Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

panko posted:

the still life of the konbini drinks + mini gundams warms my heart

Well, Gundam-ish.

The fun thing is that it's riffing on a very specific Gundam toyline, Gundam Converge. (There's also Kamen Rider and DBZ versions, but they're less long running.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
"Looks just like a piece of Nori..."

*sticks it on forehead*

Never has a character in fiction been so real.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Popo posted:

"Looks just like a piece of Nori..."

*sticks it on forehead*

Never has a character in fiction been so real.

lol

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
To this day, I am surprised by how many times the Count has showed up in fiction, though given the premise of Dandadan, I guess it should be a given that he would show up eventually.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Flair posted:

To this day, I am surprised by how many times the Count has showed up in fiction, though given the premise of Dandadan, I guess it should be a given that he would show up eventually.

What other series has this Count showed up in?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

almost too many to count.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
I can think of Chevalier d'Eon off the top of my head, but, yeah, dude's a recurring fixture in urban fantasy works.

Post Script: Also Baccano, natch.

I like that Turbo Granny got so mad about him that one of her eyes turned back into monster form. Bad blood?

Lock Knight fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 8, 2023

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mraagvpeine posted:

What other series has this Count showed up in?

He was a major character in the Netflix Castlevania series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whenever you want a mysterious gothic rear end in a top hat, bring in saint germain.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Hell, Saint Germain and some other illuminati names were in Symphogear as power armor magical girls. It just works

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/TatuYukinobu/status/1701250802537709873

"Dan Da Dan is currently being serialized on Jump Plus, but I have caught a cold so I will be taking a break this week. Dear readers, please take care of yourself."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
How about we take care of him instead? :ohdear:

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018659

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Dandadan: Ball is life

Is the vamola calling herself a fellow supposed to be a formal/polite thing or using masculine pronouns thing

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love this group of weirdos

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is the vamola calling herself a fellow supposed to be a formal/polite thing or using masculine pronouns thing

Probably the difference between ore, boku, and watashi for saying the masculine "I". Someone with the raws could probably translate which one exactly Okarun is using and passed onto Vamola.

E: probably watashi?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well St. Germaine didn't waste any time in showing up.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
That's Sakamoto from "Haven't you heard? I'm Sakamoto" in a wig

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

stepping out of rodin’s gates of hell in ueno park is an extremely stylish and badass way to arrive

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Dandadan: Ball is life

It's intended as a callback to the line attributed to the actor Ken Takakura, "I am an awkward fellow, after all", which was mentioned in the early chapters, and I guess this is a consequence of Okarun/Ken teaching Vamola some more Japanese. But now I'm really interested in what exactly is getting translated into "fellow". It's obviously idiosyncratic enough to be associated with that particular line from that particular actor, but a quick Google search hasn't revealed yet if anyone's dissected the translation. Hell, it would be nice to just know which movie it came from.

edit: \/\/\/ Thank you!

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 18, 2023

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

you must give up playing this hole

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It's intended as a callback to the line attributed to the actor Ken Takakura, "I am an awkward fellow, after all", which was mentioned in the early chapters, but now I'm really interested in what exactly is getting translated into "fellow". It's obviously idiosyncratic enough to be associated with that particular line from that particular actor, but a quick Google search hasn't revealed yet if anyone's dissected the translation.

Specifically it's that Okarun habitually uses the pronoun ジブン (自分, 'jibun') which is a reflexive pronoun (like English himself/herself/themself/etc.) but can also be used as a personal pronoun. It's the same pronoun Takakura Ken used in that famous line. In the original Japanese dialogue, Vamola calls herself ジブン as well, which is what Ayase is calling out.

More on jibun: https://www.tofugu.com/japanese-grammar/jibun/#as-a-personal-pronoun

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

dprk -i juche.deb posted:

Specifically it's that Okarun habitually uses the pronoun ジブン (自分, 'jibun') which is a reflexive pronoun (like English himself/herself/themself/etc.) but can also be used as a personal pronoun. It's the same pronoun Takakura Ken used in that famous line. In the original Japanese dialogue, Vamola calls herself ジブン as well, which is what Ayase is calling out.

More on jibun: https://www.tofugu.com/japanese-grammar/jibun/#as-a-personal-pronoun

Jibun woooooo

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I still have no idea who this Germaine guy is in a pop culture sense.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Just from how I've seen of his fictional depictions. He's in a similar camp as Alistair Crowley and Rasputin as he's got ties to the occult and is usually depicted as a great scholar with lots of mystic and arcane knowledge. He might be a villain 50% of the time but he's usually seeking new and greater heights and wisdom.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

panko posted:

stepping out of rodin’s gates of hell in ueno park is an extremely stylish and badass way to arrive

Yeah gonna say, that was 10/10 entrance. Bonus points for going from "arrived in the human world" to "successfully infiltrated the hero's group" in span of a single chapter.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

given the chance, all shonen series with high schoolers dealing with the occult try to reform the SOS brigade, and I'm proud of tatsu for holding out for over 120 chapters

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

Mraagvpeine posted:

Think Doc Savage meets Sir Francis Bacon but he wished for immortality on the dragonballs.

A Bruce Lee muscle-fop who knows magic.

He was a real dude aside from the obviously fictional stuff.

Was pretty okay in the Netflix Castlevania.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

given the chance, all shonen series with high schoolers dealing with the occult try to reform the SOS brigade, and I'm proud of tatsu for holding out for over 120 chapters

I did appreciate the "oh, do we have to?" tone about it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
So far no one's commented on Vamola T-posing for dominance.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1018708

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
...so we are getting a vampire, huh? :v:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I was wondering if we'd ever see that buttinsky class rep again. And everyone's being weirdly open now with their powers. Maybe part of St. Germain's influence? I do like how his dialogue has some sort of disorienting, temporally-disjointed quality to it, definitely affecting minds and also maybe affecting narrative a bit.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Also: announcement likely on 12/16

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lt. Lizard posted:

The comedic timing on that line was impeccable

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Niiice...

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
How did I JUST figure out that Sanjome is just Japanese phonetic Saint Germaine?

Also I'm reading his dialogue in a weird, rushed Tim Curry voice. It's great. Niiice, even.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Also: announcement likely on 12/16

Anime??

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

By the end of this hopeful vampire mini-arc. Saint Germaine is going to have a one-to-one with said vampire and deride them for having a flawed form of immortality from his perspective. Mark my words