Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frostner is good at killing fulings if you make them go through water, wet enemies take bonus frost damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
This world might be the one that finally gets me to not just build up my original base, though. I spawned next to water, and I just ran along the coast until I found a good spot close to where the meadows turn to forest. It turns out that the water is a lake with four separate barely-navigable rivers running out of it, and the forest is just a tiny patch.

On the plus side, one of those rivers cuts clean through the center of a hill that’s got to be like 30 or 40 meters high, so I might have to make the world’s most unnecessary chasm-spanning bridge once I have the technology.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Molybdenum posted:

I never stop using frostner once I get it. The slow and bonus damage vs wet enemies is too good

Edit: I expect it to perform well in the Ashlands as well

I feel like Mistwalker will probably still be the straight upgrade that it seems unless you really need blunt or spirt damage too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol I only just looked up Mistwalker, looks like a straight downgrade from the black metal sword?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Lol I only just looked up Mistwalker, looks like a straight downgrade from the black metal sword?

Stats-wise it is- but it clears the mist like a wisp, letting you equip another special item like the strength belt.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Stats-wise it is- but it clears the mist like a wisp, letting you equip another special item like the strength belt.

It's substantially smaller than a wisp though so I generally end up carrying one anyway.
What the Mistwalker does have is frost damage and from that regard it's like an upgraded Frostner that trades blunt for slash.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I am really really impressed with the modding community for valheim, not just in terms of quality but in terms of utility. There are big flashy all singing all dancing mods but some really nuanced mods that reach in a fix really specific things and they are updating to Hildirs quickly and smoothly. Last played this game before Hearth and Home and I'm right back in the deep of things.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Mistwalker doing frost damage is relevant both because of exploiting the wet status and because basically all the enemies in Mistlands resist physical damage types.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Sex Robot posted:

I am really really impressed with the modding community for valheim, not just in terms of quality but in terms of utility. There are big flashy all singing all dancing mods but some really nuanced mods that reach in a fix really specific things and they are updating to Hildirs quickly and smoothly. Last played this game before Hearth and Home and I'm right back in the deep of things.

What’s your mod list? What mods does everyone use?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Depends. All the bugs resist non-magical damage so it ends up being more effective in the Mist than the black metal sword. It also slows like Frostner.

The resistance is why I don't use the carapace spear despite it looking cool as gently caress and generally liking spears.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Saxophone posted:

I'm still experimenting and started small, but amongst other things I added working backpacks, new weapons. boats and armour.

A bunch of micromods that add extra levelable skills like farming and foraging. A mod that reworks the vanilla archery model.

My next thing is going to be looking more into building based mods and new assets for structures, VALKEA looks extremely promising.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I started my annual playthrough two days before the new content was released and have stubbornly stayed on the "old" beta channel. Can old worlds be converted to the current version? I imagine it'd only apply to undiscovered territory. Failing that, can I load up my character with the equipment and mats to speed run to where I am in my current progression? Both have been possible in the past, but I've also had even characters marked as incompatible.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Saxophone posted:

I generally just stick to these two essentials for vanilla+:

XPortal, links all portals together and lets you select a destination with a dropdown menu
FarmGrid, snap crops to a grid when planting

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Okay, so the game describes hard mode as being about damage and raid frequency, but I think it also spawns larger packs, more stars, and possibly also more trolls. It’s been fun! I had to clear out a nest that was near my new base, and at one point I think I was kiting three shamans, three brutes (including a star), and half a dozen normal dudes, just trying to get a few cleans swipes at the nest so they’d stop respawning. And raids are brutal, I really need to make some defenses.

I have also died a lot.

Anyway, moved my primary base up to a tower in the forest, built a bridge over the nearby gorge to get down to the river, and made a much more modest flat bridge over that so I’ll have good cart roads in all directions. The plan is to treat the tower as a keep and then build out my economy as a fortified town around it. Two out-buildings so far; next I need a more comfortable house.

Not sure what weapon I’m going to make after the axe.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

PittTheElder posted:

Frostner is actually pretty poo poo in that a lot of it's damage is in Spirit (which doesn't work against most enemies, and none of the enemies that are actually threatening to you at that point) and Frost, which while the slow is nice, I'd much rather just have the higher blunt damage of the Iron Mace. The high knockback of Frostner is also pretty counter effective against tar blobs too.

Atgeir spin to win plus mace against mobs resistance to pierce is really the way to go.

Fully upgraded it's 35/58/20 blunt/frost/spirit. Even level 1 it's 30/40/20. So the spirit damage is pretty minor. I like the extreme knockback. No way do I want a two star bug actually connecting with me. It's painful to use against loxen though. I tend to use a bow or spear for them.

Edit: this is also when I play solo, so it's just me versus a fuling village or overrun bug tower or whatever

My kids call it vattle-heim and the first boss is ethe-cure.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 5, 2023

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Molybdenum posted:

It's painful to use against loxen though. I tend to use a bow or spear for them.

The porcupine straight up murders loxen, in particular the secondary attack.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I was out of surtling cores, so I cleared out a burial cave, and now I have 22?!?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The main mod I always go for in craft from containers. Ever since I started using it it has increased my enjoyment of playing any game with crafting. Less fiddling, more doing what I enjoy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Craft from containers and eternal fuel are my two go-tos.

I also keep an eye out for new ship/boat options but haven't found any I like so far.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Craft from containers and eternal fuel are my two go-tos.

I also keep an eye out for new ship/boat options but haven't found any I like so far.

There was one that I unfortunately can't find anymore that let you change the values for your base speed with the sails in each configuration. I found it really helpful to be able to increase the speed at which you move with the sails fully retracted(?) because sailing against the wind for 30 minutes suuuuucks. Wish I could locate it again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BrianRx posted:

There was one that I unfortunately can't find anymore that let you change the values for your base speed with the sails in each configuration. I found it really helpful to be able to increase the speed at which you move with the sails fully retracted(?) because sailing against the wind for 30 minutes suuuuucks. Wish I could locate it again.
The sailing skill mod helps with this, I think.

I mostly mean boat models. I like making my docks have a varied look and since they are mostly for decoration it doesn't matter much if I need to uninstall the mod.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

The sailing skill mod helps with this, I think.

I mostly mean boat models. I like making my docks have a varied look and since they are mostly for decoration it doesn't matter much if I need to uninstall the mod.

There is/was a mod that allowed you to build on top of the basic raft that some people made some really cool stuff with. I found it to be wonky, though, and didn't care for the types of things I could build without installing additional building part mods.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Snappable crops should be in the base game.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Been expanding into mods that add content to the game as opposed to tweaking existing ones. I am super impressed with a lot of the bespoke art assets and thought has gone into their balance.
Been playing with a mod that adds a gacha style jewelcrafting/weapon socketing system with cool buffs and flourishes and the Therize trilogy of Armoury, Warfaire and Monstrum adds new mobs and minibosses to the biomes as well as a rainbow of new weapons including new weapon types and gives you more poo poo to do with chitin whereas Armoury lets you keep using earlier armour sets. Troll set becomes Iron Troll set then silver troll set etc etc along with neat set bonuses and some funky stylings.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I'm going to post this every hundred pages or so, but killing yourself by dropping a tree on your own head never gets less funny. Doesn't matter if it's Day One or Day One Hundred because you didn't bother to eat before going out chopping.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
It's practically a rite of passage.

Finally getting into the swamp with my group after getting savaged a few sessions ago.

Seems like the Hoe is the MVP. No need to wade past leeches if you can level or raise the land as you go to make a path.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I have a mental block about terraforming the swamp. I’ll do terrible things in every other biome, but the swamp I always want to leave pristine; I don’t even chop down trees for the most part. Can’t disrupt the beautiful leech / zombie ecosystem, I guess.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

rjmccall posted:

I have a mental block about terraforming the swamp. I’ll do terrible things in every other biome, but the swamp I always want to leave pristine; I don’t even chop down trees for the most part. Can’t disrupt the beautiful leech / zombie ecosystem, I guess.

It's been discussed in this thread, but I think the devs actually expect you to terraform the hell out of it. Dragging a cart between trees, over hills, and through shallow water in what is, in my opinion, the most tiresome biome would be awful.

That's just my opinion, though, and one of the great things about this game is that nothing is correct or wrong. 75% of my playtime has been spent building massive, ugly stone structures out the 2x1 and 1x1 blocks and I love it.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Hmm, yes and no re terraforming swamp. When we had a swamp spawn a ton of crypts it would have been worth it but now not do much. Generally, swamp has significantly less rocks and obstructions. You can still pull a cart through the water with relative ease.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

BrianRx posted:

It's been discussed in this thread, but I think the devs actually expect you to terraform the hell out of it. Dragging a cart between trees, over hills, and through shallow water in what is, in my opinion, the most tiresome biome would be awful.

I can see that. I guess I just take it as discouraging cart use — the biome is rough for carts anyway because you blow through pickaxes pretty quickly in crypts (so you’re going back to town anyway) and find yourself suddenly fighting a lot (and really need freedom of movement when you do). I probably just don’t use the cart as much as I should, though — I end up spending a lot longer making nice cart paths than I’m ever going to save actually using them.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

A handful of vikings trying to be good at building.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What mod did you use for the vegetation? It looks good

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I really like your green corridor

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

What mod did you use for the vegetation? It looks good

Plant Everything will handle all of the stuff I can see.

I think they're running a texture mod on top of that as well, there are some non-vanilla stones and banners.

Green corridor does look pretty good.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Vegetation is Plant Everything

Custom assets come from VALKEA (Valheim Ikea) and OdinsBanners

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rjmccall posted:

I can see that. I guess I just take it as discouraging cart use — the biome is rough for carts anyway because you blow through pickaxes pretty quickly in crypts (so you’re going back to town anyway) and find yourself suddenly fighting a lot (and really need freedom of movement when you do). I probably just don’t use the cart as much as I should, though — I end up spending a lot longer making nice cart paths than I’m ever going to save actually using them.

As someone who typically plays 3-4 player, the intuitive way to tackle swamp for us was always one person on cart, one person hoe-ing a path, one person keeping an eye out and defending.

You blow through 6-8 crypts in no time like that.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I can totally see how the trade-offs are different in multiplayer.

Does the game adjust enemies for multiplayer in any way? Like more HP or more spawns or something?

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

rjmccall posted:

I can totally see how the trade-offs are different in multiplayer.

Does the game adjust enemies for multiplayer in any way? Like more HP or more spawns or something?

HP scaling when other players are nearby. If you run off on your own it will be like single player. I'm not sure of the range.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

rjmccall posted:

I probably just don’t use the cart as much as I should, though — I end up spending a lot longer making nice cart paths than I’m ever going to save actually using them.

I do very much the same everywhere except for the mountain biome. There is a mod that gives you bonuses to movement speed based on what you are moving over so I usually end up sprinting back and forth to my base delivering 15 ore at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Anyone have a good mod req to make sailing, ya know, not miserable?