Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I guess I'm the only one disappointed there won't be DLC. There were golden opportunities to delve into the missing Sheikah stuff, Kass, QoL improvements... It is way more feature-complete than BotW was but they just left things out without even so much as a token handwave.

And yes, they're also leaving a metric poo poo ton of money on the table because that's like 20 million people that would buy $30 DLC in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Poque posted:

Oh yeah then why are all my horses still around :colbert:

Because you left them floating in the stable pocket dimension five years ago when you got the motorcycle and didn't ask for them back, and they're sick of spectral mournful horse noises coming out of the hatch under the desk, so decided to give them to the first guy who asked about them, which also turned out to be you.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

FooF posted:

I guess I'm the only one disappointed there won't be DLC. There were golden opportunities to delve into the missing Sheikah stuff, Kass, QoL improvements... It is way more feature-complete than BotW was but they just left things out without even so much as a token handwave.

And yes, they're also leaving a metric poo poo ton of money on the table because that's like 20 million people that would buy $30 DLC in a heartbeat.

Nah, I'm disappointed too. Not surprised, considering how much stuff they crammed in, but disappointed that we won't be getting more Zonai history and/or whatever-happened-to-ancient-sheikah-stuff and/or whatever Kass is away doing etc etc.

Won't miss Master Mode stuff though. Regenerating enemies can sod aaall the way off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FooF posted:

I am surprised they aren't adding a free build mode or something but it's likely not a factor for the people making the insane builds that go viral.

It is wild to think one of the biggest possible install bases for the console isn't getting even a token effort, like some 100 floor dungeon or challenge content. That can't even be something that takes a big effort just a couple of months repurposing existing assets and tinkering with the balance.

Also porting over anything from BOTW that is still functional, like the motorcycle at least.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think I'd rather they just put any sort of TOTK DLC into BOTW3 instead.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Instead of following up on Kass they’re going to get rid of Riju and not explain it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
"No plans for DLC" doesn't mean there absolutely won't be DLC, let alone some kind of patch at a later point to add creative mode or whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they can rapid fire patch the fun out of the game, they at least owe us a DLC to put some more fun back in.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

If they can rapid fire patch the fun out of the game, they at least owe us a DLC to put some more fun back in.

your brain patched the fun out of the game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jehde posted:

I think I'd rather they just put any sort of TOTK DLC into BOTW3 instead.

Nintendo: For this game, we created the world of Hyrule.
Fans: Again? :confused:
Nintendo: You misunderstand. We literally made the world. It exists and you can go there for real. We invented magic too. 720p only.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

Nintendo: You misunderstand. We literally made the world. It exists and you can go there for real. We invented magic too. 720p only.

Yeah and that's great Nintendo but you made the underworld too.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Nintendo when they add a one-to-one scale Hyrule to Super Nintendo World.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Why am I insisting on grinding out the Lizalfos tails to get four star elemental gear…

:shepicide:

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Why am I insisting on grinding out the Lizalfos tails to get four star elemental gear…

:shepicide:
Kara Kara Bazaar sells them.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I should’ve been more specific. I need fire, ice, and electric Lizalfos tails to upgrade the respective climate gear to four stars. Nintendo massively nerfed their drop rates this game over BOTW. Gerudo canyon is not bad for grinding ice and fire as the area is coded to respawn camps of them at 6AM for fire and 6PM for ice. Electric Lizalfos is a bitch to grind though, wandering the desert with the sheika sensor is about the best you can do.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 7, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It feels like the armor upgrades are worse because everything uses ingredients that are specific to color enemy drops, that you would also want to use as fuse items for fun/combat.

Nothing is worth the grind to upgrade beyond level 2, save the champion tunic and one of the high defense sets. Maybe the one set you wear the other 90% of the time and don't want to swap out until it makes a huge difference.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Augus posted:

I don't think I was the one that patched out all the dupe tech that removed the terrible grind from the game.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Augus posted:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

pentyne posted:

It feels like the armor upgrades are worse because everything uses ingredients that are specific to color enemy drops, that you would also want to use as fuse items for fun/combat.

Nothing is worth the grind to upgrade beyond level 2, save the champion tunic and one of the high defense sets. Maybe the one set you wear the other 90% of the time and don't want to swap out until it makes a huge difference.

Yeah for real. I’m only doing it cause it’s a thing to do not because it’s practical.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If you don't find grinding fun just don't do it! It's that easy!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think I was the one that patched out all the dupe tech that removed the terrible grind from the game.

what terrible grind in the game do you need to dupe things for and is it an optional thing?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Everything in a game is optional, that is what makes it a game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey was there any truth to the claim that “using a sword-type weapon and hitting lizalfos on the backside yields tails more often”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you don't find grinding fun just don't do it! It's that easy!

I don't, that's why I duped a bunch of stuff and got the upgrades I wanted.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Steve Yun posted:

Hey was there any truth to the claim that “using a sword-type weapon and hitting lizalfos on the backside yields tails more often”

Anecdotally, from multiple people I have seen, yes. Sword from behind increases the odds. I haven't really tested it myself.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The next game's gonna be out before we definitively know the answer to that question

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018

Cojawfee posted:

I don't, that's why I duped a bunch of stuff and got the upgrades I wanted.

Heck yeah, me too. I managed to never get the first patch and I’m glad I didn’t. I liked having maxed out batteries so I could dick around with big constructs early, for one.

I do agree that everything is optional in the game, it’s just a little funny that all those dupe-fixing patches seems to have made things kinda… less optional? On day one you had the option of gear upgrades without lots of grinding, on day three or whatever you had the option of no gear upgrades for the same effort.

Farten Barfen fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 8, 2023

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I think not having a DLC campaign like BotW is fair, but come, Master Mode and a hard combat gauntlet is a slam dunk

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I'm considering a play-through of the Zelda series. Or at the very least, the ones I haven't actually played before + the ones I really liked (so basically all of them...). I've never fully played Zelda 1. A friend had it when we were kids, and I think we did 2 dungeons together but that was it. I know when people talk about it nowadays, it's a lot of "I can't believe I remembered to bomb that random rock in the random mountain screen to find important item. I couldn't do that without a guide today."

So is there a good guide out there for Zelda 1 that people like to use? I'm thinking there's got to be something that is vague enough to not be a hand-holdy, step-by-step walkthrough, but isn't completely obtuse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

W w w dot gamefaqs dot com

That is the correct way to use a guide for any classic game.

For the full experience the guide needs to have an amateur copyright statement at the top and a statement at the bottom with their email address saying please do t email unless you are really stuck because they are getting too many emails.

Also they do have maps on there in jpeg format that will show where the dungeons and items are but not tell you exactly what to do

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm considering a play-through of the Zelda series. Or at the very least, the ones I haven't actually played before + the ones I really liked (so basically all of them...). I've never fully played Zelda 1. A friend had it when we were kids, and I think we did 2 dungeons together but that was it. I know when people talk about it nowadays, it's a lot of "I can't believe I remembered to bomb that random rock in the random mountain screen to find important item. I couldn't do that without a guide today."

So is there a good guide out there for Zelda 1 that people like to use? I'm thinking there's got to be something that is vague enough to not be a hand-holdy, step-by-step walkthrough, but isn't completely obtuse.

The game's actual manual, along with this map that came with some(?) versions of the game, will be quite helpful, if you're looking for the "intended experience" of the game. The only other thing to note is that certain bits of dialogue are pretty poorly translated, so it may be worth looking those up if you can't figure out what they're trying to say.

If, however, you want to 100% the game, you're going to have to bomb every bit of every wall and burn every tree, which is tedious as hell; idk whether there's a spoiler-light guide for that kind of thing. All I can tell you is that bombable caves in the overworld are always on a top/north wall (opening down/southwards). Alternately you can just look up where those are - that's up to you.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

W w w dot gamefaqs dot com

That is the correct way to use a guide for any classic game.

For the full experience the guide needs to have an amateur copyright statement at the top and a statement at the bottom with their email address saying please do t email unless you are really stuck because they are getting too many emails.

Also they do have maps on there in jpeg format that will show where the dungeons and items are but not tell you exactly what to do

A real pro ancient FAQ also has a wild rumor about some hidden character or level with no proof because it was 1995 and there was no way to upload screenshots

I miss the days of there being legendary secrets in every game that some kid’s cousin showed him on a sleepover :corsair:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Earlier this year I decided to play through every game boy color game on NSO.

How did I get through Alone in the Dark? An obtuse as hell game? Gamefaqs baybee

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I like https://www.zeldadungeon.net for walkthroughs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Earlier this year I decided to play through every game boy color game on NSO.

How did I get through Alone in the Dark? An obtuse as hell game? Gamefaqs baybee

Oh man I remember playing this as a kid (on the PC) and having no god drat clue what to do.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Docjowles posted:

A real pro ancient FAQ also has a wild rumor about some hidden character or level with no proof because it was 1995 and there was no way to upload screenshots

in 1998 I spent hours trying to unlock a golden suit of armor in Ocarina of Time. Never got it :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

If, however, you want to 100% the game, you're going to have to bomb every bit of every wall and burn every tree, which is tedious as hell; idk whether there's a spoiler-light guide for that kind of thing. All I can tell you is that bombable caves in the overworld are always on a top/north wall (opening down/southwards). Alternately you can just look up where those are - that's up to you.

While the core gameplay of Zela 1 is still very fun, only an eight year old with nothing better to do would uncover all of the significant overworld locations. There's nothing wrong with breaking out a map to just cut away the annoyance.

I would recommend playing the dungeons without maps. They're not large and part of the game is exploration. And if you really want to keep some of that original sense, you can always explore a bit of the overworld and the break out the map when you want more cash or hearts or items or whatever. Just don't feel bad about going to a guide like that because not having patience for finding the hidden thing (which might not be any good) on 128 screens is a normal, sane reaction.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Docjowles posted:

I miss the days of there being legendary secrets in every game that some kid’s cousin showed him on a sleepover :corsair:

L is Real baybeeee

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

This may be closer to a hand-holdy walkthrough, but zelda 1 is a complicated game

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Spanish Manlove posted:

what terrible grind in the game do you need to dupe things for and is it an optional thing?

Probably stuff to upgrade armor. Lizalfos tails only have like a 25% drop rate, and you need like 70 of the fire ones if you want to fully upgrade the fire and yiga armor, so it's a crazy grind. Same for the Ice and Electric tails, but at least those are only for one set. They made the armor upgrading system so much worse in this game than in BOTW.

I was originally disappointed about no DLC, but then I realized it would probably just be more zonai construction pieces and more vehicle based stuff, so yeah I think I'm good.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 8, 2023