Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i went skating today and wow the ankles are a super important muscle to maintain if you wanna feel safe doing that

also, i did an ab workout and a normal workout in the same day without realizing it. felt nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i made a little 3 inch-ish tall platform out of plywood to exercise my ankles because i manage to roll an ankle on like half the hikes i do. i grab a barbell and put my toes on the platform and do ankle ups

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I've been absolutely terrible about getting to the gym and finishing my workouts over the last two weeks. Work stress is messing up my sleep schedule, which is throwing everything out of wack. I realize now that I probably need to start hitting the gym in the morning so that I'm not trying to work up the willpower after a full day of work.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

i made a little 3 inch-ish tall platform out of plywood to exercise my ankles because i manage to roll an ankle on like half the hikes i do. i grab a barbell and put my toes on the platform and do ankle ups
yea same here basically, when i remember

I'll just skate more that should take care of it. although, doing ankle weighted box jumps would probably take me to new heights

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

i made one of these with 2x4s for calf raises. it's good. it's basically shaped like a capital I

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PokeJoe posted:

did she say anything else was big?

His heart :frogbon:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ADINSX posted:

His heart :frogbon:

aww :shobon:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

KoRMaK posted:

yea same here basically, when i remember

I'll just skate more that should take care of it. although, doing ankle weighted box jumps would probably take me to new heights

Achmed Jones posted:

i made one of these with 2x4s for calf raises. it's good. it's basically shaped like a capital I

:hf:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I use single leg Romanian deadlifts for an ankle workout. They're highly effective.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

HamAdams posted:

my wife told me my arms look big today :cool:

if this were me i would have told you this, slapped your butt, and said good game champ

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

squatted 280 lbs today and it felt heavy

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

akadajet posted:

squatted 280 lbs today and it felt heavy

I too got up out of bed AYYYOOOOOOOO

very nice :cheers:

I wish only weighed 280 :negative: so close

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bought a cage

i still dont have a barbell or plates but one step at a time

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

squat cage in the garage is the dream setup. lucky dog

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

post hole digger posted:

squat cage in the garage is the dream setup. lucky dog

especially if you have air conditioning

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

i bought a cage

feats of strength this year gonna be lit

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

don't worry i'm sure i'll hurt myself and have to take a break and never lift again. it's happened so many times v_v

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

don't worry i'm sure i'll hurt myself and have to take a break and never lift again. it's happened so many times v_v

use the safety bars and you’ll be fine

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i don't actually know what a cage is and my mind immediately went to achmed jones building an illegal cage fighting ring in his basement.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh i don't mean that, i mean tweaking a knee or a brachialis or something silly like that, from adding weight too quickly and/or having bad form. but mostly i was being silly

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Eeyo posted:

i don't actually know what a cage is and my mind immediately went to achmed jones building an illegal cage fighting ring in his basement.

yeah that's correct - im gonna be a competitor, which is how i'd get hurt

to actually help, here's a picture of a cage:

i didn't get that one though, i just got the cheap one from fringe sport. i overbought on my bench and don't wanna make the same mistake here - if i outgrow it, fine, that's a good thing. but i'm pretty sure i won't

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah that's correct - im gonna be a competitor, which is how i'd get hurt

to actually help, here's a picture of a cage:

i didn't get that one though, i just got the cheap one from fringe sport. i overbought on my bench and don't wanna make the same mistake here - if i outgrow it, fine, that's a good thing. but i'm pretty sure i won't

eat a lot and you’ll outgrow it

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
horizontal growth is still growth :btroll:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Weighed myself for the first time in ages on September 1st as I felt I'd drifted up somewhat, and I wasn't wrong, nearly 6 kilos extra on. Decided to do a lean week: no snacks, no between-meals, no sodas (even diet), no beer, at least considering the healthiness of meals for once... Today's weigh in eight days later: 110kg down to 108kg , if I can keep that sort of drop-off up while sustaining my regular gym sessions and not feeling weakened by the restricted food input I'll be very happy. See how things go by the end of September.

I'd like to get down to 95-98kg ish in the end, for a 6ft2 / 188cm bloke that seems doable. I've been there before before lockdown, but I was doing a lot more cardio / floor workouts and a lot less weights so I was slimmer but not nearly as bulked in the arms / chest / back / legs as I am today.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The main thing I'd say about weighing in is that individual weigh-ins can vary wildly through a lot of factors that may or may not be related to actual body composition (as anyone in any combat sport who has had to "make weight" can tell you). Tracking weight is still a good way to keep track of body composition, though. It's best to weigh in regularly (daily if possible). Then you can get averages and trendlines that will more closely track what is actually happening.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

have had an irritating few weeks where I've regained nearly half of what I've cut, but at the same time been hearing lots of compliments about how I'm looking these days

wonder if I should splurge on a dexa body scan or something just to get an actually-useful baseline

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the best measure is how big your smile is when you flex in the bathroom mirror

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

oh self-assessment doesn't work in my case because I'll never be happy with how I look

(though I saw a photo of myself from a few weeks ago and instead of feeling actively bad about my appearance it was only passively bad, so maybe you have something there)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Weighed myself for the first time in ages on September 1st as I felt I'd drifted up somewhat, and I wasn't wrong, nearly 6 kilos extra on. Decided to do a lean week: no snacks, no between-meals, no sodas (even diet), no beer, at least considering the healthiness of meals for once... Today's weigh in eight days later: 110kg down to 108kg , if I can keep that sort of drop-off up while sustaining my regular gym sessions and not feeling weakened by the restricted food input I'll be very happy. See how things go by the end of September.

I'd like to get down to 95-98kg ish in the end, for a 6ft2 / 188cm bloke that seems doable. I've been there before before lockdown, but I was doing a lot more cardio / floor workouts and a lot less weights so I was slimmer but not nearly as bulked in the arms / chest / back / legs as I am today.

whatever you do make sure you like it and make it consistent

that's the real challenge, moreso than anything else

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i actually had remarkably consistent weight loss for many months, like consistently 2 lbs every week. i kinda bounced off 200lbs though and have been bouncing just slightly above for a month now. we keep having company over which fucks up my diet.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Eeyo posted:

we keep having company over which fucks up my diet.

my problem every summer

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
kinda hosed up my already relatively bad knee at volleyball last night. while it was pretty sore and stiff when i woke up, it got better during the day and i was able to deadlift and leg press with no issue. with how i landed it could have been way worse, so i’m pretty lucky even tho it still doesn’t feel great. getting old fuckin sucks, wtf

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Managed a new best on my 1 mile run today... 10:59.

My goal for the year is to get under ten minutes. Right now my jogging pace is actually good enough for that, as I maintained a 9:59 pace for 3/4 of the run. I just got too wiped after that and slowed down to a near-walk for a lot of the rest. I'm starting to realize that I am extremely bad at breathing during sustained cardio. I gasp and get even more winded than I should be. To hit my goal, I'm going to have to be more conscious of how I breath during my runs (in the same way that I'm conscious of my body positioning while lifting weights).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

LanceHunter posted:

Managed a new best on my 1 mile run today... 10:59.

My goal for the year is to get under ten minutes. Right now my jogging pace is actually good enough for that, as I maintained a 9:59 pace for 3/4 of the run. I just got too wiped after that and slowed down to a near-walk for a lot of the rest. I'm starting to realize that I am extremely bad at breathing during sustained cardio. I gasp and get even more winded than I should be. To hit my goal, I'm going to have to be more conscious of how I breath during my runs (in the same way that I'm conscious of my body positioning while lifting weights).

:nice:

i just finished a half marathon a couple weeks ago and my advice is if your working on your first runs focus on distance and ignore speed up to your first 5k or 10k. once you can do a 5/10k you can start working on speed, some of which will come naturally with building up your cardiovascular system and hitting the long distances, and then others would ideally involve specific training, like fartleks, sprint workouts, hill climbs etc.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol fartlek

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

who makes a good running shoe these days? soles literally falling off mine (from disuse, not because i’m active)