Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I am a long time Linux user that recently switched to Windows 11.Back when I was using Linux, I would just walk away from my computer, and after 5 minutes, the screen would turn off, and then after 15 minutes the entire computer would go to sleep. Then, when I want to use my computer again, I can just come back to it, wiggle the mouse, then my desktop would come back. I want Windows 11 to work the same way, but it just won't do it. I go to the settings and have the screen saver set to 5 minutes, and also in th4e power settings I have it set to turn off the monitor after 5 minutes and sleep after 15. Yet, when I walk away from my computer, I come back 15 minutes later or 20 minutes later and the screen is still on. Sometimes it does turn off, but most of the time it just doesn't. Also, sometimes when it goes into sleep, it will just randomly wake up after limke sa few hours for seemingly no reason. Is this a known issue with Windows 11, and is there some way I can just have it work the way it's supposed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

School of How posted:

I am a long time Linux user that recently switched to Windows 11.Back when I was using Linux, I would just walk away from my computer, and after 5 minutes, the screen would turn off, and then after 15 minutes the entire computer would go to sleep. Then, when I want to use my computer again, I can just come back to it, wiggle the mouse, then my desktop would come back. I want Windows 11 to work the same way, but it just won't do it. I go to the settings and have the screen saver set to 5 minutes, and also in th4e power settings I have it set to turn off the monitor after 5 minutes and sleep after 15. Yet, when I walk away from my computer, I come back 15 minutes later or 20 minutes later and the screen is still on. Sometimes it does turn off, but most of the time it just doesn't. Also, sometimes when it goes into sleep, it will just randomly wake up after limke sa few hours for seemingly no reason. Is this a known issue with Windows 11, and is there some way I can just have it work the way it's supposed to?

Check if Task Scheduler has any third party apps which are waking the PC to run something.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market

Pvt. Parts posted:

Check if Task Scheduler has any third party apps which are waking the PC to run something.

I have no idea. This is a relatively fresh install of Windows 11. All I really have installed is stuff like 7zip, Chrome, Foobar2000, Discord and a few games. When I open up "Task Scheduler" under "active tasks" it shows a bunch of stuff and it all looks like stuff put there by Microsoft.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Try running “powercfg -requests” in Terminal. If there’s anything, like Discord, try closing it then walking away.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Got any gamepads plugged in? DS4s were notorious for keeping Windows awake

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Joysticks are also loving terrible for this - my VKB stuff absolutely will not let my computer sleep if it’s plugged into the USB.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I am suddenly having a lot of questions I've had for a long time answered without asking. :tinfoil:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I'm not sure what the NX bit setting on this laptop's BIOS looks like. It's got AMD Platform Security Processor, which sounds like TPM (it's enabled), am option to clear the AMD PSP key, and secure boot settings (enable/disable, secure boot status, platform mode, and secure boot mode). BitLocker is off (I should turn that on eventually). Windows is the only OS.

Have you installed any chipset or video drivers from the manufacturer or using Windows update? You might try installing the drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website (even if they're out of date) to see if that makes Windows realize it can run the update.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you installed any chipset or video drivers from the manufacturer or using Windows update? You might try installing the drivers from the laptop manufacturer's website (even if they're out of date) to see if that makes Windows realize it can run the update.

Hmm, I do see a bunch of AMD and Lenovo system updates in the drivers section of Windows Update. I'll try that route.

Edit: lol or not. Lenovo's site doesn't list any graphics or motherboard device drivers for Windows 11! FWIW, Lenovo Vantage doesn't find anything to update.

Edit 2: Media Creation Tool worked. I was a little nervous because it said it would install Windows 11 rather than updating or whatever, but all is well now.

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 9, 2023

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

I've just built a computer, installed Windows 11 and all necessary drivers and downloaded games, software etc.
In the install process I used my old key (which wasn't declined although I realize I wasn't actually connected to the internet) which was a Windows 10 Education key. Later in the installation, this was declined and my Windows is now unactivated.

I'll buy a license from some place since I'm no longer at the university (DigitalChillMart is legit and sells retail-keys afaik?) but it seems a downgrade from Windows Education to either Pro or Home isn't possible without a fresh install? I'd much rather not have to go through the entire process of setting up a new computer again.

Any advice on activating a Windows Education installation with another license? Googling the issue gives somewhat complex solutions and "hacks".

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

8-Bit Dracula posted:

I've just built a computer, installed Windows 11 and all necessary drivers and downloaded games, software etc.
In the install process I used my old key (which wasn't declined although I realize I wasn't actually connected to the internet) which was a Windows 10 Education key. Later in the installation, this was declined and my Windows is now unactivated.

I'll buy a license from some place since I'm no longer at the university (DigitalChillMart is legit and sells retail-keys afaik?) but it seems a downgrade from Windows Education to either Pro or Home isn't possible without a fresh install? I'd much rather not have to go through the entire process of setting up a new computer again.

Any advice on activating a Windows Education installation with another license? Googling the issue gives somewhat complex solutions and "hacks".

This fellow sells Windows keys to goons for cheap, and responds quick fast. I can attest to getting a Windows 11 Pro key for $20 in a few minutes. That might be the simplest way to sort it out.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, I've seen that store and would use it. However I'd rather pay using Visa or Mastercard since I don't use PayPal and prefer not getting into it. I'd be an international costumer.

Getting the key itself isn't the problem, it's whether I need a fresh install since I'm currently on a Windows Education installation (since the Media Creation Tool was used on a computer with an ancient Windows Education license).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

8-Bit Dracula posted:

Getting the key itself isn't the problem, it's whether I need a fresh install since I'm currently on a Windows Education installation (since the Media Creation Tool was used on a computer with an ancient Windows Education license).

I think maybe the “upgrade in place” might do this, but I am not 100% on that. You may have to do the whole Media Creation Tool with Win11 Pro, but it could probably save you having to flatten & install from scratch with the associated non-fun setup process again.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Windows 11: Please Add Spikes

There's no comment or anything, just 'spikes'. okay the 'audio and sound' category does give it context

I was checking the feedback hub to check on the issues I'd submitted, but they don't seem to be showing up (even though I submitted them while logged in).

It's been almost a year since I bought this laptop, used it for a couple of days, and then stashed it in a drawer. After running a few hours of updates this week, everything seems to be slightly better to use than it did before? I would still like a non-hacky way to have separate taskbar icons for each window (on a single display setup it is really, really janky to switch between multiple excel windows), but other than that I'm, well not exactly happy, okay with it now. The phone link integration is even better than on windows 10, and the widgets are almost usable (if there was a functional way to remove the suggested news that's all tabloid bullshit, that 'almost' would go away).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Good news is that “never combine” for the taskbar is back in Insider builds.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kalman posted:

Wonder if they'll fix the various regressions just in time to announce Windows 12. :crossarms:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kalman posted:

If you turn on "never combine", and hover over an entry on the taskbar, do you get the stupid thumbnail?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's the cheapest way to get a windows 11 key nowadays?

Or in other words, are sites like g2a.com and vip-urcdkey.com legit?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
G2A is dodgy as gently caress.
No idea about the other one but the URL certainly looks pretty sketchy!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

~Coxy posted:

If you turn on "never combine", and hover over an entry on the taskbar, do you get the stupid thumbnail?

Thumbnail of the window? Yeah.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

:bless:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

~Coxy posted:

The thumbnail is sometimes useful when you have several Explorer windows open and you need to double check which one you're dragging files to at least, and ignorable if you're moving quickly.

I just want them to hurry up on getting never combine windows into full release so I can switch windows with one click instead of two.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Not trying to rustle any jimmies here but aren't most G2A keys of equal "dodginess" to our SA store ones basically? I'm mostly just salty that I spent like $130 CAD for a key through retail but also how is such arbitrage possible it is madness.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Pvt. Parts posted:

Not trying to rustle any jimmies here but aren't most G2A keys of equal "dodginess" to our SA store ones basically? I'm mostly just salty that I spent like $130 CAD for a key through retail but also how is such arbitrage possible it is madness.

Non-authorized key reseller sites often get their keys from credit card scammers and thieves, basically as a money laundering operation. Sometimes keys may be revoked as a result. Resident goon threads at least have some degree of trust-building and reputation to lean on.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure the cheap keys are for poor counties. It’s not possible for Microsoft to enforce region checks with vpns and people legitimately moving between counties, also they don’t care because they pivoted to adware.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Perplx posted:

Pretty sure the cheap keys are for poor counties. It’s not possible for Microsoft to enforce region checks with vpns and people legitimately moving between counties, also they don’t care because they pivoted to adware.

I thought it was mostly institutional bulk licenses of some sort. Like a company paid for 10,000 licenses, but ended up only using half of them. The rest are valid licenses, and will work, at least until you sell up to that original 10,000 license amount. Things like that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pvt. Parts posted:

G2A is historically a shady company that turned a blind eye to scammed keys and actual theft, for videogames anyways. I dunno about their windows keys, people probably aren't stealing from microsoft with the same insouciance they steal from indie devs. Totally possible that the people selling windows keys on G2A are using the same systems that the SA goons are.

But the main point of "don't buy from G2A" is that G2A themselves suck.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I thought it was mostly institutional bulk licenses of some sort. Like a company paid for 10,000 licenses, but ended up only using half of them. The rest are valid licenses, and will work, at least until you sell up to that original 10,000 license amount. Things like that.

Yes. And the main thing to know is that they are "legit", but reselling them like that is a violation of the license. Cheap keys from the SA mart goons or other sources should not be used if you are running a business. As a home user you have nothing to worry about.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How can I get Windows 11 23H2 now? Do I join an Insider channel, then opt out once the update installs? I know it's officially released in a few days but I'm impatient.

Edit: Just downloading the Release Preview image for build 22621. I think it'll install, then I'll be able to update to the latest build number then I can opt out of the Insider channel, if it changes to Insider at all.

Edit 2: Updated to 22621.2283. Basically still 22H2, none of the new features are here. Thoughts?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 22, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Away all Goats posted:

People already replied but I would avoid key reseller websites. Not because it's immoral (I truly do not give a poo poo about big corpos losing money to grey / black markets) but because there are precedents of companies revoking keys through said markets. It's a gamble you have to make, but that's just my opinion.

(and as other people said, those websites and people behind them fuckin' suck, in general)

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

23H2 release date is supposedly Tues Sept 26.
https://beebom.com/windows-11-23h2-update-release-date/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

unknown posted:

23H2 release date is supposedly Tues Sept 26.
https://beebom.com/windows-11-23h2-update-release-date/

Yes it is. I'm moving into the Preview Release build Preview Release Channel (gently caress me, Microsoft), to get 23H2.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yes it is. I'm moving into the Preview Release build Preview Release Channel (gently caress me, Microsoft), to get 23H2.

What feature(s) are you so impatient for? As exciting as new AI tools and stuff can be I'm holding my breath more for house cleaning, unification, and de-bloating efforts more than anything. I think it was announced that Edge will be losing Math Solver and other bloat.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Pvt. Parts posted:

What feature(s) are you so impatient for? As exciting as new AI tools and stuff can be I'm holding my breath more for house cleaning, unification, and de-bloating efforts more than anything. I think it was announced that Edge will be losing Math Solver and other bloat.

Higher number = better! Joking aside, I've always liked just seeing stuff sooner than its public release. I can say that, even with the 22621 build, the new Outlook web app launches significantly faster than it did.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Advanced volume mixer and expanded archive file format support are big thumbs up for me. New features for Paint are great too, especially transparency support. Hopefully their modern settings app will have more useful settings. And that their Explorer changes won't make it run slower or make it buggier.

Apparently there's a new feature in personalization called Dynamic Lighting that lets you control gamer lights of your peripherals. Thats's pretty amazing as company specific programs have been terrible most of the time.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Oh yeah I saw that Paint has fuckin layers?? What is this.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I updated and holy poo poo they did make Explorer worse as I had expected. The newly reworked part of the UI with tabs, address bar and toolbar takes a second longer to load than everything old. Why are they so bad at making it work well?????? It's not gonna affect my use of Explorer, but it's still annoying to see.

Dynamic Light Control doesn't support my Logitech keyboard from like 2018, understandable. Hoping it will support everything from now on at least.

Advanced volume mixer has a scroll bar instead of just expanding the window/widget, could be better.

Paint doesn't appear to be updated, but I noticed that zooming using the slider is choppy af even if the canvas is blank 600x300???

I finally got to uninstall Winrar! You were a great program. Goodbye

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sites like cdkeys.com sell keys meant for foreign markets that still work internationally, and their (lack of) inventory reflects changes in how companies handle international sales and licensing. There’s never been an issue with them selling fraudulent keys as far as I know.

G2A is an eBay-like site and its sellers have been guilty of selling keys purchased with stolen cards.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 22, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some of the stuff on those sites is offering to sell you access to a PSN or Xbox Live account that has the software already in, which is mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Some of the stuff on those sites is offering to sell you access to a PSN or Xbox Live account that has the software already in, which is mad.

Yeah that’s how a lot of Steam sales work since Valve clamped down on gifting games to strangers.