Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Games that come to mind for feel good gunshootins' are FEAR, Destiny, Darktide (rip the rest of it though), and older Battlefields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I've got two Audible credits that apparently disappear if I cancel my sub. Any sci fi recommendations? I've barely read any contemporary sci fi, so not even Iain Banks' stuff. Children of Time sounds cool.

Locked Tomb series or Broken Earth series!!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you probably shouldn't spend an audible credit on it, but definitely go and read a canticle for leibowitz because it's ftw

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

:sickos:

hope you haven't been relying on moves that only work on humans

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arzaac posted:

:sickos:

hope you haven't been relying on moves that only work on humans

what do you mean by this

what do you mean by this

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mr Hootington posted:

You need to try Tarkov

I have, and it's not my jam. I'm not a fan of hyperrealism in general, and while it certainly gets the adrenaline pumping there's also a bunch of dead time or just suddenly getting shot out of nowhere. Not to mention it's a lot less fun when you need to go into a session potentially losing stuff you've worked toward. And that's setting aside the hackers, which may or may not have been dealt with, but was rampant last time I checked. If it had any kind of singleplayer with competent NPC AI and pathing I'd probably have been hooked, but when all the difficulty is other human players? Nah, not my thing.

If you wanted to play a good FPS similar to Tarkov just play STALKER, an actually good game series where I don't have to deal with humans being assholes and the AI you have to shoot at isn't totally braindead.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

RBA Starblade posted:

Games that come to mind for feel good gunshootins' are FEAR, Destiny, Darktide (rip the rest of it though), and older Battlefields

there's nothing to RIP about Darktide anymore, especially when Oct 4 rolls around and the major revamp of the skill trees happen, including adding additional sub class paths.

The crafting is complete and solid now, the levels are good, they just added a second mission board specifically for high difficulty missions so you have more variety in end game, and special Maelstorm missions with unique modifiers for even more fun. Weapon balance and variety is great (aside from Ogryn ranged weapons). Unironic recommend of a game now.

Agreed on the rest aside from Destiny, which I haven't tried. I also think the Sniper Elite series and the accompany Zombie Army stuff by Rebellion are all great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Evil Kit posted:

there's nothing to RIP about Darktide anymore, especially when Oct 4 rolls around and the major revamp of the skill trees happen, including adding additional sub class paths.

The crafting is complete and solid now, the levels are good, they just added a second mission board specifically for high difficulty missions so you have more variety in end game, and special Maelstorm missions with unique modifiers for even more fun. Weapon balance and variety is great (aside from Ogryn ranged weapons). Unironic recommend of a game now.

Oh cool, I thought it was still pretty much dead in the water. I'll have to jump back in!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

what do you mean by this

what do you mean by this

that's what you meant

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh cool, I thought it was still pretty much dead in the water. I'll have to jump back in!

Did I mention that crafting mats and melk bucks are now account wide rather than character specific? Also full crossplay with PC Gamepass and eventually Xbox when that launchs on Oct 4 as well?

Darktide is a steal at 40 bucks imo if you enjoy Horde co-op shooters at all, and you can just play it on gamepass too so it can be even cheaper.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 8, 2023

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Echoing the positivity for Darktide. It's in an excellent spot right now for new players. All the folks with 150+ hours are the ones waiting for the Oct 4 content to drop - myself included.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Choosy moms choose gib

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

that's what you meant

R u fighting the Roomba?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was fighting the tiger

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

haveblue posted:

Also do read Iain M. Banks' stuff (he used the M for sci-fi and leaves it out for general fiction)

Starting with The Wasp Factory?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Add this to the list of games to never play in VR lest you have an actual heart attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVcy4pUXOZU

"How realistic should we make our liminal space horror game?"
"Yes"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Add this to the list of games to never play in VR lest you have an actual heart attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVcy4pUXOZU

"How realistic should we make our liminal space horror game?"
"Yes"

the shaders are genuinely great but that monster peeking around the corner looks like a first year computer animation project

i think the backrooms are at their most interesting when they're emphasizing the psychological horror of abject loneliness and physically impossible dreamlike landscapes moreso than when they're going with stock standard "what if a screaming big man was coming at ya" stuff, especially if your lack of animation budget has the potential to spoil the mood when a player is getting chased by an N64-rear end model

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the environments are loving breathtaking but I can't help but roll my eyes at both the stupid-looking monster and the corny analog horror bit in the beginning

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MyHouse.wad proved pretty decisively that you don't need jumpscares in 2023 to be loving terrifying. just give me a gameplay version of this poo poo and i'll gladly pay the halloween eve tithe to play it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

the shaders are genuinely great but that monster peeking around the corner looks like a first year computer animation project

Yup.

If they can raise the tension in other ways it will be literal stress inducing gameplay.

A monster breathing down your neck that is never shown

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the niche horror project i want made more than anything is a playable version of the SCP where people get trapped in this infinite ikea facsimile and have to emerge during the "day" from fortified compounds made out of furniture and shelving units to forage for supplies so they can survive the nightly attacks by the faceless, monstrous "staff" that are the only other living things there

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

Mm, no, not quite. Borderlands in general is not really a good example of an FPS that feels satisfying to play, partly due to the nature of it being meshed so heavily with RPG conceits. It's still fun mind you, but it's fun for how ridiculous it is rather than feeling satisfying imo (I have played all four for reference)

the joke is that i didn't like shooting in BL2 either, and quit playing it until Krieg came out, and then my primary way of killing people was hitting them with an axe, which is extremely satisfying

i have played Destiny 2 quite a bit, and thats probably the most shooting ive done in any game. i don't have enough points of reference to say whether it's good or not, and i quit playing when they decided to take away my favorite guns to force me to grind new ones.

i have also played Darktide but only as Ogryn so i don't know if that really counts

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i didn't even know there was a gargoyles game!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYUJXoWh1yg

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Vermain posted:

the niche horror project i want made more than anything is a playable version of the SCP where people get trapped in this infinite ikea facsimile and have to emerge during the "day" from fortified compounds made out of furniture and shelving units to forage for supplies so they can survive the nightly attacks by the faceless, monstrous "staff" that are the only other living things there

i think there are like 15 different versions of this already

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

RBA Starblade posted:

The best fps shooting is still found in Soldier of Fortune from the year 2000.

The sound and hit reaction from that magnum is still unmatched to this day.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

no man's sky is a very comfy game, for me

i like that i can repurchase the rainbow jetpack trail that i had bought in my other save for free. that's nice

i think my favorite thing is when you're hanging out in the hub and people just give you random items for free. like stuff worth hundreds of millions, or some weed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rinkles posted:

Starting with The Wasp Factory?

I did not like that book very much

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Last time I tried nms the game kept offering me free giant freight starships for some reason, no matter what solar system I escaped to

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

yeah thats how you get your first freighter lol

freighters are great it's a home base you can drag along with you throughout the universe

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I already had a home base accessible from any and every spaceport in the galaxy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

i didn't even know there was a gargoyles game!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYUJXoWh1yg

Yep, MD release. Really nice animation, kinda mediocre game is what I heard. Harder than it had to be.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

NMS is one of those games were if you stop playing it for like a month, you have no idea what you were doing and it seems too much effort to start from scratch.

At least, that was my experience with game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Reckon NMS should have a 50%+ flash sale and just rake in that Starfield rebound money

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It normally is at 50% off in my experience.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kerrzhe posted:

the joke is that i didn't like shooting in BL2 either, and quit playing it until Krieg came out, and then my primary way of killing people was hitting them with an axe, which is extremely satisfying

i have played Destiny 2 quite a bit, and thats probably the most shooting ive done in any game. i don't have enough points of reference to say whether it's good or not, and i quit playing when they decided to take away my favorite guns to force me to grind new ones.

i have also played Darktide but only as Ogryn so i don't know if that really counts

While I semi-meme about Ogryn have poo poo variety for ranged options, all the big boi's guns are pretty funny to see enemies get hit by. The Gorgonum Heavy Stubber though is by far the most satisfying gun in the game to fire. Hold down the trigger and watch as hordes and shooters get split on half or turned into maggoty clouds of gibs. Super satisfying.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bone emulator posted:

NMS is one of those games were if you stop playing it for like a month, you have no idea what you were doing and it seems too much effort to start from scratch.

At least, that was my experience with game.

Naw, you skip a few patches and jump back in, forget what you were doing before, and just immediately start pursuing some new things or wild hare. No reason to ever start over unless doing an expedition which requires it.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1699731201945448918

Finally, justice for youtube crimes....

EDIT: actual article link: https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/7/23863271/japanese-youtuber-lets-play-copyright-infringement-steins-gate

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 8, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Video Crimes.