Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Mad Hamish posted:

I feel like within the last five years people have just lost all their personal awareness. Nowadays there's always some slow-walking jackass in the middle of the goddamned sidewalk moving at a snail's pace, people walking out of businesses and not looking to see if someone's in the way of the door, folks blocking an entire aisle of the grocery store with a shopping cart while they look for their cans, it's just infuriating.

And you walk around a person going 0.003 mph on the sidewalk, not looking up, not saying anything, not making eye contact, they act like YOU are the rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Nobel Peace Prize for the first person who creates a successful PSA against everything being played through your phone’s loudspeaker in public

I think this will be my future crone eternal gripe

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Mad Hamish posted:

I feel like within the last five years people have just lost all their personal awareness. Nowadays there's always some slow-walking jackass in the middle of the goddamned sidewalk moving at a snail's pace, people walking out of businesses and not looking to see if someone's in the way of the door, folks blocking an entire aisle of the grocery store with a shopping cart while they look for their cans, it's just infuriating.

This also applies to driving. People just blazing up to hazards in the road, or completely ignoring signs. Constantly amazed there aren't more accidents.

I don't like the weird paranoid old man I've become.

... Oh and Google maps looks like garbage again. Guess Alphabet needed to break something this month to fill their quota.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

teen witch posted:

Nobel Peace Prize for the first person who creates a successful PSA against everything being played through your phone’s loudspeaker in public

Not that I’ve ever heard someone playing good music on their phone speaker in public, but even great tunes I really like sound lovely through phone speakers

It’s always some slurry auto tuned poo poo though. Many, many genres, always horrendous autotune.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Honestly, if you’re going to talk loud into your cellphone anyways, I say let me hear the other side of the conversation so I can at least have some context. I don’t want no “if it wasn’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that semester in college” poo poo rattling around in my head from the freezer aisle

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

A PSA will never work.

You need active jamming technology.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, if you try to convince people not to be loud assholes in public, they will just decide that not shouting at their phone all the time is woke.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Shithouse Dave posted:

Not that I’ve ever heard someone playing good music on their phone speaker in public, but even great tunes I really like sound lovely through phone speakers

It’s always some slurry auto tuned poo poo though. Many, many genres, always horrendous autotune.

yesterday a guy slowly pulled his ancient bmw 3-series convertible around a corner in front of me. i stood there while he crawled by blasting junior murvin "police and thieves" and it felt remarkable to hear somebody public-blasting a song i like.

but not on a phone loudspeaker so maybe it doesn't count

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

doctorfrog posted:

the Nexusmods solution: every month you download a resource pack of the hottest meme images and and assortment of hip fonts, and a browser plugin assembles the latest memes from them based on a simple scripting language anyone can learn. Or, just install our app!

I don't know what this is, but it's somehow still viscerally upsetting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Time_pants posted:

I don't know what this is, but it's somehow still viscerally upsetting.

It's the future of creative meming

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

teen witch posted:

A Nobel Prize to the person who finds out who invented speakerphone and then slowly forces that rear end in a top hat through a very fine wire mesh.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
A nobell prize to whoever invents a time machine and shoots that first ambitious ape to consider life on the plains.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don’t get why Boomers love speaker phone

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Professor Shark posted:

Pssst! 80% of them have early onset dementia or are senile already and they do not realize that speaker phone is on.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ProperCoochie posted:

Pssst! 80% of them have early onset dementia or are senile already and they do not realize that speaker phone is on.

Also they consider it their god given right to inflict whatever rancid horseshit they're discussing on every one else.

Biplane fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 9, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Professor Shark posted:

they can't hear

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Christ I hate speakerphone. My boss always uses it and not only can I not hear him worth a poo poo, I don’t know who’s in the office with him, so I have to be exceedingly careful not to inadvertently offend or piss someone off that’s listening to our conversation.*

It’s like ‘dude, I’m calling you because I don’t want to put this in an email, for Christ’s sake, have a clue’.

* I don’t mean in a politically correct way, I mean in a ‘this other department are being asshats’ way.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Shithouse Dave posted:

I was on the train yesterday and this couple were watching some sitcom on their phone via loudspeakers. Guy was holding the phone, lady was standing behind him eagerly watching over his shoulder. Super eagerly, in this weird creepy way like she's watching him set up the heroin needle. The show was the one with Erkle in it maybe? Something annoying from the 90s with a super annoying laugh track. The whole thing sounded horrible and I have no idea why the people treated it like crack. That was one of the most bizarre things.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Erkle

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Imagine thinking your own thoughts with no outside stimulation

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Did that happen because of meeeeee???”

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

Imagine thinking your own thoughts with no outside stimulation

I just look outside the window sometimes at random stuff passing by.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Somehow, they just made Slack worse.

Now all your workspaces are bundled up under one icon, so you can't tell what has notifications and what doesn't. Two of five workspaces I'm in have the new UI applied, and the other three don't, so as you change workspaces, the entire UI flips between the new and old design.

And they completely changed the themes, everything's a gradient now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

manero posted:

Somehow, they just made Slack worse.

Now all your workspaces are bundled up under one icon, so you can't tell what has notifications and what doesn't. Two of five workspaces I'm in have the new UI applied, and the other three don't, so as you change workspaces, the entire UI flips between the new and old design.

And they completely changed the themes, everything's a gradient now.

I hate Slack so much.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

redshirt posted:

I hate Slack so much.

Right? Like it's bad and all, threads are horrible, but they just couldn't resist a juicy UI redesign that hosed up it up even more. They could have just left it alone and it would have been fine.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

They also changed Slack so you can't have a thread open in the right hand pane unless you're viewing the channel that the thread is in on your main pane. Why?! The whole loving point was so I could have a side conversation in one pane but still do whatever else I needed to do in the central one. It's objectively worse in every way.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I’m pretty good at going with the flow as a teacher, but the start of this year has me worried that I can’t possibly keep up with students needs anymore. I’m still getting high school students who have been “homeschooled” through Covid, who can’t write their names or interact with people, but they have no history in the system so there is no support provided. And of course those parents sign them up after school has started so we can’t get enough staff.

At the same time, more and more students escaping from Ukraine are arriving and being put in regular classes, with no more support then “use translate app on your phone to talk to them”.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Carwash oval office posted:

I’m pretty good at going with the flow as a teacher, but the start of this year has me worried that I can’t possibly keep up with students needs anymore. I’m still getting high school students who have been “homeschooled” through Covid, who can’t write their names or interact with people, but they have no history in the system so there is no support provided. And of course those parents sign them up after school has started so we can’t get enough staff.

At the same time, more and more students escaping from Ukraine are arriving and being put in regular classes, with no more support then “use translate app on your phone to talk to them”.

Where are you teaching if you don't mind saying? I get it if you don't want to say.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Some math (I can get by the language gap if the kids have a strong math background), and programming/soldering. Those aren’t fun to do if you aren’t confident it is safe for the kid to do the work.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

You can download your archived photos from the Google Gallery app one at a time. Have hundreds of photos you want to mass download? gently caress you.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Some math (I can get by the language gap if the kids have a strong math background), and programming/soldering. Those aren’t fun to do if you aren’t confident it is safe for the kid to do the work.

Well, it's obvious you don't teach reading.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Well, it's obvious you don't teach reading.

:drat: , I suck

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If someone has ever downloaded a Google drive in one go before please let me know.

Also, gently caress you Google. There doesn't seem to be a way to see who has permissions on a shared drive. The only way to figure out who has access to what is to manually check file and folder permissions for every single file and folder on the drive. Apparently, this is fine and there's no security issues at all.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

For some reason, spotify on my work laptop keeps telling me that multiple people can control the device if I decide to do some sort of shared session. It tells me this after every other song, and it steals focus to do so, popping up the application window. It makes it completely impossible to use spotify while trying to focus, which sucks because that was my primary was of drowning out my rear end in a top hat coworkers who are taking calls from their desks.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Today I learned not too many goons are keen on eating seafood.

Huh.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

You Are A Elf posted:

Huh.

Why would anyone willing put the horrors from the deep in their stomach!!!

Their unearthly taste is just a warning this be an unnatural act. :colbert:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Found out today you can't make a copy of a folder in Google Drive

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I’m still getting high school students who have been “homeschooled” through Covid, who can’t write their names or interact with people, but they have no history in the system so there is no support provided.

I voluntarily homeschooled myself from ages 15-17 because the schools were just that lovely. I looked at homeschool student groups in an attempt to be normal at socializing and the kids that had it done to them as a religious thing were almost universally illiterate.

Edit: like it was a net gain being around them and they were decent people, but it was bizarre trying to show them an RPG i was working through on my Game Boy Advance and them just being like "this has words".

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 10, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

doctorfrog posted:

Found out today you can't make a copy of a folder in Google Drive

Use drive stream and copy it in explorer. I think that still works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

You Are A Elf posted:

Huh.

Okay, so like I originally posted this in the sushi thread. Hit reply and it went through and I saw it posted there.

Then the post immediately disappeared.

So I posted it again with slightly different wording and it showed up in the sushi thread while this post wound up here. Like… what?

Or maybe I’m just a weenie doofus who posted in the wrong thread at first. What a fuckin’ weenie doofus :(