Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I haven't played Starfield but all the complaints about it already makes me hate it a lot

Other games that are pretty mid like FFXVI still don't even get half the complaints that Starfield does

Probably because people are like "It's incredibly epic, the sidequests are amazing and you can go anywhere" and its basically the same writing as every other Bethesda game, the engine can't even go seamlessly from atmosphere to space like NMS was pulling off seven years ago, and every minute of footage shown off is either running across a dead landscape, shooting space bandits, or interacting with dead-eyed NPCs.

FFXIV had a lot of complaints about its general writing, quests, and the running around the field you do, but at least it did something cool with its bosses and combat system. And with FF you always know you're getting something new. Does it always work out? Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Starfield is mid but like that's fine. A game being okay at worst is still miles better than a lot of real poo poo out there. Starfield's problem is more marketing, hype and reviews making a game appear as some sort of big leap forward when it's just a new coat of paint.

Did you have fun in Fallout 4? Congrats you'll have fun with Starfield.

If a game cost millions and millions of dollars to end up just “okay” it might be time to re-examine things

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not the first time and won't be the last

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Jay Rust posted:

If a game cost millions and millions of dollars to end up just “okay” it might be time to re-examine things

Yeah they'll do that if sales are hosed up or it releases as bad as Cyberpunk did.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I mean, it's great to know Elder Scrolls 6 will basically be the same game it's always been. Nice and safe like a warm blanket I can sink 1000 hours in, hype and looking forward to it - Stealth archer here we come baby.

But maaaaaaaaybe a brand new IP set in space should be a little more ambitious than iterative.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I agree? Like I'm not saying you can't talk poo poo about it and how it plays incredibly safe just that at its worst it plays like any of their other games which is fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

D.Fuzzbot posted:

not necessarily, it's different in some fundamental ways

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I think in some ways 'fine' is actually the goal for these big releases. If you don't take big swings you won't miss and people will play a game that's 'fine' forever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most billion dollar AAA games struggle to reach 'fine' so sure

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Yeah no, I enjoyed Fallout 4 more than a lot of people but Starfield bored me and felt actively worse.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://i.imgur.com/mcH90Bv.mp4

Got another sicknasty rear end-clenching kill in AC6 NG+

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've gotten so many kills at 1 HP due to the Terminal Shield that I can't tell if I'm terrible at the game and it's just a crutch, or if it just makes the wins that much cooler

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

njsykora posted:

Yeah no, I enjoyed Fallout 4 more than a lot of people but Starfield bored me and felt actively worse.

If the hook was Emperor Space Alien Is Enslaving The Human Race, Find The Maguffin To Save Us All it'd probably be at least more interesting than Magic Space Vision Rock

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Volte posted:

I've gotten so many kills at 1 HP due to the Terminal Shield that I can't tell if I'm terrible at the game and it's just a crutch, or if it just makes the wins that much cooler

Amusingly I've never used any core expansion that wasn't Assault Armour.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Starfield is their worst game because they gave me a big where I can't beat the game and feel done with it. I'm in this weird limbo where I wanted to push through this POS and see if I liked it more on the other side of NG+, but the game is broken so I can't do that. The ending just can't trigger because at one point in the game I modified my ship slightly to upgrade some parts, which apparently breaks an important end-game dialogue box you need to trigger. Unless they patch fast, reckon in a week or so a lot of people will be hitting that bug. I should've listened to the people who said to tgm and tcl my way through NG.

It's like I have to sneeze but Todd stuck his finger up my nose so now I can't sneeze or get this weird smell out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ibblebibble posted:

Amusingly I've never used any core expansion that wasn't Assault Armour.

I never really used it in 4A but it's amazing in 6

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, I got an orbital laser and the phone numbers of a cat, a masochist, and a prawn. A few rounds up the battle tower after work and I should be able to defeat a man in his late 50s.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, I got an orbital laser and the phone numbers of a cat, a masochist, and a prawn. A few rounds up the battle tower after work and I should be able to defeat a man in his late 50s.

“A man”, that’s cute.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

you need more levels in dominatrix

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

This is the next game on my list but it sounds v engrossing so I gotta clean up the last few things from Pikmin 4 first lest they completely fall by the wayside

Do not sleep on Pikmin 4 everyone. Like 3 was Pikmin 1 on steroids so goes 4 in relation to 2

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/RANK10YGO/status/1700597698678689908

https://twitter.com/nyanbombdotcom/status/1700602438590300498

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntvz8PW3bFQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXXFC0emkU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/BlooberTeam/status/1699894056330166434?s=20

Well, isn't that nice for ol' Bloober Team! Never heard of Feardemic though, let's just see...

oh i see

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I'm glad bloober team gave bloober team a pat on the back for their work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah they did a good trailer which definitely means anything about the game's quality (also the trailer was not good)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

congrats to Bloober Team on their well-deserved Best Bloober Team win at the The Bloober Team Awards

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Team bloober sweeping the bloobies

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently some of their stuff is half decent (and I liked their recreation of early 90s Krakow in The Medium, I didn't bother playing much further), but they always find a way to embarrass themselves. (Remember Sadness?)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bloober a Muirbe

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bloober? I barely KNOW her!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Press X to Bloober

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trailer looks OK, hits all the right notes, but I hope they're not done working on the facial animation

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

Trailer looks OK, hits all the right notes, but I hope they're not done working on the facial animation

if they're being this self-congratulatory about it then i wouldn't get my hopes up

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have cleared Yeah! You Want "Those Games", Right? So Here You Go! Now, Let's See You Clear Them!

That was neat and for ten bucks it felt like a nice casual game to chip away at. I think the ones I enjoyed the most were "Color Lab" (towers of hanoi style) and "Parking Lot" (like a sliding tile/sokoban combo). The ones that were the most like the mobile game ads, "Pin Pull" and "Number Tower", were fine. The one annoying one was "Cash Run" which was like a subway surfers thing but with really finicky controls and weird collision.

Useful life advice

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have cleared Yeah! You Want "Those Games", Right? So Here You Go! Now, Let's See You Clear Them!

That was neat and for ten bucks it felt like a nice casual game to chip away at. I think the ones I enjoyed the most were "Color Lab" (towers of hanoi style) and "Parking Lot" (like a sliding tile/sokoban combo). The ones that were the most like the mobile game ads, "Pin Pull" and "Number Tower", were fine. The one annoying one was "Cash Run" which was like a subway surfers thing but with really finicky controls and weird collision.

Useful life advice

that traffic jam one is based on a real puzzle game you can get in physical board form

it comes with a deck of cards showing different puzzle arrangements to try.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 10, 2023

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I played the first half of the Medium and and actually thought what was there was pretty good, but just stopped for some reason. Ive heard the second half goes off the rails?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alright, my party is level 50, I've used my tower money to buy out every restorative item in every Sotenbori store, back to Ijincho to up bond levels, I think I'm good to go.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yooooooooooooooooooo