Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

What could he be doing with RAM, a VGA cable and a soldering iron? :confused:

The RAM and VGA cable make sense since he's rebuilding an older computer he had laying around to hack into the bird robots. The soldering iron is a bit less clear though. My best guess is that he's missing the proper adapters to connect the bird directly to a PC that old so he's running wires from the bird robot to an intermediary circuit board of some kind which is in turn being jerry-rigged onto the motherboard.

(Yeah... that's plausible enough to make it seem like I know what I'm talking about...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tiggum posted:

Is it? I don't get it. :shrug:

That was my “joke”.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tiggum posted:

What could he be doing with RAM, a VGA cable and a soldering iron? :confused:

The kind of mad science that would make even the most insane vintage tech restoration YouTuber go "alright, mate, tone it down a bit".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Why are you still here, Savarna

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Interestingly enough, that's actually what Babudan's been saying the last month or so

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

It suddenly occurs to me, though it really shouldn't be a surprise, how we've never seen any indication of Michael being into media stuff enough to study it at college, because his entire identity in the comic is "untidy annoyer of sisters".

See now this is a good long-term storyarc but I'm expecting the Crabgrass analogue of Leatherface to step out from the TV and get involved any second now.

I wonder if IRL Michael actually reread the entire comic and realized the same thing about Comics Michael? It's got to be depressing to realize how little your mom seems to care about your needs and interests until she had to write Comics-You being away from the family.

And yeah, I'm liking this Crabgrass arc too but the pacing's starting to sag again.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What, you think Babudan by himself can save Phantom from his own stupidity?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mary Worth '98

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 01, 1959)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(November 11, 1917)

Little Nemo(April 7, 1907)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Wait, is THAT how we're ending this? Six weeks of buildup and espionage and a billion characters no one loving understands and it just ends with "old cat beats up bad guy off camera"

Georgia, this is not your strong point.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

Lmao these sex noises. It reads like it’s coming off a staged recording.

Oh, Marsha

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I like the skeleton kid's design in Blind Alley. Also the vampire girl's. Just wanted to post that~

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Scareodeleria (Nov. 8, 2003)

So this concludes this brief foray into Scareodelria, as well as all the comics Allison drew for it in 2003. There's not really much to say about it, as it existed as a way for Allison to practice his pen and paper drawing skills while he was doing Scary-Go-Round in Illustrator. Allison later did a short, 30 page comic that he also called Scareodelria, it would later be used for a Scary-Go-Round story, The Big Broadcast.

Also here is the cover to the next Steeple story, Maggie's Party, which starts next Monday.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love a good "both parties know about the other's dumb hang ups" bit
these are the crabgrass stories i crave

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Classic Nancy

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

readingatwork posted:

The writing is pretty weak but I absolutely love the inking work on Out Our Way. The amount of patience it must have taken to get the crosshatching patterns just right on everything is amazing to think about.

If you took one of the early mail-order cartooning courses, like Williams apparently did, getting your crosshatching lines uniform is one of the things they put you on right out of the gate. Your target is UNIFORM SPACING in your parallel lines. That was in ALL CAPS on the instruction sheet, because the goal was to make artwork that reproduced well on good, bad or indifferent high-speed printing presses. It was considered a foundational skill.

That's from the Charles Landon course, made and marketed by the guy who also happened to run the cartooning part of Williams' syndicate, so basically Landon was making his own recruiting pool. The W.L. Evans course (the one that Popeye's creator Elzie Segar took) is a little bit looser, but Evans had a few extra tricks up his sleeve.

The end results have a beautiful element of control to them.

Which is why I flinch when I see Dan Davis throw down something like this.

Anyway, let's get back to the finished product. Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 17, 1935)

Peanuts (September 10, 1935)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 12, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way, featuring the World's Greatest Uncle. (October 5-7, 1942)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 8, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Is this (another?) "We taped ourselves having sex, now we lost the tape" jokes from A&J?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CzarChasm posted:

Is this (another?) "We taped ourselves having sex, now we lost the tape" jokes from A&J?

Yes. I was halfway through Out Our Way when my brain figured that out.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

CzarChasm posted:

The gently caress do you mean another?!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The gently caress do you mean another?!

It's really more of a continuing bit.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I did lol at that third panel of A+J

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

readingatwork posted:

Peanuts Through the Ages (Apr 16-21, 1967)

I wonder how many people are out there who were born on that exact day in 1967 and have had this strip hanging on their wall for their entire lives.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

I smirked but I have to wonder what percent of readers know what JaiAlai is (or as it used to say on the side of the building in Newport, HI-LI)

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

:perfect:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

she's got you there dez

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "250 - Jucika As A Babysitter"

"251 - Jucika In The House Of Culture"

"Művészbejáró means Stage Door"

"It appears that she's the dialogue coach. Back then during plays there were these large hubs built at the front of the stage where someone from production would read the lines from or display them in-case one of the performers forgot their lines."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Hey, remember dogfighting? That sure was something!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Rene was always just a goofy con man to me, not a 'kidnap a guy and throw him in the trunk' type. Even when he tried to push Hank Jr off the boat it was more campy than threatening.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Refresh my memory - how long has it been now since the one strip where Gil asks his wife if she's in love with another woman, never to be followed up on?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
why is rene bothering with fatty anymore if he's got the money guy in the trunk

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rene never met a bad idea he couldn't double down on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol they got married and don't even live together. I'm sure this will go well

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
What the gently caress Rene

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Endless Mike posted:

lol they got married and don't even live together. I'm sure this will go well

It's not like they have a lot of time to test this out.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Give him a haymaker, Mud!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Transmodiar posted:

Refresh my memory - how long has it been now since the one strip where Gil asks his wife if she's in love with another woman, never to be followed up on?
August 13th. And now that you've reminded me I'm pretty damned curious what's going on there too; Gil Thorp has somehow got exactly the opposite pacing issues of every other newspaper comic combined in that things happen so fast we sometimes don't even see them onscreen. The closest thing I THINK we have to a maybe-followup is whatever's going on with the last strip posted on August 30, which maybe shows Gil mentioning to ?his daughter? that ?her mother? is never home. I think. Maybe. Possibly.

GIL THORP LORE.