Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If she wants a Miata, a CR-Z is not gonna scratch that itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Any tips on buying a car that the seller owes money on (lender has title)? Guy seems genuine and this particular Prius already has almost everything I was planning to buy afterwards (extra set of wheels with snow tyres, catalytic converter shield, tow bar, even the aftermarket floor mats) and at a pretty reasonable asking price.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My girlfriend is looking to buy her first car and this has caught her eye: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/661e1dcd-3864-4652-af0b-cf3f7c5615f9/?aff=share_text

It’s a nice combination of sporty & practical. She’s fine with it being a manual. I’m mostly wondering if there are any big known issues for this model that we should be aware of

With an older hybrid like that there’s always the possibility of the hybrid battery needing to be replaced; I am getting ready to Buy The Prius and that’s the biggest concern. (It doesn’t really matter that the miles are low, sitting around is actually worse for it, so you can use that as a negotiating point with the seller).

If it’s like the Prius you can get a rough idea of its health in the moment, but can’t really make predictions. Definitely at least figure out what a replacement would run you and if you can afford it.

I really like the look of the CRZ (and the CRX that it hearkens back to), I’d be looking at them myself if I didn’t need more boot space for gear. If she wants something a bit sportier and with a backseat there’s also the Hyundai Velostar.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Any tips on buying a car that the seller owes money on (lender has title)?

The seller needs to talk to whoever they financed with an figure this out. Do not accept the vehicle or give money to anyone other than the bank who holds the note unless they tell you otherwise.

Any more specific advice is 100% dependent on what bank totes his note. For example, if it's one that has retail branches the transaction should be pre-arranged through a branch so that you are paying the bank for the car. They will cut a check for overage to the "owner", or perhaps you will only pay the bank the amount of the outstanding note and the owner the rest. Since they hold the title they should be able to kick off the state specific process for getting the lien off of the title and into your name.

In general, this simply isn't worth the trouble or risk for a buyer unless it's coming at a significant discount and is a difficult to find vehicle. You're talking about a Prius so it's not the latter. How about the former?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If she wants a Miata, a CR-Z is not gonna scratch that itch.

Completely agreed - not going to be even close in terms of how it drives.

If she wants a Miata, have cash ready to go and just keep checking the listings and be ready to move when one comes up at the right year/price/whatever it is you are looking for. They've built a shitload of them over the years so they aren't impossible to get, but good examples of early cars are rare and in-demand.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

The seller needs to talk to whoever they financed with an figure this out. Do not accept the vehicle or give money to anyone other than the bank who holds the note unless they tell you otherwise.

Any more specific advice is 100% dependent on what bank totes his note. For example, if it's one that has retail branches the transaction should be pre-arranged through a branch so that you are paying the bank for the car. They will cut a check for overage to the "owner", or perhaps you will only pay the bank the amount of the outstanding note and the owner the rest. Since they hold the title they should be able to kick off the state specific process for getting the lien off of the title and into your name.

In general, this simply isn't worth the trouble or risk for a buyer unless it's coming at a significant discount and is a difficult to find vehicle. You're talking about a Prius so it's not the latter. How about the former?

Yeah, there's definite risks involved. I bought my 330i private party and it had a loan out on it. Went to the guys bank and paid off the loan and they put the remainder in his account. Never give the person the money directly. They had the title on hand but wouldn't release day of because I paid with a cashiers check. So I had to rely on the person to go back to the bank once they released it, sign it, and then mail it to me. That's probably the riskiest part but with a bill of sale and all that I wasn't super concerned. I would have obviously preferred to leave with the title that day but it just doesn't always work like that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Where local laws or bank processes delay the release of the title beyond the moment all the pieces of meat are in the same place, you should be using escrow services but also good luck getting people to agree to that and then pay for it.

Even when it's as clean as I have all these sales documents you are moments away from very unfortunate visits to civil court to actually get your car or if you try to insure and drive it in the mean time (or even just park it at your property), adding some criminal court visits in the mix too.

Lots of cars get traded on far more rinky dink title transfers without problem but when you do have a problem it's a big capital asset problem.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

For full disclosure her heart is set on a Miata but those are more fleeting on the market so the CRZ will be the car she settles for if she can't find one

Have you considered the Fiat 124, aka the Fiata

Nobody seems to have heard of them, it's the Miata platform(ish) and slightly more unique (arguably better than the NB/C/D) styling. You should could put a "Honda S1800" badge on the back and people would probably believe you

https://www.carmax.com/car/24460222

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 6, 2023

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

as much as i’m sure she’d love that car that’s pretty far outside of her price range

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh apologies I missed the budget target

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Shouldn't you be able to get at least an earlier NC for that amount?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The Fiat version of a Miata, while looking better in my opinion, has a ticking time bomb under the hood.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nitrox posted:

The Fiat version of a Miata, while looking better in my opinion, has a ticking time bomb under the hood.

What makes you say that? The Multiair engine has been extremely reliable.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

What makes you say that? The Multiair engine has been extremely reliable.
All I know is that in other FSA cars, the multiair has a higher failure rate than naturally aspirated powerplants. Something about higher maintenance and more warranty claims overall. That's according to dealership techs, but I can try to find some actual data

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Done. Picked her up today.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Where's the burnout footage!?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

davecrazy posted:

How did you get home?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

How did you get home?

After the fuel pump went, flatbed tow truck.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

davecrazy posted:

And you haven’t yet created an AI project thread, why?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

And you haven’t yet created an AI project thread, why?

funneling money to your local Stellantis joint doesn't count as a project

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nitrox posted:

All I know is that in other FSA cars, the multiair has a higher failure rate than naturally aspirated powerplants. Something about higher maintenance and more warranty claims overall. That's according to dealership techs, but I can try to find some actual data

I love the look of the 124 but hate that it started down on power and ended realllyyy down on power after they bumped the ND's hp up after a few years.

I'd love an Abarth if they weren't still carrying a ridiculous S2000-like premium

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It’s a quick and cheap tune away from being quite fast.

Plus, the 124 had more power than the ND1 so not sure what you are talking about exactly.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s a quick and cheap tune away from being quite fast.

Plus, the 124 had more power than the ND1 so not sure what you are talking about exactly.

https://www.124spider.org/threads/fiats-1-4t-vs-miata-nds-2-0-power-comparison.2090/

Interesting discussion on this very subject

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good link. I seem to recall as well that while the ND2 has some improvements, they're mainly in the top end and on paper.

https://www.facebook.com/flyinmiata...55439628156631/

Here's a FM dyno test. The ND2 mostly revs higher, which is obviously more fun and gives you some more runway for your shift points. But it's not quite the bump in performance that 26 hp would suggest.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Good link. I seem to recall as well that while the ND2 has some improvements, they're mainly in the top end and on paper.

https://www.facebook.com/flyinmiata...55439628156631/

Here's a FM dyno test. The ND2 mostly revs higher, which is obviously more fun and gives you some more runway for your shift points. But it's not quite the bump in performance that 26 hp would suggest.

Revving it out past 7k kicks rear end, next you're going to argue that the AP2 S2000 engine was better because it did things like "make torque" and you weren't required to rev it to the moon.

Jokes aside, I think that the power delivery of an N/A engine is more what the platonic ideal of a roadster would be, even though historically the BP Miatas were not that high revving and relatively torquey in the midrange, that's still nothing like the power delivery of modern DI turbo engines that run out of steam at 5k after pulling hard.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Is that Greg from Greg's Airplanes and Automobiles on YouTube?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I rented a Euro spec 124 for a couple of weeks road trippin around southern Italy. While u wasn't ever driving hard, I don't remember feeling it was slow or needed a load more power. I'd happily have one for doing that kind of trip again.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

KillHour posted:

Where's the burnout footage!?

The break by wire system kills throttle when you apply the break so it’s apparently not easy to do without aftermarket gizmos hooked up to the OBD port.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Ford inventory search sucks so much, I just need to complain.

No way to filter based on add-ons like sunroof or tow package.

Cannot open a result in a new tab to look at the window sticker. Just need to click in and back.

If you do that more than three times, it breaks and resets your search.

I assume the dealerships can do a better search but I also assume they have no interest in selling us a car that some other dealer owns so may not be very useful?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

smackfu posted:

The Ford inventory search sucks so much, I just need to complain.

No way to filter based on add-ons like sunroof or tow package.

Cannot open a result in a new tab to look at the window sticker. Just need to click in and back.

If you do that more than three times, it breaks and resets your search.

I assume the dealerships can do a better search but I also assume they have no interest in selling us a car that some other dealer owns so may not be very useful?

To my knowledge, they cooperate pretty well on inventory transfers, at least on the new stuff. My only direct insight is a Chrysler dealership, so the Ford experience may vary. When we bought our Pacifica back in the day, my brother-in-law was able to get what we wanted from another dealership about 2 hours away.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Dealer trading is a thing at GM too. Or was 20 ish years ago at the dealer I worked at.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dealer trades are definitely a thing but dealers may or may not be willing to execute trades on specific vehicles.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
So I've seen Maserati's on FB that are 6-8 years old going for less than $20k. Is that a scam, or does the value drop that much that quickly? I mean, I would not mind getting a 6 figure car for low 5 figures, would I just be flushing that money down the toilet?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lucid Nonsense posted:

So I've seen Maserati's on FB that are 6-8 years old going for less than $20k. Is that a scam, or does the value drop that much that quickly? I mean, I would not mind getting a 6 figure car for low 5 figures, would I just be flushing that money down the toilet?

You can find plenty of 6-figure when new cars for $20k or less when they are that old. It's because they are typically known maintenance pigs, full of fiddly courtesy features that break and/or fatal mechanical issues that all require parts. Parts that reflect the fact that they are $100k+ cars when new.

This is the classic used BMW 7 series thing. Or "the most expensive porsche is the cheapest used one".

Can they be good deals? Yes, if you do you own work, know what you're looking at so you can properly evaluate it, and know where to get parts for a good price (i.e. know people/the community with parts cars). I've been driving old porsches for most of my life.

This is not a daily driver and/or only car thing. You need to have a backup plan.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lucid Nonsense posted:

The purchase price is (almost) irrelevant. The maintenance costs will eat you up.

Multiply all ordinary maintenance and repair costs by 4.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You would be better off, and have a more enjoyable time literally lighting 20,000 dollars on fire than buying a used Maserati.

On the scale of luxury cars you don't want to own out of warranty, I'm pretty sure Maserati is number 1.

I wouldn't even recommend it if you were a weekend mechanic with a lift, a full set of tools, and intimate knowledge on how to fix vehicles.

There's a reason they've depreciated like that. If you're looking for a used luxury car almost any option is better than a used Maserati. I wouldn't take one for free from someone.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Lucid Nonsense posted:

It's not the purchase price, it's the maintenance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Were they even 6 figure cars in the first place? I know that they were all optioned up to gently caress so ostensibly sticker price may have been high, but they also were deeply discounted new. If you're talking about a Ghibli or something I'd be surprised if the original buyer / lessee had paid >$100k.

I guess that 6 figure line matters a lot less than it used to, do people look at used Tesla Model Ses as 6 figure cars? I've seen too many lunatics posting about how the Model S is a supercar that deserves to be compared to Mercedes-Maybach and Ferraris and stuff.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

I was looking at Quattroportes from around 2016. I only drive about 3-4k miles per year if that makes a difference. Would it actually be something that would break down on the side of the road?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Would it actually be something that would break down on the side of the road?

100% without a doubt on a regular basis.

They are junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

100% without a doubt on a regular basis.

They are junk.

Lol. Thanks to the thread for talking me out of this. My '98 4Runner is still solid and sexy enough for me.