Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Finding ways to cheese an achievement is considered by many to be in the spirit of achievements, and many games put in achievements that are effectively impossible to do without cheesing, which further blurs the line.

I suggest using the video game to have fun however you want!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I did it the once just to see if it would work so I haven't tested it with Russia but I can't see why it wouldn't unless Rome is in the game and founds on turn 1. Not sure who would win in that case.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tom Tucker posted:

Finding ways to cheese an achievement is considered by many to be in the spirit of achievements, and many games put in achievements that are effectively impossible to do without cheesing, which further blurs the line.

I suggest using the video game to have fun however you want!

I was being snarky, but there's nothing wrong with wanting to speedrun some achievements. I don't understand simply modding the game to get all the achievements at once, but if you want to figure out how quickly you can win a game of Civilization VI, a one-turn game as Rome is the answer.

There's a speedrun category for Civ VI where you can choose the starting conditions - the record for that one is 0.03 seconds. There's also a category where you have to start in the Ancient era with normal settings on a standard map size. Someone set a new record for that category earlier this week, with a mindblowing time of just under 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YTyW_Ysl_I&t=40s

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's had to be a whole lotta seed scumming to get that start position. Still impressive tho.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Chamale posted:

Some people see achievements as a checklist that encourages them to try playing the game in new ways.
Yeah, that's me. When I start a new game with a new civ, I tend to look up their achievements first and try to do them. Also, I am not starting the nth game on a medium continents map when there's an achievement for playing island or fractals, for example. Achievements make me break my mold and try something new.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why the hell are continents even the default option, it's quite possibly the worst map type. Fuckin' pangea turns out more interesting games.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I think the idea is to put some emphasis on using a navy at all, which you can pretty much ignore entirely on Pangea.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Yesterday I realised, that Bolívar and Pedro share the same animation set. Weren't these fancy animations Firaxis' mark of pride for Civ6?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I mostly play continents&islands, also occasionally archipelago or the dumb custom maps i made based on poo poo like middle-earth and ff7. I don't like pangea because I like boating being a relevant part of the game, and I don't like continents because it always seems to make two giant blobby rectangles separated by a million miles of ocean.

THE BAR posted:

Yesterday I realised, that Bolívar and Pedro share the same animation set. Weren't these fancy animations Firaxis' mark of pride for Civ6?

no one at firaxis had the slightest bit of pride about this game

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

no one at firaxis had the slightest bit of pride about this game

Alright, but I'm fairly sure I read that's where the money went.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Splintered Fractal with low sea level is what we've played multiplayer on for years.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Most of the leaders from the New Frontier pass reused animation sets from older leaders. Might be due to the pandemic since that came out in 2020, though the first part of the pass came out in May so you'd expect it to have been in development prior to that. XCOM: Chimera Squad came out in April 2020 and while I didn't play that I remember XCOM fans being somewhat underwhelmed by it. So if that underperformed, they may have just been looking to cut costs if they were making it for a cash injection, or possibly the mixed quality of Chimera Squad and the New Frontier Pass* stem from a common cause.

*Don't get me wrong, the new modes were really cool in principle, but the AI fundamentally didn't know how to play them (especially corporations & monopolies) and once you realised that it kinda sucked the fun out of them.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Corps and Monopolies is essentially unplayable against the AI, unless you turn off cultural victory and try to behave yourself.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's not the first time I've heard that and I don't understand; the industry goods cost a pile of cogs for only so-so returns (obviously best used in big cities), but what's so OP about them? The wiki tells me they spit out a tiny amount of tourism with a 1% bonus for a monopoly, but... so what?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kanfy posted:

Splintered Fractal with low sea level is what we've played multiplayer on for years.

this is the way

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Serephina posted:

That's not the first time I've heard that and I don't understand; the industry goods cost a pile of cogs for only so-so returns (obviously best used in big cities), but what's so OP about them? The wiki tells me they spit out a tiny amount of tourism with a 1% bonus for a monopoly, but... so what?

There's something wonky going on with the tourism bonus. It racks up more than any other source in the game, and it's spammable.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

It's not 1%, it's 1% for each copy of the resource you have, for each civ that doesn't have a copy of the resource improved, and only if you don't have an industry or corporation for the resource. If you do have one it's tripled. Here's one of the examples from the wiki:

quote:

Player has a 3-resource Monopoly (3/3 or 3/4 or 3/5) in a 10-player game:
1% * 3r * 9p = 27% (no Industry or Corporation, single controlling player)
3% * 3r * 9p = 81% (Industry or Corporation built, single controlling player)
3% * 3r * 7p = 63% (Industry or Corporation built, two other controlling players)

And you can have multiple monopolies. It's pretty easy to have +200% tourism from monopolies, especially on bigger maps.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh wow, I really must have missed that part. Those are some pretty bonkers numbers, what the heck where they thinking. I never knew this, I thought they where mostly there for the industry products lol.

I'll blame the ingame civpedia for glossing over it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Once again, in a game full of odd, bad, and baffling design decisions, making all the math so horribly opaque may be the worst sin of this game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Just a few minutes ago I finished a culture victory and I have no idea how the numbers were adding up.

In civ 5 it made sense!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I like continents because it’s super fun to unite my home continent into a big uniform blob and build it up into a powerhouse and then explore the other island and let them feel the terror of my appearance.

It’s also neat to see what’s been going on on the other continent like finding Washington controlled by the Mayans and going full “what the hell happened here??”

Then you trade and get a huge boost in luxuries and start sending trade routes there for huge cash. It makes the exploration age feel like the huge economic inflection point that it was.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I sort of wish that luxury goods were based on trade routes, not bespoke trade deals. Or at least have those be very rare.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's even basically the same system as Civ V, only hidden behind several layers of opacity!

The basic breakdown is that a civilization generates a domestic tourist for ever 100 points of Culture, and steals a domestic tourist from another civ and turns it into a foreign tourist at regular breakpoints of Tourism production (150*number of civs, IIRC). That's a fine iteration on the system because it makes your tourism to smaller civs matter instead of exclusively making you focus on pumping tourism into Rome or Brazil or whoever is the biggest culture producer, but the game goes out of its way to present the information in the obscurest possible manner so you have no way to infer that from the game itself.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That sounds roughly as terrible as the World Congress system.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Anyone ever play the pirates ruleset? I played one session online that was a lot of fun despite very sub par opponents. It can be a really quick game mode but a lot of fun, any other goons want to get a round together?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Had to abandon a game as hopeless (or at the very least, too frustrating to play out) due to a goddamn mod. "Late game AI" removes a bunch of early game free stuff to give bigger % bonuses later, which sounds great at first but things got a wee bit silly. Was playing Immortal (as the mod says to drop the difficulty one step than you're used to), was streaking ahead in medival/ren as is expected, but by industrial suddenly everyone has science coming out of their ears, and worst off the tech leader (behind me) who was the same era as me (modern) had his cities be totally invulnerable.

Like, I know cities are supposed to be big, and are based on the largest unit you have, but I'm pretty sure battleships are supposed to be able to like, chip away at them or something. I had an unlimited procession of them bounce off of a 114-Strength city (his smallest!). That is, for those counting at home, the premium naval siege unit or the era, with a free +7 promotion from a wonder, great admiral, and +5 policy card still be almost 30 points below on the attack. Was doing like 2 damage per attack to the outer defenses with seven ships in 3-tile range. Gave up after I realized that the game might go to score victory before I took my second city at this pace.

Don't use the "Late Game AI" mod.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Serephina posted:

Had to abandon a game as hopeless (or at the very least, too frustrating to play out) due to a goddamn mod. "Late game AI" removes a bunch of early game free stuff to give bigger % bonuses later, which sounds great at first but things got a wee bit silly. Was playing Immortal (as the mod says to drop the difficulty one step than you're used to), was streaking ahead in medival/ren as is expected, but by industrial suddenly everyone has science coming out of their ears, and worst off the tech leader (behind me) who was the same era as me (modern) had his cities be totally invulnerable.

Like, I know cities are supposed to be big, and are based on the largest unit you have, but I'm pretty sure battleships are supposed to be able to like, chip away at them or something. I had an unlimited procession of them bounce off of a 114-Strength city (his smallest!). That is, for those counting at home, the premium naval siege unit or the era, with a free +7 promotion from a wonder, great admiral, and +5 policy card still be almost 30 points below on the attack. Was doing like 2 damage per attack to the outer defenses with seven ships in 3-tile range. Gave up after I realized that the game might go to score victory before I took my second city at this pace.

Don't use the "Late Game AI" mod.

Hmm, Late Game AI + Real Strategy (which is meant to be used with it) are our go-to mod combination for giving the AI some semblance of competitiveness in the long term but I can't say that scenario sounds familiar, I don't think they get any flat boost to city defenses or anything and you can disable the small combat bonus AI units get from the settings too.

That said we play it on Emperor with the AI starting units re-enabled rather than Immortal since from my experience it makes for the most challenging-but-reasonable experience, the AI can still run away with science pretty hard in the late game if you don't keep up, but it's rarely unsurmountable and it's still Civ VI AI (especially in warfare) so they're always very beatable if you know what you're doing.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 17, 2023

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Have you tried nukes?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Microplastics posted:

i was considering photoshopping this into the quote about social media only to find that someone has already made a mod that does a dril tweet for every tech & civic

Steam Workshop: Drililization - @dril Tech & Civic Quotes
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2852210435
Update on this: I installed this and forgot about it until my kid started playing Civ 6. And now I'm having to explain dril tweets every time he unlocks a tech lol

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That's enough to get me to start another playthrough

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I use Real Strategy alongside LategameAI as suggested. I decided to be less of a whiny baby and play the game out. I wardec'd one guy at the start of a golden age for the -75% greviances, and two eras later the war is basically over as I found bombers effective where battleship fleets where not. He's not surrendered yet, but that's not my problem.

My problem is the amount of lovely tiny civs threatening science victory in the modern (not even atomic!) era. E.G. Julius Caeser has a capital of size 15, no bonuses to space race stuff (I checked! no government plaza, wrong government, and I sniped all the +city project stuff), a pillaged industrial district... and can do the exoplant in 6 turns flat. That's faster than my size 38 capital with +160%, he must be getting something like +50 production and +200% from the modded bonuses, he's also making GBS threads out GDRs with no Uranium, lol.

I might turn the difficulty down next game, but the mod guys still got it slightly wrong (imo) as it feels as instead of digging yourself out of a hole you're now racing a clock until the computer players win via raw cheating bullshit. Like, the bonuses still theoretically have 3 eras to get bigger, lol.

-----

There's also a lot of generic problems with Civ6 that I notice whenever I come back to it, from the wildy overcomplicated nested bonuses coming from eight different directions which are never tallied in a single place, woes about how rudimentary the diplomacy feels, etc etc. It's still probably best "best" 4X I've played when taken as a whole, but that's more of a comment on how the genre hasn't had a golden standard entry in quite some time.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol @ the engagement on this. It's almost been a week

Anyway I've been using a whole host of UI mods but have yet to dabble in AI mods. Gonna give Real Strategy and LategameAI a spin

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Anyway I've been using a whole host of UI mods but have yet to dabble in AI mods. Gonna give Real Strategy and LategameAI a spin
I've never seen that before and I played Civ6 half an hour ago. I might watch Potatomcwhiskey if he participates and uploads to his channel.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I hope Ursa Ryan's in there too, I've been getting into him lately, he's possibly on par with potato but with a very different style of play. I feel like they're both hyper optimized to fight the AI, and might not do as well against people used to playing against humans.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Microplastics posted:

Might just be a bug, the link on my page has a fair few likes and comments. Well, 858 and 56 respectively, which isn't a lot, but it's steam not twitter so who knows.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I hope Ursa Ryan's in there too, I've been getting into him lately, he's possibly on par with potato but with a very different style of play. I feel like they're both hyper optimized to fight the AI, and might not do as well against people used to playing against humans.

I agree. Civ as a franchise really shines when humans get to combine different strategies and tactics in interesting ways, where as Potato and Ursa have both played the AI to the point where they know almost every next move they will make.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

MP is defiantly the harder challenge (other than outcompeting a deity start), but the part of my brain that shoots dopamine at me likes ruthlessly destroying the AI through system mastery. Humans are chaos, and understand district adjacency, hard to min max against that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I part of me suspects that in human v human games, attack is too hard and defense too easy so you end up with mega-turtling and thus unchanging borders, with all competition within the tech tree space (until whoever gets nukes first wins)

This is based on nothing but uninformed speculation though

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
From what I've heard it's quite the opposite, it turns out that now matter how turtled you are, getting mobbed by two+ people at once who are at the same tech level is gonna hurt no matter what.

Multiplayer civ sounds like the video game equivalent of Diplomacy, cool as hell in theory but I sure as gently caress ain't got a week of my life spare to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Hah that's how I feel. One of things I miss most about being a teenager is being able to spend ungodly amounts of time on videogames :argh: now I have to videogame in bitesize chunks between meetings and taking my kid to nursery goddammit