Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Confusedslight posted:

Somehow need to find a party to the left of the greens

https://votecompass.tvnz.co.nz/nz2023

hmm yes the greens are further left than act are right. this is a graph we should take seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's correct, ACT are anti-free market when it comes to Epsom houses.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Lobsterpillar posted:

I interpreted that as a National dog whistle to not do any mitigation and focus solely on adaption.
The reality is that mitigation and adaptation are closely linked in many situations eg transport, where current levels of private car use are unsustainable

Not responding to you specifically but I've found a lot of people take the stance of "Well we're just a small nation, what can we do to solve a global problem" and I don't think they're wrong, so I find it helpful to instead appeal to New Zealand's standing in the global community. We have targets that we agreed to under the Paris Accords. What matters is our ability to follow through on our commitments, because that's what drives tourism and economic co-operation with larger nations.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

How are TOP Labour left anything

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Beartaco posted:

Not responding to you specifically but I've found a lot of people take the stance of "Well we're just a small nation, what can we do to solve a global problem" and I don't think they're wrong, so I find it helpful to instead appeal to New Zealand's standing in the global community. We have targets that we agreed to under the Paris Accords. What matters is our ability to follow through on our commitments, because that's what drives tourism and economic co-operation with larger nations.

I hear that Rod Carr has some strong words for people who say that sort of thing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what was the argument for changing the way we taught words to kids (that national wants to change back)

increasing illiteracy seems like a bad thing

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Did they stop teaching phonics or something?

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

echinopsis posted:

what was the argument for changing the way we taught words to kids (that national wants to change back)

I heard a presentation from a principal whose school was trying to switch back to the phonics system last year, he described it as being partially driven by since-outdated research and the fads of the time, but a big part of it was the then-new 'contextual reading' was significantly easier to teach. It is very difficult/expensive to switch back (according to him), as all the textbooks and leaning books need to be replaced.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Maybe I'm daft but are there that many vehicles with 60L tanks?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bssoil posted:

Maybe I'm daft but are there that many vehicles with 60L tanks?

Anything non-hybrid that's say, Camry sized or above. (Hybrid Camry is 50l, petrol FWD in other markets is 60l). Ranger is 80l for comparison. Landcruiser 300 110l. RAV4 petrol 55l.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Most "full size" family cars

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

echinopsis posted:

not if you want more national voters

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
We are moving TO phonics to teach kids to read, and stopping using reading recovery for kids who are having trouble learning.

Edit: ignore me, I misunderstood

klen dool fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 10, 2023

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
love to put up nuanced, deeply technical and academic discussions up for public debate

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"Structured literacy" is a specific phonics approach. Each reading lesson starts with like 10 mins of explicit phonics teaching before kids even open a book.

It's pretty decent particularly with kids who are not well served by whole book reading, but it would also hold a lot of kids back if they are well suited to learn reading with the whole book method.

loving stupid and actively harmful to mandate it for everyone, but the other poo poo around making sure there are trained teachers in each school etc is a good idea, it's really hard to shift teaching practice.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ACT are now promising to remove (they say opt out, but come the gently caress on) the building consent process

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Can I build a bunch of ten storey apartments in Epsom

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

No per their other policy anything above like 2 or 3 storeys needs to be approved by 75% of the owners around. So it's exclusively going to be single storey dwellings on premium farmland in like Pokeno, that will need to be rebuilt in 15 years because the builders were allowed to opt out of any quality control.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
National and act really are the parties of nit pickers though gently caress me, campaigning on hyper specific changes to things - charging $5 per prescription, how specifically children will learn reading, how much time children will spend writing and maths and reading. It's rediculous.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They know their audience

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

bike tory posted:

No per their other policy anything above like 2 or 3 storeys needs to be approved by 75% of the owners around. So it's exclusively going to be single storey dwellings on premium farmland in like Pokeno, that will need to be rebuilt in 15 years because the builders were allowed to opt out of any quality control.

caveat emptor, right

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Most "full size" family cars

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Anything non-hybrid that's say, Camry sized or above. (Hybrid Camry is 50l, petrol FWD in other markets is 60l). Ranger is 80l for comparison. Landcruiser 300 110l. RAV4 petrol 55l.

I guess having a Toyota wish (7 seater, so solid family car) for the last 10 years has messed me up but that seems a lot of petrol to lug around.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/act-promises-scrap-building-consent-process

"The Act Party says it will allow builders to opt out of council building consents to improve the supply, quality and cost of housing"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/i-would-never-forgive-him-says-act-candidates-client

act candidates ftw

quote:

Cozens has had one more quasi-legal defeat – of sorts – since being censured 10 years ago by the Real Estate Authority.

Earlier this year, he laid a Media Council complaint against broadcaster and online publisher Newshub. He objected to an online story headlined, "Men with sports cars overcompensating for something, study confirms in fallout of Tate-Thunberg feud".

It covered environmental activist Greta Thunberg’s suggestion that social media influencer Andrew Tate’s love of flash cars might be a form of overcompensation for the size of his penis. The story reported that there may be some truth to this, quoting a study that suggested a correlation between owning an ostentatious car and having a smaller-than-average penis.

Cozens complained that in a world where people refrained from making cheap comments about women’s bodies, Newshub had seen fit to print a story that attacked men. Although Newshub might think it was light summer reading, he said, it was sexist trash that belittled people for the sake of generating click-throughs.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

They should have knocked 6% off the requirement, it would make it a more popular policy

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

ACT are now promising to remove (they say opt out, but come the gently caress on) the building consent process

bssoil posted:

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/act-promises-scrap-building-consent-process

"The Act Party says it will allow builders to opt out of council building consents to improve the supply, quality and cost of housing"

I think this is probably the most hosed up thing ACT have announced. I don't think even National would let this through tbh. It's so infuriating to see them get away with dropping policy like this completely unquestioned, but it was covered on 1news tonight like a loving press release for ACT. "ACT want us to be building houses at a rate not seen since the 1980s."

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lobsterpillar posted:

They should have knocked 6% off the requirement, it would make it a more popular policy

:regd08:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I guess ACT have never heard the saying "safety regulations are written in blood"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

klen dool posted:

National and act really are the parties of nit pickers though gently caress me, campaigning on hyper specific changes to things - charging $5 per prescription, how specifically children will learn reading, how much time children will spend writing and maths and reading. It's rediculous.
at a certain point you will just have to accept that shifting the deck chairs is all that remains to be done on the ship.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I guess ACT have never heard the saying "safety regulations are written in blood"
not the business owner's

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Ghostlight posted:

not the business owner's

well...

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The engineer who did dodgy stuff on the CTV building (the one that killed people in the Christchurch earthquakes over a decade ago) is STILL in the process of fighting disciplinary action.

He's probably an ACT voter based on this act policy announcement

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

bssoil posted:

I guess having a Toyota wish (7 seater, so solid family car) for the last 10 years has messed me up but that seems a lot of petrol to lug around.

Everything I can find suggests first and second gen Wish both have a 60l tank also.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

On the plus side, Seymour seems committed to making a borderline unworkable government

quote:

We want to see a change in government, we want to see Chris Luxon in the National Party in government with us – but when it comes to supply, actually there’s a lot of people voting ACT who want something a little different… They want to see an end to government waste,” Seymour tells Newsable.
"What we’re saying is – ‘we give you confidence’, but when it comes to supply we want to negotiate each time.”

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you telling me a libertarian wants a system of government that can't exist and wouldn't work even if it did

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

bike tory posted:

I think this is probably the most hosed up thing ACT have announced. I don't think even National would let this through tbh. It's so infuriating to see them get away with dropping policy like this completely unquestioned, but it was covered on 1news tonight like a loving press release for ACT. "ACT want us to be building houses at a rate not seen since the 1980s."

By allowing quality standards not seen since the 1990s.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Yes!*

*provided you get 70% of the neighbours/local homeowners association to agree, but on the plus side you are allowed to directly bribe them.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Everything I can find suggests first and second gen Wish both have a 60l tank also.
Hmm good to know. I don't think I've ever put in 50+ but also

bssoil posted:

I'm daft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Wait, when the hell did TOP become vaguely left?was it always?

For some reason I had it in my head that it was Act light, but they seem to agree with a lot of Geen, TPM stuff.