Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Simone had quite a following in the day (but not really on BSS where she even used to post!). Her original Secret Six run is really good and came out of Villains United which was a build up comic for Infinite Crisis. If you can track down that Secret Six run it is really worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I love all of Kelly Thompson's stuff. It sucks she left Marvel because she was doing a lot of good books there and using characters others aren't. But I'm glad she hasn't lost anything in going to DC since BoP was real good.

I feel like Simone never had anything as good as her early Deadpool and Agent X stuff. Though they Domino series was really good. Her Birds of Prey run was pretty decent from what I remember.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Madkal posted:

Simone had quite a following in the day (but not really on BSS where she even used to post!). Her original Secret Six run is really good and came out of Villains United which was a build up comic for Infinite Crisis. If you can track down that Secret Six run it is really worth it.

Trip report
It's excellent, nice to see bane have some depth

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Catman and Deadshot have such a great bromance in that book too.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 8, 2023

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

Birds of Prey is her first DC book. It came out this week, and I can't stop talking about it.

Oh sweet! Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely check it out now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lucifunk posted:

It's not DC, but she did a pretty good Domino series that seemed to have been cut off by the Krakoa status quo happening. If I'm remembering correctly it was around 12 issues long or so.

the series was 10 issues long with 1 annual but it was concluded by a 5 issue miniseries called Domino: Hotshots

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

It just feels like it's taking Morrison's ideas and not really doing much with them except making Batman unlikable.

I think it's a problem that writers fall into where they feel like they have to make big signature runs on heroes like Spider-Man and Batman, but what most people want are just good stories about them fighting villains. Batman has just been one big thing after another and there's no status quo or really any one character to get invested in except maybe Tim, because everyone else keeps changing or not acting like themselves.

I think this is why you end up with stuff like Tom Taylor's Nightwing or the Jeremy Adams Flash or even JT4's Batman breaking out to a degree. They're not necessarily expected to be big earth-shattering things because they're either lower tier characters or intended as fill in runs, and so they just focus on telling contained stories with the tools on the table.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Simone did a good Red Sonya run. G Willow Wilson did a well regarded Wonder Woman run iirc, but I haven't read it (in addition to being the co-creator of one of the most popular new characters of the 21st century with Ms. Marvel), she's currently writing the previously mentioned Poison Ivy.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I’m starting to lose confidence in that one. She faceplanted the easy layup that knight terrors should’ve been and now we’ve tossed the cool drifter scene to be back in gotham fighting croc over a…. Shack or something?

I’m sort of worried that maybe the bonkers stuff that made the first dozen issues so fun might not have been on purpose

I’ll stay with it but man were those knight terrors issues boring

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gaz-L posted:

I think this is why you end up with stuff like Tom Taylor's Nightwing or the Jeremy Adams Flash or even JT4's Batman breaking out to a degree. They're not necessarily expected to be big earth-shattering things because they're either lower tier characters or intended as fill in runs, and so they just focus on telling contained stories with the tools on the table.
One of the reasons BTAS has such staying power in the hearts of nerds is because it did exactly this - set up an interesting status quo and told good stories within that status quo. No ramming the stakes up to eleven, no earth-shattering revelations that change everything, just stories about Batman fighting the Riddler and Two Face and Ras al Ghul, and doing it very well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Simone did a good Red Sonya run. G Willow Wilson did a well regarded Wonder Woman run iirc, but I haven't read it (in addition to being the co-creator of one of the most popular new characters of the 21st century with Ms. Marvel), she's currently writing the previously mentioned Poison Ivy.

Wilson's Wonder Woman is low key very good. I wasn't as hooked as I was reading it as I have been with other runs, but in hindsight it does a lot of really enjoyable things. It has a really fun take on Giganta, it brings the Amazons back into play for the first time in forever, it breaks up Diana and Steve, and does some interesting things with the gods. (A big point in the run is Aphrodite being murdered by Cheetah, resulting in love fading from the world. The idea being that Diana's key trait is her love for others so without that, Cheetah would be able to kill her)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm surprised nobody brought up the surprise member of the Birds of Prey.

Future Maps! :peanut: I liked her interactions with Cass in Batgirls, so this should be good. Also next time they do a Batman Beyond series they need to do an arc with past Maps showing up since IIRC there was a bit where she actually offpanel travelled into the future after Blight came back in time to kill Terry's dad.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I sorta forgot about that because it's just so bizarrely out there and was overshadowed by my own reaction to how offputting that Harley could beat Cassandra's body reading.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

I sorta forgot about that because it's just so bizarrely out there and was overshadowed by my own reaction to how offputting that Harley could beat Cassandra's body reading.

Deadpool did the same thing to beat Taskmaster ages ago.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

I don't get why people are upset about this. It's not like she beat Cass, she gave her more trouble than she expected. It would suck if Cass had zero weakness and could never ever have any trouble fighting someone.

I mean, where are all the people getting mad that Batman beat Cass in one panel?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, during the whole One Minute War Flash arc there was a whole thing where the psychic villain could be outfoxed by Bart because he doesn't think before he does things.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I don't get why people are upset about this. It's not like she beat Cass, she gave her more trouble than she expected. It would suck if Cass had zero weakness and could never ever have any trouble fighting someone.

I mean, where are all the people getting mad that Batman beat Cass in one panel?

Now that I know about it I'm mad as hell

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xelkelvos posted:

Didn't Joker cause trouble with Cass' bodyreading way back in the original Puckett run? There's precedent.

Edit: BoP Spoilers also is it wrong that assuming Meridian is actually around Cass' age I hope she sticks around in the present and they become girlfriends? They'd be cute together. Obviously Present Maps should stay at Gotham Academy with her true love, though:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 10, 2023

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I dunno guys, I love characters who can never lose no matter what. Makes for super interesting storytelling.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't Joker cause trouble with Cass' bodyreading way back in the original Puckett run? There's precedent.

Edit: BoP Spoilers also is it wrong that assuming Meridian is actually around Cass' age I hope she sticks around in the present and they become girlfriends? They'd be cute together. Obviously Present Maps should stay at Gotham Academy with her true love, though:

If you're gonna give Cass a girlfriend it should be Stephanie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Fisto posted:

I dunno guys, I love characters who can never lose no matter what. Makes for super interesting storytelling.
Cassandra seems to be "will almost certainly win a fight against an opponent without substantial superpowers, and may have a shot against just about anyone" which is certainly powerful but hardly Superman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And then they can have a polycule with Connor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

And then they can have a polycule with Connor.

Connor's already in a polycule with Bart and Tim (and I guess Tim's boyfriend too)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Painfully boring. We need more close relationships that are not romantic in nature.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Painfully boring. We need more close relationships that are not romantic in nature.

Agreed

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lord_Hambrose posted:

No. Everyone needs to be loving. Constantly.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

People are mad about it because a lot of people have a very weird need to hate Harley as loudly as possible and tell everyone how much they hate her and don't want to read about her. I'm not a Harley fan and am a Cass superfan and I was fine with it. Especially since Clownforce has been an established weakness of hers in the past, and the rest of the issue did a great job portraying her as awesome and extremely capable.

Batman beating her in a single panel with a grapple gun was horrible, on the other hand.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I agree in general but definitely ship Steph and Cass

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Also Cass/Steph is way better than Steph/Tim and I will die on this hill, DC were cowards for not making it happen

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Thinking about New 52 starting Steph and Tim together completely off panel, having Tim be lovely to Steph a bunch in Tynion's Detective run and then breaking them up off panel because Tynion wanted Tim to be bi

A classic comics relationship that definitely needed to happen

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Even a lot of the Tim/Steph relationship in the classic Robin run is weird, largely because it was written by Chuck Dixon.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I actually kind of shipped Cass/Tim in the pre-Flashpoint times. Of course then the whole dang universe rebooted.

And I do get Cass/Steph but I do honestly think they make such great friends/surrogate sisters.

Also going back to the Batgirls issue where Maps shows up for some reason she's depicted like a child, despite being Damien's age. Like she's Kyle's little sister, but she still goes to his school! I thought she was only a year younger.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Shipping Alfred and commissioner Gordon. DC needs to get on this. :nono:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Maybe we can get a guest run from Erik Larsen where everyone is fuckin 24/7.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Martian Manhunter and Plastic Man please. Imagine the shapes. :prepop:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I actually kind of shipped Cass/Tim in the pre-Flashpoint times. Of course then the whole dang universe rebooted.

And I do get Cass/Steph but I do honestly think they make such great friends/surrogate sisters.

Also going back to the Batgirls issue where Maps shows up for some reason she's depicted like a child, despite being Damien's age. Like she's Kyle's little sister, but she still goes to his school! I thought she was only a year younger.

It's all a bit off, yeah. It also doesn't help that she's extremely short too which makes her even more kid-like. Damien isn't that old fwiw. They're both around 13.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Yvonmukluk posted:

"Surrogate sisters" as opposed to the literal brother and sister pairing mentioned two sentences previously

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Abroham Lincoln posted:

"Surrogate sisters" as opposed to the literal brother and sister pairing mentioned two sentences previously

Fair point. I always forget that Cass got adopted, proably on account of the Beechen mini being where it comes up, her going off to Hong Kong for a while and then Flashpoint happened.

And like I said, I moved past that. I'm on team Cass/Meridian now.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Abroham Lincoln posted:

...Sweet home alabama?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Nat posted:

Even a lot of the Tim/Steph relationship in the classic Robin run is weird, largely because it was written by Chuck Dixon.

That reminds me that Steph had a kid she put up for adoption. I don't hate the solution, but it honestly felt like Dixon couldn't think of anything else to do with Steph than have somebody - I don't even remember who, but it's not Tim or I think anybody we ever saw - knock her up for melodrama. Tim takes her to Lamaze class, so that's nice.