Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The snowmen suggests there's some sort of dynamic props system so it may be possible to add something like what SC4 did even if it's not in the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
Buglord

Count Roland posted:

I was going to ask earlier, mostly seriously, if the opioid crisis and homelessness would be featured in the game before deciding it was in poor taste.

But not all cities are shining. I want bad areas to be possible.
I think it would make for some interesting progression where you’re having to go back to your earlier, more neglected areas and bring them back up to speed and get the chalk outlines cleaned up and trees free of toilet paper.

I wonder if anyone made a rough-neighborhoods building pack in CS1.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is CS2 coming to Switch (for better or worse, I know).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

buglord posted:

I've seen some hosed up buildings in the workshop, I'm not sure there's a collection for it but you can definitely build a run down area. And there's plenty of prop trash and road damage decals and whatnot to decorate it.

E: Right on the featured section of the workshop today, in fact. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3025581970

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Count Roland posted:

I was going to ask earlier, mostly seriously, if the opioid crisis and homelessness would be featured in the game before deciding it was in poor taste.

But not all cities are shining. I want bad areas to be possible.

I was thinking about that, I can picture the Onion headline "new city building game allows players to be grossly negligent in state responsibility" or something

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

buglord posted:

I think it would make for some interesting progression where you’re having to go back to your earlier, more neglected areas and bring them back up to speed and get the chalk outlines cleaned up and trees free of toilet paper.

I made trailer home neighborhoods out in the boonies and in the unwanted/undesirable spaces of my city.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
Buglord
Paradox also publishes games where you can expand borders of the Third Reich and/or be a facist economic powerhouse with slavery laws so I think low income American neighborhoods are a little more mild than that.

Although funnily enough I didn’t know you could have Cims trapped in rubble in CS1. That’s legitimately horrifying to me in a game that has chirper.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't really make a difference, you're just building the same thing over and over again, or building the same thing but spread over several regions. It doesn't really change the game any except that you get the zoomed out map view to be full eventually.

Also if you want construction simulator I would recommend workers and resources soviet republic :v:

Which yes makes you extremely averse to renovating or disrupting existing infrastructure because jesus christ is the disruption it causes a nightmare.

What, no. The region play makes a huge difference. RCI demand is drawn regionally, so the kinds of cities you can build change completely as you progress over the region play. High tech / density only start to become regularly viable once you have a bunch of cities to draw on.

Going back to older cities to update them can be kind of a pain in the rear end though, agreed, but hey it's a game from 2004. It kinda incentivizes you to push forward to the next city, only this time since you're starting over you know you can make it better / wealthier / add all the good ideas you had along the way etc. If you're planning on having a region that's your baby for 10 years or something okay it's not well suited to it, but in normal gameplay that's not that much of an issue. Not like ultra-scale cities work especially well in other citybuilders either, really.

Definitely not planning on letting this thread slide into "SC4 is overrated" as the consensus here. I can definitely see how parts of Skylines appeal more, especially to certain kinds of players, and for 2 there's a lot that I'm hyped for and I could even see it potentially usurping the crown given time. But SC4 is a great game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

None of the stuff you do in sim city 4 is different, there's no significant variety in the gameplay, you just plonk down services and zone crap in grids.

That eventually you might get big buildings if you do that a lot isn't really saying much.

CS1 relies rather too much on zoning crap as well, but at least you can think a bit about how you design your roads and you can make interesting parks and things with the DLC.

Fundamentally I don't think that zoning based city builders are capable of being engaging, they need something else to make them interesting, something that requires a bit of thought. Agent based traffic sims work, I think workers and resources works with its emphasis on planning around construction and shipping stuff about the place. I am hopeful that CS2 might at least offer a wider variety of types of space you might want to build, retain the emphasis on traffic management and infrastructure, and I hope also have some light elements of resource exploitation and building support settlements for that.

I expect in time it might also offer the same approach as can be taken with CS1 now, allowing far finer control over what places look like, making just the aesthetics a selling point as well. But that is also something I don't think simcity 4 was ever capable of because it's grid based, it looks alright for its age but there's no creativity there by comparison to what you can do in CS1.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 30, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

OwlFancier posted:

I expect in time it might also offer the same approach as can be taken with CS1 now, allowing far finer control over what places look like, making just the aesthetics a selling point as well. But that is also something I don't think simcity 4 was ever capable of because it's grid based, it looks alright for its age but there's no creativity there by comparison to what you can do in CS1.

People have made all kinds of insane hand crafted cities in SC4

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MikeC posted:

Just curious, I am mainly more in the 'casual city painter' crowd but can you elaborate on what Simcity 4 does better than CS1 / potentially CS2? From a casual's viewpoint (maybe with a bit of haze since I haven't played SC4 in almost a decade), SC4 felt like just making sure traffic didn't go boom and plopping services down to make buildings higher.

So finally going back and answering this. It basically boils down to two things. And let me preface this by cheerfully acknowledging that mine is doubtless the minority opinion. Lots and lots of people love the way Skylines does things.

First, region play. Since it insists on simulating every individual in the city, CS can't get anywhere near the scale of SC4, which is limited only by the power of your computer. It's fuckin' great making entire regions. Your mileage may vary, of course. It's obvious that e.g. OwlFancier plays city sims for completely opposite reasons than I do. But this is the biggest thing for me. Abstracting traffic makes it possible to create a much, much bigger continuous region. Yes, Simcity 4 does it in a very buggy way. But also Simcity 4 was released 20 years ago and rushed out the door.

Second, wealth and density being separate concepts, and the dilapidation mechanic (though its piss-poorly implemented in SC4) making it possible to have grimy, run-down neighborhoods.

Now Simcity 4 is frankly not that good of a game. It was janky as hell when it was brand new and running on Windows XP, and it's a monstrosity now. The UI is loving torture, especially when you have modpacks that had 80 kinds of trees and you have to scrooooooooooooooll your way down a list to them to use them. Someone brought up the education and high tech industry system: it's trivial to game it by just jacking Dirty and Manufacturing industry taxes to 20%, making a little microcity with fully stocked education, let the sim run for a decade, and poof, high tech industry everywhere forever. And obviously it's 100% tied to The Grid, which modders have spent decades trying to kluge their way around if you're willing to spend hours painstakingly placing dummy tiles and poo poo.

But people are still playing this piece of poo poo game today because it has never been improved upon. It has no successor. Cities: Skylines is great at the thing it does, and CS2 will be even better, but really they're only tenuously in the same genre. The game I would play thousands of hours of and happily pay $60+DLCs for, and I'm pretty certain I'm far from alone, is SimCity 4, with a modern UI and capable of utilizing modern computers, with the kind of microprops Skylines offers, without The Grid.

Oh, and bring back the madlib newspapers. They were the best thing about SimCity 2000. Now we have Chirper? Get the gently caress out of here with that bullshit.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 30, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Although funnily enough I didn’t know you could have Cims trapped in rubble in CS1. That’s legitimately horrifying to me in a game that has chirper.

I assume the tone of the chirp is like "I can't believe the building is on me now! lol fml I'm going to die (water my plants)."

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
@BiffaPlaysCitiesSkylines just mentioned in his dev diarie review video that he will have real gameplay on Friday. So I guess that's when the embargo is lifted and all the Youtubers will release their own recorded content.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

lagidnam posted:

@BiffaPlaysCitiesSkylines just mentioned in his dev diarie review video that he will have real gameplay on Friday. So I guess that's when the embargo is lifted and all the Youtubers will release their own recorded content.

I hope that means everything is lifted and they can talk about anything they want. Bunch of stuff I need answers to and Colossal Order has not said a word about.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope that means everything is lifted and they can talk about anything they want. Bunch of stuff I need answers to and Colossal Order has not said a word about.

Yeah the silence on modding and the workshop is deafening :(

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you build too much high tech industry, chirper rebrands to 'Z' and oh whoops we're back in Workers and Resources

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

sitchensis posted:

Yeah the silence on modding and the workshop is deafening :(

I'm not worried about getting rid it or anything, they have said before there's extensive mod support and they know that's kept the game alive. Plus like half the studio now are modders they hired. I've also seen statements from prominent CS1 modders that sound like they have early access to 2 and are already making mods/assets for it. But I want details.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I rode a fancy rear end train today.

Korean SRT.

Train good car bad.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I rode a fancy rear end train today.

Korean SRT.

Train good car bad.

The message was astonishing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If your city looks weird today, for some reason Theme Mixer vanished and a new version is uploaded. Have to subscribe to the new one and presumably redo your whole theme.

E: It keeps your old settings, hooray.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 6, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Playlist of all the Youtubers showing CS2 gameplay tomorrow: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-sOh5H8XXS_wLAZ4FzzJukbdWxGqeebD

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The guy with the Korean name should probably check the embargo times again. It's not 6pm KST :D

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also they aren't going to be allowed to just tell us everything. One of them posted this on reddit: "We have NDAs in place right now and can only build up to a certain size for this first episode, but in the coming weeks we will all be building into higher milestones."

I really don't get why they're being so restrictive with info and NDAs. It's out in two months, they're not adding any more major features at this point. There's not a story to spoil. I don't think it's a conspiracy and the game secretly sucks but I cannot fathom why they're doing it this way.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Build up persistent hype? People might be inclined to check back again to see a different milestone later on if they didn’t get to before, whereas if they saw it all at the start it might not retain interest.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah you don't just drop everything two months before release. Gotta give you a small taste then build up to the next thing etc.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I just assume the marketing strategy isnt directed to people like me, who barely needed a video to decide to buy it.

That said I might watch a little bit of CPP's or Biffa's experience with it but for the most part I don't really care for this style of marketing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm definitely interested in CPP's since he hasn't had an early copy up to this point, so it'll be the newest experience.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The only thing that's going to even slow my decision to buy is how much QoL stuff from the DLCs got removed to be resold in DLCs

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How much QoL stuff was actually in the DLC part of the DLCs, as opposed to the free patches? They were usually pretty good about making sure the QoL improvements went out to everyone and reserved features for the paid content.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

pointlessone posted:

The only thing that's going to even slow my decision to buy is how much QoL stuff from the DLCs got removed to be resold in DLCs

I hate this framing. They didn't remove anything, it's a new game. It's not like they were starting CS2 having all the features of CS1 + a zillion patches and DLCs and then cut stuff out.

The base CS2 has a bunch of QoL stuff from mods as well as features that were DLCs in the first game. They're going to add a whole lot more through DLC for sure. That's not removing.

There's a good amount of stuff that also comes just through patches. I am going to find it difficult to go to an unmodded game, but I suspect/hope vital functionality like Find It or Move It will be made very quickly.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Good point, I actually forgot that they did that.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I know it's different developer but a lot of these decisions get made at publisher level and I remember people being pretty positive about what was cut and what was kept from Crusader Kings 2 -> 3

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
lol watching the City Planner Plays lets play of CS2, but one of the first thing mentioned is they don't have contour view?! Hope that's just something they haven't added yet to the release he had. There's no respecting the topography!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The new road tools really look exceptional, snapping to the edges of stuff, being able to offset different road types, really seems like it would make roads way smoother in look and function. And being able to drop paths connecting into junctions is nice too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh boy I do not like a lot of the stuff CPP is saying. No contour lines, no overlapping foliage, no decals, no props...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Those seem like trivial additions outside of contour lines though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I sure hope so. They feel like the type of complaint that patches might address. Props and decals hopefully exist as concepts in the game so even if there's not a vanilla menu, modding can address those. Or everything will technically be a bush I guess idk.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I watched Let's Game It Out's usual moronic way to play and... meh? Maybe it'll look better with a more thorough look?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Biffa's video is good. You can turn off the white when placing services and stuff without a mod, it functions the same was as the CS1 mod too.

Roads show their grade when building, I wonder if they thought that was a sufficient replacement for contour lines. Still going to hope that's something being added closer to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Again you start with a giant highway interchange and you can't get trains until a few milestones in. And they got rid of contour lines, and you can't even plop trees in a neat row. Wtf is colossal smoking