Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm considering a play-through of the Zelda series. Or at the very least, the ones I haven't actually played before + the ones I really liked (so basically all of them...). I've never fully played Zelda 1. A friend had it when we were kids, and I think we did 2 dungeons together but that was it. I know when people talk about it nowadays, it's a lot of "I can't believe I remembered to bomb that random rock in the random mountain screen to find important item. I couldn't do that without a guide today."

So is there a good guide out there for Zelda 1 that people like to use? I'm thinking there's got to be something that is vague enough to not be a hand-holdy, step-by-step walkthrough, but isn't completely obtuse.
Zelda 1 is actually a tiny map, by modern standards. Burning every bush and bombing every rock is achievable, if a bit tedious. Though it certainly isn't required for the normal quest (second quest was designed specifically for 80s kids with lots of time and nothing better to do, so it is much more "unfair"). In the normal quest, just look for stuff that looks a bit out-of-place, and then push, bomb, burn, and whistle them.

But I don't really recommend trying to 100% it on your first run. Just explore and try to find the dungeons and get their items, so that you can explore more and find more dungeons and get more items, and repeat until you murder Ganon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Docjowles posted:

A real pro ancient FAQ also has a wild rumor about some hidden character or level with no proof because it was 1995 and there was no way to upload screenshots

I miss the days of there being legendary secrets in every game that some kid’s cousin showed him on a sleepover :corsair:
Ok, but there really *was* a secret island with sexy ladies in a hot tub in Toejam and Earl.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The island was in the hot tub?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
DLC should be you fighting as a Yiga to kill Zelda.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

DLC should be you fighting as a Yiga to kill Zelda.

DLC is that you get to finally play Zelda but only as the Light Dragon circling around Hyrule endlessly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

DLC is that you get to finally play Zelda but only as the Light Dragon circling around Hyrule endlessly.

Press A to roar, press B to shed tear.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you play for over 200 hours Link appears on a horrifying Zonai contraption, lands on you, attacks you for a random part and proceeds to gently caress off immediately.

The rumors that if you play for over 1,000 hours you get to do the final boss fight will eventually prove false, but only after multiple people have attempted to do it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cojawfee posted:

10 minute cooldown for each

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Cojawfee posted:

Finally after months a fun new quote for the thread title.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ardryn posted:

If you play for over 200 hours Link appears on a horrifying Zonai contraption, lands on you, attacks you for a random part and proceeds to gently caress off immediately.

The rumors that if you play for over 1,000 hours you get to do the final boss fight will eventually prove false, but only after multiple people have attempted to do it.

ToTK DLC is the new Desert Bus.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Docjowles posted:

A real pro ancient FAQ also has a wild rumor about some hidden character or level with no proof because it was 1995 and there was no way to upload screenshots

I miss the days of there being legendary secrets in every game that some kid’s cousin showed him on a sleepover :corsair:

Gaming was so much god drat better back in the day.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
How many shields would you all recommend I take into the final fight?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
0 shields

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

All of my equipment slots were permanently full after like the first few hours of the game, not sure how you would have less than like 6 shields at all times by the end

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

What's a shield? I only have portable mine carts and flamethrower holders.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I mean I have 10 shield slots but I have never completed a flurry rush or parry outside of that one shrine so it might not be that important for me but I heard I needed a lot of them so...

I've mostly been using them for things like "put hydrant on shield" or "ruby on shield for warmth" and sometimes because they look pretty (ring wreath shield, Zora shield).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I had fewer shield slots at the end and can't complete a parry to save my life, and it was perfectly fine. I think I maybe broke one in the final boss (skipping some optional fights along the way), it was way more about having the right recovery items on me.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's always wise to bring in plenty of launch platforms.

I suppose you could use them in combat too but time not spinning to win is time wasted imho

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

With about 170 hours into this I’m a bit sad that I’m about to be done (at least my “play every night” phase).

After doing all shrines and temples, and fighting Ganondorf, was still really into appreciating the game so I decided to go on horseback along every road and obvious turnoff I hadn’t done before to try to finish all quests (except the Compendium) and caves. I’ll probably also do the Wells.

I thought about finishing out Monster Hunting / Boss Monsters, but I think that’s feel a bit too grindy. Especially having to hover bike around the depths for hours. I’m also a bit annoyed I didn’t know Groves had chests so I’m missing some armor but oh well.

Great game, beautiful, tons of fun. I think the BotW Master Sword/Guardians/Hyrule sequencing was a higher peak than TotK - IMO nothing can replace smashing Guardians to the tune of the metallicy-reverby sound of a powered up Master Sword laid against the Hyrule Castle music.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 10, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Finally jumped in the hole and defeated ganondorf.

Final boss reminded me of ganondorf on smash bros: long wind ups, hard hits, and deceptively quick movement. Fun fight, especially how he can perfect dodge and counter flurries sort of. No match for the Lynel bow though. Thing wrecked the last two phases no problem.

Nice, satisfying ending too. Minus link losing his shirt.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Mustached Demon posted:

Nice, satisfying ending too. Minus link losing his shirt.

:hmmyes: I went out of my way to create the dumbest loving outfit in Hyrule, and I deserve to see my dopey looking motherfucker rescue Zelda. My one and only "Boo, gently caress you, game" of Tears of the Kingdom.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Akratic Method posted:

:hmmyes: I went out of my way to create the dumbest loving outfit in Hyrule, and I deserve to see my dopey looking motherfucker rescue Zelda. My one and only "Boo, gently caress you, game" of Tears of the Kingdom.

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to throw on the Links Awakening bobblehead for the last interactive scene.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

no broccoli please posted:

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to throw on the Links Awakening bobblehead for the last interactive scene.

I had the Fierce Deity Mask on, it was great.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Beat the game, here are my thoughts.

The story was superb and the end fight was hype as hell. I got all the shrines and all the lightroots, plus all the Sages Wills. I only did about 2/3 of Addison, half the wells and still missing 60 bubbul boys.

I enjoyed how they packed interesting side quests into each point of interest that were genuinely fun. The atmosphere of Hyrule rebuilding was magnificent and it was great to see people have hope again after BOTW.

I think the Sages were well done. It was fun being a gang wandering around Hyrule getting up to mischief. I got so used to my boys that I kept missing having them during the final fight, though I understand why.

Overall it's a must own for the Switch. I need to go back and finish Breath of the Wild now to get a final bit of Zelda.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A moment I thought worked really well was that if you end up trying to get Link help teach a history lesson at the school in Hateno Village, the kids straight up don't believe the story about the Calamity until they see evidence of it.

You could take a pessimistic view and say it's a dangerous sign of people not learning from history (except they do! They're literally learning history! :haw:), but I preferred to look on it as that after 100 years of the Calamity looming over everybody's head as well as the 10,000 years of awareness that it was always a possibility, you have people now who never had to experience that fear and dread, and I think that's super :)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I really like how it was a single ancient mural - that only depicts the Ancient Calamity, not the Great Calamity - that convinced them, instead of having Link just be like "oh and by the way I was and am that fuckin' hero with the sword"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I really like how it was a single ancient mural - that only depicts the Ancient Calamity, not the Great Calamity - that convinced them, instead of having Link just be like "oh and by the way I was and am that fuckin' hero with the sword"

Probably thought the sword was fake what with the talus heart stapled to it.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I think the reason why is there's probably an agreement between Link and Zelda to keep their identities a secret from the children, given that they only know her as "Ms. Zelda."

As much as I think it's dumb that people don't recognize Link, there is a good running gag in them still not believing him even after he shows them the Master Sword. Man gets disrespected just because he's a short king.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Donkringel posted:

I think the Sages were well done. It was fun being a gang wandering around Hyrule getting up to mischief. I got so used to my boys that I kept missing having them during the final fight, though I understand why.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Lucis Kingdom

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I beat the game last night, when I decided to see if I was ready or if I'd need more sundelion food (it took up like a third of my food slots) or different weapons. I ran/snuck through most of the depths to avoid fighting, so that probably helped.

I did not break a shield in the final boss battle! Not once!

I also never got in a flurry rush and don't think I ever parried successfully, so... no shield durability issues to be had, I suppose.

Far more useful than a shield was using the master sword as a baseball bat to send gloom back into Ganon. I got it pretty early in the game and figured out that it was very useful against Phantom Ganon so used that strategy here a lot. Also a Lynel bow and some bombs made very quick work of the second phase.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nintendo Direct tomorrow, IGN thinks we’re getting the long awaited Wind Waker HD port…

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

we won’t

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Agreed.

It’s too close to the TOTK release, they won’t want it to interfere with that game selling over the holidays.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

effika posted:

I beat the game last night, when I decided to see if I was ready or if I'd need more sundelion food (it took up like a third of my food slots) or different weapons. I ran/snuck through most of the depths to avoid fighting, so that probably helped.

I did not break a shield in the final boss battle! Not once!

I also never got in a flurry rush and don't think I ever parried successfully, so... no shield durability issues to be had, I suppose.

Far more useful than a shield was using the master sword as a baseball bat to send gloom back into Ganon. I got it pretty early in the game and figured out that it was very useful against Phantom Ganon so used that strategy here a lot. Also a Lynel bow and some bombs made very quick work of the second phase.

Damnit I should have known you could knock magical balls back at him. Instead I just filled his face full of gibbo shards.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Anyone played Prodigal? It looks like the Oracle games from what I can see, but I haven't looked into it too much.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm not 100% sure why, but I remember thinking it was really good, reaching a new area, and getting stuck. Something didn't click and I couldn't figure out a puzzle because of it or something.

I would recommend and will probably come back to it some time soon

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Never heard of it but the graphics style grabs me, it really does look like the Oracle style. Looks like it's not on Switch, unfortunately, that seems like a perfect style for playing handheld rather than on a big screen.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So I am 150 hours into this game, 91 shrines, finished the four regional phenomena. I just now learned that if you talk to Cece while wearing the Hylian Hood, you can put it down like on the game cover and Amiibo. Lmao. Never in a million years would have discovered that on my own.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I was terribly late to the party in terms of getting a Switch, and am currently playing through BotW for the first time, almost completely blind. I figured I should finish it first before moving onto TotK. It hasn't been too bad thus far: one more shrine and I'll be able to get my eighth heart, most of my deaths so far were to Guardians before I got the upgraded bombs (turns out horses can't outrun lasers either!), and I've spent a lot of money on clothing, the house in Hateno Village and all it's furnishings. Found three of the memories, and then ran into my first Lynel past the Lanayru East Gate. Jesus Christ. These guys don't gently caress around, do they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't play through mostly blind, the best first thing Zelda says is "Link? Open your eyes, Link!"