Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
eddington parked his maquis raider in front of the parliament buildings in ottawa and he won't leave until he gets to gently caress the prime minister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Voyager felt like it very quickly dropped the potential of the merged crews as a storytelling element, but I imagine that was due to interference because from what I’ve heard the writers really wanted to explore the “lost and alone trying to scrape by with two competing ideologies” and the execs were like “what about Jeri Ryan in a jumpsuit talking about tachyons” and made it much more episodic. Weirdly DS9 got to do the long-term arcs that Voyager didn’t. Year of Hell felt like the writers trying desperately to say “this is the story we wanted to tell”.

They explicitly wanted "Year of Hell" to be a season-long deal and Berman et al. were like "but what if someone misses an episode? They'd be too lost! Denied."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's definitely not great that they never really depict the plight of the Maquis colonists directly. All the characters who speak for the Maquis in DS9 aren't actually colonists, they're all starfleet personnel who have gone over to fight for the cause. The original TNG episode where Native Americans choose annexation over eviction isn't even really about the people on the planet because it's all a weird and creepy bait and switch for setting Wesley off on some kind of grand destiny. The episode where Ro Laren defects is probably the closest the franchise gets, and there they depict the colonies in the demilitarized zone not just being humans that the Federation seemingly has the duty to help the Cardassians suppress if they can't evict, there's also Bajorans who have no place else to go.

The most detail you get about Maquis life is Cal Hudson's speech on there being constant violence against the colonists that the Cardassian government was facilitating, which everything else about the way the Cardassian Union operated does seem to jive with.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
The Game! This is the one where somebody downthread did a description of it that made it sound like the craziest thing ever and... Yeah, it's certainly very silly. A lady from the planet Butthead (not to be confused with the planet Arseface as seen in the episode Deja Q) gets Riker addicted to a poo poo looking game that makes him pull cum faces. He brings it back to the ship and soon everybody is making cum faces. Picard's cum face is a very stoic one. Beverly's meanwhile is both very convincing and quite awkward because she's doing it when Wesley walks in. Yes, our teen whizzkid is back and snogging Ashley Judd and together they save the day by just letting Data do it instead at the very last moment. Very stupid stuff. However, it does have a faint Body Snatchers creep factor of seeing our trusty crew all ganging up to stop the young buck. And y'know what? I'm happy to see him.

Unification I: For the first time, I'm letting a cliffhanger... Uh, hang. It is a loving good one and I'm intrigued of course, but I'm sticking to my two a night rigidly. The overall quality of the story remains to be seen, the tragic Sarek scene and subsequent revelation of his death, that hits super hard coming after the dedication to Gene before the cold open. I think I did actually see this when it first aired on the BBC and it was quite a big thing at the time, but I remember being bored by it. That would probably because I would have been about 11/12 and an idiot who couldn't sit still for five seconds. As an adult, yeah, reasonably gripping. Anyway, yes, Spock walks out, woo hoo, I'm sure I'll get a nice pay off tomorrow.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

They explicitly wanted "Year of Hell" to be a season-long deal and Berman et al. were like "but what if someone misses an episode? They'd be too lost! Denied."

I hate to agree with Berman but he was right on this one. The correct answer would have been "3-4 part TV movie inside the season" because the money was made on syndication, not on first show.

But Berman was a person so that also wasn't an option. Funnily after he left, ENT did basically only TV movies and bridge-over episodes and got better. Much, much better.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ashpanash posted:

I agree!

That's why I think what we should really celebrate is the 1% that does it better.

Or you could recognize that a story doesn't need long-term consequences to be meaningful or entertaining. Most people call "The Visitor" their favorite episode of the entire franchise and that one literally never gets referenced again, even indirectly.

Der Kyhe posted:

I hate to agree with Berman but he was right on this one. The correct answer would have been "3-4 part TV movie inside the season" because the money was made on syndication, not on first show.

The vast majority of local stations ran syndicated shows in their original broadcast order anyway, this was always a network boogeyman without substance. Also, soap operas were a thing since, like, forever.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 9, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Serial mass media fiction predates television anyhow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MuddyFunster posted:

The Game! This is the one where somebody downthread did a description of it that made it sound like the craziest thing ever and... Yeah, it's certainly very silly. A lady from the planet Butthead (not to be confused with the planet Arseface as seen in the episode Deja Q) gets Riker addicted to a poo poo looking game that makes him pull cum faces. He brings it back to the ship and soon everybody is making cum faces. Picard's cum face is a very stoic one. Beverly's meanwhile is both very convincing and quite awkward because she's doing it when Wesley walks in. Yes, our teen whizzkid is back and snogging Ashley Judd and together they save the day by just letting Data do it instead at the very last moment. Very stupid stuff. However, it does have a faint Body Snatchers creep factor of seeing our trusty crew all ganging up to stop the young buck. And y'know what? I'm happy to see him

Loeffler's Laws are the worst thing ever. Still, the pair had decent chemistry, Wesley is on top of poo poo in a believable way, and the game CGI is so loving bad. Good episode.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Wesley having to do a full on commando operation was pretty cool but again showed just how terrible enterprise security is like the time Data took over or the other time that super soldier escaped. Like the transporters should be password coded and if you don’t have time to get approval you should only be able to emergency transport into the transporter room.

My favorite was data doing a “rolling force field” which made Worf and some other guys back up. Like my man they only appear in the bulkhead joints you can just stand still then you’ll be in the same “bubble” as him.

Also the computer should be able to tell if it’s really Picard on the bridge entering codes or a deep fake based on, at the minimum, life signs present or not.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How many security breaches in Star Trek could be solved by simply installing a camera in sensitive areas, like Engineering and Transporter Rooms? There's more than once in TOS where someone just strides right into areas and no one's there to stop them.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

William Riker says this game will make you cum in 30 seconds

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Step-spock....wh..what are you doing

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

How many security breaches in Star Trek could be solved by simply installing a camera in sensitive areas, like Engineering and Transporter Rooms? There's more than once in TOS where someone just strides right into areas and no one's there to stop them.

Avoiding spoilers, but it's a minor plot point in the Lower Decks season premiere that the ship they're working on has had cameras installed every-drat-where.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

McSpanky posted:

Or you could recognize that a story doesn't need long-term consequences to be meaningful or entertaining. Most people call "The Visitor" their favorite episode of the entire franchise and that one literally never gets referenced again, even indirectly.

No no no, you're completely misunderstanding my original point. Disaster wasn't a trite and forgettable episode because it didn't have later consequences. It was trite and forgettable because it was a generic and rote paint-by-the-numbers script. My point about the relationship drama that was in the episode is that it is my strong suspicion that the reason most people have any sort of fondness for it is because of the little relationship nuggets - and hell, looking back, I even misremembered that. I for some reason got Disaster and Conundrum confused with regards to the Ro/Riker stuff. Conundrum was a much more well-written episode.

There's no contest with regards to The Visitor vs. Disaster. One is a well-written, character-based emotional episode with an intriguing sci-fi twist and a story it wants to tell, and the other is a lazy plot-driven bottle episode drenched in technobabble that apes old tropes without trying anything particularly new, interesting, or clever. It gets by mostly on the actors' performances, not because 'Captain Picard stuck in an elevator with precocious kids' was a story that desperately needed to be told.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How is it generic, it's one of the most unique story setups in the whole series

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It’s literally a disaster movie plot. Change the character names and the setting and it’s one of those lovely volcano movies. Some different technobabble aside you’d barely have to change the script. How could it get more generic?

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 9, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ashpanash posted:

It’s literally a disaster movie plot. Change the character names and the setting and it’s one of those lovely volcano movies. Some different technobabble aside you’d barely have to change the script. How could it get more generic?

Following an established formula doesn't necessarily make an episode bad, though.

Look at Balance of Terror -- beat for beat, it's a WW2 ship-vs-submarine movie. It's practically a remake of the movie The Enemy Below. And it's excellent.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
In sci-fi television there are only about two dozen plots that get cycled through at random.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What I like about it is that it creates some unusual groups. Bridge grouping is great, the shuttle bay is great, Riker and Data and Data's head are great. Worf delivers Molly!

Every character is foregrounded and has plenty to do. There's some real tension, some funny stuff, I'm not saying it's Yesterday's Enterprise but it's an A-tier episode

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Just finished All Good Things, and with it, my first ever chronological watch of the entire series of TNG. I had seen maybe half the show before this, mostly episodes in seasons 3-6, but never in order from start to finish, and most of seasons 1, 2, and 7 were entirely new to me. A while back I got the Blu-rays and decided to do the full watch for the first time; there were a few breaks in the middle, so it's taken a little longer than I expected, but it's nice to have finally done that. I had seen All Good Things before, but out of context, as just another episode. Watching it again as the conclusion to everything, and knowing it's the last part of TNG in this watchthrough other than the movies, makes it hit a lot harder.

I also decided partway through TNG that I was going to turn this into the start of a watch/re-watch of every Star Trek ever, so there's still a ways to go. I started on DS9 at the point in TNG S6 where it started, so I'm almost done with S2 of that. I've seen about 95% of DS9 already, but again never in order from start to finish, so I'm looking forward to watching it all again as it comes into its own. And at the right point in the next season of DS9 I'll start on Voyager, a show that I've seen very little of and am actually looking forward to experiencing for mostly the first time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like Disaster because it shows that Picard has changed. Season 1 Picard would have thrown at least one kid down the turbolift shaft on purpose.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

I like Disaster because it shows that Picard has changed. Season 1 Picard would have thrown at least one kid down the turbolift shaft on purpose.

Season 1 Picard in Disaster would have been that statue of that dude fighting a bunch of babies for some reason.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Disaster gave us Worf delivering a baby, which had one of the best follow-up lines years later in DS9

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The refit Enterprise most certainly had cameras in Engineering. There's a whole bit about it in Star Trek III.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FuturePastNow posted:

Disaster gave us Worf delivering a baby, which had one of the best follow-up lines years later in DS9

NOW??

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lord Hydronium posted:

The concern of the Maquis in that two parter isn't really about moving from their homes because of border issues (like it is in Journey's End, for example), it's that they're living in a region that's supposed to be demilitarized, but from their perspective only one side is honoring that, and the Cardassians are secretly pouring in weapons to start poo poo while the Federation keeps pretending everything's okay. I recently rewatched it and their position was a lot more sympathetic than I had remembered it. I think later episodes kind of lose that thread and they become more frontier LARPers, and Eddington is personally not very sympathetic as a spokesman, but I think the early seed of it is solid. Whether to ignore Cardassian aggression or push back even at the risk of heightening the conflict is an issue that I can see genuinely splitting a lot of people in the Federation.

Yeah, this summarizes it exactly. You even have Sisko frustratedly expressing sympathy with the Maquis ("it's easy to be a saint in paradise!") to Kira, without approving of their turning to violence.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

nine-gear crow posted:

Season 1 Picard in Disaster would have been that statue of that dude fighting a bunch of babies for some reason.

"I'm... not good with kids."

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Animal-Mother posted:

"I'm... not good with kids."

Compare with Season 7: "I'm a role model!"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The most detail you get about Maquis life is Cal Hudson's speech on there being constant violence against the colonists that the Cardassian government was facilitating, which everything else about the way the Cardassian Union operated does seem to jive with.

Imagine if your home was sinking but you had infinite places to move to and it didn't cost any money.
Sure it might be a bit sad to abandon your home but if you stuck there regardless of the sinking then honestly gently caress you

That's how I feel about the Maquis. Just move! You've not even lived there very long.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taear posted:

Imagine if your home was sinking but you had infinite places to move to and it didn't cost any money.
Sure it might be a bit sad to abandon your home but if you stuck there regardless of the sinking then honestly gently caress you

That's how I feel about the Maquis. Just move! You've not even lived there very long.

does this make the cardassians aquaman

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arivia posted:

does this make the cardassians aquaman

Imagine if the people in the houses that are sinking because the world is ending got told "Okay cool here's infinity money, move wherever you like" and they went "NO" and started bombing the sea,

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Taear posted:

Imagine if the people in the houses that are sinking because the world is ending got told "Okay cool here's infinity money, move wherever you like" and they went "NO" and started bombing the sea,

that doesn't answer the question, benny shaps

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

But Berman was a person so that also wasn't an option. Funnily after he left, ENT did basically only TV movies and bridge-over episodes and got better. Much, much better.

My understanding is that the Year of Hell wouldn't have been that the episode Year of Hell would be stretched over the whole season, but rather that the episode would've taken place over a shorter amount of time, Voyager would've stayed wrecked at the end and that they'd be struggling against lots of stuff they could barely handle all season for the episodic stuff, with the whole season being a hellish year. Berman rejected it because he didn't want them to mess with the formula.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

bennyfactor posted:

The refit Enterprise most certainly had cameras in Engineering. There's a whole bit about it in Star Trek III.

Right, only to forget about it again by TNG. I love the trope where Worf notices someone going on a shuttlecraft joyride by the time they're halfway to Alpha Centauri.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MikeJF posted:

My understanding is that the Year of Hell wouldn't have been that the episode Year of Hell would be stretched over the whole season, but rather that the episode would've taken place over a shorter amount of time, Voyager would've stayed wrecked at the end and that they'd be struggling against lots of stuff they could barely handle all season for the episodic stuff, with the whole season being a hellish year. Berman rejected it because he didn't want them to mess with the formula.
That's basically what they did with Enterprise Season 3, so I guess he eventually got there.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's basically what they did with Enterprise Season 3, so I guess he eventually got there.

And then it goes on for too long!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
ENT S3 seems like a symptom of network standards for season lengths. I feel like if it were to be made these days, it would be about ten fewer episodes, which seems about right.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If it had been made today Enterprise would have been cancelled halfway through season 1.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

jeeves posted:

If it had been made today Enterprise would have been cancelled halfway through season 1.

Inshallah. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

jeeves posted:

I mean, Disco's gotten four seasons, so...