Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Selling books online was the one Genius / Lucky move that Bezos did.
He's not special, his website was just the easiest to use.

Bezos picked Books specifically because Books have a pretty stable price, and don't degenerate that quickly.

It was easy to make fans because book-people could find those obscure titles

A normal book-chain has tons of wasted space by being in many places with the same books.
Amazon, having one big warehouse in the middle of nowhere and mailing stuff out with the US Postal Service was easy enough.

Books taught amazon how to ship poo poo.
It's not a big deal if a book gets lost in the mail, just send another one out, and nobody wants to steal a book.

It works like a pawn shop. Look at colleges who get kids to pay 100 dollars for a book, and then get 10 dollars back.

Compare it to grocery stores and Restaurants..
Groceries are tough because a lot of food stuff goes to waste.

And the hardest business is Restaurants.
If you want to lose money, open a restaurant.

The amazon restaurant is going to be insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1699876973152026757

lol sounds like it’s gonna be awhile then

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

holy poo poo

badass

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Selling books online was the one Genius / Lucky move that Bezos did.
He's not special, his website was just the easiest to use.

Bezos picked Books specifically because Books have a pretty stable price, and don't degenerate that quickly.

It was easy to make fans because book-people could find those obscure titles

A normal book-chain has tons of wasted space by being in many places with the same books.
Amazon, having one big warehouse in the middle of nowhere and mailing stuff out with the US bexoPostal Service was easy enough.

Books taught amazon how to ship poo poo.
It's not a big deal if a book gets lost in the mail, just send another one out, and nobody wants to steal a book.

It works like a pawn shop. Look at colleges who get kids to pay 100 dollars for a book, and then get 10 dollars back.

Compare it to grocery stores and Restaurants..
Groceries are tough because a lot of food stuff goes to waste.

And the hardest business is Restaurants.
If you want to lose money, open a restaurant.

The amazon restaurant is going to be insane

bezos is an ex hedge funder who had full VC backing to take his time and corner markets.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

ArmZ posted:

bezos is an ex hedge funder who had full VC backing to take his time and corner markets.

Oh Really? I got it wrong, I thought he got money from his family, that allowed him to start his business.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1699859920575709619?s=20

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
team sophie or team jonas?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Oh Really? I got it wrong, I thought he got money from his family, that allowed him to start his business.

he did

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Conan.... mod??

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my coworker just expressed to me that he "doesn't watch any content that was filmed before HD" as if it was an original, interesting position to have and now I sort of think he's a fuckin idiot.

he's extremely stupid

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

he's extremely stupid

Doesn't 35mm film have something like 5K equivalent resolution? Does he think everything before the 2000s was just filmed on video like a cheap horror movie?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

In "all rich people are depraved and connected to each other" news - Masterton's wife is the daughter of John Philips of the Mamas the the Papas, who introduced his other daughter MacKenzie to coke when she was 9 years old and perpetuated a 10 year incestuous relationship with her. John's bandmate Mama Cass was known for procuring women for parties for the same West Coast circles frequented by Dennis Wilson, Charlie Manson etc,

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my coworker just expressed to me that he "doesn't watch any content that was filmed before HD" as if it was an original, interesting position to have and now I sort of think he's a fuckin idiot.

this is especially funny to me because most content filmed before HD can be remastered into at least 720p depending on era, and most often into 4k, because 35mm film is boss
e;fb

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

awkward_turtle posted:

Doesn't 35mm film have something like 5K equivalent resolution? Does he think everything before the 2000s was just filmed on video like a cheap horror movie?

Yeah, it's kinda funny how good older footage looks compared to most of what was produced in the '90s and '00s. Directors who shot on film during the heyday of video probably seemed old fashioned, but they're the ones whose legacy doesn't look like poo poo today.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the general (1926) looks fuckin amazing in 720p
not on youtube though, youtube decided 3kb/s is enough for 720p or something, anything under 1080p is blocky city there now

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

this is especially funny to me because most content filmed before HD can be remastered into at least 720p depending on era, and most often into 4k, because 35mm film is boss
e;fb

so much tv poo poo was shot on digital tape and it is pretty unwatchable, hope this helps

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

so much tv poo poo was shot on digital tape and it is pretty unwatchable, hope this helps

the co-worker is still dumb

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the co-worker is still dumb

I'm just saying there was some easily attainable common ground here

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
never concede, never surrender

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
digital tape had a short lifespan of mid-90s to mid-00s, so it's no big loss :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Aren't soap operas filmed at a higher quality than normal TV and normal TV cant use it because then people will think it's a soap opera?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Aren't soap operas filmed at a higher quality than normal TV and normal TV cant use it because then people will think it's a soap opera?

it's a higher frame rate, afaik

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

you need all the frames you can get for the sword fights

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

HootTheOwl posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I hate TVs that have interpolation that make everything feel like a soap opera. Logically I understand it's running at a higher frame rate and it's smoother and more realistic but I do not like it at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
interpolation is hardly the same as higher framerate

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
more frames = less cinematic

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the most cinematic something can be is a painting, which approaches the limit of 0 fps over time

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this is why anime is the highest form of motion picture

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
also the slower you read comics/manga/graphic novels, the more cinematic they become

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I make sure motion smoothing is turned on

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Why ARE soap operas broadcast in a higher frame rate? I always thought it was weird soaps specifically did that, you'd think that'd be the realm of stuff like football or basketball

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Why ARE soap operas broadcast in a higher frame rate? I always thought it was weird soaps specifically did that, you'd think that'd be the realm of stuff like football or basketball

sports also broadcast at higher frame rates. Idk why soaps do it, maybe they got all their shooting equipment second hand from the sports studio?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Justin Tyme posted:

Football and Basketball are shot from afar, and broadcast in real time.
Film costs more money and I think they're all done on digital now.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J0Dan0WaZk

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

sending this to my dad

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Thank you Tom Cruise. Motion smoothers are the scum of the earth

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

sending this to my dad

goin over to family's house for holidays and finding out their tv settings are set to "circus mode" of motion smoothed hosed up contrast "cinema" settings is a time honored tradition

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Justin Tyme posted:

TV in the states is broadcast at 60hz to match the frequency of the electricity (can't remember if there's a good reason for them to match but in europe it's also 50hz). used to be cinema and tv were pretty fundamentally different in how an image got to your eye but they've pretty much converged. 24hz broadcast on a traditional TV setup would have looked like flickery garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
soap operas were never broadcast in a higher frame rate; they were broadcast at 60 Hz (technically shot at 30 Hz due to the way video cameras worked). higher-budget TV, like seinfeld, MASH, etc. were mostly shot on 24 fps film, which was then broadcast on 60 Hz television via a technique called "telecine transfer"