Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
[Dogosphere collapse]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Why are they expending so much energy to bury these?

I don't really have a reaction other than puzzlement to this sort of thing any more.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Carbon-fiber sequestration

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Oceangate unloading their excess stock of submarine hulls I see

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

starkebn posted:

Why are they expending so much energy to bury these?

I don't really have a reaction other than puzzlement to this sort of thing any more.

Looks bad if they leave em out in the sun

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Rectal Death Adept posted:

i figured the massive global biodiversity loss was contributing to the global phenomenon of 99.9999999999% drops in insects impacting automobiles but I guess we somehow developed aerodynamics that means a 1980s car and a 2020s car are completely different and the 2020s car just shuffles the insects, that are definitely still there, out of the way of the cars.

Modern aerodynamics are so good that trucks the size of small houses and 20,000lb SUVs also have this insect repulsion effect. Even 18 wheelers use this technology too.

i know that scientists don't measure insect density using the front of their cars lol im not disputing any of the research

im saying that yes, they are entirely different from a 1980s car aerodynamically, in that modern cars don't absolutely guaranteed kill their entire surface area worth of bugs as they drive around because areas of laminar flow function kinda like tiny bug shoving forcefields and 80s cars did not have that & created a big dead zone of turbulence right in front of them around them which made bugs just hosed, im not saying it's a magic protection thing they just don't all rip through air like lawnmowers anymore

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FirstnameLastname posted:

i know that scientists don't measure insect density using the front of their cars lol im not disputing any of the research

im saying that yes, they are entirely different from a 1980s car aerodynamically, in that modern cars don't absolutely guaranteed kill their entire surface area worth of bugs as they drive around because areas of laminar flow function kinda like tiny bug shoving forcefields and 80s cars did not have that & created a big dead zone of turbulence right in front of them around them which made bugs just hosed, im not saying it's a magic protection thing they just don't all rip through air like lawnmowers anymore
sure but this is mostly a very minor thing, like saying climate naturally changes and we were in a cooling period naturally getting warmer, like yes, true. but considering there are still plenty of 70s-90s trucks and rvs on the road that experience a massive drop. we have a 1982 Fleetwood RV (ford class e chasis type) that we took out a lot in the 90s on road trips through the western US all the time and it'd be a bug genocide between gas station-to-gas station. taking it out more recently in the 2010s, it was remarkably clean, like it's really stark day and night.

even newer car grills are mostly squeaky clean these days and it's not like aerodynamics on grills are that much different.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Rip Testes posted:

gummy bears?

All you goons gotta get busy. These decommissioned wind turbines are destroying the planet and those gummy bears aren't going to eat themselves

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

man I hope renewables pull this energy transition thing off

it's gonna happen guys, we just won't use fossil fuels any more, it's just that easy

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i think an unaddressed part of this problem is the kind of assumption that animals are always crossing the road, or wandering onto it, and not that they're drawn to parts of road & hanging out on&above it because black asphalt will hold and radiate heat better than most things in most places and some animals are instinctively drawn to open, flat areas, snakes & reptiles love em for basking

umm...no. the herp smash events are from seasonal migrations, and roads are fragmenting habitat.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

how is only the last three years so much higher? is this some crank poo poo?

don’t reply with a weed/meth joke

That final spike shows the last one-two hundred years or so. The very tippity-top is the last 3 years.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

this is some jenk poo poo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

Car Hater posted:

Looks bad if they leave em out in the sun

They do that with military vehicles all the time though.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/sierra-army-depot

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im a bug scientist and this is actually exactly how we research

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
have we thought about just building more trees?

i've got some wood around here somewhere

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What do they do to the trash afterwards, dump it back to river upstream?

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
they bring each piece back to its original owner

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Cold on a Cob posted:

thank you trudeau

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Jizzny Princess posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2023/09/roadkill-endangered-animals-amphibians/675241/

This article reminds me of when I got to see a northern alligator lizard on the road. I helped it along to get to the other side, but as I turned back from walking my dog, discovered it had gone back out onto the road and someone hit. Car culture is depressing on so many levels but roadkill seriously breaks my heart.

I got a job delivering flower arrangementsthis year and quit after 2 months mainly because of all the road kill getting to me. I hated being a hazard on the road for such a pointless cargo.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

part of it is because modern cars mostly don't have flat front surfaces for insects to impact and stick against & hydrophobic clearcoat & stuff like rain-x is more common
stuff's dying but even if it wasn't if you're in a newer car the only spot you'll find much bug is around your radiator & grill

between about 35 & 60 they'll actually kill a lot less smaller bugs(honeybee/fly sized) than older cars too, the airflow basically sweeps them out of the way if it's not a direct impact, so they're much less likely to take out entire swarms of something. still obv. doesn't help with the stuff under the tires though & cars make much less noise on approach now which makes it worse

i think an unaddressed part of this problem is the kind of assumption that animals are always crossing the road, or wandering onto it, and not that they're drawn to parts of road & hanging out on&above it because black asphalt will hold and radiate heat better than most things in most places and some animals are instinctively drawn to open, flat areas, snakes & reptiles love em for basking
i think the roads work like kinetic bug & lizard zappers more than a dangerous barrier and i think the damage caused increases with the local density of animal life and rate/speed of traffic on a curve that's more exponential than linear, i bet there's hotspots that kill a shitload of stuff, esp. in places like Florida

a lot of animals lives could prob. be saved from studies to find the most heat soaked and populated strips of road in places with vulnerable species and just shade them better or put unused asphalt or some other cheap sunlight soaking material alongside it with a plastic barrier wall alongside even portions of the roads to block some of them
it would be really easy to find the worst spots traffic & heat wise w/ thermal cameras and i bet it would make a big difference for insects and lizards/amphibians especially, but ive never seen anything focus on that angle
no, you're just a dumbass. i've been driving the same car for 17 years, the aerodynamics of it haven't changed, the bugs are all gone.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

i got these hybiscus teabags that claim no plastic on the package but if it steeps all day in my work cup and i forget to toss the bag, the bottom of the tea feels gritty...probably not plastic heh heh phew!

Who are we to say what is plastic and what is not?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

trucutru posted:

That final spike shows the last one-two hundred years or so. The very tippity-top is the last 3 years.

oh I missed the axis label that read “thousands of years ago”, oops

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Modern cars have laminar flow and consequently simply glide through the air touching nothing and having no impact. Thank you cars!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

jetz0r posted:

no, you're just a dumbass. i've been driving the same car for 17 years, the aerodynamics of it haven't changed, the bugs are all gone.

You fool, you idiot. You're surrounded by modern cars with smooth sweeping curves that harmlessly deflect the insects away from the road before they can impact your bug-vortex-swallowing shitbox.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

they don’t leave the turbine blades out in the open because then anyone can see how loving stupid it all is

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Shyrka posted:

You fool, you idiot. You're surrounded by modern cars with smooth sweeping curves that harmlessly deflect the insects away from the road before they can impact your bug-vortex-swallowing shitbox.

kyojin posted:

Modern cars have laminar flow and consequently simply glide through the air touching nothing and having no impact. Thank you cars!

you are arguing against someone you've made up in your head. thats not what i said
air is real though and it does have a very drastic effect on what small flying animals will impact a car

like here, except for the red and yellow area, small bugs will likely not even touch the body

because there's a constant stream of high pressure air like this passing over it ( this is of a car going fast i couldn't find a gif a of slower speed )

whereas here, it's gonna smash every bug
because of these kind of designs, which aren't done anymore, which create a big dead zone of air immediately infront of the windshield, making things smack into it without any air pushing them away at all, it actually does make a very drastic difference idk why this is so contentious lol

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 12:51 on Sep 9, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
good thing cars are gonna stay rounded and bulbous forever and there isnt a trend of boxy suvs like the bronco and stuff

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I would be interested to see the cfd aerodynamics but for a donkey pulling a cart. I bet they have poo poo laminar flow lol donks

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

like here, except for the red and yellow area, small bugs will likely not even touch the body

Do you not realize that the "red and yellow area" is the area that was once covered with bugs, but now is not?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

75% loss of insect life in some areas from the relentless grinding annihilation of donkey ear swats

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Offkorn posted:

Do you not realize that the "red and yellow area" is the area that was once covered with bugs, but now is not?

following along with more anecdotal evidence, I remember as a kid seeing tons of fireflies every summer night in the field across from my neighborhood....now it's like one or two. Totally unreplicable though, probably doesn't mean anything.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
When I take my1929 Model A out for a ride, it does not come back covered in insects, hth

All the insects have been replaced by ticks, it seems

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Oh yeah? Well if cars are so slick and good now, how come the neighbourhood kids keep twatting my windscreen and cracking it when I drive through their street ball game, eh? Answer that one, Mr. Genius.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
the multiple multi nation studies showing massive insect population decline are because the bug collection techniques have gotten so aerodynamic the bugs just moonwalk out

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's 2023. Most of the people remembering their car windows getting splattered 20 years ago were not driving 1980s bricks what the gently caress

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Putting my insect collection trap at the wrong end of one of those one way tiles from Chip's Challenge :doh:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i hit some bugs last month

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Paradoxish posted:

It's 2023. Most of the people remembering their car windows getting splattered 20 years ago were not driving 1980s bricks what the gently caress

Back then the average car was 10 years old so yeah, there were a poo poo load of boxy cars designed in the 80s on the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
so glad modern cars are so smooth and clean so all the insects cant be hit. they should make cars so aerodynamic that when they hit a biker or a pedestrian they just harmlessly glide past them.