Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Gnoman posted:

Would be a neat trick, since OOTS was 10 years old when patreo n launched.

As in when Patreon started and became well-known. He waited years to do it (not really sure why, considering he'd already had a popular Kickstarter already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DeadBonesBrook posted:

As in when Patreon started and became well-known. He waited years to do it (not really sure why, considering he'd already had a popular Kickstarter already)

Some folks are uncomfortable with the idea of begging for money.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah he was straight up about this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Kickstarter was just incredibly badly handled, he and the comic would've been infinitely better off if he'd just accepted all the money people were willing to give him for his work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The fact that Rich is making regular money off Patreon (which he should have been doing from the start) also means that there's no rush for him to wrap things up.

(I just checked and the last bi-monthly Q&A on the Patreon was in March)
I'm sure it's not how you meant it, but the way this post comes across is that you're saying Rich having a Patreon is a bad thing, because he worked harder when he had the constant fear of poverty hanging over his head.

Facebook Aunt posted:

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Kickstarter was just incredibly badly handled, he and the comic would've been infinitely better off if he'd just accepted all the money people were willing to give him for his work.
Especially given the context of this, and that Rich even resisted selling PDF collections of the comics for years because he was worried piracy and people only buying the cheaper PDFs would cut into the book sales he needed to stay afloat.

Intentionally or not, DBB, you're accusing Rich of deliberately dragging the book out so he can milk his Patreon supporters for all they're worth.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 8, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The final book consists of three acts. Each act is divided into three volumes of 100 pages, plus the epilogue.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

girl dick energy posted:

I'm sure it's not how you meant it, but the way this post comes across is that you're saying Rich having a Patreon is a bad thing, because he worked harder when he had the constant fear of poverty hanging over his head.

Especially given the context of this, and that Rich even resisted selling PDF collections of the comics for years because he was worried piracy and people only buying the cheaper PDFs would cut into the book sales he needed to stay afloat.

Intentionally or not, DBB, you're accusing Rich of deliberately dragging the book out so he can milk his Patreon supporters for all they're worth.

Yeah that's inconsistent with literally everything he's ever said and/or done.

I suspect a fear of that kind of accusation was one of the main reasons he didn't want to get a Patreon for so long.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Some artists just really really hate the idea of making money off their work

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

girl dick energy posted:

Not at all. I've supported him on Patreon since day one and will continue to do so until OoTS ends. I'm shocked he waited so long to do it.

I have no idea how much Rich makes on Patreon (it doesn't say, or at least nowhere where I can see it), so I don't know if he can actually live off what he earns. I'd like to think that he does, but you never know when it comes to webcomics.

I don't think he's intentionally dragging out the comic (the pace has never exactly been lightning-fast) but I do think having the monthly income from Patreon means that he doesn't have the pressure to rush to the end like he used to, so he could sell the completed volumes. That doesn't stop me from supporting him every month, as he gave me free entertainment for years (I believe I've been reading since 2007), so if he wants to take his time, he's welcome to. There's enough entertainment on the Internet that I'm not gonna poo poo on Rich for taking it slow after all these years.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Vizuyos posted:

i think Gobbotopia and the Azure City remnants are about as resolved as they're going to be, at least within the context of this story

it's gonna be one of those rocky problems that future generations (and the gods) have to deal with, not something that's going to get wrapped up all neat and tidy on the page while our heroes watch

Oh yeah I don't think they're getting resolved, as such, but I don't think we're done with them. Hinjo's got to show up somewhere in this book, and there was the whole plot line from How the Paladin Got His Scar where the bulk of Redcloak's army and subsequent population of Gobbotopia, came from the settlement that O-Chul and Hinjo had sided with, against the Sapphire Guard, which absolutely ought to come back up somewhere.

That is an aggressively bad faith reading of their post; they very clearly think Rich having financial security is a good thing.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Raenir Salazar posted:

And I'm not necessarily sure of this list that Eugene needs more than like a page. Especially if people are overthinking the extent Eugene's meddling is "bad" vs him trying to find a way of helping that Roy won't reject out of hand that doesn't just get brushed off ultimately.

I feel like Eugene's arc isn't actually going to be over until his meddling directly leads to Xykon's (temporary) victory. His entire character so far is based around having learned nothing and even after Roy told him off, he just went and found a new avenue to try and interfere. He is inherently selfish and the general trope for a character arc would be him to be forced to face how it directly kept him from getting what he wants. It's been a large and consistent enough thread through the story that I feel like it needs to be resolved. If he actually wanted to help Roy, or show that he learned anything at all, he wouldn't have resorted to deception to do it.

As for Tarquin, the entire point of his character arc ending was to show that for all he thinks he does, he doesn't matter in the least. I would be more surprised if we saw him again than if he never showed up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That is an aggressively bad faith reading of their post; they very clearly think Rich having financial security is a good thing.

I got a similar impression actually so good to have it clarified

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I have no idea how much Rich makes on Patreon (it doesn't say, or at least nowhere where I can see it), so I don't know if he can actually live off what he earns. I'd like to think that he does, but you never know when it comes to webcomics.

If I'm reading it correctly he has 2800 backers paying a flat fee of 2 bucks each month so $5,600 before taxes which I don't know how much that is in PPP terms but in Denmark would be similar to a decent office job for someone with a masters degree and a few years experience.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

After Patreon's 30%(?) cut Rich makes a minimum of something like $47k a year before taxes. It's not much to live on but it's possible I suppose, especially with book sales and such padding it out. Bear in mind Patreon allows people to pay more than $2 if they want to.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

After Patreon's 30%(?) cut Rich makes a minimum of something like $47k a year before taxes. It's not much to live on but it's possible I suppose, especially with book sales and such padding it out. Bear in mind Patreon allows people to pay more than $2 if they want to.

I thought he also had a day job? Or his partner did as well, maybe not super rich but they were getting by before he started the Patreon. An extra few grand a month gets you a lot of breathing room financially for most people.

Either way, dudes been putting out a webcomic for decades. He's a bit slow with updates, but it looks like has an end goal in sight so I'm not going to begrudge him that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

seaborgium posted:

I thought he also had a day job? Or his partner did as well, maybe not super rich but they were getting by before he started the Patreon. An extra few grand a month gets you a lot of breathing room financially for most people.

Either way, dudes been putting out a webcomic for decades. He's a bit slow with updates, but it looks like has an end goal in sight so I'm not going to begrudge him that.

Possibly, but having a day job is not "living on" your Patreon earnings.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Considering that the webcomic is free, I wouldn't care if he were somehow milking the patreon. Give the dude a check for all the high-quality output he has showered us with.

What's more likely, do you think?
1. Happy ending (with the book being large enough to crush a coffee table when finished)

2. Happy Ending (In the next few pages...somehow)

3. Downer Ending (I mean, it would be the quickest way to wrap it up...)

4. Hilarious Anticlimax (4 clerics? It'll never work...)

5. Sequel Hook (OotS Ends, "Life with Snarly" begins)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Considering that the webcomic is free, I wouldn't care if he were somehow milking the patreon. Give the dude a check for all the high-quality output he has showered us with.

What's more likely, do you think?
1. Happy ending (with the book being large enough to crush a coffee table when finished)

2. Happy Ending (In the next few pages...somehow)

3. Downer Ending (I mean, it would be the quickest way to wrap it up...)

4. Hilarious Anticlimax (4 clerics? It'll never work...)

5. Sequel Hook (OotS Ends, "Life with Snarly" begins)

We already know that the story is going to end happily at least for Elan. That presumes most of the cast is going to make it through.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Except for Belkar, unless the kobold was speaking metaphorically about his death, which is entirely possible now that Belkar has discovered the joys of animal friends.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Randalor posted:

Except for Belkar, unless the kobold was speaking metaphorically about his death, which is entirely possible now that Belkar has discovered the joys of animal friends.

Nah, we've been over this, the kobold made it very clear that Belkar was going to take his last breath, forever. He's going to actually die.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Happy ending for Elan, at least.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

People also speculated that Elan's happy ending was at Girard's Gate but that that may be too lame to actually be the fulfillment of the prophecy. It does seem like Elan would need everyone in his party to live for it to be a happy ending for him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LiterallyATomato posted:

Happy ending for Elan, at least.

Which also implies Haley, roy, and probably durkon and v to at least some extent

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Happy end also has, uh, other meanings

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

The oracle lied, specifically to gently caress with him. The ending will be Belkar tearfully bracing himself for his death, only for the oracle to come by and say “Hah! I can’t believe you fell for it, you kobold stabbing rear end in a top hat!”

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I really need to re-read SoD. I have the physical book.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

People also speculated that Elan's happy ending was at Girard's Gate but that that may be too lame to actually be the fulfillment of the prophecy. It does seem like Elan would need everyone in his party to live for it to be a happy ending for him.

Yeah I agree. It's too lame a dodge. Even though twisting things like that would absolutely be something that is in character for the Oracle.

But it doesn't work as a good narrative beat for the kind of story this is.

That said I think Elan would be consolable with some people dying if the circumstances were right. He'd be sad about it but he could still have a good life and a happy ending afterwards. The one thing the illusion taught him is that the perfect ending where everything he wants happens is unrealistic and is never going to happen. So he probably will have a more mature view of whatever the actual outcome is.

Also seconding that we probably aren't that close to the end. There's definitely more twists coming and a lot of stuff that hasn't paid off yet (but absolutely will given Rich's chops as a writer).

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

AnoHito posted:

The oracle lied, specifically to gently caress with him. The ending will be Belkar tearfully bracing himself for his death, only for the oracle to come by and say “Hah! I can’t believe you fell for it, you kobold stabbing rear end in a top hat!”

Only Roy and possibly Haley know about Belkar's prophesied death. Belkar didn't know anything about it because he only knows his "do I get to kill any of these people" prophecy due to the memory charm.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Gnoman posted:

Only Roy and possibly Haley know about Belkar's prophesied death. Belkar didn't know anything about it because he only knows his "do I get to kill any of these people" prophecy due to the memory charm.

Roy told everyone about it in the tomb, when he threatened to fulfill the prophecy himself.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

AnoHito posted:

I'm pretty sure that particular prophecy was made to Roy, not Belkar.

Yep, https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html.

While I don't think it's beyond the oracle to lie if it suits his purposes, I don't think he's doing it here.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lucas Archer posted:

I'm pretty sure that particular prophecy was made to Roy, not Belkar.

Yep, https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html.

While I don't think it's beyond the oracle to lie if it suits his purposes, I don't think he's doing it here.

It would be incredibly lame.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

sebmojo posted:

It would be incredibly lame.

Absolutely.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Then he probably goes out like a boss and ends up chilling with Shojo in the afterlife and refusing all calls after the initial "Why would I want to go back? They have a fully stocked kitchen and pantry here! They even have nutmeg! Do you have any idea how hard it is to get good nutmeg?" free call.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"Smoking cigars rolled from poorly worded legal documents" is such an incredible line

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Which also implies Haley, roy, and probably durkon and v to at least some extent

I've got a suspicion that V isn't escaping the story unscathed. Like the fiends save the last yoink and years later hit V with it at some emotionally devastating moment. They did a genocide and even if V goes around helping dragons for the rest of their life, the narrative calls for more consequences than the spouse running off with the kids. The hole has been dug, V's working their way out, but some kind of kick to go, "This hole was dug a lot deeper than that."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Random Stranger posted:

I've got a suspicion that V isn't escaping the story unscathed. Like the fiends save the last yoink and years later hit V with it at some emotionally devastating moment. They did a genocide and even if V goes around helping dragons for the rest of their life, the narrative calls for more consequences than the spouse running off with the kids. The hole has been dug, V's working their way out, but some kind of kick to go, "This hole was dug a lot deeper than that."

Yeah. Also I think durkon could die since he would die very happy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't see Durkon dying because he already did and I'm pretty sure "being a good parent to his kid" is something he's going to be all in for. He was okay dying before because he thought it meant he would get un-exiled but now he's got family.

V is abso-loving-lutely screwed though, it's just a case of how bad.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The Oracle is kind of a dick, but flat-out lying seems out of character.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm real curious where V ends up in the grand cosmic accounting, assuming they will be party to stopping the Snarl. I have no idea how you measure "did a genocide on a whim" against "broke the infinite apocalypse cycle." Like that sounds like one of those stupid math problems where you have to reference two oppositely aligned infinite measures against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm real curious where V ends up in the grand cosmic accounting, assuming they will be party to stopping the Snarl. I have no idea how you measure "did a genocide on a whim" against "broke the infinite apocalypse cycle." Like that sounds like one of those stupid math problems where you have to reference two oppositely aligned infinite measures against each other.

They could just be given the celestial equivalent of house arrest.