Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

stuff like Space Quest and the Bards Tale taught me to read when I was like three, so I’ll always have a special place in my heart for games like those, somehow I got into stuff like zork too, and I thought a grue lived in my closet when I was five

when I was a little older it was stuff on my Genesis like Earthworm Jim and Toejam and Earl, then stuff like age of empires and red alert on my first real pc, I played a bit of everything since my friends all played different stuff

All time though, morrowind and baldurs gate are on the top of my list, I still go back and play Freespace 2 every now and again too just to see if it still holds up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rags to Liches posted:

stuff like Space Quest and the Bards Tale taught me to read when I was like three, so I’ll always have a special place in my heart for games like those, somehow I got into stuff like zork too, and I thought a grue lived in my closet when I was five

when I was a little older it was stuff on my Genesis like Earthworm Jim and Toejam and Earl, then stuff like age of empires and red alert on my first real pc, I played a bit of everything since my friends all played different stuff

All time though, morrowind and baldurs gate are on the top of my list, I still go back and play Freespace 2 every now and again too just to see if it still holds up

No Commander Keen, or The real Duke Nukem?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

We can be friends.

Quick what are your loved gifts so I can give you two a week

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

super mario rpg

aside from it being a sick game, i LOVED it when i was a kid and rented it from the video store like every week. my brother was a huge dick to me for pretty much my entire childhood and i have very few good memories with him, but for some reason when the rental store was closing down he bought it on clearance and gave it to me. i still have the cartridge.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pencilhands posted:

super mario rpg

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

Metal Marines on the SNES. I wouldn't call it the best game of all time as-is but there's no game I'd rather see modernized

:hfive: I've always liked you DDPM but now we're posting buddies because that game was really loving good.

also I really liked King Arthur's World although its basically (maybe because?) its Lemmings with weapons

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpvGs7-X1X4

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
While I stand by my selection of Master of Orion 2, I feel like TIE Fighter (enhanced CD-ROM version, naturally) is a photo-finish 2nd place. It is literally both :discourse: and :perfect: OG X-wing is pretty good, X-wing Alliance is meh, and I haven't played Squadrons, but TIE Fighter is where it came together perfectly.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

Quick what are your loved gifts so I can give you two a week

Just give me lots and lots of dinosaur mayonnaise please

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
MOO2 was fantastic, but Space Empires IV took top billing in my book for 4X king.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

While I stand by my selection of Master of Orion 2, I feel like TIE Fighter (enhanced CD-ROM version, naturally) is a photo-finish 2nd place. It is literally both :discourse: and :perfect: OG X-wing is pretty good, X-wing Alliance is meh, and I haven't played Squadrons, but TIE Fighter is where it came together perfectly.

I literally have a usb joystick for when I want to play Tie Fighter again

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

a thread full of cowards. a whole lotta opinions but very few stats. let’s see those numbers goons. let’s see that truth laid bare all honest like. what’s #1 when you hit “sort by time played” on your library?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

a thread full of cowards. a whole lotta opinions but very few stats. let’s see those numbers goons. let’s see that truth laid bare all honest like. what’s #1 when you hit “sort by time played” on your library?

lets see your stats, jackass. what have you been playing?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Dick Fontaine posted:

I have 666.5 hours in path of exile on steam which is my highest but its not even in my top 5 overall. the hours are there cause that's the kind of game I play where I'm mainly listening to a podcast or book and just want something chill to play while I listen which is another deal entirely. some games are also more time consuming than others, some games are designed to be short experiences you revisit once in awhile, some games are made to be played potentially endlessly like factorio or rimworld.

point is I think hours played is a poor metric for this. I've only got about 200 hours in doom eternal compared to the previously mentioned PoE or FFXIV which is a close second because mmorpgs are time consuming

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dick Fontaine posted:

CKII is the one I've spent the most time with but NV and PS:T are where my heart is at

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

lets see your stats, jackass. what have you been playing?

pg. 2

Dick Fontaine posted:

i wonder how much time i spent on the good ones

:colbert:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

was not expecting that ending

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

I just play Asteroids for 2-10 minutes every morning, depending on how well it goes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I thought about it for real and I'm changing my answer to Kentucky Route Zero because I felt like it was a story unburdened by a lot of the cliches that seem almost endemic to the medium, that even something like DE suffers from, and at the very end I felt a great, elemental emotion stirring in my chest which I've only really felt while watching movies or reading books, and KRZ is like, the only game I can think of off the top of my head that managed to do that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Revins posted:

I have 666.5 hours in path of exile on steam which is my highest but its not even in my top 5 overall. the hours are there cause that's the kind of game I play where I'm mainly listening to a podcast or book and just want something chill to play while I listen which is another deal entirely. some games are also more time consuming than others, some games are designed to be short experiences you revisit once in awhile, some games are made to be played potentially endlessly like factorio or rimworld.

point is I think hours played is a poor metric for this. I've only got about 200 hours in doom eternal compared to the previously mentioned PoE or FFXIV which is a close second because mmorpgs are time consuming

Sounds like you need to play PoE for another 6 minutes and then quit forever.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

dark souls 1 or tlou2, op

for a long time it was hl2 and sm64 but time marches on inexorably

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i’ve also spent many hundreds of hours in various civ games

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Rags to Liches posted:

Eyyy, I buckled down and learned to read when I was 3 because my uncle was having so much fun playing Zork and I needed to get in on it.

Also, Outer Wilds is the Mona Lisa of video games.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Dick Fontaine posted:

I posted mine already jerkface

edit: I beat the Moon Lord last night :peanut:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Dick Fontaine posted:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Dick Fontaine posted:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Uh..

Are you winning?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

how?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Grey Cat posted:

dark souls 1

Devils Affricate posted:

I keep a top 5 that has no particular order

Dark Souls
Riven
Planescape Torment
FF7
Outer Wilds

Admittedly, Dark Souls is probably my secret favorite of the bunch, don't tell the others :ssh:

Friend

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I had about four hundred some hours on super smash bros melee that was pretty much exclusively from playing with my stepbrother and my best friend at the time. I still have that GameCube and play it with my stepson sometimes.

That and Stardew Valley are probably the two I’ve put the most hours into. Between various save files on Stardew I’ve probably put in about 500 hours there.

Leaving those two aside my other favorites would be Batman Arkham Asylum, Burnout 3, and probably either Metroid Prime or Shadow of the Colossus. Snake Eater right behind them

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have a couple.

I think my first real investment besides games like Final Fantasy, various Genesis and SNES games growing up. One that got me hooked was Metal Gear Solid. I remember renting that game at a blockbuster and being stuck figuring out what the hell "You can find the Codec number on the back of the CD case". Took me a hot minute going through every single number because Meryl's number wasn't on the back of the case from Blockbuster. Then as the years go I played them all up until MGSV and thought that was the end of my childhood.

In 2006 I got hooked on a rhythm dancing game called Pump it Up. I still play it to this day. I also design custom step charts and have been doing that for well over 15 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suSgPLnG3pM

And finally Elden Ring has me hooked. Currently playing Armored Core 6 which is really good. There are other games but I guess these are my favorite.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

it’s really good

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Sid Vicious posted:

it’s really good

I find it too unpleasant :(

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Space quest III

Way ahead of its time

Also put in disgusting amounts of time with diablo 2 way longer than I should have. I played it up until, like, 2015 or so. Mental background noise for getting high and listening to music and podcasts.

Then I was introduced to modern video games with God of War 2018 and my mind was blown, I know the game is universally beloved but there's very good reason for that.

Elden Ring too cuz gently caress the haters that game rules

Clowner fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 9, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Icochet posted:

Uh..

Are you winning?

No.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Then it's honest toil at least

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Dick Fontaine posted:

destiny 2 by the numbers.

but fallout 2 or bg2 are my picks

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
FF2 on the snes. I always play through it at least once a year since I was a kid.

It can only be the original US version though. No remakes or remasters.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Oh I have over 2k hours in War Thunder, but its absolutely not my favorite game of all time. Not even my 2nd or 3rd, its just a habit I go back to whenever I run out of good & cool games.

Thats legit tho

EDIT

dsf posted:

FF2 on the snes. I always play through it at least once a year since I was a kid.

It can only be the original US version though. No remakes or remasters.

:hfive: My favorite FF/version. My first save had over 200 hours on it, I remember looking at that when I was 13 and thinking "that cant be right".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
Quake III Arena probably