Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ludwig won in 2022 (hopefully the streak is broken)

There's still time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This Ludwig guy is the first winner I’ve legitimately never heard of so he’s clearly doing a good job keeping his head down.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

This Ludwig guy is the first winner I’ve legitimately never heard of so he’s clearly doing a good job keeping his head down.

Nah he’s one of Bowser’s nepo babies.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
E3 doxxed every journalist who attended it but at The Game Awards you can just walk on stage and nobody will stop you.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

E3 doxxed every journalist who attended it but at The Game Awards you can just walk on stage and nobody will stop you.

Such is the power of Bill Clinton

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Did other industry expos have booth babes or was that unique to video games?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

They absolutely do, the car industry especially.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Heran Bago posted:

Tech doesn't as much any more, at least not the conventions I used to go to.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Heran Bago posted:

definitely not unique to video games lol

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Herstory Begins Now posted:

definitely not unique to video games lol

Yeah Video Games got it from other industries, but I feel like they pushed it to its sleaziest levels in the early 2000s.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Good chance that others still do lol

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Heran Bago posted:

yeah I've seen booth babes for med tech expos

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah Video Games got it from other industries, but I feel like they pushed it to its sleaziest levels in the early 2000s.

Na not even close lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

i have a feeling that could have happened at many E3 events and no one would've been able to stop it

like, especially the Konami 2009 conference

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Tak Fuuji would welcome you with open arms as long as you aren't a twat

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The 7th Guest posted:

i have a feeling that could have happened at many E3 events and no one would've been able to stop it

like, especially the Konami 2009 conference
Honestly it probably did happen at Konami 2K9 and we all just assumed it was part of the show

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Heran Bago posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2016-12-29-sex-at-ces-an-uncomfortable-coupling.html

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly video game booth babes were among the most normal and video games only had them for a few years

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

There's a bit in an old, old Simpsons episode where Homer hits on a booth babe at some car maker's display, she says something flirty and laughs it off, then the very next guy who stops by says the same thing and she has the exact same reaction down to the giggle. So if nothing else it was common enough for Simpsons to make fun of like 30 years ago, before video game companies started running with it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah literally one of the very first commercial arcade games was promoted with a automotive-style scantily-clad model

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Nutting Associates is quite a name.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

You’re both wrong and sexist that is Sharon Nutting who co-created Computer Space with her associates, Alan Cumming and Jason “Jizz” Guzzler

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah literally one of the very first commercial arcade games was promoted with a automotive-style scantily-clad model

Arcades did this all the time, and it was still how videogame advertising was done in the late 2000s. I remember having an argument over that one Soul Calibur 5 ad that was just a shot of Ivy’s cleavage. The PR twat I was arguing with said they needed ads like that to get mainstream attention.

That PR twat works for Sony now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

Arcades did this all the time, and it was still how videogame advertising was done in the late 2000s. I remember having an argument over that one Soul Calibur 5 ad that was just a shot of Ivy’s cleavage. The PR twat I was arguing with said they needed ads like that to get mainstream attention.

That PR twat works for Sony now.

I mean they were right - it gets them mainstream attention, as in opinion pieces going “what the gently caress, gaming”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i mean have you seen any pinball table

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i mean have you seen any pinball table
content warning: phallic imagery

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

just remember to put the seat down after use or she'll hate you

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Everybody knows that Rockstar Games doesn't give a gently caress about their older games but it's always entertaining to see how blatant some of the cash grabs are. The Steam versions of Manhunt, Max Payne 2 and Midnight Club II originally came with their own DRM. You don't need that if you put the game on Steam, so obviously you would patch it out, right? RIGHT?!?

Turns out, working on a game does cost money and that would affect the bottom line, so Rockstar did the next best thing. They released the Steam versions with cracked executables. They literally sold the versions cracked by Razor 1911 on Steam. Probably still better than a official remaster would ever be.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/gaming/rockstar-games-reportedly-sold-games-with-razor-1911-cracks-on-steam/

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There's something extremely funny about stealing pirates' hard work and personally I'm all for it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's something extremely funny about stealing pirates' hard work and personally I'm all for it.

legit consumers getting hosed over by them using dodgy cracks that don't remove all the game breaking anti-anti-crack stuff is bad, actually

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I feel like Nintendo using roms instead of their lot check roms is funnier.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kirbysuperstar posted:

legit consumers getting hosed over by them using dodgy cracks that don't remove all the game breaking anti-anti-crack stuff is bad, actually

well ideally they would steal the pirates' hard work and then actually do qc afterwards

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"But that costs money, and who would want to spend money doing QC on a dead game no one wants to play?"- Rockstar, provably

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

rockstar, you don't gotta hand it to em

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Blur studio who used to do like every crazy E3 announce trailer had the most insane parties during Siggraph, a vfx convention.

I'm talking like that scene in Blade where the vampires are jamming out and blood comes down from the ceiling. Or walls made out of fabric with naked models dancing in them so you'd just see silhouettes of titties and rear end dancing around as you walked through the party.

Video games used to be a very wild place to be in compared to today.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

well ideally they would steal the pirates' hard work and then actually do qc afterwards

yeah that ain't how rockstar or take 2 work

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The funny thing for Manhunt is that it gets more complicated than the issues Steam players experienced being the fault of the cracked executable.

They did ship with it, it's true, but Max Payne 2's cracked executable was discovered first, so shortly thereafter Rockstar quietly patched the affected titles and restored the original executables (but left the cracked ones in as "testapp"). This then gets into the real issue of why the game was believed to be broken and riddled with compatibility issues due to age: it's all actually mostly on the SecuROM protection they used. There were essentially two main layers: the first layer checked to see if the original disc was present in the CD drive. The second layer checked to see if the first layer was being tampered with, and if it was, it would deliberately break multiple aspects of the game in sneaky and dastardly manners, including breaking doors/gates, disabling controls, making the player take more damage, making the hunter AI always on maximum alertness (it's supposed to be a gradient with more and more chances to taper off as you get further away from them and hide for long enough, but they would always act as if they were right next to you, e.g. seeing through shadowed hiding spots at any range), turning off memory clearing to deliberately induce a memory leak, and so on. There were even some that were disabled to try and get hackers to accidentally enable them and ship a broken crack that way.

The cracks that actually came out bypassed all of that nonsense by simply spoofing the first layer to return a successful check, so the second layer never had a chance to kick in. Rockstar's own supplied .exe instead just bypasses the disc check (since you're not going to have a CD with a digital copy, obviously) and... that tripped all the anti-piracy routines they had programmed. (The Razor 1911 cracked .exe provided started having issues because it's the one made before Windows Vista even came out, and Razor 1911 had put an encrypted signature in an unused portion of the code that wouldn't have done anything back on XP but Vista had a new security check from Microsoft that happened to look directly in that value and so testapp.exe would be broken, too. Razor 1911 did actually do more cracks that no longer had the signature, but they aren't the ones provided by Rockstar).

I guess the upshot of all this is that now that people know what's going on they've been able to provide clean patches so people can play their Steam copies of Manhunt on modern systems, but there's still nothing official from Rockstar fixing their products.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't that from the era when cracks were generally much safer and less likely to break your computer than the terrible copy protection?

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 10, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Poil posted:

Isn't that from the era when cracks were generally much safer and less likely to break your computer than the terrible copyprotection?

More about the copy protection than the cracks. But yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Poil posted:

Isn't that from the era when cracks were generally much safer and less likely to break your computer than the terrible copy protection?

It was the age of StarForce, TAGES, FADE, etc yeah