Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the funny thing is that they really did have a happy period there 2000-2008

hell same

edit: drat on the :911: page too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

hell same

Good snipe.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the funny thing is that they really did have a happy period there 2000-2008

did they

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Gepards look sick imo. Just weird crustacean warhammer mfers.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

appropriatemetaphor posted:

hell same

gotta post on :911:.

well .... some of them

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
heres a few jokes from the vicious 90s - early 00s about the winners and losers of that one

quote:

Will your bank give me a loan for my word of honor?”
“No problem...”
“And what if I don't repay it?”
“Then you will be ashamed when you appear before the Almighty.”
“But that’s far in the future, right?”
“Well, if you don’t repay it on the fifth, you'll meet Him on the sixth.”

quote:

In the cloakroom of a theatre: "Would you like binoculars?" - "No, thanks, I have a laser sight."

vs

quote:

A New Russian brags to his colleague:

"Look at my new tie. I bought it for 500 dollars in the store over there."

"You were conned. You could have paid twice as much for the same one just across the street!"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hello on the terror page

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
These russian jokes are hilariously dark, but as comedy they suck.

Posting this on the terrible taliban terrorist page

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The real crime of 9/11

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvador_Allende

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i had to explain the joke behind ladas in my discord tonight

i am as sad as the 911 eagle

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
A fisherman is sitting on the banks of a river with two fishing rods. On one he put a worm and throws it into the river. On the second one he put a worm too but throws it behind his back. A man walks by and asks:
- The fishing rod in the river is understandable. But why is the other one?
- I will not tell you.
- Tell me and I'll pour you a shot of vodka.
- Alright, pour it.
The man poured the fisherman a shot of vodka, he drank it and says:
- Look, no fish has bit with the fishing rod in the river yet, but the one in my back - you are already the fifth.

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
I forgot

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

As they say in russia, give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody post anything here for three days so we can have a proper celebration.

E math bad

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 8, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yle interviewed an Estonian expert on the currently ongoing bullshit Russia's doing. Translation's mine as usual, so any possible errors are also my responsibility.

Original article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20049026
Journalist: Riikka Kajander

Yle.fi posted:

Russia is testing Nato by creating risky situations
A drone crashed over the Romanian border, but Kristin Raik says there's not need to let fear rule.

This Monday parts of a Russian drone landed over the border of Nato country Romania, their defence minister confirmed on Wednesday. Nato secretary Jens Stoltenberg on his part commented on the matter cautiously, and reminded everyone that there's no proof of intent.

- Russia is testing Nato by creating risky situations, and seeing how Nato reacts, says the head of Estonia's institute of foreign policy, Kristi Raik.

According to Raik the aim could be psychological influencing by creating a fear of war in Nato. She believes that Russia has no desire to actually get into a war with Nato.

Nato remains quiet, because they want to avoid escalation
According to Raik Nato will in all likelihood try to avoid taking any steps which could increase the risk of escalation.

- Naturally this is something that has to be taken very seriously, Raik admits. However, it is important not to give fear too much power. Raik reminds everyone that Romania themselves have not made any requests to Nato, or even asked for a consultation.

- If they wanted a stronger reaction from Nato, a member country has to request it themselves, Raik says.

According to Raik, Nato's reactions are a demanding game of balance. Every step needs to be carefully considered, to avoid the risk of Russian escalation. At the same time Nato has to consider realistic risks and their own interests, meaning the support given to Ukraine in their war.

- War is a real risk to Nato, and it needs to have a credible capability to defend itself, and must pay attention to it. Nato needs to have the ability to respond, if something happens on the Eastern border.

According to Raik, Russia's goal could be the withdrawal of Western support to Ukraine. She says that this can not be allowed to happen.

"Russia does not want a war against Nato"
If Russia is found to have intentionally committed a military strike against a Nato country, the situation would be completely different, Raik says. This would call for the invoking of Nato's fifth article. However, Raik believes Russia does not want a war against Nato.

- We are not in that situation now. I would think it likely that Russia will not take any intentional acts against Nato. They are constantly playing with risks and psychological pressure, and try to affect the West's resolve to suppot Ukraine.

According to Raik, Nato has to now ponder if they want to reinforce their aerial defences on the Ukrainian borders. According to her Nato has defence plans in place against possible attacks on Nato countries.

- There's been a lot of talk about possible ambiguous situations where a Nato country could be the target of hybrid attacks. As far as I know, there is no clear policy for these situations. The attacks can be very varied, but one central concept is that any Nato country attacked must request help, or otherwise Nato will not act.

According to president Sauli Niinistö, the parts of a Russian drone that fell in Romania, underline a certain kind of "balance of terror" that's currently reigning in Europe. In his talk on Thursday Niinistö also mentioned the threat of nuclear weapons, and that we must keep in mind the potential for nuclear escalation.

Kristi Raik does not believe the risk of nuclear weapons has suddenly increased.

- Of course we can't rule it out, but I think it is highly unlikely for them to be used. I don't know if Niinistö has some information I'm not privy to, for him to bring this up. It's possible, but I am not aware of anything.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1700037977135563154#m
Puccian barbarians and human scum can't win on the battlefield, so they terrorize everyone using missile strikes instead.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Relatively anyway. The economy was largely bouncing back from the post-Soviet crash, even if it was buoyed partly by increasing oil prices. Unfortunately, Putin was already showing who he was in growing imperialism/authoritarianism, even if it didn't look as bad by comparison when the US was deep in its own military adventurism. And the rampant kleptocracy kept the increased wealth from being fed into infrastructure and development that could keep the country prosperous when oil prices inevitably tanked.

What it all comes down to is that Putin in the 2000s was in a great position to cement a legacy as a great leader who turned his country into something better. He didn't even have to do that much, or actually be that good, just ride on political and economic tailwinds and do a little basic good governance. But he didn't want that, he wanted to be the new tsar who rebuilt the empire.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Von Pluring posted:

These russian jokes are hilariously dark, but as comedy they suck.

So pretty much like Russia then.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My favourite dark Russian (well, dark Soviet) joke is genuinely the fact that when the Soviets got M3 Lee tanks from the US as military aid, they very quickly gave the slow and relatively poorly armoured tank a brutal nickname: "A coffin for seven brothers".

Here's another form the other side of the border.

A group of Soviet soldiers is advancing in Karelia. Suddenly from a forest a voice calls out: "one Finn is equal to ten Soviets". The commissar sends a squad of soldiers into the forest. There's sounds of fighting, but nobody comes out. A voice calls out: "one Finn is equal to 50 Soviets". The commissar sends a platoon of soldiers into the forest. More sounds of fighting, nobody returns. The voice calls out: "one Finn is equal to 1000 Soviets". Now enraged, the commissar sends all his remaining troops into the forest. Sounds of gunfire, explosions, screams. Then quiet. Eventually one bloody Soviet soldier stumbles out of the forest, grabs a hold of the commissar and goes: "Comrade commissar, don't send any more guys in there, it's a trap: there's two of them!"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My favourite dark Russian (well, dark Soviet) joke is genuinely the fact that when the Soviets got M3 Lee tanks from the US as military aid, they very quickly gave the slow and relatively poorly armoured tank a brutal nickname: "A coffin for seven brothers".

A group of Soviet soldiers is advancing in Karelia. Suddenly from a forest a voice calls out: "one Finn is equal to ten Soviets". The commissar sends a squad of soldiers into the forest. There's sounds of fighting, but nobody comes out. A voice calls out: "one Finn is equal to 50 Soviets". The commissar sends a platoon of soldiers into the forest. More sounds of fighting, nobody returns. The voice calls out: "one Finn is equal to 1000 Soviets". Now enraged, the commissar sends all his remaining troops into the forest. Sounds of gunfire, explosions, screams. Then quiet. Eventually one bloody Soviet soldier stumbles out of the forest, grabs a hold of the commissar and goes: "Comrade commissar, don't send any more guys in there, it's a trap: there's two of them!"

Somebody already modified this joke to fit the Ukrainian war, it's more or less the same just with changed participants

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Weirdly I think the British really liked the m3 lee in the north african campaigns since its front armour was actually really good and had a very powerful gun for the time. The fact it was hull mounted also made it much more stable and accurate, and in the desert environments it's downsides of being tall ans unable to go hull down werent quite so acute. Still much worse than the sherman when that arrived.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

quote:

quote:

In the cloakroom of a theatre: "Would you like binoculars?" - "No, thanks, I have a laser sight."

:nsa: banger right here

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

:nsa: banger right here
Losses continue to pile up
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1700070078149013553

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Happy to be posting that Putin is a real piece of poo poo of the Porsche page

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

posting on the Rudy guillini page

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
drat 3 days from posting on 911 on 9/11

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Drone_Fragger posted:

Weirdly I think the British really liked the m3 lee in the north african campaigns since its front armour was actually really good and had a very powerful gun for the time.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying the M3 Lee was terrible. It compared very favourably to many German tanks of its day, which it faced in the desert. Not so hot against the later Panzer IV variants etc.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Alan Smithee posted:

drat 3 days from posting on 911 on 9/11

I could lock the thread. :troll:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1700093591949820406#m
Too bad, so sad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean of course he did and obviously he did. But it's still good that it's being said out loud. I'm sure most Russians will either dismiss it as western propaganda or go "duh of course he did, but so what", but maybe some will start thinking about things.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Russia can't melt steel beams.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean of course he did and obviously he did. But it's still good that it's being said out loud. I'm sure most Russians will either dismiss it as western propaganda or go "duh of course he did, but so what", but maybe some will start thinking about things.
That's probably too generous an assessment, especially if those who start thinking keep their thoughts to themselves in order not to get gulaged.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

that sounds bad. for russia. lol lmao.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

They weren't going to be used for anything useful anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Karate Bastard posted:

They weren't going to be used for anything useful anyway.

they could have been handed over to Ukraine intact :smith:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

zone posted:

Murz also posted a gigantic essay (tens of thousands of words long, so I'll just put up a summary) on telegram today where he sardonically bemoaned the stupidity of vatnik milbloggers, repeatedly pointed out that Ukraine was anything but stupid, about the horrific losses Puccia was suffering, how despite Ukraine losing a lot of men and equipment, their losses were far less serious and in many cases could be replaced, their command staff was entirely intact and ready to train more replacement troops, the multiple deep strikes on Puccian territory, and finally he cynically said that he felt in his bones, something similar to the disaster at Tobruk in WWII would happen to the Puccian lines and that would be the end of everything.
https://t.me/s/wehearfromyanina link if you want to read it all

Read it all, interesting read. According to Murz Ukraine does everything right, being smart and meticulous about the counteroffensive. He expects the punch to happen before October when new wave of mobiks should start arriving and RU trucks, starved for tires and spareparts should have a hard time dealing with weather. On russia's side "true patriots" are in constant struggle with corrupt idiots from MoD. Copium is strong, he posts about some anonymous military genius who used his mafia connections to get involved in the military and is now subtly and stealthily enacts much needed reform in how RU army operates.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

High abortion rates are actually a sign of healthier younger populations, don't get confused on that one being a negative like the others you listed.

Digging up this one because there's some additional things that can be said about it.

Russia has neither a very healthy or a very young population. IIRC a thing that has been an issue or phenomenon in Russia, going back to the Soviet era, is that while abortions were legal and readily available, they also tended to be the primary means of birth control, with other measures, such such as condoms not being used that much. Probably part of that was very lackluster sex ed for the Soviet (and I presume also modern day Russian) population, and thus also lack of availability of and information about other forms of birth control. Which meant that while a woman could get an abortion pretty easily, STDs were not effectively controlled and in fact were and are noted as widespread and a real social and medical issue.
Then there is the fact that having a lot of abortions, really isn't all that healthy as I understand it, it's not that big of a deal when you have condoms and other means of birth control to rely on before you get to the necessity of having an abortion, but when that's all you get, yeah, it's actually not that great.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Presented without comment.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
It's just a copelerone. A delicious new soviet chocolate. Melts in the mouth upon ignition.