Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Thank you to whoever mentioned that the ranratsu ar is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Play posted:

Yeah that's one interesting but unintuitive thing about the game. Just because some new weapons become available in a new chapter doesn't in any way mean those weapons are better than the ones at the start.

My favorite booster comes out of the loving tutorial lmao. I hardly ever use another one. Sure, its not good in every area but no piece of equipment ever is.

Tutorial also has nice guns, and a good early engine and a fcs chip that is turbo good in close range.

So I guess literally everything from the tut is good. :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The Alula or whatever it's called is the best booster for light builds but once you go past the optimum weight limit it gets real stinky real fast

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just never buy the weight control os tune

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the weapons definitely are an improvement over the starting stuff simply because start stuff is, well, generic in a game that rewards optimization to a degree

the parts tho are actually solid

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
Speaking of optimizing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tcKGdMvqBddIRwk8kBvMdWQ9IzP2WPfF/edit#gid=1614954051

Most people have probably found this doc, but there it is just in case.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the laser dagger is actually very sick, especially in conjunction with a booster with good melee thrust. does great damage and recharges within a couple seconds. you can chew through chaff with it or land hits on ACs pretty easily

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

2/3 of the way through my S Ranks, I don't think I've gone after anything like this in a while outside of Monster Hunter. It definitely is nostalgic, even if frustrating because I missed the rank by the tiniest amount. Playing with different builds has been fun, but it really makes me miss my tetra.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the laser dagger is actually very sick, especially in conjunction with a booster with good melee thrust. does great damage and recharges within a couple seconds. you can chew through chaff with it or land hits on ACs pretty easily

Replaying stuff just for fun, I have a cruel choice between wanting to use the laser dagger more because it can be spammed on groups of MT harder, and wanting to use stronger recoil arms more often for better box machinegun life.

Every good recoil arm has a melee penalty. Even one of the less penalized ones at 80+ melee it seems can't one hit knock aside an MT shield anymore :negative: Sure the full combo works, but it just isn't the same. (pulse blade works fine as usual as a two hit combo, but that isn't FAST!)

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
laser lance / pile driver combo is another excellent melee choice

you can purge the other two slots

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Laser Lance is the melee enabler. The charge attack has super good tracking, it closes an insane amount of distance and does good damage and stagger. The Pile Bunker is significantly worse without the Lance to set it up. The corollary of this is that if you're having fun with the Pile Bunker then you should try it with the Lance because it makes it so much better.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

laser lance / pile driver combo is another excellent melee choice

you can purge the other two slots
"drop" my guns?? i could never

(why cant we just have 4 melee weapons, game, let me go full darksouls)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Four Sweet Sixteen

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Blaziken386 posted:

"drop" my guns?? i could never

(why cant we just have 4 melee weapons, game, let me go full darksouls)

Fully Moonlight/NG++spoilersthe coral version of moonlight quad anime setup. PLSSSS

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hello, is this From Software? Yeah hey imma need ya’ll to put in shoulder mounted gats and zimms please.

I’ll also accept being able to store duplicate weapons in the weapons bays AND hands so I can instantly swap between two pairs of gats, two pairs of zimms, etc.

Or hey just make it so every hand weapon in the game can either be doubled up on in the hand and weapons bays at the same time OR directly mounted for shoulder fire but at the cost of some ammo reserves or something.

I need that 4 simultaneous gats tank, From. We all do.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I just had an incredible rush in NG+ Beating Defend the Dam on my first try with 1000 AP left in an ultra light laser dagger mech. I was expecting to have to come back with a cheesier loadout but the dagger tears big gun ACs to pieces.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

GreatGreen posted:

Hello, is this From Software? Yeah hey imma need ya’ll to put in shoulder mounted gats and zimms please.

I’ll also accept being able to store duplicate weapons in the weapons bays AND hands so I can instantly swap between two pairs of gats, two pairs of zimms, etc.

Or hey just make it so every hand weapon in the game can either be doubled up on in the hand and weapons bays at the same time OR directly mounted for shoulder fire but at the cost of some ammo reserves or something.

I need that 4 simultaneous gats tank, From. We all do.
honestly i wish there were more variety in back weapons, like, say
-weapon that takes up both slots
-weapon that is just More Ammo for weapon 1
-"weapon" that was actually just an extra armor piece for utility (ie: side shields for extra AP, jetpack/wings for even more jump height, etc. etc.)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I want more energy weapons and a coral generator that increases coral weapon damage. Also a huge fuckoff set of tetras. I want to be heavy weapons robit, just not on tank treads.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
UUUGHHHHH

NG++ spoilers

Omg Iguazu is such a loving bitch of a last boss. I've tried a bunch of builds and I just can't complete it on Phase 3 cause I'm so far burned down on AP. Even my usual face melt mech is falling short. Mostly it's because of trying to deal with locking onto the right loving target since he spawns so many fuckers with him. Sure in phase 2 it's just two C-spiders but in Phase-1 they keep getting in the way. Not sure what to really do.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Crain posted:

UUUGHHHHH

NG++ spoilers

Omg Iguazu is such a loving bitch of a last boss. I've tried a bunch of builds and I just can't complete it on Phase 3 cause I'm so far burned down on AP. Even my usual face melt mech is falling short. Mostly it's because of trying to deal with locking onto the right loving target since he spawns so many fuckers with him. Sure in phase 2 it's just two C-spiders but in Phase-1 they keep getting in the way. Not sure what to really do.

Rapid boost to avoid his first shot in phase 1, then your weapons should be able to one shot the little trash guys he brings with him. Then focus on him.

Phase two, go for the back right of the two things he brings with him and focus on it but make sure to keep distance from the main guys melee attacks. You should be able to knock it out in a stagger or two. Do the other then. Then go after the main guy.

For his phase three, stay distant. The melee is the only real threat. Also conserve ammo where possible. My first run ended in me punching him to death which was a fully sick way to end the game

Stayed vague on names bc it’s a pain to manage spoilers on a phone but it should be clear what I meant :)

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

roomtone posted:

It's a bit different than what Dark Souls usually does - it'll give you an area first, and some places you can loop back on when you hit the first wall. You can go and get stronger, get better, doing easier things, until you're ready. And then yeah, the difficulty curve falls drastically for a while afterwards usually.

In this, it's just 5 minutes of gameplay then WALL. You can't respec or really do anything except keep hitting it until it falls.

It's me, the guy who can't beat the helicopter. IronicallyTrying 15 times or so pushed me over Steam's 2 hr refund so I'm stuck with it and it's frustrating that I just can't play the game; there's literally nothing to do except load it up and die a couple times, then try again. If FROM just wants you to fight the helicopter with stock mech, why waste time with the entire "mission" leading to that boss? Nothing can change, there's nothing to collect or upgrade, game should just just start you right at the boss ona new game

Also is there a way to refill ammo in the first mission i I'm missing?Or is the respawning at the checkpoint from the bss fight the refill.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 9, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

I just never buy the weight control os tune

Thrusters have their own weight limit. The weight control tuning is about overloading your legs, not your thrusters. :eng101:

Too much weight and your load bar will be fine but your boost will be doo doo.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PageMaster posted:

It's me, the guy who can't beat the helicopter. IronicallyTrying 15 times or so pushed me over Steam's 2 hr refund so I'm stuck with it and it's frustrating that I just can't play the game; there's literally nothing to do except load it up and die a couple times, then try again. If FROM just wants you to fight the helicopter with stock mech, why waste time with the entire "mission" leading to that boss? Nothing can change, there's nothing to collect or upgrade, game should just just start you right at the boss ona new game

Show us a video of your attempts and some of us sweaty mech-fucklers can give you pointers. There's lots of general advice like be aggressive and use Assault Boost to get in his face early and often, and stay under him, and the like, but it'll never be as good as someone John Maddening a replay.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

PageMaster posted:

what is your approach specifically? the main thing with the helicopter is you basically have to go in with the melee weapon, you can't really outshoot it unless you are great at dodging. boost right into its face and go ham

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Crain posted:

UUUGHHHHH

NG++ spoilers

I got stuck for a bit on this one.

The first phase everyone has lovely awful accuracy and the only thing that hurts you is Iguazu's charged laser. Just keep moving and pick off the trash one by one because they will build stagger on you if you ignore them.

Second phase just burst him down. The spiders despawn when you push him to half health and from there you get into a dps race unless you're a god at dodging (I did not figure out the right pattern of dodging his melee unfortunately).

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Eej posted:

I got stuck for a bit on this one.

(I did not figure out the right pattern of dodging his melee unfortunately).

just fly up into the air and then fall, all of the attacks will fly over you

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’ve only beaten chapter 2 (fuckin’ hell Sea Spider is every chapter end boss a new brick wall? Because if yes I love it) but man I really would like a shotgun with more than one round.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah it's kinda weird that they have a tube mag, but take so long to cycle. I guess at least you don't have to reload the magazine super slowly 1 round at a time.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Crain posted:

UUUGHHHHH

NG++ spoilers

I did heavy tetra legs/gats/plasma missiles. Get up in his poo poo and ignore everything else but him. Turn on your hard lock and never come off him. Phase 3 you'll get the rhythm of fairly easily, keeping your AP up and using repairs sparingly until then helps if you're getting blasted. Assault armor is your friend, so is pulse armor, hell terminal armor can come in clutch if you keep it to last phase.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I was taking pictures of the bosses so I can make builds based on them but one thing I noticed on the NG++ end boss is this emblem:

Ibis has one too, but it's just a standard Institute decal.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

PageMaster posted:

Also is there a way to refill ammo in the first mission i I'm missing?Or is the respawning at the checkpoint from the bss fight the refill.

I went back to replay the intro mission to grind S-ranks, and it's pretty vindicating knocking out an S-rank on the first run. The strategy is pretty simple - just lock your camera (with R3), Assault Boost into kissing range (with L3), and give it a chop-chop with your left blade and unload everything else while you awkwardly wait for your blade to recharge. The rifle can barely scratch its paint and the missiles are hardly better, but the real damage comes from the sword. I think it should take about three slashes to stagger, and it stays in the red long enough to get another couple swings in. Just remember to tap the trigger twice, to do two light swings, instead of holding it for the charged dash-swing, since two lights do more damage than one heavy. The tempo of the fight is that you can Assault Boost straight into its face, get off one or two rounds of slicing, and then recharge and repeat when it wanders off again.

Looking back after S-ranking all missions, I think maybe 80% or more of my movement is Assault Boosting, especially during AC duels and boss fights. Missiles track where you are, and not where you're going, so Assault Boosting straight into the shooter dodges them pretty consistently. From there you can kick people in the head, and follow up with close-quarters weapons, and then maybe kick them in the head again.

And yes, respawning after a checkpoint tops you off completely. with no penalties (beyond mission ranking).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
'Raven! You are the only one who can complete this survey!!'

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

'Fight back Raven!'

The gently caress do you think I'm going to do.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Oh hey another unique NG+ mission, fight against two high ranked AC's huh? EZ PZ-"
"Wait, I'm picking up another AC!"
"Let's see how far you can fly on borrowed wings."

Actually the best ambush that the game has thrown at me thus far. I am absolutely adoring NG+

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
621 is the goodest boy

https://twitter.com/halfere/status/1700126840306983224?s=19

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Two laser pistols

A song bird and a laser dagger

And all the speed I can cram onto my kasuar super jumpers and ve-20b

It’s a tight fit but man it feels good to be flyin around at 353; drowning foes in a torrent of laser fire punctuated with chunky song bird blasts and dagger follow ups

Game rules

Gotta go faaaaaaaaaaast

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, I almost got past the helicopter on my first try but failed a missile dodge and then went to about number 5 or 6 where had a good run and took it down. I don't know if I was actually playing better or just got lucky, but the timing just worked out where I could boost into its face and get some sword hits in rather than it managing to fly away at the last second. It's definitely a rude awakening how quickly its missiles melt your AP, and I haven't played AC since the PS2 games so I kept reflexively trying to bunnyhop instead of quickboosting.
Sometimes I forget to hit the boost button when I start moving - I wish it was a proper toggle on/off rather than automatically shutting off and needing to be turned on again every time I move.

Despite all the changes, though, the physics still feel pretty similar to the old AC games. There's the same feeling of weight, assault boost feels nearly the same as overboost, and the reticule tracking and locking on to targets seems like it's basically the same as the little lock-on bar that used to fill up and go red before your arms would be able to lead a target in your FCS box. Like, it's different, but having recently finished dark souls 2 this definitely feels and plays like an AC game and not souls.
Some of the UI elements seem a bit minimalist and escape my attention when I'm fighting: maybe it's because I'm playing on a laptop and don't have a nice big screen, or maybe it's because I'm still getting to grips with remembering to press all the buttons.

Mouse and keyboard control is pretty decent, what bindings is everyone using? I have weapons on default, jump on shift, boost on alt, quickboost on space.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Quickboost automatically turns on boosters so use that instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I put left shoulder and right shoulder as mouse5 and mouse4 and that's about it.

AC6 pumping out some kick rear end fanart

https://twitter.com/las91214/status/1700456642075328991?s=19