Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Whenever I watch Statham I always remember that the first time I saw him was in Snatch, around 2004? or so.

While I liked him in that film, somehow I never imagined him becoming a huge action hero. But damned if he didn’t pull it off in a major way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

B-Rock452 posted:

I am kind of ashamed to admit but Wrath of Man is probably one of my top five movies that have come out in the past few years.

I wish I knew why Wrath of Man was so divisive. I don't think it was objectively great, by any means, but I really found myself engrossed in the world and thought the story and characters were compelling, despite its flaws.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I just kinda threw Die Hard and the Has Fallen trilogy into similar movie categories, but Willis had actual range in his prime.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Den of Thieves and Plane are good slop. Top choices for a Saturday night.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wonder when Statham is going to show up and do some manly crying in a WWII epic and claim an oscar.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

null_pointer posted:

I wish I knew why Wrath of Man was so divisive. I don't think it was objectively great, by any means, but I really found myself engrossed in the world and thought the story and characters were compelling, despite its flaws.

It's the absolute lack of payoff. He spends the whole movie trying to position himself for revenge then it's just hey, it was me. Also it's happening now. Improvise a soluition in the middle of a not very good shootout. There was an interesting idea for the big set piece at the end, with the guy laying out the plan intercut with the plan going wrong, but it's not tightly done enough. There's no real rythmn, flair or energy to that entire last act, as if they lost another shooting location or had the budget cut, forcing them to improvise a finale.

So you're left with a pretty slow burn movie that focuses on one guy for a huge chunk of its length, only for that one guy to not really do all that much in the finale. I think, in the first version of the script, Statham was a much more minor character. We saw the events leading up from lots of different perspectives and Statham was just one of them. Perhaps the other security guards, who all hint at having interesting backstories, get theirs fleshed out. Then Statham signs on, the most famous person in the movie by an order of magnitude (gently caress off, Clint Eastwood's son) and he becomes the focus of the runtime.

Disposable Scud posted:

Den of Thieves and Plane are good slop. Top choices for a Saturday night.

I was astonished how good Den of Thieves is. It's basically Heat, but with bro-dudes instead of really good character actors and it works so much better than it has any right to. What surprised me, given that it was a first time director, was how good all the little character interactions are. Minor characters like barmen, security guards, receptionists...they all speak and act like real people. It shows impressive attention to detail. Also, if you're an MMA fan, you can play 'spot the famous fighter or trainer.'

well why not posted:

I wonder when Statham is going to show up and do some manly crying in a WWII epic and claim an oscar.

He'd be great in one of those late career westerns where he plays an ageing gunfighter who's legacy of violence is both a source of fame and a curse. The sort Ray Stevenson sadly won't get to play. :rip:

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 30, 2023

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Wrath of Man is a remake of a French flick, I thought

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Geostorm and Hunter Killer loving rule.

Last Seen Alive however may be one of the worst movies I've ever seen

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

brocked posted:

Wrath of Man is a remake of a French flick, I thought

It is and, interestingly, it seems the French film is half an hour shorter. I'd be curious to see it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Butler is interesting because he’s both a solid action star yet also has been in some of the worst movies I’ve ever seen (Last Seen Alive, Ps I love you, movie 43)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pillowpants posted:

Butler is interesting because he’s both a solid action star yet also has been in some of the worst movies I’ve ever seen (Last Seen Alive, Ps I love you, movie 43)

He also single-handedly ruined the Phantom of the Opera movie, and was dreadful in Dracula 2000.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Snowman_McK posted:

I was astonished how good Den of Thieves is. It's basically Heat, but with bro-dudes instead of really good character actors and it works so much better than it has any right to. What surprised me, given that it was a first time director, was how good all the little character interactions are. Minor characters like barmen, security guards, receptionists...they all speak and act like real people. It shows impressive attention to detail. Also, if you're an MMA fan, you can play 'spot the famous fighter or trainer.'

I loved some of the locations. These bros aren't meeting in fancy cinematic locales. You get a sweaty looking Mens Wherehouse.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Snowman_McK posted:

yep, it is a very enjoyable movie and deserves more recognition. its obviously not groundbreaking in any way but its solid all the way through

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Been looking for the John Wick 4 thread and it seems rather short for a John Wick 4 thread. I guess I'll post in that one when I have finished the movie but I thoroughly enjoy Reeve's "Oh, it's gonna be one of those fights, huh?" kind of energy when he gets thrown through his first glass panel.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just saw Equalizer 3, drat that was dissappointing. IT was the complete opposite of John Wick 4, where that movie went into complete nonstop action this went into way too much story. It's a new setting so they try to make you care for the characters but they spent so much time with just story poo poo. I counted there is only 3 action scenes in a 2 hour movie. And they are not as entertaining or as long as some of the sequences in the previous movie. Total runtime of action would be maybe 20 minutes in a 1h50m movie.

-Denzel/Robert Mcall is still a great character and can turn into a cold assassin + completely sell it.
-Soundtrack is used very rarely but slaps so hard, like some heavy rear end bass if you are in a nice theather.
-The few action scenes that are there are quite good but as I said very short.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Haha goddamn McBain 1991 with Christopher Walken getting the band back together to *checks notes* ah assassinate and overthrow the President of Columbia is a loving Republican fever dream.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hollismason posted:

Haha goddamn McBain 1991 with Christopher Walken getting the band back together to *checks notes* ah assassinate and overthrow the President of Columbia is a loving Republican fever dream.

McBain is amazing oh my god, the part where the president announces that going forward all US currency will be colored red white and blue.

Speaking of campy action movies with a character named McBain...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MznTAWMghqo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Watched The Devil Conspiracy last night and it was astonishingly stupid and extremely fun. The don't make big dumb movies like End of Days often anymore and holy poo poo did this deliver. Bad acting, dope monsters, it has it all.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I've been watching a bunch of Chinese direct to video action movies on iqiyi and almost all of them are terrible, but I found two which kick rear end: Fight Against Evil 1 and 2, aka North East Police Story. Really good fight scenes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm sticking to action movies this month before gorging myself on horror movies next month. I watched Action USA tonight and holy poo poo what a loving movie. Just fantastic. It was cheesy, it was action packed, it had incredible stunts. It was genuinely really funny at parts. Excellent movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hollismason posted:

I'm sticking to action movies this month before gorging myself on horror movies next month. I watched Action USA tonight and holy poo poo what a loving movie. Just fantastic. It was cheesy, it was action packed, it had incredible stunts. It was genuinely really funny at parts. Excellent movie.

SORRY ABOUT YOUR HOUSE PAL!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Last night I watched Raw Deal, and I guess the last time I saw this was when it was in its initial run in the theaters.

Given that we recently discussed all the times Arnold is this dude with a thick accent and there is no explanation given (which was pretty much disproven, being that there often is a reason given) I had to giggle a bit at this one.

He introduces himself as “Joseph P. Brenner” and okay, maybe that’s the name they gave him for the witness protection program.

It shouldn’t help him too much as he tries to fit into 1980s American life, as a small-town sheriff, but whatever.

Early on there’s a scene where Arnold has a back-and-forth with his old FBI supervisor, which is classic action movie exposition and combined with his accent, it’s fantastic.

“You remember the case! Da guy kidnapped an eleven year-old guuurl! He molested, muteelated, and moirdered her!”

At least the FBI guy is played by Darren McGavin.

Moments later the McGavin character asks Schwarzenegger “Do you remember my son?”

Schwarzenegger remembers a few details about him, and then asks, “How is he?”

*dramatic pause* “He’s dead.

At this point there’s a wild fade-to-black, that then fades back in on the same scene. Holy loving poo poo.

He’s give an opportunity to come out of witness protection and get back into the FBI, if he can successfully pose as a hitman/heavy type and infiltrate this crimelord’s organization.

Schwarzenegger’s initial step towards accomplishing this is by faking his own death. His method of doing this is to park his sheriff’s car at the “petrol camp storage yard”, driving off on a conveniently-placed motorcycle, and then shooting a flaregun at the storage tanks, causing what looks like a fuel-air bomb explosion.

At this point, I knew I was loving hooked, and that I might also need to buy this film on blu-ray.

Later, there is a scene where hitmen who work for a mob boss attempt to assassinate another mob boss by hiding in a white school bus marked “Riverside Boys Club,” releasing the latches at the top of the school bus windows, and sticking the barrels of their guns outside and opening fire as the bus drives by the mob boss’s car. loving beautiful.

80s action film rating: A+

And bonus points for Robert Davi.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 27, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just looked up Raw Deal, and :lol: at the poster using the exact same font as the one for Predator.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Raw Deal is hilarious in many ways. I have never thought about it like that, but Arnold's character must have sat down and wondered "Now what would convince people that I actually got killed?" and he arrived at a small nuke. Like, nothing else will suffice, it's almost meta-commentary on the kind of character Arnold is famous for.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Raw Deal owns when seen not as an Arnie film, but as a pulp crime flick featuring Arnie.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

It's not super-action, but I've been immensely enjoying Don Lee's beast cop trilogy: (soon to be a quadrilogy, apparently) The Outlaws, the Roundup, and the Roundup: No Way Out. Kinda 80s feeling copaganda where he rolls through town like an angry bowling ball cracking ribs and knocking out gangsters with a single tap. Funny too!

For more Korean boxing fun, I can also recommend the series Bloodhounds... has some great fight scenes (and a couple stomach-turning knife guys) and some surprising moves but a good series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love Raw Deal. I discovered it a few years ago and it was like finding a $20 bill in your couch cushions or something because I thought I'd seen every Arnie movie but apparently it slipped past me. Classic Arnold from start to finish.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Raw Deal also has my favorite "loading up all the guns before the final shootout" scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NhqW4zZ5QA

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lumbermouth posted:

Raw Deal also has my favorite "loading up all the guns before the final shootout" scene

ASMR for action fans

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

brocked posted:

It's not super-action, but I've been immensely enjoying Don Lee's beast cop trilogy: (soon to be a quadrilogy, apparently) The Outlaws, the Roundup, and the Roundup: No Way Out. Kinda 80s feeling copaganda where he rolls through town like an angry bowling ball cracking ribs and knocking out gangsters with a single tap. Funny too!

For more Korean boxing fun, I can also recommend the series Bloodhounds... has some great fight scenes (and a couple stomach-turning knife guys) and some surprising moves but a good series.

Don Lee rules. Roundup 2 hasn't come out on streaming yet which is making me sad

Unstoppable is another great movie he is on, more of a slow burn until near the end when he just goes beast mode on everyone

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Lumbermouth posted:

Insane: they shot all the weapons handling like it was a stand-in, but no stand-in has those arms.

Screenplay by Normal Wexler AND Gary DeVore.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Remulak posted:

Insane: they shot all the weapons handling like it was a stand-in, but no stand-in has those arms.

Screenplay by Normal Wexler AND Gary DeVore.

I greatly enjoyed how they made sure Arnold's biceps stayed in frame, that's a movie that knows how to deliver the goods

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's one thing I miss from the 80's - the load up scenes. And it's not just regular guns, oh no, they're these weird experimental ones that never saw mass production because they were worthless garbage but were chosen because they look cool. If they were regular guns they slapped on some attachments to it.

Such horrible gun-nut trash but I love it. I'll feast on that slop.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

B-Rock452 posted:

Don Lee rules. Roundup 2 hasn't come out on streaming yet which is making me sad

Unstoppable is another great movie he is on, more of a slow burn until near the end when he just goes beast mode on everyone

This! Unstoppable was great - I love when a movie thug does the smart thing and just gets out of the hero's way

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Watching Hero and the Terror and honestly I have to say its one of my favorite Norris movies.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://shoutfactory.com/en-ca/collections/action/products/the-jackie-chan-collection-vol-2-1983-1993

Yes please

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I am watching Undefeatable with Cynthia Rothrock and it is insane and really loving terrible.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just watched Raw Deal for the first time tonight thanks to this thread. Excellent 80's action schlock. Lots of great shots of henchmen throwing themselves off things after being shot. Especially enjoyed the mook who gets shot and then falls inside the operating rock crusher.

My only disappointment is that Arnie never says "they gave me a Raw Deal!!" at the beginning when he's explaining to his drunk wife that just threw a cake at his head why he got kicked out of the FBI.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Wheels On Meals is a stone cold classic

The City Hunter homage to Street Fighter is insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I know everybody is talking about The Rock or John Cena or Bautista as the most successful/best/most interesting wrestler-turned-actor, but I just had to pause Becky to give a shout-out to Robert Maillet. His wrestling career was nothing to write home about but I grew up seeing him now and again, going from a generic monster to a goofy weirdo, never making it into big programs. But dude has been in a metric poo poo ton of movies, many of them terrific, and he is always noticeable in them. I am always happy to see him, thrilled when he actually gets lines, and now Becky actually gives him a role with some range. He's fantastic and I wish he'd get more roles than just the quiet heavy. Obviously he's going to be the heavy because duh, but he has a lot more to offer than being a hundred feet tall.

Also, Becky is fantastic in general. Funny, gnarly, Kevin James is insanely good.