Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, paired to one of my Galaxy Phones, there's a toggle to backup to Samsung Cloud. So, that's lovely if they are now gatekeeping that feature behind Samsung phones.

I also wonder if maybe the updated apps aren't all pushed to the Play store since this is ahead of the official launch date.

Here's a comparison in the screen size difference between the Watch 6 and Watch 4 (both 44mm), case is otherwise exactly the same size.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I gave Samsung a lot of crap about this generation of watches and I still stand by them seemingly resting on their laurels as far as pushing the capabilities of these wearables further (for example, there's been zero improvement on health and fitness tracking for this gen.)

That said, goddamn did they nail the aesthetics this time. Both black and silver watch 6 classics are really beautiful devices, so much so that I don't know how often I'll wear my Pro anymore. I still have both the black and titanium pros and I'm probably going to let go of the black one and just keep the one pro for when I know I'll need better endurance and/or durability.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been swimming with my titanium Pro in the Mediterranean lately. So far so good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GW6 Classic 47mm (and really, by extension, the regular 44mm) has been...fine on battery.

It's not the pro, but it is better than the Watch 4 Classic was.

Still in the learning phase, but yesterday I used it for a full day without all the setup stuff going on. Took it off the charger at about 9:30 in the morning and put it back around 1:30am. So, in all, about 16 hours use. It was 55% when I put it on the charger before I went to bed. AoD, lift to wake, continuous heartrate all on.

So, that tracks with being able to easily hit 24 hours with sleep tracking and probably make it to the end of the 2nd day. Tossing it on the charger for 15-20 minutes while showering/getting ready in the morning would probably get you through sleep tracking on the 2nd night and into the 3rd day.

Watch 5 pro would have 75-80% left after the same level of use.

The display differences though. I think part of it is the larger, newer display, but I think part of it is the crystal. I remember that the 5 Pro had a harder crystal than the normal Watch 5 last year and I'm pretty sure even when I compare it to the normal Watch 5, the display isn't quite as clear and vibrant. The same can be said against the Watch 6/6 Classic. It really seems like the blacks are deeper on the 6 vs the 5 Pro and the colors just more crisp.

I'll probably still go with my 5 Pro if I'm traveling or something. In those cases, I really need to grab charges in short segments because I would use the watch as an alarm (and need to wear it to bed) and I may not have a full hour to leave it charge up. So, the longer battery much a huge difference there (not to mention the durability enhancements while traveling). But for everyday wear, the Watch 6 Classic nails it. The 47mm looks perfect on my wrist, it has more than enough battery life to get through a full day and night if need be, and can be dressed up and down super easily.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been running one of those Matteo Dini watch faces on the new watch (specifically MD307), and I'm not sure if it's directly related but my battery life on the 6 Classic has been fluctuating wildly since I started wearing it. The battery use chart only attributed less than 1% of the drain to that watch face app, seems like mostly it was the always on display, but one day the "google play services" were going nuts which I think did most of the damage. I had the always on display on my 4 and could usually get two days out of a charge so i dunno. I've switched that watch face out for a stock one for the time being just to see if it goes away.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Still waiting for my One UI 5 update

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Any TicWatch Pro 5 owners about? I'm on the fence about waiting for the pixel watch 2 and the TW looks to be a great piece of kit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm thinking to myself that I wouldn't hold Mobvoi (do they still even use that name?) to a very high level of hardware support, but then I probably wouldn't with Google either. I did like my TWP3, probably would have kept using it except the buttons stopped working. I did get 2 years out of it. GW5P has been superb.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Thanks, the support does bother me. I'm going to hold out on the pixel watch 2. I loved the brief fling I had with the 1 with the exception of the battery being complete garbage. Here's hoping to 24-48 hours from the 2...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't expect more than a 15% battery life gain with the Pixel Watch 2.

Physics is physics and it still only has a ~300mAh battery. There's no miracle SoC that's going to make a battery that small last much longer.

It has the same battery life of other full smart watches of the same size and the needle isn't moving for battery life in that segment YoY.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I've been out of the smartwatch game for a few years but am starting to poke around at options that do blood pressure monitoring and am seeing some conflicting information...

A few questions to anyone with experience:
1) Is this even worth looking into at this point? Are the results in the ballpark of accurate? I'm an old and am not as good at checking BP as I should be, is this feasible as a 'throw money at the problem' solution?
2) Does BP monitoring even work in the US? If some of what I'm reading is correct, it looks like this feature is often not allowed here? Sure is making it fun figuring out options...
3) For folks that wear a watch when you sleep, when do you actually charge it up? Is a quick top off when you are getting ready in the morning good enough to keep it going or would I need to figure out a couple hours a day to charge it?

Thanks for any help!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I know of no smartwatch with US approval for BP monitoring.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
android police put out an article about blood pressure monitoring wearables a couple days ago
https://www.androidpolice.com/blood-pressure-smartwatches/

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

butt dickus posted:

android police put out an article about blood pressure monitoring wearables a couple days ago
https://www.androidpolice.com/blood-pressure-smartwatches/

Well poop. Well at least I know I don't have to keep digging right now. Thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My 2 cents.

Blood pressure readings can never be passive due to the huge number of factors that affect them so I don’t really see the point of having it on a watch. If I have to stop, sit still, have my arms in a certain position, in order to get a reading from a watch, I might as well just use a blood pressure cuff.

There some portability aspect to it. However, if you need to monitor your blood pressure so closely that you have to do it multiple times a day without fail at specific time intervals, a watch is never going to be accurate enough for that data.

I don’t really think we are going to see a significant increase in causal wearable utility in daily health until we have reliable continuous (or near continuous) glucose readings. Not only will it be significant for diabetics, having that much data on individual blood/glucose levels will hopefully lead to better tailored dietary programs for health and weight loss.

As it stands with health/fitness monitoring for wearables:

1) Afib detection does have real impact on people, but it is also a niche function for most people.
2) If you are training for a specific goal and you know how to properly interpret the data, then the metrics can help you get better
3) Otherwise it’s just casual background fitness than can be nice to see long term trends as mental reinforcement that what you are doing is working (or if you are backsliding), but otherwise there isn’t a huge impact on your overall health due to the data from the wearable.

I have millions of data points for heart rate data by now. I wear my Charge 5 during my martial arts class several times a week and track all that data. I track my sleep every night. I’ve never done a goddamn thing with that data and I would be at the same level of health today had I not even collected it.

The ONLY time where a mobile health tracker made a difference for me is I bought a KardiaMobile 6L a little be after my heart attack (while also knowing that a 6 lead is not enough to detect a heart attack) and I was able to use it to capture what I felt like a flutter at times. I sent that to my cardiologist and he was able to say that it was just some premature ventricular contractions that I didn’t need to be concerned about. So, I guess that gave me some piece of mind and saved me a single doctor’s visit.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 29, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got OneUI 5 on my Watch 5 Pros this morning.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not here (Canada if it makes a difference) yet.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
today when i went to mow my yard, i put on my watch and earbuds like normal, and opened youtube music to play the same album i always play which i have downloaded on my watch. i tap it from the "Downloads" section and instead of getting a play button, i get a checkmark and a shuffle icon. tapping the checkmark asks me if i want to remove the download from my watch, and tapping the shuffle button shuffles the album, neither of which are things i want. how do i get it to play the album straight through like it used to?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

Not here (Canada if it makes a difference) yet.
Dropped today

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the Watch4 series expected to get One UI 5?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Last article I saw says yes. Just nothing earlier. But I guess everything after 3 is WearOS and not Tizen.

My 5 has been so ridiculously better than 3 ... the ecosystem wasn't as bad as people acted on Tizen, but the fact that apps can actually stay open on WearOS makes all the difference.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just checked again and now it's downloading that update. Exciting?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There honestly isn't much difference other than being able to switch phones without resetting.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I use the timer all the time in the kitchen so nice to have a tile. The bike workout thing I don't know is that helpful to me unless it can sync to Strava (assuming no).

The WearOS Strava app is really good and the GPS works much better than my phone in my pocket, but it has the stupidest bug where it won't record time if you have the default auto start/stop on. I assumed it would get fixed eventually with people online complaining about it regularly, but it's been half a year.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So now I have to use Smart Switch in order to back the watch up, if I'm understanding correctly? And it requires... all the permissions. That's terrible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It also like, doesn't work so I wouldn't bother.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just installed the update on my Watch 5 - we'll see how it goes.

Now if Mobvoi would ever get around to releasing on WearOS 3 for my Ticwatch E3 then I could see how viable that watch is with a more modern OS. Pretty much zero chance it would make it supplant the Watch 5 as my daily driver, but having my backup watch be more competent would be nice.

Especially if Mobvoi improves their internationalization so everything wasn't low-effort Engrish, although I hold out little hope for that. The Korean app I use to communicate with my partner does a better job with internationalization, even though you can definitely tell that anything outside the Korean market for them is a bit of an afterthought.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

lol for some reason the update changed the standard Samsung live wallpaper I liked so much. The new version is fine, but I liked the previous sand-art one better. Why not have both options?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a Pixel 6 and a Galaxy Watch 5. Are there plusses and minuses to installing the Samsung Health app? It would be nice to see my heartrate over time instead of being limited to one day at a time on the watch itself.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Can't really think of any minuses beyond needing to turn off a ton of different notification types if you don't want to be prompted for a bunch of stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
After nearly three years of Assistant on 2.x just bringing up search results instead of..anything you ask it to do (i.e., if you say turn on the TV it brings up search results for..how to turn on a TV, very good) they just deep sixed it and said you can use it on 3.x instead. Except they don't allow every vendor to use Assistant on 3.x, so..yeah.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/172776291#comment403

very cool lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fossil added Assistant quite awhile ago on WearOS3 so I don't think there's anything stopping others like Mobvoi at this point.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Opinions on the Pixel Watch 1 now that it's received a bunch of updates? Have they improved it by adding more baseline features? For eg., put the watch in do not disturb mode when the phone switches to dnd?

I got one as an incentive to buy another phone but quite content with the Galaxy Watch 4 Classic so far. The health stuff on the 4 Just Works.

Google's track record isn't great when it comes to product managing between different competing initiatives of their own, leave alone the purchase of an external entity like Fitbit. So I'm pretty skeptical of how long it'll take then to figure out how to make Fitbit a part of the core offering. The branding seems confused already.

On the other hand, just switched to a Pixel phone again, so it would be nice to be in a single ecosystem again. Just skeptical that Fitbit will be integrated well for a long time yet. Unfounded?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, it basically is a FitBit. Fitbit is the only built in fitness tracking on it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Google Health stuff is dead? They actually pulled the trigger on it? I thought they were going to integrate the two somehow, which they haven't shown any real ability to manage well over the years.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's no product called Google Heath, it's just what they call a suit of offerings around general health of which Fitbit is one.

Fitbit is really only the only fitness offering. I mean, there's Fit, but that's dying on the vine.

There's Heath Connect, but that's about sharing metrics between different platforms.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks, that's useful to know.

Still haven't opened the box. May sell it yet. Not much of a window with the 2nd version coming out soon sounds like.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

On vacation and I took my Watch 5 Pro with me since it has the biggest battery and is the most durable.

I had forgotten what a beast this thing is on battery. Took it off the charger when I left Friday morning and now I'm at 38 hours and it's only down to 42%. That's with AoD on, continuous heart rate, tilt to wake, basically everything turned on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Fossil added Assistant quite awhile ago on WearOS3 so I don't think there's anything stopping others like Mobvoi at this point.

If Mobvoi ever updates the Ticwatch E3 then I might be able to find out. Their product support is not what I would call agile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Watch completely died last night. After booting up again, the watch battery indicator is gone as well as the new widgets (though they still show configured if I look at my watchfaces config)