Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Maybe not for Rift mode, the carrier being able to zip across the swamp near-instantly would probably be too strong.

Anything to complete a rift match quicker is a good change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Rift is actually the only fun non-Mayhem PvP mode

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Did the PC Gamer interview with Joe from ~9 days ago get posted? He confirmed that Year 7 will bring 2 dungeons but they have 'not talked about a reprised raid'

They're going to nerf Well "before The Final Shape raid."

EDIT: well to be more accurate they said "the time for everyone feeling like they have to run [Well] is over'. We know that we have to make some changes before The Final Shape raid"

That might mean something more like Rhulk, Caretaker, and Crota where 1x Well is not as meaningful .... and 2-3x Wells is even more important :laugh:

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 7, 2023

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They should make Well have like 10 Hp and can break from any mook shooting at it

Edit: Or it gives, like, Restoration x1

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 8, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Remember when Well gave you a chunky overshield and super fast restoration? Pepperidge Farm remembers. :smith:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

They can nerf Well when the boss fight isn't, "you have 30 seconds to apply as much damage as possible while standing on this plate and the boss is slamming you with attacks at the same time."

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Crota is the prototype but now crews just bring even more Warlocks.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
this week's update confirms: immaru is an edgelord and mithrax is dying and gonna get rezzed as a guardian (based on my imagination)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do you guys think the Eververse sold the Hive all those shells or

Also I just finished the Witch Queen campaign (I know) and lmao that the Witness' Great Big Trick was "We will tell the smartest one to look down, and not up. Also, nobody else will think to look up instead of down."

"Wow, that worked."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you guys think the Eververse sold the Hive all those shells or

Also I just finished the Witch Queen campaign (I know) and lmao that the Witness' Great Big Trick was "We will tell the smartest one to look down, and not up. Also, nobody else will think to look up instead of down."

"Wow, that worked."

Hive confirmed to be gamers

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

^burtle posted:

Crota is the prototype but now crews just bring even more Warlocks.

crotatype

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

well causes a shitload of problems and without adding in a bunch of arbitrary restrictions or reworking it entirely it will continue to cause problems

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
Remove Well and bring back self res.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

rework well into an ability spam super imo, guardians make their own fate style. suddenly it's not completely necessary at all times anymore, just nice to have.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kith posted:

well causes a shitload of problems and without adding in a bunch of arbitrary restrictions or reworking it entirely it will continue to cause problems

I feel like it’s kind of too late, some areas of the game have been designed around Well (the aforementioned “DPS has to be done from this specific spot while the boss continues to attack you” stuff) and removing it would be a worse experience than what we have now unless Bungie wants to redo like ten raid encounters.

I always thought the most elegant solution for discouraging Well would be bosses like Rhulk who zip around the arena actively loving you up but Bungie just hasn’t really gone back to that for some reason. Nezarec is kind of like that but his brain short circuits if everyone stands on a platform for some reason

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bungie's AI systems tend to choke on anything more complex than a perfectly flat arena (see: nezarec, crota, tormentors), so they're disinclined to do roaming bosses for that reason. it's much easier to have a boss effectively be a setpiece that shoots at you because then you don't have to worry about potentially infinite angles of attack and the possibility of players cheesing the encounter with This One Weird Trick, instead you can design around the boss being in exactly one spot at all times and therefore create the exact number of intended safe zones instead of having to worry about teams avoiding damage by standing on a slightly elevated piece of terrain or behind a crate that was supposed to be set dressing but turned out to be the perfect cover

also adjusting boss encounters to compensate for the lack of well is very simple: reduce all raid boss health by about 20%. ez

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I still feel like they aren't even trying to make well not dominant through encounter design given every boss is just:

IllusionistTrixie posted:

"you have 30 seconds to apply as much damage as possible while standing on this plate and the boss is slamming you with attacks at the same time."

Like Spire of the Watcher and Ghosts of the Deep are both particularly egregious with bosses that will absolutely rip into during damage.

Like have they considered making bosses where standing still for more then 3 seconds just simply isn't an option at all? I mean, they have because the one boss in Garden exists, and while people use Well for it, it's not like it's make or break.

e: Like, how about a boss that teleports around, or creates changing cover for themselves in a way that you pretty much constantly need to be moving and repositioning? Or literally make it like an FF14 boss where you are basically constantly dancing to avoid big kill-style AOEs, or a mechanic that forces everyone to stand apart? (Golgorth's thing but EVERYONE gets it)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 8, 2023

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

IMO it's hard to do a lot of environmental hazards during boss fights in Destiny compared to traditional MMOs because of the perspective - you can't see 75% of your surroundings without using certain weapons or limited abilities. You can work around this in encounter design, but ultimately Destiny 2 is just as much about aiming your gun as where you stand, so they trade some of the complexity of "where to stand" for the "where to aim"/"stay on target" bits.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

a mechanic that forces everyone to stand apart?

Scourge of the Past had this, it forced you to divide into 3 teams during DPS

Teams just brought 3 wells

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
What if they have boss fights where the pattern isn't 3-5 minutes of puzzles for 30 seconds of damage?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Rhulk was supposed to hard counter Divinity and Well, and people responded to that by tricking his AI by walking in a circle around him.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

Scourge of the Past had this, it forced you to divide into 3 teams during DPS

Teams just brought 3 wells
Sounds like you need to make players divide up more. Or just accept that people are going to use well so long as you let them stand mostly still.

Like, I think the important caveat is: Do teams feel like they NEED to do this? Was 3 wells for Scourge something that people were setting up their teams with? Or is it just that warlocks present are happy to swap to solar well because it just makes sense, in the same way that nearly no one is going to use a roaming super against the majority of raid bosses?

For all the "Well is too important!" and "people just bring 3 wells" stuff I see....half the time im in groups where we go "how may warlocks do we have? 1? Guess we'll make do." and it goes fine. As a warlock main, I'm not even that begrudged to swap to well for bosses because it just makes sense.

e: Like, lol if well meta is replaced by rifts and healing grenades.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Go back to the Leviathan style of raids where it's nothing but dog bottoms*

*do not do this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The easy way to fix well is to remove Warlocks (and Titans) from the game. Real talk, banner of war is actually a good prototype of how a “fixed” well could work (pulses of healing so spikes of damage / big hits could still hurt and/or kill)

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Remove well and bring back the build that gives everyone insane grenade regen.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

You did not need or do three wells for Scourge. During DPS Insurrection Prime is stunned and not doing anything of note anyway, so the only real danger comes from potential Vandals still sniping you from one of the buildings. A lot of Scourge runs would have a bubble in the back that people just dipped into when they repositioned for ACP.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The easy way to fix well is to remove Warlocks (and Titans) from the game. Real talk, banner of war is actually a good prototype of how a “fixed” well could work (pulses of healing so spikes of damage / big hits could still hurt and/or kill)
How is that a fix? It just means the boss meta is more miserable as you'll just randomly get gibbed while trying to do your 20 seconds of allotted dps.

Like it honestly feels like they're trying to solve the well meta by going "well what if the boss was was MORE dangerous" that kind of only reinforces it further?!

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Infected posted:

You did not need or do three wells for Scourge. During DPS Insurrection Prime is stunned and not doing anything of note anyway, so the only real danger comes from potential Vandals still sniping you from one of the buildings. A lot of Scourge runs would have a bubble in the back that people just dipped into when they repositioned for ACP.

You mean CAP.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Understandable typo.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Seasonal challenge says "Get rapid kills in Season of the Witch activities"; does not actually progress in Season of the Witch activities (which another challenge for that week defines as Savathun's Spire and Altars of Summoning), but rather in Crucible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Got another one

-Banned from playing all Bungie games
-A total of $500K in damages for two counts of copyright infringement and a very large number of ban evasions which also count as copyright infringements somehow
-Stay 1000 feet from Bungie offices and employees and stop sending them threats
-No talking about any of this on social media

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

God, imagine being pathetic enough that not only do you cheat an online game, but you ban-evade multiple times and then start to send death threats to employees because you're presumably mad about being caught.

I couldn't imagine not just moving on after the first ban, much less the many subsequent ones.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
No Bungie community drama will ever be as delicious as Bakengangsta turning out to be a hacker the whole time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I had to play a bunch of Iron Banner to get to rank 10 so I could get the Strand Fusion Rifle. Extended PvP sessions in this game are such a completely miserable experience, I really hope Bungie is being truthful when they say they're gonna make PvP just for people who want to play it, but I doubt they'll go as far as stop making PvP-exclusive guns.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
The game is full of dumb bad stuff you don't want to do but probably have to do anyways for far longer than you want to for some tangible goal. It sucks, everyone knows. Everyone on every side of the PvE/PvP/PvEvP divide. My goondolences.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

but what if it didnt suck

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
god please

just give me an absolteuyl over abuncande of guns with 4 perk choices in ewach clot and let me switch the masterwork for 5 enhancement cores however many time i want

once a gun if unlocked you can just use any enghram you have to make that gun

life_source
May 11, 2008

never give me a sub 62 roll of armour give me more guins

never make me go into the strike [playlist ever never make my go into dares again never make me spend 30 minutes doing sorrows or blind well just give me those guns

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In an ideal Destiny you could convert a gun at pinnacle level into a doohickey of light to save vault space. You could also save vault space by making Banshee's weekly reward an umbral bobbin that lets you pull a random roll gun from collections, which you could then infuse with said doohickey, also massively taking the strain off the vault system.

This ideal Destiny would also explode after 10 minutes as the spaghetti code unravels completely under the strain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

So it's gonna take 20 clears of Crota's End to get the exotic, one account-based attempt per week -- besides the very tiny% for extra progress on other encounters?

This is the part of the year where my schedule constricts, so I'm already thinking "cool I'm looking forward to trying out the raid in three weeks when I get the chance," but knowing that I won't get the exotic until next summer has dampened my interest.

I know that people have Raid Random Drop Never Drops Horror Stories, but on the other end of things, "I could get the exotic from THIS run" is a motivator that actually gets me to boot up the game.