Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think the n95 filter material is technically made from a fabric. But it's not like they have it at JoAnn Fabrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone have good recs for masks for the gym? As in good with not having sweat just spread everywhere in it and keeps its structure? I assume the respirators are my options since the any sort of n95 cloth mask over the face will absorb all sweat given my experience.

https://www.stealthmask.co.uk/products/stealth-lite-pro-reusable-ffp3-facemask-5pk

I've been using these fellas for the last two years. They seem to work great - certainly I've not caught covid yet (from the gym...)

They're rigid, so they don't just collapse in, and the amount of filter + valve means they're easy enough to breath in. They do get a bit sweaty around the edges, but that's just inevitable. Give the silicone parts a wipe, leave the strap somewhere the sun can hit it, it'll be fine the next day

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Barry Foster posted:

https://www.stealthmask.co.uk/products/stealth-lite-pro-reusable-ffp3-facemask-5pk

I've been using these fellas for the last two years. They seem to work great - certainly I've not caught covid yet (from the gym...)

They're rigid, so they don't just collapse in, and the amount of filter + valve means they're easy enough to breath in. They do get a bit sweaty around the edges, but that's just inevitable. Give the silicone parts a wipe, leave the strap somewhere the sun can hit it, it'll be fine the next day
Thanks. I'm taking a look at this and just found the CSPAM thread too. Forgot CSPAM existed. And yeah as long as it's comfy and doesn't collapse in and sweat doesn't spread everywhere it should be fine. The trick is probably finding something that fits the shape of the head/mouth.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I think the n95 filter material is technically made from a fabric. But it's not like they have it at JoAnn Fabrics.
Yeah, the disposable kind has little fibers I start to see if you use them too often and it's time to switch out.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I wear a KF94 style mask for bouldering and it works fine for me for relatively anaerobic stuff. I had to do a stress echo with the same one a while ago and it's definitely tougher if you're doing a lot of cardio, but if by gym you mean mostly like resistance / weightlifting type stuff you should be fine.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

enki42 posted:

I wear a KF94 style mask for bouldering and it works fine for me for relatively anaerobic stuff. I had to do a stress echo with the same one a while ago and it's definitely tougher if you're doing a lot of cardio, but if by gym you mean mostly like resistance / weightlifting type stuff you should be fine.

Yeah I should've mentioned cardio. I'm doing resistance too but if there's something that's nicer for cardio that people have experience with I'd like that. I assume it's going to be similar to wearing those high-altitude masks people were using prior to covid

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks. I'm taking a look at this and just found the CSPAM thread too. Forgot CSPAM existed. And yeah as long as it's comfy and doesn't collapse in and sweat doesn't spread everywhere it should be fine. The trick is probably finding something that fits the shape of the head/mouth.

Yeah, the disposable kind has little fibers I start to see if you use them too often and it's time to switch out.

Ah, no, its meltblown polypropylene which is basically a plastic fiber.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks will look, silicone sounds good. By N95 cloth mask I mean the normal ones with NIOSH approval. They’re not plastic and not paper so I assume it’s some sort of cloth

They’re nonwoven polypropylene fabric.

It’s sort of like making cotton candy but with polypropylene (#5 plastic).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Covid reviews are a thing. I was looking up a local restaurant and it has many glowing reviews of the food. In contrast two reviews from the past few months complain about the bland and flavorless food. I find it hard to imagine that 80+ people who have left reviews in the last year are wrong and a handful of people somehow were served a plate of bland food.

I did see a tweet about this where a woman was complaining that "now that the pandemic is over nobody knows how to cook!" She went on to say that paying higher prices for restaurant food that has no taste was insulting. When comments suggested that covid (which she had twice or more) may have knocked out her ability to taste, they were met with all the boomer vibe derision you'd expect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Indolent Bastard posted:

Covid reviews are a thing. I was looking up a local restaurant and it has many glowing reviews of the food. In contrast two reviews from the past few months complain about the bland and flavorless food. I find it hard to imagine that 80+ people who have left reviews in the last year are wrong and a handful of people somehow were served a plate of bland food.

I did see a tweet about this where a woman was complaining that "now that the pandemic is over nobody knows how to cook!" She went on to say that paying higher prices for restaurant food that has no taste was insulting. When comments suggested that covid (which she had twice or more) may have knocked out her ability to taste, they were met with all the boomer vibe derision you'd expect.

There's been an observable pattern of people leaving bad reviews on Amazon for scented Yankee Candles these last few years, to the point where the Yankee Candle Index has become a real thing in academic circles

https://twitter.com/AltenbergLee/status/1579009940387409923?lang=en

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Indolent Bastard posted:

That wasn't just any woman, that was famous handcuffed-herself-to-Twitter-HQ-failed-congressional-candidate Laura Loomer:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I suspected my neighbor of having the same problem, when she posted a notice in the elevator asking for help identifying "this weird smell that's been coming and going for the past 1½ years". Counting backwards, that was smack at the peak of the Omicron wave, here. I wrote it off as either covid-induced anosmia or just a plain nutjob.

I did message her just to let her know we didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, just to be nice. Turns out, one of the other neighbors had already fessed up to burning some unusual kind of incense which must have migrated in through her windows or air vents... :ms:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1680211381885317122?s=20

"Reportedly"

https://twitter.com/nancylevine/status/1680206573753491457?s=20

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol clear your throat already bobby junior

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
All conspiracies lead to Zionism.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

3. Who the hell is even listening to this dingaling?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Snowden

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Gynovore posted:

People who listen to Joe Rogan's podcast, which IIRC isn't that many people since he's just some weirdo meathead conspiracy theorist.

*checks notes*

...uh, about that,

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Gynovore posted:

A dangerous mixture of right-wingers, antivax lunatics and liberals in love with dynasties.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is there any new drug recommended if you get covid that's better than paxlovid? is paxlovid still effective?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Strong Sauce posted:

is there any new drug recommended if you get covid that's better than paxlovid?

no

Strong Sauce posted:

is paxlovid still effective?

yes

it may be difficult-to-impossible to get if you live outside of the US for all but the furthest margins of octogenerians

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Metformin taken alongside paxlovid seems to dramatically lower the chances of long covid, so there is that.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Yeah seems like Kaiser is hesitant to proscribe it. My friend caught Covid and was being stonewalled by them. I suggested going through a site like dr b to get it. Just wondering if that was still the thing to get

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fur20 posted:

no

yes

it may be difficult-to-impossible to get if you live outside of the US for all but the furthest margins of octogenerians

At least here in Canada you can get it if you smoke, or lie about being a smoker.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah seems like Kaiser is hesitant to proscribe it. My friend caught Covid and was being stonewalled by them. I suggested going through a site like dr b to get it. Just wondering if that was still the thing to get

I'm hoping for additional positive news on Metformin and Gilead has an oral Remdesivir in trials that is supposedly as effective as pax, but for now, yup, just pax.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Got a bill in the mail yesterday from my new doctor’s office. I owe $262 bucks for my Covid vaccination.

Thanks healthcare.gov, for making sure that the heathplans using your platform will cover the simplest of things! Thumbs up!

To be clear, I did not think I would owe anything and turned down tests that need to be done because I have no money and I expect to have to reach a high deductible in order to have any of them done. But I figured that common vaccinations would be covered at 100%.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Billing for COVID vaccination is a policy goal of the current administration and should be happening soon, but should not be happening yet.

Call about it. It sucks, but it’s worth doing over three hundred dollars.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Platystemon posted:

Billing for COVID vaccination is a policy goal of the current administration and should be happening soon, but should not be happening yet.

Call about it. It sucks, but it’s worth doing over three hundred dollars.

Ooo! Thanks. I looked up the policy that specifically says no reverse billing is permitted because those vaccines were purchased through the cdc.

Glad I turned down the tetanus that I also should get, since apparently is be responsible for that one.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1686813844469858319?s=20

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1686813855874170891?s=20

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1686813861721030658?s=20

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
quoting myself since this seems like a good a place to share as any. i don’t really watch this thread though so if you see something you’d be able to use maybe just PM me?

harrygomm posted:

doing a bit of cleanup. if there’s anyone in portland suburbs or near cannon beach i’ve got an excess of some n95 and adjacent masks if you want them. no cost or anything. if there’s nobody nearby that claims them in about a week i can mail them out to whoever thinks it’s a good idea to give out an address

BNX model F95B (black N95) - tried a couple, don’t fit. pack is open, they aren’t individually wrapped. 8 ish. comes with external metal nose bridge strips that someone in the last thread recommended

Xiantao Zhong Yi model ZYB-11 - no idea how or where i got these. cup style white, guessing n95. i not individually wrapped, plastic open, about 10. if these are trash, and i’m not sure they aren’t, i’ll pitch em.

Powecom KN95 model GB2626-2019 - guessing these are from 2019. not individually wrapped, white, about half a dozen

4 Flo mask Pro replacement filters and 5 everyday replacement filters. individually wrapped. just the filters, no other parts of the mask kit. adult size.

Gerson 3230 N95 model TC-84A-9285 - about a half dozen white duckbill masks. individually wrapped, have a kinda loosey goosey headband thing, don’t fit my fat head. also not sure where they came from or if they’rea reputable brand

3M Vflex 9105 - about a dozen, not individually wrapped, pack has been opened. not sure how old they are, lot # is A221101419501, ordered from a 3M partner listed on their site

Avery Dennison N95 sticky strapless masks - yellow. not individually wrapped, 8.00 x 6.25 inch size, model # 58460ADMN1906L lot # M0803601 from 8/27/2022. i figure if enough different people want these i can split them out, there’s around 35 of em (work OK ime but i don’t do a lot of stuff i couldn’t just use other masks for)

3M 8293 P100 - disposable P100. individually wrapped. it came really puffed up with air inside, but that’s no longer the case. haven’t opened it but i assume it’s not like clinically sterile or whatever that air might have been doing. only one of these

LG Airwasher black KF94 - large size, individually wrapped, 8 total. looks like they expire in roughly june 2025? i can see the year but month/day is blurry.

BOTN KF94 - black, size medium, 4 or 5, individually wrapped. expire Feb 2026. lot # is probably BBCE92201

2 sealed vials of Allegro Industries Bitter Fit Test Solution - 2 needed per test, so one test worth. Lot # 012622-0292 expire 1/26/27

finally since my partner settled on a different mask right after i got the big box on sale: handfuls of individually sealed 3M 9210 (white stretchy band aura). these are normally what i use so i’ll keep a pile of them but this was from that fischer sci deal a little while ago. idr how many total that was. they’re loose in a big box, not the 20 to a box style that 3M ships but iirc we found that these were legitimate last time, let me know where to find a lot number on these and i can provide it if needed

uh i think that’s it. outside of those cup n95 from unknown location, i’ve tried all of these and they seem fine or whatever, just hard too beat the aura for me. hopefully someone can make better use of them than just having them sit in storage like i’ve been. feel free to PM either of i should take this down or whatever or if you don’t feel comfortable asking for more info or whatever itt

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't think the anti-science genie can be put back into the bottle.

https://twitter.com/SenatorBraun/status/1699463277405782033?s=20

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
When can I get my new booster so I can go to the annual Denny's Suck and gently caress?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

When can I get my new booster so I can go to the annual Denny's Suck and gently caress?

Possibly as soon as Sept. 13th, possibly never if Ossof has his way.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Oracle posted:

Possibly as soon as Sept. 13th, possibly never if Ossof has his way.

Lol god dammit just let me get my booster 😞 I am so sick of this poo poo hole country man

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

Lol god dammit just let me get my booster 😞 I am so sick of this poo poo hole country man

At least in this country you have a chance; UK and most of Europe are still of the opinion you should only get boosted if you're over 60/70/80 or have multiple comorbidities or maybe cancer.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Being American is like 5 comorbidities

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Being American is like 5 comorbidities

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
taps thread title

Medpage article

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 8, 2023

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
"FDA Reviewers Say OTC Decongestant Doesn't Work
— But they acknowledge that taking the only shelf-accessible product off the market raises issues"

.... Wouldn't this mean there's presently zero working products on the shelf already?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

"FDA Reviewers Say OTC Decongestant Doesn't Work
— But they acknowledge that taking the only shelf-accessible product off the market raises issues"

.... Wouldn't this mean there's presently zero working products on the shelf already?

Yup (they're all behind the counter and require two forms of ID and a signature in blood to get).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There are other things that work for nasal congestion. When I was a kid they used to use "steam" to help clear us out which worked for a little while. More recently I've tried netti pots which work great, with the caveat that you have to redo it every couple hours and also if you don't use sterile water you might get a brain parasite. They also work instantly, which is something even the good pills can't do.

Selling people a pill that doesn't work discourages them from finding alternatives that do work. Pharmaceutical companies shouldn't be allowed to sell literal snake oil, leave that to the homeopaths.