Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
imgur not accepting webp has to be a willful decision at this point and I would love to know who and why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

imgur not accepting webp has to be a willful decision at this point and I would love to know who and why

"stop rehosting images on our site that you just found on another site"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly Imgur as a whole needs to be tossed

“We have a service that works well and people like. gently caress that, let’s be Reddit but shittier instead”

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

teen witch posted:

Honestly Imgur as a whole needs to be tossed

“We have a service that works well and people like. gently caress that, let’s be Reddit but shittier instead”

I think the problem is 20 years on, still no company has figured out how to provide free image hosting without doing so at a loss. Eventually the bill comes due and the site either becomes horrible or just suddenly dies

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Completely understandable, but why turn the site into Great Value Reddit

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Discord provides free image hosting amongst many other things that cost bandwidth and I am interested to see how they explode after the IPO forces them to try and do something other than burn through venture capital money

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

teen witch posted:

Completely understandable, but why turn the site into Great Value Reddit

That I couldn't tell you. Even reddit isn't profitable at being reddit

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Image hosting should be a public utility

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Is Imgur why I can't upload pics to the forums directly from the Awful App anymore?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Beastie posted:

Is Imgur why I can't upload pics to the forums directly from the Awful App anymore?

If you use the iOS version yes. The iOS app devs decided to remove it because??? Something about the images possibly being deleted after sometime if uploaded without using an imgur account. Android version devs did not remove the functionality.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Beastie posted:

the iPhone app yeah. I continue using the android app's upload in full knowledge my files might get deleted some day :shrug:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Someone should figure out a p2p image share platform. A lot of people have enough bandwidth at home that dumb image macros could be entirely decentralized.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Image hosting should be a public utility

Working at that old Tennessee Valley Authority, hosting images.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Someone should figure out a p2p image share platform. A lot of people have enough bandwidth at home that dumb image macros could be entirely decentralized.

yeah. for me to ruthlessly leech from :twisted:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Vampire Panties posted:

I wonder if that could actually work.

There'd have to be a central routing site instantly deciding who to forward it from based on the requesters location right?

I don't see how you could split the image up across multiple people without eating the bandwidth cost of the full image, defeating the purpose

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Just put the images on the block chain.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Vampire Panties posted:

Based on the random waffleimages or random imgur threads this would lead to horrifying images being hosted on everyone’s computer

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Brain Curry posted:

Based on the random waffleimages or random imgur threads this would lead to horrifying images being hosted on everyone’s computer

Yes :getin:

honestly they could hash images across each user, so everyone seeds rando bits

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Do not loving blockchain / NFT image hosting websites, jesus christ.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

the Nexusmods solution: every month you download a resource pack of the hottest meme images and an assortment of hip fonts, and a browser plugin assembles the latest memes from them based on a simple scripting language anyone can learn. Or, just install our app!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I dunno what the solution is but I remember when the SA Forums totally boned user bigbigtruck by hotlinking the 'you can't just walk into morder' gif straight from her website, which cost her a ton of money, and thats why we don't hotlink anymore

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
She doesn't post here anymore ofc, late 00s/early 10s SA ended up alienating a lot of our coolest creators. Sigh.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

She doesn't post here anymore ofc, late 00s/early 10s SA ended up alienating a lot of our coolest creators. Sigh.

SA forums circa 09/10' certainly qualified as something that got a lot shittier for no good reason.

Forums are good now :unsmith:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SA literally the only thing that has improved over time lmfao

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

GolfHole posted:

Do not loving blockchain / NFT image hosting websites, jesus christ.

But it's gonna make everybody rich somehow

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Biplane posted:

SA literally the only thing that has improved over time lmfao

debatable, there were no posts containing nothing but twitter links back then

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I feel like within the last five years people have just lost all their personal awareness. Nowadays there's always some slow-walking jackass in the middle of the goddamned sidewalk moving at a snail's pace, people walking out of businesses and not looking to see if someone's in the way of the door, folks blocking an entire aisle of the grocery store with a shopping cart while they look for their cans, it's just infuriating.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Mad Hamish posted:

I feel like within the last five years people have just lost all their personal awareness. Nowadays there's always some slow-walking jackass in the middle of the goddamned sidewalk moving at a snail's pace, people walking out of businesses and not looking to see if someone's in the way of the door, folks blocking an entire aisle of the grocery store with a shopping cart while they look for their cans, it's just infuriating.

That poo poo drives me absolutely up the wall. Just stopping in the middle of a busy sidewalk or airport or whatever to look around and figure it what they’re doing instead of stepping to the side.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Mad Hamish posted:

I noticed 'corner people' showing up around the beginning of the pandemic – just standing on a street corner in everyone's way for no clear reason. No public transit stop, no business taking place, not stopping temporarily to check something on the phone – just ... there. They could pick literally anywhere else to be and here they are on the intersection between two thoroughfares. The distancing part of the pandemic came and went but the corner people remain.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Mad Hamish posted:

I started doing my grocery shopping very early in the morning when the store is empty and it has been such a huge improvement to my life.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

is pepsi ok posted:

I started doing my grocery shopping very early in the morning when the store is empty and it has been such a huge improvement to my life.

I used to do all my shopping overnight but now none of the stores are open 24 hours.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's hard to get anyone's attention at all. Everyone wears headphones all the time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I dunno what the solution is but I remember when the SA Forums totally boned user bigbigtruck by hotlinking the 'you can't just walk into morder' gif straight from her website, which cost her a ton of money, and thats why we don't hotlink anymore

We don't care about hotlinking these days

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I never found out what that was I just know it WAS a forbidden thing punished by goonstastrstion

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

Human cholesterol, clogging up the arteries of public thoroughfares.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

treat them with patience and respect. You do not know their story or problems.

This is for humans. Brands and corporations ? gently caress them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

treat them with patience and respect. You do not know their story or problems.

This is for humans. Brands and corporations ? gently caress them

Agreed. Be a good goon.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Triikan posted:

Just put the images on the block chain.

:hmmyes:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
All of this reminds me of all those jokes about daily life during the collapse of the USSR.

Man goes to butcher, asks if they have fish. Butcher says, "This butchery, fishmonger down the street. He doesn't have fish."

Except now you've been promised that the blockchain has revolutionized fish but when you try to obtain one, nonsensical AI generated word salad appears instead. And then the cops kill you.

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But he did have free universal health care and education . Sad