Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

Mark 1 Recoilless rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQkPBYlP_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

I knew some guys in that unit. And when they left for Kosovo they left the mules behind and picked up some locally sourced teams of horses and mules there.
Which is presumably what those Russians have also done.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics/elon-musk-biography-walter-isaacson-ukraine-starlink/index.html

Looks like more details are about to drop about Elon Musk loving over Ukraine:

Someone else made the point that one of the chuds he reply guys to online regularly may have put him up to it:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/07/politics/elon-musk-biography-walter-isaacson-ukraine-starlink/index.html

Looks like more details are about to drop about Elon Musk loving over Ukraine:

Someone else made the point that one of the chuds he reply guys to online regularly may have put him up to it:

There are at least two people in this screengrab that I personally would be happy if they spontaneously combusted and then got hit by a bus, and that’s only because I don’t know anything about the third one.

Really can’t wait for Musk to lose his government contracts or end up penniless while his trans kids disown him. What a loving piece of poo poo he is.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1699738071363662144

In my head I'm wondering how long it'll take before a couple of hungry mobiks turn the elite war horses into elite horse steaks.

I'm hoping they get the chance to eat the Russians.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There are at least two people in this screengrab that I personally would be happy if they spontaneously combusted and then got hit by a bus, and that’s only because I don’t know anything about the third one.

Really can’t wait for Musk to lose his government contracts or end up penniless while his trans kids disown him. What a loving piece of poo poo he is.

What did the bus do to deserve that fate?

Spontaneously combust and then get hit by a de-orbited Starlink mini-sat!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1699909838342426878?t=-BTtxVAnvjKNpRBJ_xZHpw&s=19

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

¿Por qué no los tres?

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

orange juche posted:

¿Por qué no los tres?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/21384

If nothing else, Budanov absolutely knows how to be an entertaining troll.

quote:

For an extended period, a world map adorned the walls of Budanov's office, each border redrawn with a bold black marker.

The Russian Federation's vast expanse had been reconfigured; the Kursk, Belgorod, and Kuban regions were now marked as part of Ukraine, the Kaliningrad region was boldly stamped with "FRG," Karelia and the northwest bore the letter "F," Caucasus was annexed by Ichkeria, the central regions and a segment of Siberia united to form the "country" under the name "TSAR", while the Kuril Islands had been ceded to Japan.

Kremlin propagandists reacted with indignation at seeing a Russia dismembered on Budanov's office wall. On the federal TV channel, guests of the propagandist claimed that this depiction might foretell Russia's fate in the event of defeat.

Troll maps, mysterious frogs...

quote:

Following a Russian missile strike on Kyiv on May 29, social media was overflown by reports that Kyrylo Budanov was killed or seriously injured.

In an exclusive comment to Kyiv Post, Budanov finally addressed the conspiracy theory, saying: “Now in Ukraine, a special detachment of immortal commanders is being created – Valery Zaluzhny, myself, Stepan Bandera, Symon Petliura, Ivan Mazepa.

“Therefore, the Russians and their propagandists will still have a lot of work to do in a nervous, hysterical environment.

“A squad of immortals will come in the middle of the night to the dreams of Russian citizens who wanted to take over Ukraine and give them nightmares.”

...and an elaborate way of going "lmao we're gonna live rent free in your nightmares forever."

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So Ukraine now has a Jewish president and a Muslim defense minister. I imagine someone, somewhere is having an aneurysm over this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nuclear Tourist posted:

So Ukraine now has a Jewish president and a Muslim defense minister. I imagine someone, somewhere is having an aneurysm over this.

Unfortunately it's not Tucker, yet.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://www.kyivpost.com/post/21413

quote:

A video has emerged online of a Chinese woman, who claimed to be an opera singer, Wang Fang, singing “Katyusha,” amidst the ruins of Mariupol's Donetsk Academic Regional Drama Theatre.

Nikolenko said that Ukraine is awaiting an explanation from China, saying: “Ukraine respects China's territorial integrity and expects an explanation from the Chinese side regarding the purpose of the presence of Chinese citizens in Mariupol and the means by which they reached the temporarily occupied Ukrainian city.”

I wonder whether China's going to care, but I do hope these assholes helping legitimize Russia's occupation get dunked on by the Chinese authorities when they return home.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariupol_theatre_airstrike?wprov=sfla1

This was the theater that Russia bombed the kids at

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1700076233038393386

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Figuratively pissing on the bodies of dead kids by doing this. Jesus, what bad optics.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RUSI did an AAR of the opening battle of the counteroffensive (the one where all the images of knocked out AFU vehicles came from): Stormbreak: Fighting Through Russian Defences in Ukraine’s 2023 Offensive.

Some really interesting fieldwork to explain what happened and how both sides adapted afterwards.

The Summary posted:

Irrespective of the progress made during Ukraine’s counteroffensive, subsequent offensives will be necessary to achieve the liberation of Ukrainian territory. It is therefore important to assess the tactics employed and training provided during the Ukrainian offensive to inform force generation over the coming months. This report scrutinises tactical actions to identify challenges that need solving.

The prerequisite condition for any offensive action is fires dominance. This has been achieved through blinding the counterbattery capability of Russian guns and the availability of precise and long-range artillery systems. Ensuring the sustainability of this advantage by properly resourcing ammunition production and spares for a consolidated artillery park is critical.

Ukraine is suffering from heavy rates of equipment loss, but the design of armoured fighting vehicles supplied by its international partners is preventing this from converting into a high number of killed personnel. It is vital that Ukrainian protected mobility fleets can be recovered, repaired and sustained. This also demands a focus on industrial capacity and fleet consolidation.

Attempts at rapid breakthrough have resulted in an unsustainable rate of equipment loss. Deliberately planned tactical actions have seen Ukrainian forces take Russian positions with small numbers of casualties. However, this approach is slow, with approximately 700–1,200 metres of progress every five days, allowing Russian forces to reset. One key limitation on the ability to exploit or maintain momentum is mine reconnaissance in depth. The exploration of technological tools for conducting standoff mine reconnaissance would be of considerable benefit to Ukrainian units.

Another limiting factor in Ukrainian tactical operations is staff capacity at battalion and brigade level. Training of staff would significantly assist Ukrainian forces. This will only be helpful, however, if training is built around the tools and structure that Ukraine employs, rather than teaching NATO methods that are designed for differently configured forces. There is also a critical requirement to refine collective training provided to Ukrainian units outside Ukraine so that Ukrainian units can train in a manner closer to how they fight. This requires regulatory adjustment to allow for the combination of tools that are highly restricted on many European training areas.

Russian forces have continued to adapt their methods. Some of these adaptations are context specific, such as the increased density of minefields, from a doctrinal assumption of 120 metres to a practical aim to make them 500 metres deep. Other adaptations are systemic and will likely have a sustained impact on Russian doctrine and capability development. The foremost of these is the dispersal of electronic warfare systems rather than their concentration on major platforms, a shift to application-based command and control tools that are agnostic of bearer, and a transition to a dependence on more precise fires owing to the recognised inability to achieve the previously doctrinally mandated weight of imprecise fire given the threat to the logistics sustaining Russian guns. It is vital that Ukraine’s partners assist the country’s preparations for winter fighting, and subsequent campaign seasons now, if initiative is to be retained into 2024.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'd be very interested in hearing what the official Chinese response to this is (assuming there is one). I wonder if this was some sort of officially sanctioned excursion or just some Chinese bloggers who decided to go there under their own volition for social media clicks. From what I understand Chinese media basically regurgitates the official Russian narrative on the war, which makes me wonder if that lady is even aware of what happened in that theatre. You'd think it would be kinda difficult to not know, but...

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CommieGIR posted:

Figuratively pissing on the bodies of dead kids by doing this. Jesus, what bad optics.

I sort of give the Chinese tankies a bit of leeway given the lack of access to media they have and the pressure ( threats) the CCP puts on them and their families, but this is horrid.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I'd be surprised if this was directly connected to the CCP, it doesn't fit the (bullshit) peacemaker narrative they've been trying to promote this whole war.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

EasilyConfused posted:

I'd be surprised if this was directly connected to the CCP, it doesn't fit the (bullshit) peacemaker narrative they've been trying to promote this whole war.

I wouldn't. It's likely intended for domestic consumption, and the Party is quite pro-Russia in domestic propaganda. The fake neutral stuff is only for external consumption. They have never grasped that their information control only works domestically and people outside see both.

That said since the pro-Russia propaganda has been quite successful it's not unreasonable that some rear end in a top hat just decided to do this on her own. I just wouldn't be surprised either way.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Well that’s convenient
Pentagon checked the couch cushions and found extra ATACMS for Ukraine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the only time it's unofficial is when chinese netizens laugh at how fail russian soldiers are

the chinese line about revanching vladivostok is the truly domestic one

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well that’s convenient

quote:

A surprising discovery could also ease the administration's choice to send the weapons: The U.S. has found it has more ATACMS in its inventory than originally assessed, the two officials told ABC News.

lmbo

quote:

The serviceability of the rediscovered stockpile is not yet clear, nor which specific type of missiles it contains. ATACMS come in several forms, from missiles with large high-explosive warheads, to anti-personnel cluster-munition versions that drop hundreds of bomblets on targets

:psypop: can you imagine the sheer havok that an ATACMS with CM would wreak on a Russian airbase?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'd be very interested in hearing what the official Chinese response to this is (assuming there is one). I wonder if this was some sort of officially sanctioned excursion or just some Chinese bloggers who decided to go there under their own volition for social media clicks. From what I understand Chinese media basically regurgitates the official Russian narrative on the war, which makes me wonder if that lady is even aware of what happened in that theatre. You'd think it would be kinda difficult to not know, but...

I wouldn't be surprised if she's just there independently, and ignorant. I used to play PlanetSide 2 on the Asia server, and shortly after this invasion kicked off all the Chinese teams changed their team logo to the Russian flag. This was back when things like the Bucha massacre happened. It made me so angry and frustrated I had to just stop playing.

I reasoned that they surely aren't actually well informed and cheering on massacres, just kept in the dark, but I still found it hard to deal with.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 9, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mederlock posted:

:psypop: can you imagine the sheer havok that an ATACMS with CM would wreak on a Russian airbase?

Go for wherever the SU-57s are. Not because it would help win the war but it would be funny to have all of Russias ‘5th gen’ fighters wiped out and them unable to build anymore.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alchenar posted:

RUSI did an AAR of the opening battle of the counteroffensive (the one where all the images of knocked out AFU vehicles came from): Stormbreak: Fighting Through Russian Defences in Ukraine’s 2023 Offensive.

Some really interesting fieldwork to explain what happened and how both sides adapted afterwards.

That's a pro read, really excellent information and analysis.

Mederlock posted:

Cluster munitions are tailor-made for hitting air bases. The Russians put their birds in revetments, but they're open topped. You could gank a squadron in one go, plus material damage to the base facilities if anything catches on fire.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Mederlock posted:

lmbo

:dong: Yo, I can only get so erect for so long.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Mederlock posted:

lmbo

But you are forgetting about the tires, comrade.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Armacham posted:

But you are forgetting about the tires, comrade.

As one of the only people here to have used DPICM and ICM rounds, the tires just make the cleanup that much harder. More space for the 12.5% or so that don't go off to hide.

The base bleed ones were the most fun, they made an extra whooshing noise.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well that’s convenient

Bad time to be a bridge in a 180 mile radius around Ukrainian controlled territory.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

As much as I despise acronyms as being a member of the DoD behemoth, I loving love ATACMS

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

for some reason i hear it in the beggin strips dog's voice

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

They "found" more ATACMS? How does that actually happen? I'd get my head handed to me for missing a couple of hand tools on a layout.

It's not like these things are sitting in the back of a forgotten CONEX in the motor pool.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

"Itchy_Grundle" posted:

It's not like these things are sitting in the back of a forgotten CONEX in the motor pool.

Are you sure about that?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

When I read that my impression isn't that they found them in the sense no one knew they were there, but that they weren't accounted for properly in inventory.

Basically the people who had them knew they were there, but the Pentagon wasn't tracking them on whatever report they were using to track inventory levels.

How that happens is someone fucks up an excel spreadsheet.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Reading Wikipedia there's a difference between range of course but also the payload moving to ATACMS 500-pound (230 kg) WDU-18/B (WAU-23B) penetrating high explosive blast fragmentation warhead from six rockets with 200-pound (91 kg) high-explosive warheads.

Does this mean anything for occupied bridges and can a ballistic ATACMS missile hit a bridge?

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Itchy_Grundle posted:

They "found" more ATACMS? How does that actually happen? I'd get my head handed to me for missing a couple of hand tools on a layout.

Could be some older variants that were flagged with status flag "under upgrade" that on verification were found to be in boxes ready for shipping or some poo poo like that?

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Couldn't it work that the Pentagon went: "hey we are looking for some spares missiles you all have lying around" and told everyone that they needed to search extra hard?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Flikken posted:

Are you sure about that?

Yeah that's the must believable part

papasyhotcakes posted:

Couldn't it work that the Pentagon went: "hey we are looking for some spares missiles you all have lying around" and told everyone that they needed to search extra hard?

"Listen up yahoos; if anyone has any more ATACMS in their poo poo, bring that poo poo to supply no questions asked! If we find an ATACM in your poo poo after... Don't let us find one. Y'all got till 1600."

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Mederlock posted:

lmbo

Yes I can, and it makes me rock hard.