Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This writer is a dumbass. Terminal lucidity is real, we don't fully understand why, but that doesn't mean the only options are hoax or magic. I've had a near-death experience; a pulmonary embolism left me clinically dead, and I was resuscitated. The doctors told me that judging by the scans, I should have died several hours before I called 911, but I survived because I'm young. Maybe my body was surging with adrenaline to keep me alive, and that's why I felt the sense of impending doom that presages cardiac arrest. I'm guessing it's something similar that helps a dying brain make those connections in its last moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
NDEs, shared NDEs, terminal lucidity and deathbed visions are some of the things which make me wonder whether there's more to life and the universe than we currently understand.

For deathbed visions, some memorable ones for famous people which stick in my mind are:

Roger Ebert:

quote:

The one thing people might be surprised about—Roger said that he didn't know if he could believe in God. He had his doubts. But toward the end, something really interesting happened. That week before Roger passed away, I would see him and he would talk about having visited this other place. I thought he was hallucinating. I thought they were giving him too much medication. But the day before he passed away, he wrote me a note: "This is all an elaborate hoax." I asked him, "What's a hoax?" And he was talking about this world, this place. He said it was all an illusion. I thought he was just confused. But he was not confused. He wasn't visiting heaven, not the way we think of heaven. He described it as a vastness that you can't even imagine. It was a place where the past, present, and future were happening all at once.

Dudley Moore:

quote:

Rena Fruchter was holding his hand when he died; she reported his final words were "I can hear the music all around me."

Steve Jobs:

quote:

"Steve's final words, hours earlier, were monosyllables, repeated three times.

"Before embarking, he'd looked at his sister Patty, then for a long time at his children, then at his life's partner, Laurene, and then over their shoulders past them.

"Steve's final words were: 'Oh wow. Oh wow. Oh wow.'"

For the last one, it's probably 50/50 on whether he'd realised what a massive prick he'd been, if not i guess there's hope for us all?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I am the bio larper
twisted bio larper

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I've been listening to old Art Bell shows as I fall asleep. Last night was a listener calling show.

Some guy called in and said when he got home from work he found the pool in his backyard half empty with a rock at the bottom. His buddy told him it was probably a meteorite and he was asking Art if he knew of anyone who would buy it from him or trade it for a Tickle Me Elmo doll.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
My grandfather died recently. A day before his death from a long illness he was like his old self. He spoke normal and not raspy. He ate normally. He joked. He looked like he was going to pull through.

He never woke up that day. I played House of the Rising Sun and the Beatles for him as I watched him fade into oblivion as his blood pooled up in his skin.

It's a momentary mercy for their family to spend one last day happy with them.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Not one to rap sheet shame but holy moley :ibadpop:

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

The Grey posted:

I've been listening to old Art Bell shows as I fall asleep. Last night was a listener calling show.

Some guy called in and said when he got home from work he found the pool in his backyard half empty with a rock at the bottom. His buddy told him it was probably a meteorite and he was asking Art if he knew of anyone who would buy it from him or trade it for a Tickle Me Elmo doll.

Lol

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I am the bio larper
twisted bio larper

haha yes

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Had a weird alien dream. I was taking to my mom (who died on Christmas Day of 2021) and it was about aliens. Basically she'd describe one type or another and they were mostly fine. I don't recall the descriptions, really?

But then she got to greys and was like "these are bad news." Then I asked about tall whites??? And she said those were also not really great.

I never really talked about alien stuff with her, and when it did come up she held pretty religious views on them. That greys were demons, etc. In fact, the demon angle was part of the dream, but only to say greys aren't that. Just Not Nice.

Very weird. Probably just from having aliens on the brain lately, but it seemed kind of adjacent to the thread.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

my orb bae always has a uap

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

“From birth on,” he writes, “she was seriously retarded. She had never learned to speak a single word. She stared for hours on a particular spot, then fidgeted for hours without a break. She gorged her food, fouled herself day and night, uttered an animal-like sound, and slept … never [taking] notice of her environment even for a second.”

I feel seen

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
national reconnaissance office? more like national orb office amirite???

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Man I've had an unreasonable number of synchronicities in the last week and a half or so, normally this is not something that happens to me. Matrix is glitching.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sharknado slashfic posted:

Man I've had an unreasonable number of synchronicities in the last week and a half or so, normally this is not something that happens to me. Matrix is glitching.

Your post about synchronicity is pretty synchronicitous for me cos I've just started watching Hellier and boy is there a lot of talk of synchronicity in that

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
Speaking of synchronicity, the Hellier team has a new movie debuting tonight~

https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclusives/3778251/greg-and-dana-newkirk-discuss-the-unbinding-and-the-unnerving-case-of-the-crone-interview/

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

mr_jolly posted:

"He wasn't visiting heaven, not the way we think of heaven. He described it as a vastness that you can't even imagine. It was a place where the past, present, and future were happening all at once."

:hmmyes:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This is how I would expect a Flatlander to describe being ripped out into 3D space if, say, objects typically traverse through their world unidirectionally. They'd be like, "Wow! I can see the past, present and future slices of that thing all at once!"

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
have you guys played the old game prey from 2006 it's good

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

endocriminologist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPKjMc6GM4Q

that we get 87 call of duty sequels but this franchise fell into development hell is further proof that god has moved on to more interesting projects and forgotten to turn off the simulator

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Oh lord

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I never heard of this and just started it and... it's so good.

Led me to this book which is really my jam (and thread-related) https://archive.org/details/greenfield-allen-h.-secret-cipher-of-the-ufonauts-1994_202012/mode/1up

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

fun little read on reddit:
"Who was the inventor Gary Gochnour? He has a series of patents that are incredibly complex and UFO-like. His father served in the WW2 Italian theater in the 760th Armored as an officer, not far from Magenta. Did his father play any role in the SIAI facility capture? Are these patents a leak?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/16cni5w/who_was_the_inventor_gary_gochnour_he_has_a/

quote:

"In view of a near miss of the earth by an asteroid during a recent tsunami, an asteroid impact that would have put us into the ice ages, and, in view of expected impacts by this asteroid in 2029 or 2036, this patent is highly opportune."

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Yes, and Art Bell is in it!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I only played the demo at the time but it still left a pretty big impression on me.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I mostly remember the sphincter doors

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Prey 2006 and Prey 2017 are both great games and especially great for this thread, the latter is one of the better explorations of alien life that's really alien I've seen in visual media.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

helta posted:

fun little read on reddit:
"Who was the inventor Gary Gochnour? He has a series of patents that are incredibly complex and UFO-like. His father served in the WW2 Italian theater in the 760th Armored as an officer, not far from Magenta. Did his father play any role in the SIAI facility capture? Are these patents a leak?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/16cni5w/who_was_the_inventor_gary_gochnour_he_has_a/

:lol: NORAD shot down manned test vehicles

good job, military industrial complex

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

that's a great theory for all the secrecy, Biden demanded they shoot down the UAPs immediately to look strong

listen here Jack, how do I keep my test pilots alive?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The new Prey was fun

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The new Prey was fun

yeah that game kicks rear end. you can inject aliens into your eyes to become an unstoppable sloshing mass of black goop or just get really good at shotguns or turn into a coffee cup.
mooncrash was also a lot of fun and had some cool new mechanics. prey is the best arkane game imho

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Deus ex for the Epstein thread and prey(either) for the ufo thread

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Grey posted:

Isn't this just the movie Cocoon?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

prey 2006 is also abandonware and runs fine on modern windows

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I mean...fafo to the folks just flying those around I guess.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i enjoyed prey by watching civvie 11 play it i think

solid experience a+

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Terence McKenna genuinely believed synchronicity was a phenomena you could cause or that would follow with psychedelic drug use, since it broke through the outer layers of our society and individual consciousness. In short, what is the last time you did psychedelics, which one and how much, please

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Inspector Hound posted:

Terence McKenna genuinely believed synchronicity was a phenomena you could cause or that would follow with psychedelic drug use, since it broke through the outer layers of our society and individual consciousness. In short, what is the last time you did psychedelics, which one and how much, please

2c-b, Saturday, approx 20 mg to start, approx 16 two hours later

Went wild camping, it kinda sucked (the camping part anyway lol)

Got told off by the hindu pantheon for not taking adequate care of my body and for my arrogance, may also have accidentally uncovered my feminine aspect. All in all it had its ups and downs

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
listening to this at work, figured it fits the vibe of the thread, i come back to Klaatu every once in a while, i like this album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ4IUjjVfng

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

There Bias Two posted:

This is how I would expect a Flatlander to describe being ripped out into 3D space if, say, objects typically traverse through their world unidirectionally. They'd be like, "Wow! I can see the past, present and future slices of that thing all at once!"

also what grant morrison describes in his out-of-body alien abduction experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I mostly remember the sphincter doors

I remember this, the bit where you turn into a tiny person on a tiny planet in a glass box, and the cool gun that had three different kinds of ammo