Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

What does one have to do to qualify as a cryptocurrency miner in the state of Texas? Could an unscrupulous person just buy a bunch of cheap/junked mining hardware and string it up to piss away power just to get the state of Texas to pay them to stop? How do they determine the payment?

I can't get away from this, so I looked into it.

According to that article, Texas paid them $31.7mil in credits for not operating during some period of time when they would have created 333 bitcoin, worth $8.9mil.

ERCOT winds up being an interesting study here, since the state of Texas is completely disconnected from the rest of the power grid. This means that they can't just sell excess capacity to other states that need it: if there's no customer in Texas, they're hosed. Conversely, if Texas gets rolling blackouts, people in New Mexico are hosed.

It sounds an awful lot like, in fact, electrical generation in excess of demand is a problem, and these bitcoin mines are helping to solve it by providing something that wastes electricity and nobody needs to continue operating. I guess it's not unlike excess natural gas being burned off at the source. It sounds to me like a crappy, inefficient system, but given I work with very smart people who spend their entire careers trying to fix stuff like this, I'm willing to accept that I just don't understand the problem well enough. I mean, I may be right about it being crappy. But the fix may not be straightforward at all.

However, it also seems like on-grid storage would be a smarter way to deal with such things. It's probably more expensive to build, and has yet to really exist in sufficient scale for this type of problem, and also "not wasting resources" is probably anathema to a lot of Texas politicians, but eventually I imagine we'll see the economics start to play out. Like, what if ERCOT could keep that $8.9mil and we can avoid rolling blackouts?

In the meantime, I hate to say it, but it kind of looks like Riot (the mining company) found a tenuous way to make a little bit of money on the situation. They are able to provide an electrical load that pays money to ERCOT, but they can turn it off whenever, no big deal. ERCOT is using this as a buffer against the very real problem of excess (or insufficient) grid capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ERCOT not being connected to the rest of America’s grid is a completely insane situation that we only accept out of inertia. The reasoning behind it is the most baby-brained ideology poisoning imaginable and it’s so obviously destructive to Texas and its neighbors.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Didn't ERCOT used to be connected to the Eastern Interconnect but dropped because they'd have to follow some regulations, and Texas governors are assholes?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

ERCOT has about a GW of tie to outside interconnects. (US east and mexico)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zachack posted:

The use case I came up with, and which could be completely wrong, is for a database that needs to have some level of robustness, has a certain level of demand but not too much, and for whatever reason the intermediary can't form or be sustained. The idea that came to mind (and granted this could be solved already) is veterinary records. The various offices are all independent and don't communicate with each other digitally (at least not easily), customers will want their records to be transferrable, digital, and secure from tampering at some point, but the various offices are unwilling to pay a 3rd party and the "value" of animal records is too low for government to get involved. A given vet is assumed to be trustworthy at entering data for a specific pet, and the records aren't(?) considered to be privacy concerns such that having all that data wandering around isn't too much of a negative.
Dog EDI would end up strictly cheaper and integrated easier into the current state of the art, faxing records on demand. And is incidentally where medical records started even with HIPAA requirements.

Oregonian horse veterinarian Dr Rod Johnson does not need even the adjacency to data of that of the office of Dr Purse Doggington's New York tea cup practice yet for Dr. Johnson to check the size of a horses dick he would need to algorithmically sign off on Dr Doggington's grooming records.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
As far as I can tell Mister Beast is a youtube human whom exists in a perpetual cycle of spending ridiculous amounts of money to make a video that then has to get enough views to give him more money. Also selling mid tier chocolate bars.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Boxturret posted:

As far as I can tell Mister Beast is a youtube human whom exists in a perpetual cycle of spending ridiculous amounts of money to make a video that then has to get enough views to give him more money. Also selling mid tier chocolate bars.

And low-tier smashburgers.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I lost all possible respect for MisterBeast when he started complaining that his job of taking money from subscribers and giving it away to people was affecting his mental health. Motherfucker you literally get paid millions of dollars to do performative good deeds on camera while working for yourself

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I Opened A Bitcoin Exchange That Pays You To Take the Bitcoins

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mr Beast is also the guy who did a knock-off of Squid Game for a fraction of the price and boasted about how indies do it cheaper or some such dumb bullshit, while completely glossing over that every single idea he used in the whole mess was straight up stolen from someone else.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Neito posted:

He's now suing the ghost kitchen company that made those because they won't let him out of his contract and he says the burgers were inedible and damaged his brand. And the company is suing him for $100 million because they say his disparaging remarks damaged their brand. LOL

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is mrbeast'a background like 99% of all other internet supa stars and he's a rich family's kid and therefore became a supa star by brute forcing the first few years of posting content untill DA ALGO was like "oh hey youve been posting for years and also have high production values(also you might have networked with the right people), here's da views"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

MechaCrash posted:

Mr Beast is also the guy who did a knock-off of Squid Game for a fraction of the price and boasted about how indies do it cheaper or some such dumb bullshit, while completely glossing over that every single idea he used in the whole mess was straight up stolen from someone else.

The part I love about that is the squibs they used for the red light green light part, one: shot out yellow liquid for some reason, and two: didn't work because they got some youtube techguy to make like 200 remote activated squibs in a week with no budget so they just kind of smoked a bit and dribbled.

Yeah suck it proper television show with characters and writing and effects, look how much cheaper we did it!

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

is mrbeast'a background like 99% of all other internet supa stars and he's a rich family's kid and therefore became a supa star by brute forcing the first few years of posting content untill DA ALGO was like "oh hey youve been posting for years and also have high production values(also you might have networked with the right people), here's da views"

Yes

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mr Beast sprung forth fully grown, a prodigy with the sign of a red diamond creator award emblazoned across his butt cheeks, straight from the head of Larry Page.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Last time I was in 7-11, there was a big cardboard standup promoting a Mr. Beast endorsed something or other. I can’t even remember what the actual product was. Candy bar? Energy drink? Freeze-dried sandwich? All I remember is that this goony-looking motherfucker finally got enough pull to obstruct the main aisle at 7-11.

But then, 7-11 will display limited-time promotions for just about any damned thing. I’m surprised Trojan has never talked them into flavored condoms for Valentine’s Day or something.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Faruk Özer, founder of collapsed crypto exchange Thodex, has been sentenced to 11,190 years in prison by a turkish court.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66752785.amp

Is that how long it'll take for the final block to be confirmed on the blockchain?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
At kroger today they had some Mr Beast branded chocolate bars on discount, $1.30 for a whole chocolate bar, but they were all broken and tbh I don't want ANY of my money going to that piece of poo poo so nope, LOL.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

At kroger today they had some Mr Beast branded chocolate bars on discount, $1.30 for a whole chocolate bar, but they were all broken and tbh I don't want ANY of my money going to that piece of poo poo so nope, LOL.

Oh, that's a whole story in and of itself.

He basically begged his fans to go to stores and front the shelves that had his chocolate on it themselves, basically free labor for the YouTube godking, and then a bunch of his fans got lovely when people pointed at that "Go to your local market and perform free labor for me" was a kinda lovely ask.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Neito posted:

He doesn't sell the smashburgers, he sells his brand to an online company that ghost kitchens the smashburgers and delivers through DoorDash. The closest "BeastBurger" to me is actually a Ruby Tuesday.

So if I wanted a "BeastBurger" I would place an order, then they would order DoorDash to get a burger from Ruby Tuesday to send to me.

Or I could, you know, go to Ruby Tuesday, or go to DoorDash and say "Hey, could you deliver a burger from Ruby Tuesday to me?" and cut out the BeastBurger part of the equation.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 8, 2023

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Thanks to my Movies and video games curated YouTube I manage to not have any strong feelings about Mr. Beast at all.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CannonFodder posted:

He doesn't sell the smashburgers, he sells his brand to an online company that ghost kitchens the smashburgers and delivers through DoorDash. The closest "BeastBurger" to me is actually a Ruby Tuesday.

So if I wanted a "BeastBurger" I would place an order, then they would order DoorDash to get a burger from Ruby Tuesday to send to me.

Or I could, you know, go to Ruby Tuesday, or go to DoorDash and say "Hey, could you deliver a burger from Ruby Tuesday to me?" and cut out the BeastBurger part of the equation.

I was blissfully ignorant of him and saw the burger pop up on some food app at one point a while back. I just figured it was some new burger place. Beast = meat eater = smash burger/five guys type knock-off, beast mode, ordering animal style at in-n-out, etc. Six beers deep on a friday and needing food driven to my house it made some intuitive sense.

Holy poo poo that was a bad burger. The fries were worse. It was a bit over priced but I figured it was basically going to be one of the local kind-overpriced-but-decent burger places that have been springing up around me to try and edge in on five guy's territory. Like, we've got a bunch of them, usually they have a kinda lovely bar attached.

But goddam. Should have ordered loving McDonalds. gently caress, should have just wandered over to the kitchen and eaten a sleeve of saltines and a bunch of peanut butter. (I'm pretty sure the ghost kitchen they were using is a really mediocre Italian chain place)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i've said it before but the only mr beast on youtube i care about drank 20-year-old crystal pepsi and promptly regurgitated it on camera

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
la beast is the superior beast

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Mr. Bean >>>>> Mr. Beast

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Mr. Bean >>>>> Mr. Beast

did just as much good for humanity in only 6 episodes

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I once made a coworker throw up on the floor by showing him the la beast video where he runs a pizza through a paper shredder to liquify it then blows it through a tube with a leaf blower into his gullet

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Squiggle posted:

I once made a coworker throw up on the floor by showing him the la beast video where he runs a pizza through a paper shredder to liquify it then blows it through a tube with a leaf blower into his gullet

I regularly horrify coworkers and the like by showing then the video of LA Beast making some “hot ice” and giving himself a chemical burn shoving his hands in it

I work in a chemistry lab for context, and chemists either laugh very, very hard before the big moment even happens or are horrified the entire time

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Nothing will eclipse him drinking 3 gallons of olive oil

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nexous posted:

This kind of poo poo shouldn't be legal to monetize. It's just promoting self-harm.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Neito posted:

He basically begged his fans to go to stores and front the shelves that had his chocolate on it themselves, basically free labor for the YouTube godking, and then a bunch of his fans got lovely when people pointed at that "Go to your local market and perform free labor for me" was a kinda lovely ask.

Ah, the BrewDog gambit. I'm surprised they haven't collaborated with Mr. Beast on a beer, they're practically made for each other.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

nexous posted:

What the gently caress? How is this person not dead

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

onesixtwo posted:

What the gently caress? How is this person not dead

I apologize it was 3 liters

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ttC7KbE_uDo

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Zachack posted:

The use case I came up with, and which could be completely wrong, is for a database that needs to have some level of robustness, has a certain level of demand but not too much, and for whatever reason the intermediary can't form or be sustained. The idea that came to mind (and granted this could be solved already) is veterinary records. The various offices are all independent and don't communicate with each other digitally (at least not easily), customers will want their records to be transferrable, digital, and secure from tampering at some point, but the various offices are unwilling to pay a 3rd party and the "value" of animal records is too low for government to get involved. A given vet is assumed to be trustworthy at entering data for a specific pet, and the records aren't(?) considered to be privacy concerns such that having all that data wandering around isn't too much of a negative.

That's not even a compelling use case. The challenge with a solution for something like vet records isn't that we just can't figure out a technological way for vets to share their records reliably. That's such a trivial aspect of the solution implementation that its barely even worth mentioning.

The challenge is that vets don't want to share their records freely; because as long as they're holding your pets data, you're more likely to continue using them as your vet. And because sharing records necessarily involves extra costs -- even on the mythical magical blockchain -- and vets don't want to take on those costs when its not a pressing need. It is not, and has never been, that vets are all sitting around helpless and wanting because nobody's created a way them to transfer data yet.

Suggesting a blockchain as a solution to the problem is either: 1) completely failing to understand what the problem is, or 2) because someone has an interest in selling blockchain technology.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 8, 2023

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Neito posted:

Hey kids, it's me! Your favorite youtuber who makes those videos where I give away expensive cars or pay for people's surgery. I'm probably always looking for people to ambush with flashy gifts for my videos, don't you think?

On an unrelated note, anyone of you want to do me a solid? Just perform some unpaid child labor for my branded products, no biggie. That would make me so happy if you could do that, I would be so grateful! If you post a pic of the fruits of your labor I'll even know the names of those of you who helped out the most!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
The video of him drinking an entire liter of everclear and then running straight into the fridge in his garage and passing out was great. I would have been legitimately worried if it wasn’t obvious he was fine afterwards since he uploaded the video.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

shame on an IGA posted:

Faruk Özer, founder of collapsed crypto exchange Thodex, has been sentenced to 11,190 years in prison by a turkish court.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66752785.amp

Frauding so hard even his ghost has to do time.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

HJE-Cobra posted:

Hey now, Paw Patrol makes total sense why so many kids love it. Cute talking puppies in costumes, driving chonky emergency vehicles? And then saving the day in fun heroics? That's like, several things that kids love, rolled into one. Sometimes they're even superhero puppies. Whoever designed Paw Patrol was smart.

Conversely, Mr Beast makes no sense

Paw Patrol is a cryptofascist pseudo-military operation with no observable source of funding but an unlimited budget and no governmental oversight. Ryder, its leader, was never elected and forces his will on the citizens of Adventure Bay while simultaneously pushing propaganda about how, if you’re in trouble, the police (Chase) are the only ones who can help you. Thus leading the entire populace to become complacent and unable to fend for themselves when anything bad happens. They regularly use untested technology designed by a child far beyond the capabilities of other citizens without a care in the world that, say, Sky’s rocket pack could explode at any second, incinerating her and any other hapless folks who are nearby. Mayor Goodway regularly uses them for her own personal needs, such as finding her lost chicken, and while Mayor Humdinger’s main goal is the elimination of the repressive regime he is presented as the villain.

In other words, they’d be right at home with bitcoiners.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

JammyB posted:

Frauding so hard even his ghost has to do time.

"This prison is haunted!"

"You bet it is! This guy's got another thousand years on his sentence, weren't not letting him go until then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Boxturret posted:

"This prison is haunted!"

"You bet it is! This guy's got another thousand years on his sentence, weren't not letting him go until then."

the ghost is telling me that it's got billions of dollars of bitcoin buried somewhere. it hid everything when the government tried to steal it, and then it died in prison. but the only person who knows where it is, is in calais... you have to remove me from my cell and smuggle me into france so i can receive his knowledge, and then you can have all the treasure