Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Still idly working on completing a run of WD's from like issue 270 to somewhere around 310. Mostly because that was kind of the part where I bought and read a whole bunch of them, and I'd love to complete the collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cooked Auto posted:

More or less yeah, going by the Games Workshop wiki, Finecast was 2011.
And Ward worked on both the 2008 and 2013 editions of the WHFB Daemon army book.

The 2008 one was the really bad one. The 2013 book was kinda too late to make a difference since the game was already actively in its death throes at that point.

The thing that I’ll always remember about the 7e book was the Siren Song, not because it was remotely the most broken thing in the book but because it was emblematic of how bad the design was. It was a once per game ability you could buy for a few points (like 25?) that let you target an enemy unit in the movement phase and force them to either charge your Herald or flee. No roll, no counterplay, they either charge or flee, and if they fail the charge, they just run 2d6” forward and stop there.

Except flying units. They have to go the full 20”.

And if you are Unbreakable or Immune to Psychology (and thus can’t panic), are you immune to the ability? No. You have to charge.

So if your opponent has a fearless character on a flying mount, like say a Vampire Lord on a Zombie Dragon, you can just teleport them 20” out of their lines with no counterplay, sacrificing a cheap character, and then flank charge them with a block of Bloodletters with Herald (or two blocks!) and grind them into paste. No actual interaction takes places at any point.

The entire book was like that, just full of dumb gotcha rules and gruesomely overpowered and undercosted characters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think that was also the era of Eldar D weapons as well.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Cooked Auto posted:

IIRC all superheavy walkers had a strength D stomp attack so the play for knighs/wraithknights etc once they got in combat was to both start trying to stomp on eachother's toes to trigger the strength D instakill.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

WHFB daemon hell

I remember being at a warhammer event where two guys had the exact same daemon list, widely believed to be the best possible list in the game. One guy won it and the other was in the bottom third of results, something I'd have said was genuinely impossible. I kind of wish I'd been a fly on the wall for his games because I've no idea how that happened. Hams truly are a land of contrasts

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I miss that (goon produced?) YouTube of Eldar giving you the D to a DMX song.

Christ, which Daemons army book had the WD bonus supplement introducing Soul Grinders? It was just a fuckoff huge 40k tank dropped into the game because they wanted to sell more of them.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Those Guard point adjustments are very substantial. I had a 1000pts list I really liked, but it was 5pts over. Now I'm 5pts under and I fit in my armoured sentinel.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Did a quick google search which gave me a reddit post, now I'm asking here to confirm.

If you have a model attach to one of it's eligible units, and those units have differing movement speeds, which movement speed is used?

I was debating having a Spiritseer run with a Wraithlord but if that will make the Wraithlord have to go at the speed of the Spiritseer, that's obviously not good (for me).

edit: actually less bad than I thought, I was remembering my Wraithlord's movement speed from crusade where it got buffed, 8" (WL) now versus 7" (SS) so it's in the realm of possibility :)

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 8, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You just have to maintain coherency so your fast leader can do donuts around the unit if you want. You can use the extra move to get in charge range and pull the rest of the guys forward too.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
After calling wayyyyyyyy too many stores around Sydney I have purchased the last 2 boxes of Venomthropes probably in the country. I also found out Maleceptors are web order only from GW.

Here is what I am looking to run. I just don't know if 100 swarm units is enough.

Swarma (2000 Points)

Tyranids

Unending Swarm

Strike Force (2000 Points)

CHARACTERS

Tervigon (190 Points)

• 1x Massive scything talons

1x Stinger salvoes

The Swarmlord (270 Points)

• 1x Bone sabres

1x Synaptic pulse

Winged Tyranid Prime (85 Points)

• 1x Prime talons

• Enhancements: Relentless Hunger

Gargoyles (150 Points)

• 20x Gargoyle

• 20x Blinding venom

20x Fleshborer

Hormagaunts (130 Points)

• 20x Hormagaunt

• 20x Hormagaunt talons

Hormagaunts (130 Points)

• 20x Hormagaunt

• 20x Hormagaunt talons

Termagants (120 Points)

• 20x Termagant

• 20x Chitinous claws and teeth

20x Spinefists

Termagants (120 Points)

• 20x Termagant

• 20x Chitinous claws and teeth

20x Spinefists

Lictor (60 Points)

• 1x Lictor claws and talons

Lictor (60 Points)

• 1x Lictor claws and talons

Maleceptor (170 Points)

1x Psychic overload

Maleceptor (170 Points)

1x Psychic overload

Pyrovores (30 Points)

• 1x Chitin-barbed limbs

1x Flamespurt

Pyrovores (30 Points)

• 1x Chitin-barbed limbs

1x Flamespurt

Ripper Swarms (20 Points)

• 1x Chitinous claws and teeth

Ripper Swarms (20 Points)

• 1x Chitinous claws and teeth

Tyrannofex (245 Points)

• 1x Powerful limbs

1x Rupture cannon

1x Stinger salvoes

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, I think I finished my Broodlord, but I'm not sure what to do beyond what I did, I havent varnished it yet, can I get some thoughts, comments and critiques?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
The only thing that jumps out to me is that the eyes are a bit nondescript compared to the rest of the scheme. They don't pop like your other details do.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

The only thing that jumps out to me is that the eyes are a bit nondescript compared to the rest of the scheme. They don't pop like your other details do.

Do you have any suggestions? I guess i can try making them blood red instead of yellow

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Broodlord eyes are also just kinda really beady and sunken in under those eyebrows. You can only do so much with them unless you're specifically photographing the model from slightly below.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

ro5s posted:

IIRC all superheavy walkers had a strength D stomp attack so the play for knighs/wraithknights etc once they got in combat was to both start trying to stomp on eachother's toes to trigger the strength D instakill.

Strength D stomps would have been less powerful than what they had. D3 small blast templates, roll 1D6 for each - on a 2-5 everyone takes a S6 hit, on a 6 every model touched is removed from play, no rolls no saves gently caress you.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cooked Auto posted:

Can't forget the lists that would run a pair of invisible Wraithknights

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Real nice for the app to lock Tyranids content before the codex even ships.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Al-Saqr posted:

Do you have any suggestions? I guess i can try making them blood red instead of yellow

I used a light green and Tesseract Glow for my eyes. Don't know if there's a similar yellow tone paint.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Devorum posted:

Real nice for the app to lock Tyranids content before the codex even ships.

Just checked it, wow they wont even let you see the regular index data sheets, absolute scumbags lol.

Guess its time to uninstall the app!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Please Games Workshop. Please just realize that making the rules freely available lowers the barrier of entry to your game and makes you more money.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Please Games Workshop. Please just realize that making the rules freely available lowers the barrier of entry to your game and makes you more money.

I prayed to god above for mercy from eternal torment, and god looked down and simply whispered "No."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Al-Saqr posted:

I prayed to god above for mercy from eternal torment, and god looked down and simply whispered "lol. lmao.”

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

It probably doesn't though

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It makes multiple armies possible in a dangerous way.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Removing access to the index seems extremely stupid. In my circle, having access to a free baseline set of rules for all factions not only brought interest back for main armies but also prompted me to take a look at a few of the others. I was tempted to pick up some IG or Tau, even if it didn't translate to more sales in my case.

I did end up buying into a bunch of Necromunda stuff that I wouldn't have picked up if not for the free rules getting me to try more 40K and increasing my interest in miniatures in general. I also bought a few new kits to expand my AdMech options since I used a troop heavy list in 9th and welp.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

It probably doesn't though

I got into 40k again because my little brother bought some Necrons and I played some games against him using Bolt Action WW2 guys as Imperial Guard, using rules I found on Wahapedia. Had the rules not been available for free, albeit illegally, I would not have done this. I would not have spent 100$+ on books just to play a couple of casual games of a game I didn't care about at the time.

This has spiralled into me spending multiple thousands of dollars on GW product in the years since.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Removing the index makes sense, given that those rules are now obsolete.

However I expected that we'd still be able to see at least a partial datasheet reference for codex units. In 9th you still saw the statline & keywords without owning the codex. Also doesn't the AOS app let you see full warscrolls for units, and only hides the faction-specific rules?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Al-Saqr posted:

Just checked it, wow they wont even let you see the regular index data sheets, absolute scumbags lol.

Guess its time to uninstall the app!

what the actual gently caress

they never locked off datasheets for all of 9th.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Hobby stuff
To clarify, I was saying it probably doesn't make more money; of course free rules juice model sales to some degree. Presumably the books also make money though.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is it possible the list builder just had the old items removed for the time being and will have the new items deployed on the official day of the codex release?

Edit to add: I also still see the Tyranid index available on the Warhammer Community site, so it is still there? Presumably will be replaced by an updated version on the official day of codex release, but will not include the new codex specific subfactions? (Or whatever we are calling subfactions now)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is it possible the list builder just had the old items removed for the time being and will have the new items deployed on the official day of the codex release?

Edit to add: I also still see the Tyranid index available on the Warhammer Community site, so it is still there? Presumably will be replaced by an updated version on the official day of codex release, but will not include the new codex specific subfactions? (Or whatever we are calling subfactions now)

On the app i can only see the combat patrol datasheets, im sure on the website its still technically free

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

:hmmyes:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

On the app i can only see the combat patrol datasheets, im sure on the website its still technically free

I have never used the app before, so I downloaded it and can see what you are saying. Still, might be worth waiting until the official release of the codex to see exactly what they do with the app's rules. As much as I have questioned some of GW's decisions before, I think it is prudent to wait a day or two here and see how it all falls out.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

quote:

This release also contains all the datasheets, Detachments, points, and Enhancements from Codex: Tyranids. To access these additions, you’ll activate them using the unique code printed in your copy of the Codex.

This material replaces the current Tyranid Index on the app, and your existing lists will remain intact. Without a code, you’ll still be able to access the points values – as laid out in the most up-to-date Munitorum Field Manual – as well as the rules for Imperial Armour datasheets and the Tyranid Combat Patrol.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The one time I go to bat for GW and they backstab me like this. What a bunch of assholes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Seems to be the same setup as 9th. You can build a list but can't see the special rules or statlines unless you have a code from the physical book. Kinda dumb but not the worst I guess.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I've just seen the new Tyranid video and really want to know how this dude wasn't picked as the new codex cover.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Seems to be the same setup as 9th. You can build a list but can't see the special rules or statlines unless you have a code from the physical book. Kinda dumb but not the worst I guess.

No this is worst than 9th because they never locked you out of seeing the basic statlines of the units and weapons.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

The issue is they locked it down before anyone even has the codex. Like, there's no possible way to use the app to build a Tyranids army right now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh hell, back to Battlescribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

All i gotta do is wait for the official release tomorrow then wait for the codex to reach me in a week then ill be able to use the app!