Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ahundredbux posted:

Not Farming Simulator, not really interested in the big machines and Stardew valley isn't my cup of tea.
Stardew Valley specifically doesn't interest you, or that entire class of Harvest Moon-likes? Because Stardew's success has spawned a bajillion cozy farming games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

Any cool games where you're farming?
Not Farming Simulator, not really interested in the big machines and Stardew valley isn't my cup of tea.

I enjoyed planting stuff in minecraft but I also enjoyed making fields in games like Banished.

SimFarm, if you can figure out how not to crash your crop duster every time you fly it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ahundredbux posted:

I enjoyed planting stuff in minecraft but I also enjoyed making fields in games like Banished.
Project Zomboid. Not a joke post.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Cicero posted:

Stardew Valley specifically doesn't interest you, or that entire class of Harvest Moon-likes? Because Stardew's success has spawned a bajillion cozy farming games.
I've played harvest moon before, started is very good too but it just feels real tedious to me for various reasons.

Hwurmp posted:

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

Looks interesting, would prefer if it wasn't a side-scroller but I might check it out.

It is a weird request I guess, I just like big fields of wheat and stuff

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Farthest Frontier.

Another weird option would be Simcity 4 with the agricultural overhaul mods.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

An Actual Princess posted:

never played any of these so i'll look into all of them. cheers everybody!
One more: Halcyon 6

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010

Ahundredbux posted:

I feel like you'd enjoy Medieval Dynasty. It also has an easily accessible "cheats" menu that you can use to disable features of the game that you don't want. Sometimes it's nice to turn off hunger/thirst/whatever and just vibe in your little village.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cicero posted:

Stardew's success has spawned a bajillion cozy farming games.

Post the best ones that would run on an office laptop?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ahundredbux posted:

Lords of the Realm 2.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Post the best ones that would run on an office laptop?
I'm guessing the 2D pixel art ones would, like Graveyard Keeper, Atomicrops, and Roots of Pacha. In order, those are dark (comedic) fantasy Stardew, action Stardew, and stone age Stardew. Haven't played them myself though, just heard good things. Maybe Fae Farm would work too, it's 3D but it just came out on Switch so it can't be too demanding.

Can also check out this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/1424jxb/im_searching_for_other_games_like_stardew_valley/

Could also go with Story of Seasons (new name for Harvest Moon) or Rune Factory (action JRPG Harvest Moon) but honestly, compared to the western indies, the Japanese titles seem like more money for worse games.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 8, 2023

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cicero posted:

I'm guessing the 2D pixel art ones would, like Graveyard Keeper, Atomicrops, and Roots of Pacha. In order, those are dark (comedic) fantasy Stardew, action Stardew, and stone age Stardew. Haven't played them myself though, just heard good things. Maybe Fae Farm would work too, it's 3D but it just came out on Switch so it can't be too demanding.

Can also check out this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/1424jxb/im_searching_for_other_games_like_stardew_valley/

Could also go with Story of Seasons (new name for Harvest Moon) or Rune Factory (action JRPG Harvest Moon) but honestly, compared to the western indies, the Japanese titles seem like more money for worse games.
Thanks. I beat Graveyard Keeper, some ot the others seem interesting so into the wishlist they go.
Also time to fix my DS and get RF I guess.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 8, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
There's also Farm RPG.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Are there any rpgs, old or new, where the world just moves on despite what your character does? Like instead of accumulating dozens of side quests that can be finished in whatever order, I’d rather have a quest expire/fail because I chose to get distracted by something else.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nachos posted:

Are there any rpgs, old or new, where the world just moves on despite what your character does? Like instead of accumulating dozens of side quests that can be finished in whatever order, I’d rather have a quest expire/fail because I chose to get distracted by something else.

Wizardry 7 if being old and uh... dense isn't an issue. Kenshi if being new and insanely dense isn't an issue. Din's Curse is a Diablo like where that's the entire selling point but I found it otherwise pretty generic and forgettable

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

nachos posted:

There was one that came out where characters can die while you faff around. I think it was on gog, but I can't remember the name

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nachos posted:

Fallout 1+2

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cicero posted:

Rune Factory (action JRPGextremely anime Harvest Moon)

If you like farming and and like anime, you'll love Rune Factory. Might require more dungeon delving than you're looking for though.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

nachos posted:

This stretches the definition of RPG a bit, but Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters is entirely based on this premise. You fly around the galaxy following various clues and gathering allies and resources, while story events progress on their own track unless you're there to intervene.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah if you don't win the game fast enough in SC2, then the Kohr-ah win the Ur-Quan civil war and go around exterminating all spacefaring races until you're all alone.

The Last Federation I think is supposed to have a similar vibe, but I could never really get my head around it. It's more like a game of space civilization that you are only one guy in one spaceship flying around in.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In a sort of similar vibe to SC2 there's Space Rangers 2, which doesn't get recommended enough

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Space Rangers 2 is...an acquired taste.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

nachos posted:

Just wait until the upcoming release of The Magical Realm of Tir na Nog - Escape From Necron 7: Revenge of Cuchulainn - The Official Game of the Movie: Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa!

Or I guess if you want to stick with games that are currently released, the Way of the Samurai games do this on a much smaller scale (the game usually takes place over a couple of days)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Space Rangers 2 is...an acquired taste.

True, but I also just recommended Kenshi and Wiz 7 so we've long crossed that line

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

nachos posted:

Would FFXIII: Lightning Returns count? I didn't get very far in it, but it had a timer and seemed like quests became available and potentially failed depending on the progression of the timer

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Wizardry 7 if being old and uh... dense isn't an issue. Kenshi if being new and insanely dense isn't an issue. Din's Curse is a Diablo like where that's the entire selling point but I found it otherwise pretty generic and forgettable

Soldak has been evolving this sorta thing for some time, each game he produces is basically a new iteration of the last game, down to including the same monster models, music, and sound effects. I feel like it mighta peaked with Zombasite, which I had a good 20+ hours with. Other than that, I only played Din's Curse. I wouldn't say that the world simulation is incredibly deep, but you definitely see the world's clockwork cranking away, and it keeps you moving: whether you find a place or not, there are dudes fighting, mutating, and conniving there, and it'll snowball into something pretty terrible eventually.

These are unique, very 2010's-indie-style games, and there are demos for each game, so to at least try them out is free.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 8, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are there any good, modern Space Trucker games?

And I'm not talking about games where "you can do all sorts of things, so you could play it as a space trucker." I want a game that is just about space truckin.

Give me Euro/American Truck Simulator but in space.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Star Citizen is going to implement space trucking with so much verisimilitude it will blow your mind in approximately 2039.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

And I'm not talking about games where "you can do all sorts of things, so you could play it as a space trucker." I want a game that is just about space truckin.

it won't be out for a little while but hopefully Star Trucker will be good

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hwurmp posted:

it won't be out for a little while but hopefully Star Trucker will be good

Holy gently caress. This looks like exactly what I want. Thanks for putting it on my radar. I'm happy to just know something is in the pipeline.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

nachos posted:

Torment: Tides of Numenera and Disco Elysium both do this in some ways. Time passes while you faff about and some events move forward without your involvement, including your quest givers falling off a cliff and dying while you're busy doing other things. It's not really a primary mechanic in either, however. They are both Very RPG, are set over the course of days not months, and try to instill a feeling that time is precious and you are on the clock to some degree of success.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Thanks. I beat Graveyard Keeper, some ot the others seem interesting so into the wishlist they go.
Also time to fix my DS and get RF I guess.
This post just came out, goddamn there are so many of these things now: https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/best-nintendo-switch-life-sims-and-farming-games

Twenty five titles on this list, and there's apparently more than that total since it's a "best of" list.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of space games that have options to play as a trucker that a lot of people do apparently just play with the trucking aspect. The only game I know that has no combat at all is Gazillionaire, but that is more about commodity trading and it's just ugly as sin.

Rebel Galaxy I think sure has some real space trucker music.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mordiceius posted:

Lost Planet 3 isn't about space truckin, but it is about a space trucker

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Elite Dangerous can be all about space truckin. And the game is otherwise very boring so you won't feel like you're just playing part of the game.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Mordiceius posted:

Sunless Skies.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Last Federation I think is supposed to have a similar vibe, but I could never really get my head around it. It's more like a game of space civilization that you are only one guy in one spaceship flying around in.

The Last Federation is kind of like if you're being the evil vizier to eight different civilizations at the same time, in an attempt to get them to do what you want. Which generally is "stop shooting each other please", but in my experience, it's always easiest if you push a few wars through to their conclusions, rather than try to keep everyone alive.

The actual moment-to-moment gameplay is kind of like if you have a spreadsheet but it costs time to navigate from one column to another.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

nachos posted:

Star Traders: Frontiers
https://store.steampowered.com/app/335620/Star_Traders_Frontiers/

and also the space trucking one kind of

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

nachos posted:

I've never played it, but I remember from promotional materials that Fable does this.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Unsighted is more of a metroidvania, but it has a time limit baked into its gameplay. Every character has a clock that runs down and once it does they die. This includes vendors, critical NPCs and the main character. There is a finite resource to top up the timer, but not enough to go round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Dead Rising had the clock as a central mechanic, and I would argue that the timeloops of Majora's Mask and Deathloop count as well. Fable 3 has you trying to prepare for a calamity that comes in a set amount of time.

Pathologic is a classic for this, and probably the game that puts independently passing time as most central to its workings.