" that was obsessed with reviving the dead, but they only show up for a few scenes to gently caress with Ralph Dibny and give him a clue on his mystery plot and then get shut down by the JLA's B-team. The 2nd Wonder Girl was a part of it because Superboy (Connor Kent) had died in the preceding event story.

The thing with Superman is that basically every angle has already been done twice or more. You can let that alienate you, but if you lean into that as a way to tell your own version of whatever angle you want without being an out-of-touch edgelord and/or upper class twit, it's still surprisingly fertile storytelling ground. It's more relevant than another retelling of Robin Hood.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Just letting him wink at the camera in the opening credits feels remarkable at this point.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Lois and Clark relationship in MAWS is just so cute the way they're into each other. It feels real the way their relationship builds.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's also blowing people's minds to see Lois and Clark acting like they're people instead of these giant ICONS encased in amber, where Lois can immediately piece together "hey so this Superman guy and Clark... clearly something there" and then ask the logical question "so Clark if you like me why did you loving lie?" and believable, consistent reactions and follow-through.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wasn't the 90's Superman animated series pretty good about his depiction, to the point where the time they did do an Evil Superman arc, it was only for a few episodes and involved Apokalypse involvement?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That series also ended 23 years-- or nearly a quarter century-- ago. 18 years if we're using the most generous possible rules and counting the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited stuff because it continues plotlines from that show.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

credburn posted:

Also, imagine being told, "A man was killed for you, tonight." Even if it is a villain or whatever, that's a weird thing to hear. I would not want to hear that.

While I can understand the political exigency of it I don't support the killing of Osama. They should have extracted him and tried him but the things he could/would say would probably be too much. Like Epstein he was never gonna get a day in court.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think the orders were to take him alive, Mr. Ooo Rah Seal Team 6 just didn't feel like taking orders from... *checks notes* the President.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Can you imagine how jelly the first five seal teams were after that? Lmao

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah they narrowed it down to one shooter and he admitted he was going to shoot to kill Osama. Iirc

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Randalor posted:

Wasn't the 90's Superman animated series pretty good about his depiction, to the point where the time they did do an Evil Superman arc, it was only for a few episodes and involved Apokalypse involvement?

90s animated Superman was some real solidly written Superman.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm sure SOMEWHERE there's an Elseworlds book where he does that, but the closest I can think of off the top of my head is in All-Star Superman where he leaves the planet for a while and when he comes back two other Kryptonians (astronauts who were off world when Krypton blew up) found Earth and where trying to turn it into New-Krypton in a "only slightly less destructive than Zod in Man of Steel" way.

And yes, they have the goofy-as-gently caress Retro-Future design of classical Krypton:

best part of these nerds is that because Superman is a total dweeb, he left the key to his Fortress of Solitude (which is made of pure neutronium) under the welcome mat right outside the door in the middle of Antarctica

so he comes back and they are in there and they're just like, what, you left the key under the mat

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think the orders were to take him alive, Mr. Ooo Rah Seal Team 6 just didn't feel like taking orders from... *checks notes* the President.

Obama was probably winking when he gave the order.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Didn't Osama spend his hiding arguing on various truther boards that it was Al Qaida, not GWB who was behind 9/11?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I would imagine that orders were closer to "Preferably alive, but, do what you gotta do.", given the important that everyone put in taking him off the board one way or the other and making sure he didn't escape.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Randalor posted:

mycatscrimes posted:

90s animated Superman was some real solidly written Superman.

superman: tas (and by extension justice league/JLU) had the best portrayals of superman. the show actually turned me into a fan after years of ignoring him for being a boring, personality devoid superhero.

(though tbf, i sort of felt this way about batman too until batman: tas, but i was at least able to enjoy the Adam West version beforehand)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

superman: tas (and by extension justice league/JLU) had the best portrayals of superman. the show actually turned me into a fan after years of ignoring him for being a boring, personality devoid superhero.
A very solid metric for judging Superman stories is by how much Clark is allowed to be a character and a part of the story. The instant you start seeing Superman as an icon that's too big to engage with directly in any fashion, you've hosed up.

That's why the hierarchy of Superman stories is somewhere along the lines of:

1. Stories where Clark is allowed to be part of the fabric of that story as a character with wants, needs, flaws, etc. The very best ones have him as an active character too, not just a nice dude who reacts to everyone.
2. Stories where the point is everyone reacting to Clark, where he's not really part of the story but there's still a sense of him as a character.
3. Stories where Clark is a despot/Homelander/Omniman-type because even though it's cheap and dirty at least it's still a character in the story.
4. Stories about Superman "the alien" or "the god" or "the savior" or "the messiah" or "the icon" whether played straight or in an attempted deconstruction because it always ends up pretentious drivel and-- ironically-- way less iconic than any of the other three.

The big exception is the '77 Donner flick and stuff like it which gets exception status because it was, at that time, 40 years worth of iconography translated to show that classic Superman material could be translated effectively to live action, and even there it correctly recognized that Lois Lane is best as the most contemporary character to bounce off of Clark's stalwart nature.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There's a line that sticks in my head from the 90s Superman show with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher: "Clark Kent is who I am. Superman is just something I can do."

And the show did a good job with that, for the time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lemniscate Blue posted:

There's a line that sticks in my head from the 90s Superman show with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher: "Clark Kent is who I am. Superman is just something I can do."

And the show did a good job with that, for the time.

It's the opposite for Batman. :v:

There's a scene from a comic where Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman meet for the first time and they all take hold Diana's lasso of truth and reveal their real identities:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Batman: While the perfect is in action I feel the need to warn you, I'm a theatre kid.
Diana: I'd guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's the opposite for Batman. :v:

There's a scene from a comic where Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman meet for the first time and they all take hold Diana's lasso of truth and reveal their real identities:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmEzPl278Y

BioEnchanted posted:

Batman: While the perfect is in action I feel the need to warn you, I'm a theatre kid.
Diana: I'd guessed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4XIAjNuHPg