Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stolen and re-stolen from another thread, wondering how accurate this is.

Lmfao that's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Shu Han

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wills and testaments used to be two different things tho. They gradually became one over hundreds of years

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/Poochigian/status/1699744381488517428
Solid mix of :black101: and :smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sui is missing, I wish I knew Simpsons quotes to the level required to find one for them. Something about getting owned after making the same mistake over and over.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Sui is missing, I wish I knew Simpsons quotes to the level required to find one for them. Something about getting owned after making the same mistake over and over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WZLJpMOxS4

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

lmao efb

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Of course I miss the most obvious choice. Yes, that is perfect Sui. Just mentally label the rakes Korea.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvYMCtp4G6g
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/roman-swords-discovered-dead-sea-cave-1900-years-jewish-rebellion-rcna103580

Extremely cool poo poo

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Grand Fromage posted:

Of course I miss the most obvious choice. Yes, that is perfect Sui. Just mentally label the rakes Korea.

This is the worst day of our dynasty.

The worst mistake of your dynasty so far.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grand Fromage posted:

It's where my mind instantly went, feels impossible for there to be another choice.

lmao

I'm trying to come up with a good Sun Wu one but I don't quite know how to summarize "everything works fine as long as one specific man doesn't die"

Jezuz.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

crossposting from the GBS wrestling thread

rndmnmbr posted:

"I will be there, like I said, in the Coliseum! Not because I love you, Maximus, but because I hate Commodus! Not because I love Rome, or the people of Rome, but because I hate Commodus with a passion! What I am going to do is, I am going to give Commodus an extreme makeover! I am going to give him a two-fisted makeover! I’m going to lower his eyes! I’m going to widen his nose! I’m gonna fatten his lips, and I’m gonna realign his teeth! And then I’m gonna pull every hair out of his head! I’m gonna put my foot so far up his rear end in a top hat, he’ll have to go the valetudinaria to get it out!"

-Terrius Funkus, AD 42.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tulip posted:

I'm trying to come up with a good Sun Wu one but I don't quite know how to summarize "everything works fine as long as one specific man doesn't die"

Ah, the famous Basil II Problem.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Basil II had Bulgars to keep eyes on things

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Cao Wei should be the bit where Homer falls asleep with a lit cigar in his mouth immediately after saying “boy, everyone is stupid except me”

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Tulip posted:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
See now I just wanna start assigning chengyu to Egyptian dynasties

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
33rd dynasty: Say the line, Bart

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

33rd dynasty: Say the line, Bart

Rome/Ancient History: 33rd dynasty: Say the line, Bart

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Horemheb

Crisis of the Third Century

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 9, 2023

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Augustus

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I've got Akhenaten :hmmyes:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the sea peoples

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

:five:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I've got Akhenaten :hmmyes:

Lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Amazing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Flying to Toulouse in two days and then Italy a few days after that so I just wanted to re-ask if anyone has any good roman poo poo to visit?

Also thanks to folks who told me Ostia Antica bc I wouldn’t have known about it and it seems like probably the closest place you can get to being roman without a time machine

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hadrian's Villa was pretty cool when I went there (and a fun adventure to reach on public transit)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1702424043612434939

Yeah? So????

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Also my assigned war is WW2.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

At least in America we bake Roman motifs/references into like...everything? I'm amazed that somebody wouldn't think about Ancient Rome on a daily basis, it'd be like not thinking about food on a daily basis.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm more of a Roman Republic kind of guy

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tulip posted:

At least in America we bake Roman motifs/references into like...everything? I'm amazed that somebody wouldn't think about Ancient Rome on a daily basis, it'd be like not thinking about food on a daily basis.

It’s a “boys wear blue and girls wear pink“ sort of meme. I would assume anyone who really gets into that sort of toxic gendering isn’t much of a history buff in the first place.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dont think about the Roman Empire I think about the completely separate Byzantine Empire

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Crab Dad posted:

Also my assigned war is WW2.

For shame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcNNQ1Y3qgo

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

every goddamn day

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
"I took three semesters of Latin, so...."

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the finest roman artifact is the dderidex class warbird, designed by andrew probert

https://twitter.com/ArtofTrek/status/1295736191334187009

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Grand Fromage posted:

Eh Sui is one of those overnight dynasties like the Jin that didn’t even really survive it’s founder. The real big missing piece there is the Northern&Southern Dynasties period which lasted two centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Sui was a lot more impactful though. Jin dissolved back into competing states, whereas Sui was basically responsible for everything Tang gets credit for.