Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Pants Donkey posted:

I hate to say it, but you could replace 90% of the political cartoonists with AI and nobody would notice.

How would we tell? Extra fingers? People look like uncanny valley rejects? The humor is stilted and makes no sense? poo poo, a large enough number of cartoonists already steal art for their cartoons.

I don't remember his name, but there was that one cartoonist who kept working for a couple years after developing dementia. His art deteriorated, the comics themselves stopped making sense, but whoever his publisher was just kept running them. Political cartoons are a micro industry driven entirely by inertia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

See, you can draw Zelenskiyy without being antisemitic.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I dont know posted:

I don't remember his name, but there was that one cartoonist who kept working for a couple years after developing dementia. His art deteriorated, the comics themselves stopped making sense, but whoever his publisher was just kept running them. Political cartoons are a micro industry driven entirely by inertia.

Jerry Holbert. I'm not sure his comics ever went completely nonsensical (and he was never someone who used very nuanced or detailed jokes beyond a pun or "thing bad"), but retrospectively, the decline is clear.

Comic from 1997:

Comic from 2011:

Comic from 2018:

For reference, he was diagnosed in 2019 and died in 2022. The illness, frontotemporal dementia, is apparently rare and especially devastating.

He was also the cartoonist who brought us the skull donkey.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 8, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pants Donkey posted:

I hate to say it, but you could replace 90% of the political cartoonists with AI and nobody would notice.

Why would you hate to say this?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

See, you can draw Zelenskiyy without being antisemitic.

That's Lowtax fighting Uwe Boll

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Trazz posted:

I wonder which (mainstream) cartoonist will finally give up the game and just make a cartoon that's got a bunch of slurs
It'd be really funny if it was Tinsley and it's exactly 2 weeks after Trump goes to jail

I almost passed over the (mainstream) part, or I'd have said Ishida.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why would you hate to say this?
Because now not even death will free us

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lester and Glenn McCoy (until he retired from political cartoons) are also big dips in quality, although that’s not dementia so much as phoning in their cartoons to focus on movies or comic strips

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Lester and Glenn McCoy (until he retired from political cartoons) are also big dips

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yes? Are you a loving idiot?

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Stantis's editor tackling him as he tries to send out a cartoon listing every slur he knows

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

...what?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Street sexual harassment is fine if you're in uniform and it makes a popular photo" is what I got from it.

Which would be a Kellies Nomination for least concealed sexism if so.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bok is a well-known idiot.

China Daily

Shifting the blame by Luo Jie

Ignoring reality by Song Chen

I can't speak for how good China is on this matter, can't feel that they aren't, but having visited Connecticut this summer, this rings very true. The EU isn't much better in doing anything but at least the issue is acknowledged.

Freedom of speech in the US by Luo Jie

Le Monde is back and I've missed a whole week of updates. With this back I'll probably try to update a bit more regularly. Because now the back log is quite huge. They're in chronological order from the beginning of the week till today.

I'll try posting Fabrice Erre's stuff a bit. It's very focused on French education (and I'm a teacher over here) so it's rather niche and a bit bland but the art's nice.

Transmutation by Fabrice Erre

A member of the teaching corp of the National Ministry of Education

Préoccupations de rentrée/Back-to-School Worries by Fabrice Erre

People shouting:Authority! Uniforms! Shortages! Laicity!
Thought bubble:I wonder if my projector is working.

by Urbs from France
The Baccalaureat will now take place in June
"And the teachers?"

For some reason, the final exam of French education took place in March last year, which resulted in kids understandably giving up the ghost soon after despite having class until June. I'm not quite sure what the punchline is here. Probably something about teachers not working.

by Chappatte from Switzerland
"Imperial France in Africa". We've heard that song."
"Is it Wagner's?"

Syrie : des manifestations mettent le pays sous pression/Syria: Protests put the country under pressure by Emad Hajjaj from Jordan

by Kichka from Israel
"I thought I killed all my opponents!"
Signs read: Inflation! Cost of living too high! Get out Assad! Sick of unemployment!

by Paresh from India

L’Afrique veut se mettre au vert, mais pas toute seule/Africa wants to go green but not on its own by Wimar from Cuba

Charlie Hebdo

On China in space

Intellectual menace
"It's making girls want to go to school!"
The abaya was banned in French schools tied to the Ministry of Education.

School bullying: Working better with the victims
"It's normal if it's a bit tight."

This is just an ad for their podcast but I liked the drawing.

Stop burning the Koran...
"Read it! I've never laughed so hard!"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Discendo Vox posted:

but retrospectively, the decline is clear.
I can show you the same "decline" for most long-running cartoonists in this thread. Compare Payne pre and post 2008.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Et Tu, Coup?

Ted Rall posted:

The military coup in Gabon prompted Western news outlets to bemoan the threat to democratic institutions and instability in Africa. It’s amusing that they ignored analogous issues in the United States and Europe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Africa? But how can I make that about things that I, Tod Roll, care about, like myself and terribly drawn sandwiches.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Ah yes, that major international power that recently suffered an attempted military coup, with armoured columns marching on the capital: America.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

America, what a mess! Wages no-one can live on! Far-right nationalism, right out in the open! There's, uh, a fire outside! And some filling is falling out of a sandwich! Recycling! Coffee! A bulletin board! Ridiculous!!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Et Tu, Coup?

Kellies nomination: Worst sandwich

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
Ted Rall's Non-Euclidean Sandwich

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

I... really don't get this one. Branco would be doing cartwheels over a city no longer being declared a sanctuary city. But apparently he's really reached the point where anything done anyone with a (D) after their name on the ballot is automatically wrong.

Also, Kellies Nomination: Worst Caricature.

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Gary Markstein

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Kelley

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Craig K posted:

Ted Rall's Non-Euclidean Sandwich
Also looks more like a Memphis Style pattern on that skirt than it does sandwich toppings.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

I... really don't get this one. Branco would be doing cartwheels over a city no longer being declared a sanctuary city. But apparently he's really reached the point where anything done anyone with a (D) after their name on the ballot is automatically wrong.
It proves that Dems are hypocrites and the real racists, at least according to people who think that xenophobia is a word made up by liberal arts social gender studies people with woke hair right up until they get to use it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

"See, even the ffffffffffffffucking democrats understand what a bad idea it is not to immediately throw all asylum seekers into the sea. And I bet the left is going to call this attitude xenophobic - even though a NIG black guy is saying it!"

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Kelly

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Pull up.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think it's just Bok whining that people have actually looked into the backstory of that image instead of just smiling and continuing to mindlessly accept it for the "America, gently caress yeah!" picture it spent decades being.

Basically the same vein of thought that goes into "Well 20 years ago, we were allowed to say X about Y, but now that's considered hate speech."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

the_steve posted:

I think it's just Bok whining that people have actually looked into the backstory of that image instead of just smiling and continuing to mindlessly accept it for the "America, gently caress yeah!" picture it spent decades being.

Basically the same vein of thought that goes into "Well 20 years ago, we were allowed to say X about Y, but now that's considered hate speech."
Also relevant to the recent Luis Rubiales thing.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

Ah yes, that major international power that recently suffered an attempted military coup, with armoured columns marching on the capital: America.

Trump was technically the head of the military on January 6th.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

He's missing the next panel where the teacher gives the kid an F for blatant wrong information (and probably not citing their sources)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on the UK’s crumbling political landscape – Rishi Sunak faces multiple crises including the dangerous state of school buildings, a failing asylum system and major sewage spills by water companies"

Telegraph:

"The era of the tank is far from over"

Matt:

Terror suspect escapes Wandsworth prison

Times:

Horizon: relief for science as UK rejoins £81bn EU programme

Evening Standard:

Rugby World Cup 2023: Fixture list, full schedule, results, kick-off times, venues and odds

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

I'm just taking that as further proof that conservatives are utterly clueless. That's not how that works, even metaphorically, and what the gently caress are you trying to even say, Telegraph.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also the offshore wind auction was a complete mess.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

I'm just taking that as further proof that conservatives are utterly clueless. That's not how that works, even metaphorically, and what the gently caress are you trying to even say, Telegraph.

It's also not even a tank!

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

There was a poster in the Libertarian thread recently unironically saying exactly this and being called a shithead for it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Fister Roboto posted:

It's also not even a tank!

I don't think the editorial cartoon is a comment on the linked article but rather on the Ukrainian progress against Russian minefields. Still, "mine resistant" just means that there is a high likelihood of the crew surviving hitting mines due to shape of the hull's bottom, not that the vehicle can just choo choo through mines like a train, like Antigravitas alludes.

As for execution there's a recognisable trope there, but might have gone all the way to Wile. E. Coyote reference.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Thought this seemed familiar, its a klassic from 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nenonen posted:

"mine resistant" just means that there is a high likelihood of the crew surviving hitting mines due to shape of the hull's bottom, not that the vehicle can just choo choo through mines like a train.

I can only imagine such a vehicle.

"The vehicle made it! Detonated thirty mines! What a piece of engineering!"
"Wow, and the crew all survived?"
"Oh! No. No. It'll be a mess in there. But still, wow!"