Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I feel like bubb rubb would be driving an Altima these days.

Not a chance. It’s a V6 Dodge Charger that was a previous rental car. It’s now mismatched panels and has an ill fitting spoiler. It has no less than 43 whistle tips installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Not a chance. It’s a V6 Dodge Charger that was a previous rental car. It’s now mismatched panels and has an ill fitting spoiler. It has no less than 43 whistle tips installed.

those are still too new. bubb rubb is definitely in a 90s altima still

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

That Works posted:

Wrong thread and all but since it came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXow3d3-b0

Trip down memory lane.

Definitely wrong thread because Bubb Rubb is awesome car stuff.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
i found this on reddit:

what the?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
fue- hey that's a homebrew parking brake aka a line lock. still sucks and right at home.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Large Testicles posted:

those are still too new. bubb rubb is definitely in a 90s altima still

I'm gonna argue 1st and 2nd gen Altimas weren't that bad. The KA24 wasn't refined in any way, but as long as you fed it timing chain tensioners, the car would do the GM thing and fall apart around the engine. Decent torque off the line too, since, well, truck motor.

Pain in the dick to work on though. Step 1 of getting to the PCV valve or power steering pump: "remove intake manifold". That was also step 1 of replacing the knock sensor, but if you had skinny arms you could turn a 6 hour job into 30 minutes by doing it from below, blindly, by feel.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Having it buried is a dumb packaging failure, but I can't imagine any other modern production line has the ability to pull a car off the line? If nothing else, it's gunna cause problems further down the line when say, the seats or whatever else that match that VIN are waiting for that chassis further down the line.

That's one big reason. Seats didn't matter much, we only did one color interior at the time (and only . But wheels, doors, bumper covers, etc were all staged in the expected order. You're completely on autopilot and not paying that much attention, since they only allow ~45 seconds per station - it's always a :doh: when you step back and realize you just put a white bumper on a blue car, or black doors on a white car, all because a car got removed from the line before reaching your station. I saw a couple make it with the wrong bumper cover alllll the way to the end and driven off... there was a lot of yelling at everyone in the building over that. Removing the rear one isn't a big deal (yank the tail lights, 6 bolts, and a bunch of clips); the front one is a pain in the dick (headlights and some other stuff has to come off).

It's physically impossible to remove a car from the middle of a line too, even when the AGV it's riding on goes up in smoke (took 7 or 8 people to push that one to the end of our line and off to the side, and it sat there for a few days until they could repair the AGV and put it back in the line) - each line is usually surrounded by platforms, so you can only go forward and back (the AGVs can go side to side, but only by manual control unless they're making a programmed turn). Stopping one line has a chain reaction too. The ones feeding one line will immediately start backing up (so stopping my line would cause chassis and another line to back up, eventually stopping even paint if it's bad enough). The ones downwind will take a bit to run out of work, but eventually you have 5000+ people standing around playing scratch and sniff with their rear end cracks.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

randomidiot posted:

That's one big reason. Seats didn't matter much, we only did one color interior at the time (and only . But wheels, doors, bumper covers, etc were all staged in the expected order. You're completely on autopilot and not paying that much attention, since they only allow ~45 seconds per station - it's always a :doh: when you step back and realize you just put a white bumper on a blue car, or black doors on a white car, all because a car got removed from the line before reaching your station. I saw a couple make it with the wrong bumper cover alllll the way to the end and driven off... there was a lot of yelling at everyone in the building over that. Removing the rear one isn't a big deal (yank the tail lights, 6 bolts, and a bunch of clips); the front one is a pain in the dick (headlights and some other stuff has to come off).

It's physically impossible to remove a car from the middle of a line too, even when the AGV it's riding on goes up in smoke (took 7 or 8 people to push that one to the end of our line and off to the side, and it sat there for a few days until they could repair the AGV and put it back in the line) - each line is usually surrounded by platforms, so you can only go forward and back (the AGVs can go side to side, but only by manual control unless they're making a programmed turn). Stopping one line has a chain reaction too. The ones feeding one line will immediately start backing up (so stopping my line would cause chassis and another line to back up, eventually stopping even paint if it's bad enough). The ones downwind will take a bit to run out of work, but eventually you have 5000+ people standing around playing scratch and sniff with their rear end cracks.

The most brutal irony in all this is that this is *exactly* the trouble GM had with what Toyota wanted them to do when they showed them how to run NUMMI in the 80s. GM absolutely refused to stop the line for any reason as it looked bad on production metrics. The Japanese took the opposite approach, encouraging fixing the issue at the source rather than dealing with it on the back end. Alanis Morissette couldn't hope for anything more ironic than Musk thinking he knows best and to fall exactly back into the same methods that were in place before Toyota showed GM how to be profitable building cars in the modern era.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/561/nummi-2015

That said, Tesla seemed to have taken a page out of the Trump playbook and just refused to pay their contractors until the absolute latest date possible. My old company pulled out of doing work for them because they were letting invoices go 120 and 150 days past due. Eventually the owners decided they were running a business, not a charity, and just got the hell out of dodge.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Cars are terrible car stuff? https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/p...ed-for-privacy/

Mozilla Foundation posted:

We reviewed 25 car brands in our research and we handed out 25 “dings” for how those companies collect and use data and personal information. That’s right: every car brand we looked at collects more personal data than necessary and uses that information for a reason other than to operate your vehicle and manage their relationship with you. For context, 63% of the mental health apps (another product category that stinks at privacy) we reviewed this year received this “ding.”

And car companies have so many more data-collecting opportunities than other products and apps we use -- more than even smart devices in our homes or the cell phones we take wherever we go. They can collect personal information from how you interact with your car, the connected services you use in your car, the car’s app (which provides a gateway to information on your phone), and can gather even more information about you from third party sources like Sirius XM or Google Maps. It’s a mess. The ways that car companies collect and share your data are so vast and complicated that we wrote an entire piece on how that works. The gist is: they can collect super intimate information about you -- from your medical information, your genetic information, to your “sex life” (seriously), to how fast you drive, where you drive, and what songs you play in your car -- in huge quantities. They then use it to invent more data about you through “inferences” about things like your intelligence, abilities, and interests.

Hooray for the GDPR having some (limited) influence on Euro manufacturers, lol @ Nissan and Kia being creepy little perverts.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My car sending in the data: well, he's driving a 2008 BMW so he must be very smart

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BRB, looking for a clean 93 Accord EX.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

randomidiot posted:

I'm gonna argue 1st and 2nd gen Altimas weren't that bad. The KA24 wasn't refined in any way, but as long as you fed it timing chain tensioners, the car would do the GM thing and fall apart around the engine. Decent torque off the line too, since, well, truck motor.

I feel like Altimas themselves, of all generations aren't that bad.

Sure they aren't that great either, but its the people who drive them that make BAE BAE.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sure they aren't that great either, but its the people who drive them that make BAE BAE.

You wouldn't get it. It's a Nissan thing.

*zooms off in Altima with bald tires, several exhaust leaks, and dragging its bungee-corded bumper*

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Everyone I've ever driven, mostly rentals and starting from about 2009 when I worked briefly at Enterprise, has had the earliest bite in a brake pedal I've ever experienced. So weirdly scaled and it always made it hard to drive smoothly, which was a real chore when picking up customers. I think I had one about two years ago that was the same.

What really gives us the big Nissan energy is this:

quote:

The automaker's first-quarter fleet sales surged 83 percent to 67,577, compared with a 36 percent increase for the overall industry, per TrueCar estimates based on data through mid-March.

TrueCar forecasted Nissan's fleet penetration to be the second highest among major manufacturers after Stellantis in March and above the industry average of 16 percent.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Cars are terrible car stuff? https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/p...ed-for-privacy/

Hooray for the GDPR having some (limited) influence on Euro manufacturers, lol @ Nissan and Kia being creepy little perverts.

The quotes around "sex life" are some of the most ominous punctuation I've seen in a long time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm so glad my cars are from 1979 through 1994 and the only way the 1994 knows anything about my sex life is because it's an RV.

These cars are only as smart as I choose to make them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I'm so glad my cars are from 1979 through 1994 and the only way the 1994 knows anything about my sex life is because it's an RV.

These cars are only as smart as I choose to make them.

Same. Zero "smart" equipment in any of my cars (2005 is the newest) that isn't our phones already collecting everything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm gonna rip out the unit in my brz that's connected to the cloud

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I'm gonna rip out the unit in my brz that's connected to the cloud

Surprise! All Neutrals!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bluetooth gearbox

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

orange juche posted:

Bluetooth gearbox
Don't give people ideas.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

stealie72 posted:

Don't give people ideas.

Don't be silly.

It'll probably just be choosing gears through Alexa which informs you insurance company if you choose to shift any higher than 3000 rpm or request it to downshift more than 2 adjacent gears

E: it'll probably only cost 15 cents for each shift if you keep up your platinum transmission subscription (but only 10 cents on Fridays because YAY WEEKEND!!)

But if you downgrade to the silver or gold sub it will cost you 20 cents per plus surcharge, and a bronze is the same price (.20)per shift, but you're limited to only 600 shifts per month and if you go over that its 30 cents each.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 6, 2023

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Don't be silly.

It'll probably just be choosing gears through Alexa which informs you insurance company if you choose to shift any higher than 3000 rpm or request it to downshift more than 2 adjacent gears

E: it'll probably only cost 15 cents for each shift if you keep up your platinum transmission subscription (but only 10 cents on Fridays because YAY WEEKEND!!)

But if you downgrade to the silver or gold sub it will cost you 20 cents per plus surcharge, and a bronze is the same price (.20)per shift, but you're limited to only 600 shifts per month and if you go over that its 30 cents each.

So you're saying I only have 3rd gear from now on.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shades of waiting til after 7pm to call people on my first cell plan

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
oh my cars definitely know who I'm loving cause they were bent over in the front bench seat with their face stuffed in the leather :tutbutt::dong: :wink:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

F1 sucks poo poo anyway but I'm not sure getting healthy adult trees removed for your race is particularly great optics considering the world is burning...

https://twitter.com/VitalVegas/status/1699129826010095788?t=toHwl11eVp68RdBeGmvrcA&s=19

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gonna disagree. The QR25 that ate its own catalytic converter (destroying the rings in the process) kinda soured me on the 3rd gen and QR in general (that and the cars just don't age well... then they forced CVTs on you a few years later). Nothing inherently wrong with the later QR engines; they put out decent power for what they are. But after ~2012, your only transmission choice is the unreliable one.

The few they offered with the V6 + 6 speed are fun as hell though, helps make up for a bit. Though at that point I'd rather have a 3 pedal Maxima. Maxima is heavier, but they drive decent for their size, and they're just a bit nicer overall.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 7, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

F1 sucks poo poo anyway but I'm not sure getting healthy adult trees removed for your race is particularly great optics considering the world is burning...

https://twitter.com/VitalVegas/status/1699129826010095788?t=toHwl11eVp68RdBeGmvrcA&s=19

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Tree law stories are the best because it's almost always stories about rich entitled pricks getting their expensive commupance, and some regular joe getting a big payout just because they like trees.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Unless theyre large corporations and they just get a slap on the wrist because local authority wont chase it.

See the tree pruning during the writer strikes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

They’re only healthy because they’re irrigated and there’s not enough water for Vegas anyway. Use the water for more important things.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
To stan for the trees as a Vegas person, trees are a good use of our available water. In providing shade ground temperatures are reduced and overall evaporation is lowered. There's a big drive here right now to plant more shade trees, especially desert species like palo verde, in order to lower the overall urban heat island effect. At the same time, the water district is banning non-playing field grass, which is actually the big water waster. Also, the Bellagio lake is fed from a private spring that they have water rights to, so nobody can tell them poo poo anyway. Also also, the trees are coming down because they're building grandstands literally on top of Lake Bellagio, which is presenting certain engineering challenges.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Phanatic posted:

They’re only healthy because they’re irrigated and there’s not enough water for Vegas anyway. Use the water for more important things.

trees ARE important dingus

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Large Testicles posted:

trees ARE important dingus

Yes but most trees, especially palm trees, are not native to Las Vegas.

They are a good use of resources, but more energy intensive because the desert isn't really the place trees like to be.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Yes but most trees, especially palm trees, are not native to Las Vegas.

They are a good use of resources, but more energy intensive because the desert isn't really the place trees like to be.

people aren't native to Vegas either and i'd say any trees are a better use of water than a giant fuckoff hotel or F1 race

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Large Testicles posted:

people aren't native to Vegas either and i'd say any trees are a better use of water than a giant fuckoff hotel or F1 race

Agreed, for sure. But really there's better native plant choices.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Large Testicles posted:

They're only there specifically because of the giant fuckoff hotel. Let the giant fuckoff hotel's imported and transplated water-hungry vegetation that was only placed there to attract customers and that's kept alive only by drawing down publicly-owned water supplies turn brown and wither and the hotel along with it.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

this is beyond the scope of the thread but vegas and all desert living is an exercise in pure hubris and if it dies, i'd be fine with that

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Large Testicles posted:

this is beyond the scope of the thread but vegas and all desert living is an exercise in pure hubris and if it dies, i'd be fine with that

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

randomidiot posted:

Gonna disagree. The QR25 that ate its own catalytic converter (destroying the rings in the process) kinda soured me on the 3rd gen and QR in general (that and the cars just don't age well... then they forced CVTs on you a few years later). Nothing inherently wrong with the later QR engines; they put out decent power for what they are. But after ~2012, your only transmission choice is the unreliable one.

The few they offered with the V6 + 6 speed are fun as hell though, helps make up for a bit. Though at that point I'd rather have a 3 pedal Maxima. Maxima is heavier, but they drive decent for their size, and they're just a bit nicer overall.

Sad part is that generation of Altima's design actually aged really well cosmetically, but there's almost none of them around anymore because literally. every. single. one. died at 85k miles and fixing it was prohibitive for a 5-10 year old car that cost $22k new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

My EV6 has a calendar app, and a notepad app and all that poo poo so the companion app on my phone wants access to pretty much everything. And I'm like "No Kia, your app is for starting the AC/Heating from the breakfast table and that's it!"