Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Eight Men Out is great. Boys of Summer also of course, if we're talking about the classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So many names you could put in that image

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Lords of the Realm is great.

I think this should be mandatory reading for anyone who gives even a small poo poo about how the game is and has been run. For ending literally 30 years ago, it's still remarkably relevant, because rich people will always be stupid and petty.

Veeck as in Wreck is also good. The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball was a pretty good read in post Bill James sabermetrics, even if it covers a very short period of time and is pretty out of date statistically.

...uh... Moneyball?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Exodor posted:

Ragans has been so good.

I'm going to be so sad when he exits a game with "forearm soreness" and goes on the shelf for a year with TJ because the Royals can't have nice things.

I hate how the Rangers handled Ragans, and even without hindsight I would have rather kept him. But he was available because he's already had two TJ's, and his arm could fall off at any moment. I wish him the best and hope he kills it with the Royals.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Austin Riley sitting today, was presumed to be just September rest when the lineup was announced earlier but Snitker said he's actually sick.

Is there a consensus first book to read about about the Negro Leagues?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Austin Riley sitting today, was presumed to be just September rest when the lineup was announced earlier but Snitker said he's actually sick.

Is there a consensus first book to read about about the Negro Leagues?

The classic one is Only The Ball Was White

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

wtf

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Here's the pitch and lmao CB

https://twitter.com/thecomeback/status/1699505214007672852

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

zoux posted:

Oh man the Nationals are about to gently caress up to an insane degree

DC sports, man.

It's literally insane that the Nationals and the Capitals have won championships in the last five years. Now my buddies want to place a group bet on the Commanders over win total... have they learned nothing?!?!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i personally think it's a tragedy the washington football team did not stay named the washington football team and also the guardians should have just been the cleavland baseball team (because it's funny)

braves should be the 'atlanta shouldn't exist because sherman should have been allowed to finish the jobses"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It really is sad how ugly they made TV broadcasts . It’s hard to just watch a random game on tv

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

euphronius posted:

It really is sad how ugly they made TV broadcasts . It’s hard to just watch a random game on tv

Wall to wall ads and 50% of them are alcohol and gambling.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I hope the Nats suggested the idea to Strasburg and he’d already been considering it himself given all the rehab struggles. It’d be so lovely if they’re strong-arming him into retirement, especially while the team is so dire these days and the fanbase on life support.

I know it’s going to wind up being the latter, but maybe not.

It is.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

maffew buildings posted:

i personally think it's a tragedy the washington football team did not stay named the washington football team and also the guardians should have just been the cleavland baseball team (because it's funny)

braves should be the 'atlanta shouldn't exist because sherman should have been allowed to finish the jobses"

Braves should be forced to rename to the Atlanta Black Crackers again

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Still trotting out the rotting corpse of Waino just feels cruel at this point

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nats probably promised Strasburg some MASN money and Angelos got wind of it

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

:yeshaha:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

he had his chance to ride off into the sunset with pujols and yadi

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh Adolis Garcia is out with a strained patellar tendon. The way he was reacting yesterday I thought it was a lot more serious.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

Oh Adolis Garcia is out with a strained patellar tendon. The way he was reacting yesterday I thought it was a lot more serious.

It's not nothing. Especially with so little time left in the season. That could be it for him unless the Rangers make the playoffs

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
lol that's a new one

https://twitter.com/YankeeWRLD/status/1699945847260119281?s=20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

how on earth did he think that was foul lol

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

That WS is hazy

I think Hamels got blown up and the Phillies didn’t have a third starter

The bats also went ice cold at all the wrong moments

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fuckin hell, he went in with like a 8+ era and a 1.9+ whip and they both went up

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

more falafel please posted:

Speaking of baseball books: any recs? I've got a trip to Europe with a lot of train travel coming up.

Besides the other recs:

Ball Four
The Glory of Their Times (about the deadball era)
Where They Ain't (about the 1890s Baltimore Orioles)
The Black Prince of Baseball (Hal Chase)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anyone here going to read the forthcoming Posnanski book?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

These are some good recs. Thanks. Speaking of forthcoming books, Mike Duncan is working on one about Koufax.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Dinosaurs! posted:

Speaking of forthcoming books, Mike Duncan is working on one about Koufax.

:aaa: that's gonna be a pre-order for me

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

thinking about tommy pham slapping the absolute poo poo out of joc pederson over a fantasy football rules dispute

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Stephen Jay Gould's Triumph and Tragedy in Mudville is a pretty breezy read. And it's just collected essays, so it's easily digestible.

Seconding Veeck as in Wreck.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Underworld is not DeLillo’s best book but then again it’s not his worst and it is very much a baseball novel

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

get his rear end, tony
https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1699937060801421372?s=20

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

more falafel please posted:

Speaking of baseball books: any recs? I've got a trip to Europe with a lot of train travel coming up.

Slouching Towards Fargo is an incredible book, chronicling Darryl Strawberry on the St Paul Saints and the Northern League in general in the mid to late 90s. It’s an amazing read.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Paul O'Neill spitting truth

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GPTribefan posted:

Slouching Towards Fargo is an incredible book, chronicling Darryl Strawberry on the St Paul Saints and the Northern League in general in the mid to late 90s. It’s an amazing read.

Oh I might have to read that. I miss having the Saints in the same league as the Redhawks (and now Chicago Dogs.)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pungry posted:

Last time the Mariners lost 3 in a row, they won the next 8 straight.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

R.D. Mangles posted:

thinking about tommy pham slapping the absolute poo poo out of joc pederson over a fantasy football rules dispute

My favorite part is that Joc didn't realize Pham had been traded to the team he was playing against and he had been actively HIDING from him.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/ciPNe0X.mp4

lol

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

anyone here going to read the forthcoming Posnanski book?

Nah I lost a lot of respect for Posnanski after that godawful Paterno book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

loving lmao