Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A few more things inspired by the Swallow's Compass thoughts (though not strictly limited to the dungeon)

The Encyclopaedia Eorzea II has some write-ups for the Tengu and the zombie with the fancy hat. Since it's not an in-game source, behind the spoiler bars it goes, but I will at least note that it's more lore trivia in nature than anything.
The Tengu always conceal their faces around others - their masks are mystical in nature, more conjured illusion than physical object, and are said to be further enspelled to destroy the tengu's true visage upon death. As such, they are never seen eating around others, though they enjoy drink. Ganen's tutor is claimed to have been a tengu, and Geomancy itself is thought to be rooted in tengu magicks. They have no known government, but occasionally bands will form around powerful individuals.

The Sai Taisui are actually not flesh and blood people, living or unliving, but geomantically animated golems created from mud taken from rare locations where currents of earth, wind, and water interconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

jalapeno_dude posted:

I'm glad you did do the last Kojin rank; I honestly couldn't tell whether you were doing a bit with how you talked about the "ending".

Both Wikipedia and the FF wiki seem to think that the singer of Sunrise, and Suzaku's (and Krile's!) Japanese VA, is Yoshino Nanjō.

For the second, you're absolutely right. What the hell, how did I get entirely the wrong Voice Actress? Kondo isn't even in 14, though weirdly she is in Final Fantasy Type 0. I definitely clicked a wrong thing while I was researching somehow. Well, most of the overall point still stands, Nanjo's singing and voice work is also well renowned and in line with what I was saying about Kondo. I'll just need to rewrite that paragraph somewhat. Thanks for the catch.

As for the other thing, like I said, since there were no new Dailies and the main thrust of the conflict was over, I considered Sworn to be the "end," of the Tribal story, with Bloodsworn being an epilogue that I'll cover later.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Suzaku is great, Sunrise is great. Maybe it's nostalgia because she was my first extreme but drat I love that song.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Sanguinia posted:

Could this mean that Koryu was the product of an Ascian plot?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I have re-written the Jpop rant section of the chapter to account for that embarrassing Voice Actor mistake. Maybe some day I'll figure out how I messed that up so badly.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
Since no one else has pointed it out yet, Tenzen and Suzaku here are also meant to be a reference to FF11's Tenzen and his Phoenix blade. Just hop over to Fat and Useless's FF11 LP and compare both Tenzens to each other.

You should also check out Fat and Useless's FF11 LP because it is very good!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Melomane Mallet posted:

Since no one else has pointed it out yet, Tenzen and Suzaku here are also meant to be a reference to FF11's Tenzen and his Phoenix blade. Just hop over to Fat and Useless's FF11 LP and compare both Tenzens to each other.

This tbh. Having both LPs going at once makes me all warm and fuzzy, and F&U deserves more views for all the work that's going into that thing dangit

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Melomane Mallet posted:

Sanguinia posted:

This tbh. Having both LPs going at once makes me all warm and fuzzy, and F&U deserves more views for all the work that's going into that thing dangit

We are in the middle of three paths, no one deserves the hell I'm :justpost:ing through.

(honestly three paths is good but you'll never catch me saying it in my thread)

If you want to learn specifically about Tenzen just start at Chains, you probably aren't missing anything important and if you are then crap, mea culpa.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Fat and Useless posted:

We are in the middle of three paths, no one deserves the hell I'm :justpost:ing through.

(honestly three paths is good but you'll never catch me saying it in my thread)

If you want to learn specifically about Tenzen just start at Chains, you probably aren't missing anything important and if you are then crap, mea culpa.

How did I not know about this LP before??

You kids and trusts are lucky, I did CoP back in the days where the level caps were still enforced. :negative:

e: Also, I played XI until 2020. I didn't get into XIV until then despite my best efforts. I wanted to really like XIV, but it took like 5 tries before it clicked. I still have a 1.0 character hanging around, though he never got to level 20.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 8, 2023

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah Tataru,, still putting way too power in her carbies. It is still quite impressive of how much aether she ends up putting into them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tataru is certainly unique in the way she forms and commands her carbuncle. The fact that they don't follow her orders is certainly something that could be remedied if they ever thought she needed combat prowess, mayhaps a different equation or two would suffice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I imagine Tataru probably could've learned better control of her Carbuncle if she hadn't quit immediately after Lesson 1.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Kwyndig posted:

Tataru is certainly unique in the way she forms and commands her carbuncle. The fact that they don't follow her orders is certainly something that could be remedied if they ever thought she needed combat prowess, mayhaps a different equation or two would suffice.
Carbuncles are actually driven to apoplectic fury when summoned using double entry bookkeeping

Tragically avoidable mistake, really

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tataru didn't need to be good at fighting she needed to feel useful. She could learn to get good at fighting but why do that when she can feel useful in ways that don't require learning an entirely new discipline?

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Suzuka has great music and I remember my time fighting her resulted in at least a few of the other players in the Trial dying because they had no clue about her mechanics such as the DDR one where they just stood there doing nothing.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Pyro Jack posted:

Suzuka has great music and I remember my time fighting her resulted in at least a few of the other players in the Trial dying because they had no clue about her mechanics such as the DDR one where they just stood there doing nothing.

I remember the instructions the game gives you are weird, IIRC it says "stand upon the correct spot" not "face the correct direction". But in my experience everyone figures it out after the first set of orbs at the latest.

The thing that people really don't seem to get these days is that you're not supposed to let the adds at the start get revived; you're supposed to kill them all in the middle and then kill the feather that appears there. Between ilvl and power creep bursting the revived adds down is now generally possible but back at release if more than one add revived you were wiping for sure.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

jalapeno_dude posted:

The thing that people really don't seem to get these days is that you're not supposed to let the adds at the start get revived; you're supposed to kill them all in the middle and then kill the feather that appears there. Between ilvl and power creep bursting the revived adds down is now generally possible but back at release if more than one add revived you were wiping for sure.
There's also a memory issue of remembering the mechanics between normal and extreme.

IIRC on extreme you split up into dps-support pairs and pull an add toward a feather on your cardinal/intercardinal spot, kill the add, then kill the feather. I've been with people that forget which thing you do on which difficulty.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Luckily, the feathers come super early in the fight, so if the party explodes it's more akin to getting flushed by the tidal wave at the start of Shinryu.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

And then people forget she has a knock back and a pull in and die and you have to redo the DDR which is so slow and bad.

Worst bit of the fight, really. I had to run Suzaku Ex a lot (for the card)

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

And of course, there's no easier way to grief your party than the Rescue Hole.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

And then people forget she has a knock back and a pull in and die and you have to redo the DDR which is so slow and bad.

I always just used knockback mitigation whenever I heard a flute.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016

jalapeno_dude posted:

I remember the instructions the game gives you are weird, IIRC it says "stand upon the correct spot" not "face the correct direction". But in my experience everyone figures it out after the first set of orbs at the latest.

Being wiped still happens considering that I remember that happening during the trial against her.

Pyro Jack fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 9, 2023

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Worst bit of the fight, really. I had to run Suzaku Ex a lot (for the card)

the DDR section is mercifully short enough that i didn't mind it too terribly. at least it's not byakko's one hundred year free-fall phase

it's kind of a difficult balancing act of wanting fights to have their own spin to things to break up the monotony between fights, but also not break up the pacing of the fights themselves to their own detriment. personally i generally think it's fine to go all-out with gimmicks and cinematic phases in fights you do once for progression and then whenever roulette decides you should do it again like trials, or fights you do once a week like on-tier normal and alliance raids, but for fights that take a lot of time to prog and are designed to be farmed like extreme trials and savage raids you wanna tone them down or straight-up remove them because there's no gimmick on the face of this earth that doesn't go from fresh to tired to grating over the course of 10 or 20 or 50 or 100 pulls

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 9, 2023

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I dunno, having it done 68 times, the DDR Phase blows IMHO. Cards should have some sort of bad luck protection tho

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

yeah i'm not saying i wouldn't be happier if suzaku ex didn't have it, just that it's one of the least bad unique intermission gimmicks

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I love the DDR section but I try not to grind this game endlessly outside of running stuff for BLU so I haven't gotten sick of it yet.

Also Suzaku has an amazingly fun and useful BLU spell

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I just realized that I probably have neglected to bring up something neat that these games do with the Garleans, that being that each Legatus is a reference to a character their legion's number corresponds to. So that could be a neat bit of a discussion.

Oh, and spoilers for Final Fantasy VI, VII, and XII, of course.

quote:

Gaius van Baelsar, XIVth Legion (Gaius van Baelsar)

Well, this is off to a great start, given he's not a reference! That being said, he's very representative of Final Fantasy XIV, being a prominent character in both Legacy and ARR. And even after he's gone, his impact is still felt on the story, as we've seen in Stormblood digging into his effect on Ala Mhigan territories.

Since I don't really have anything else to add here, I'll note that in Legacy, he sounds like Darth Vader in FMV cutscenes, which is pretty cool. There's also a funny Legacy cutscene where Cid chews him out for being a lapdog for Nael, and he responds by petulantly shooting Cid in the arm with a magitek slug and walking away. How very glib.

quote:

Nael van Darnus, VIIth Legion (Sephiroth)

Without a doubt the easiest one to catch, Nael (re: Eula) is based on the main baddie of Final Fantasy VII. Some people like to attribute Sephiroth to Zenos, which isn't an unfair comparison, but it's more direct with Nael.

- Eula is driven insane by Bahamut, similar to how Sephiroth descends into madness following his increasing exposure to Jenova.
- At one point during Legacy, Eula attacks the player character before walking through a sea of ceruleum fire, much like Sephiroth in Nibelheim.
- Much like Sephiroth's fight with Cloud in Nibelheim, Nael is thought to be dead after an initial climactic battle, only to return for a second bout several years down the line.
- Nael died offscreen at some point and was replaced by his sister. This potentially could be a nod to the (likely incorrect) fan-theory of Sephiroth being dead and just a shell for Jenova.
- While having a different endgame than Sephiroth's plot with the Black Materia, Eula intends to drop Dalamud onto Eorzea, with the correlating theme titled Meteor. (Incidentally, Zenos steals this theme music for himself.)
- Much like One-Winged Angel, Eula gets her own boss theme with Latin lyrics for her final phase: Rise of the White Raven. Both are even written by Nobuo Uematsu.

quote:

Regula van Hydrus, VIth Legion (General Leo)

Even with an expac of space between them, following Sephiroth up with Kefka would probably be a bit too similar. So instead, we get the milder option of General Leo. This gives Regula the benefit of looking like a fairly reasonable authority figure when placed alongside the others. Compared to Leo, though, he's a bit more unpleasant since he seems to be perfectly okay espousing the xenophobic terms of his nation. Then again, he's also willing to take a fatal blow to save a child from another nation.

- Leo is one of the most trusted men of Emperor Gestahl and was promoted to be one of his top soldiers; Regula shares a similar history with Varis.
- Both team up with the main heroes in an effort to try and solve a problem with summoned monsters. Granted, Leo wants to sue for peace with the espers, while Regula wants to kill the Warring Triad. Granted, both are reasonable desires.
- Both wind up killed in the aftermath of someone's bid to acquire the power of the Warring Triad, though Regula is directly killed by Zurvan while Leo is killed by Kefka.

quote:

Zenos yae Galvus, XIIth Legion (Vayne Solidor)

Finally, there's the crown prince himself, with this Garlean parallel again being tied to a main antagonist. Of course, I can't get fully into Zenos, because, uh...

Sanguinia posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Yeah. So I'll just discuss the relevant parts from what we've seen thus far. Notably, Zenos and Vayne are much more distinct than the previous two instances, as Vayne is presented as something of a well-intentioned, if power hungry, extremist, while Zenos is decidedly not.

- Much like Vayne, Zenos is the son of the current ruling emperor.
- Both XII and Stormblood begin with members of a Resistance lured into a trap by the hands of these characters that ends with a decisive defeat for the heroes.
- Vayne's ultimate motivation is to free the people of Ivalice from the control of a shadowy cabal of space ghosts and to establish himself as the Dynast-King. Zenos has a similar motivation in elevating himself above the Primals so he has nothing to fear from them.
- Both have a scientist as a right-hand man that has a heavy investment in their plans, with Doctor Cid creating manufacted nethicite for Vayne and Aulus creating the Resonant for Zenos.
- Unlike most other Final Fantasy main antagonists, Vayne prefers to use physical abilities over magic. Zenos, being Garlean, cannot naturally manipulate aether to use magic.
- At the end of XII, Vayne fuses with some technology from an airship called Bahamut to become a dragon-like being. Zenos is technologically enhanced via the Resonant and merges with Shinryu.

Feel free to correct me on any points or mention if I missed anything!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 9, 2023

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Very good post, pointing out some great references.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Yeah, the "Legate = full of references to their legion number's game" thing is one of those things I really enjoy about how the writers handled the Garlean leadership. To go on any further about it right now would be spoilers, but suffice to say, that post above is pretty extensive for what we've seen to this point.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Worth noting Gaius is a reference visually to Grahf from Xenogears.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A Sometimes Food posted:

Worth noting Gaius is a reference visually to Grahf from Xenogears.

I don't know that he's a reference, since their personalities and goals don't have much in common. But Gaius' armor is definitely reminiscent of Grahf's.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
gaius dropping in upside down in the middle of other showdowns between the Warrior of Light and an act boss to say "DO YOU BELIEVE IN EORZEA" before giving the boss a power-up would be a delightful change

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Aw poo poo lads it’s the unskippable cutscene attack

I’d also say that while fancy ornate armor and helmets aren’t exactly unique to any one series, I feel like the legati and their high ranking underlings getting their own fancy unique armor sets evokes the Judges from FFTA/FF12 rather generally, especially given that there’s a lot of shared DNA between the FF12 team and the FF14 team.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

gaius dropping in upside down in the middle of other showdowns between the Warrior of Light and an act boss to say "DO YOU BELIEVE IN EORZEA" before giving the boss a power-up would be a delightful change

The power of the glorious mother of destruction: ceruleum.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
MY MONOLOGUE IS THE DIVINE BREATH

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Thundarr posted:

I don't know that he's a reference, since their personalities and goals don't have much in common. But Gaius' armor is definitely reminiscent of Grahf's.

I said "visually".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ran Rannerson posted:

Aw poo poo lads it’s the unskippable cutscene attack

I’d also say that while fancy ornate armor and helmets aren’t exactly unique to any one series, I feel like the legati and their high ranking underlings getting their own fancy unique armor sets evokes the Judges from FFTA/FF12 rather generally, especially given that there’s a lot of shared DNA between the FF12 team and the FF14 team.

Yeah, it's pretty much the Vector Empire from VI with the Archadian armor from XII.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I just realized that I probably have neglected to bring up something neat that these games do with the Garleans, that being that each Legatus is a reference to a character their legion's number corresponds to. So that could be a neat bit of a discussion.

Oh, and spoilers for Final Fantasy VI, VII, and XII, of course.

Feel free to correct me on any points or mention if I missed anything!

Well now I await the 5th and 9th Legions with curiosity.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

If I know anything about Final Fantasy, nobody likes the Second Legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Second Legion has some nice lads and lasses with decent personality, but they have a very weird promotion system where there are no real ranks, people are just given constant report cards that list what they're good and bad at. It's a bit confusing.

Some of the soldiers decide to take turns punching each other in the face over and over and over, which gives them a high grade in "punching" on their report card.