Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Tony Blair was just building up political capital and secret communist armies so that the means of production could be seized from the capitalists. If only this fine nation had voted for 10 more years of Labour government he would be able to unleash them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
To be fair, Blair enacted more left wing policies than Corbyn ever did.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Angepain posted:

Tony Blair was just building up political capital and secret communist armies so that the means of production could be seized from the capitalists. If only this fine nation had voted for 10 more years of Labour government he would be able to unleash them.

Gordon Brown's greatest trick was convincing the world he never existed

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Slap an El Paso tortilla on a plate, and add some chopped up veg to it.
That'll be £47.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Not really. The vast majority of CCTV installations are privately owned and aren't actively monitored; a significant number of them (regardless of ownership) are broken, turned to face a wall, have minimal recording facilities, or are potato systems from 1991; and none of them are installed according to any kind of plan or design with blind spots everywhere.

With even minimal awareness, or dumb luck, he just turns down a back street and disappears. This isn't China.

I feel like that “London has the most CCTV of any city” factoid was based on some kind of survey in like 2004 and has just been repeated for years ever since. I have no idea if it’s still true, or ever even really was.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Classy work as always from the BBC, suggesting that Muslims living in France don't count as French

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

One thing that has been bugging me since I heard about the ban on the Abaya: do French school children typically wear uniform? If not, is there anything to stop non-Muslims wearing an abaya to school?

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
They seemed to have found him somewhere in Chiswick:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66763054

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ellspurs posted:

They seemed to have found him somewhere in Chiswick:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66763054

It's honestly a very poor show, didn't even make it out of the Congestion Charge area. Feel like he'd have done better if he got further from London. Go somewhere on the east coast & steal a boat, then you're on the continent. You'd probably need to do it quick but I feel like a minor disguise you'd be fine on a bus out of London. It's either that or you stay local & stay out of sight for a week or two until the media have moved on to other stories & thus you increase the chance of not being spotted by members of the public.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
To Live And Die In ULEZ

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Doing a ballsy prison break and only making it from Wandsworth to Chiswick is laughably poor imho

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’d be grabbing a fake beard and some glasses asap tbh

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

smellmycheese posted:

Doing a ballsy prison break and only making it from Wandsworth to Chiswick is laughably poor imho

he got further but had left his cigs behind and was going back for them

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

Ran out of cash and didn't have the petty crime experience to get more perhaps?

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
He could've had a suitcase full of cash and still wouldn't have been able to take a bus in London.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jakabite posted:

Bare minimum, sunglasses & a baseball cap deal. Could probably also go for a wig, doesn't need to be a great one that stands up to close inspection, just something that makes you less obviously you at a glance.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Obviously none of you have seen The Dark Knight, or Skyfall. Getting back inside is all part of the plan.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

escapegoat posted:

He could've had a suitcase full of cash and still wouldn't have been able to take a bus in London.

Forgot to put points in pickpocket. Could have gotten very far with a pilfered card out of a wallet.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Boo, I'm disappointed, I was hoping he had a better plan than: sneak out of prison, then ???

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Bare minimum, sunglasses & a baseball cap deal. Could probably also go for a wig, doesn't need to be a great one that stands up to close inspection, just something that makes you less obviously you at a glance.

Bet you don't know who this is:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's the kid from Powder

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was thinking about this: bloody hard to hide these days, if you don't have people willing to help you out and conceal you.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nah I don't think it's that hard as long as you have cash and no traceable phone. That fake-rear end Hunted show is a psy-op to make it seem harder

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I was thinking about this: bloody hard to hide these days, if you don't have people willing to help you out and conceal you.

Did you ever watch Hunted on channel 4? Gameshow where the contestants need to hide from a crew of 'Hunters' who track them using CCTV, ANPR, bank transactions, email tracing etc. Was good fun, (a lot was simulated, as they didn't actually have access to bank transactions etc the rule was that if they did an ATM withdrawal the camera crew with them would phone in their location, etc).

The reason I mention it is in one of the series two brothers did a really good job of cleaning everything in advance, except they forgot to empty the recycling bin on their gmail which had an enquiry about a campsite on the coast.

Except they hadn't, they had left that on purpose and instead went to Bradford where they disappeared into the Muslim community for a while, with people who would let them stay with them without spending any money (which is the downfall of a lot of the contestants).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jakabite posted:

Ah yes, the lesser known form of marxism.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Bet you don't know who this is:

das ist villie hague

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Who will be the William Hague to Keith’s Blair? Mordant seems to fancy it but I feel like they’ll go for a proper wingnut

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
everythign i've read about that lad makes it sound like he's a practical joker who didn't know when to pack it in

quote:

Another said ahead of his recapture: "Some funny stories I could tell you... One thing I will tell you though, he's not a terrorist. He doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

He was also into computer gaming - using the brand icon of the makers of Grand Theft Auto as his profile picture in a number of social media profiles.

One former fellow serviceman told BBC News that Mr Khalife tried to "be the joker" during basic training.

"He was either making funny remarks or trying to be cocky or stuff like that with the training staff," he recalled. "Just like when kids mess around at school with teachers really."

Prosecutors alleged that in August 2021 he obtained information about members of the armed forces from the Ministry of Defence Joint Personnel Administration System

He was also accused of a bomb hoax almost four weeks before his arrest. The court was told that he had allegedly placed three canisters with wires on a desk in his accommodation, intending people to believe the contraption was a real explosive device.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you do wonder if his actions would have been interpreted differently if his dad hadn't been lebanese

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rough justice from the long arm of the law

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

everythign i've read about that lad makes it sound like he's a practical joker who didn't know when to pack it in

He sounds like a right twat, if he wanted attention he's bloody well got it now.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and well, having a nosey on the work computers isn't on but it usually results in having to retake the computer use and data protection course again, not prison

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

smellmycheese posted:

Who will be the William Hague to Keith’s Blair? Mordant seems to fancy it but I feel like they’ll go for a proper wingnut
yeah, i'd guess Badenoch, she's young, hungry, and enough of a glassy-eyed psycho that she'll have a flagship policy along the lines of 'bring back hanging - for anyone convicted of Wokery' to capture the heart of the median Tory leadership voter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Rosie Duffield in sore loser article:

https://archive.ph/bPY2c

quote:

The dark arts of Starmer’s reshuffle
The charade was powered by sycophancy and spin
BY ROSIE DUFFIELD

So, back in the real world, I will continue to fulfil the role I have been permanently cast in: the child announcing the Emperor is stark naked as he parades a new suit of clothes spun by a couple of charlatan tailors, versed at spinning tall tales to please those in power.

original source: unherd.com/2023/09/the-dark-art-of-toadying-to-starmer/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

crispix posted:

you do wonder if his actions would have been interpreted differently if his dad hadn't been lebanese
If he'd been born a century earlier they'd have let him gently caress around drunk during WWI and then burn down Cork for a laugh even if his da was an Ottoman.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

original source: unherd.com/2023/09/the-dark-art-of-toadying-to-starmer/

Loving all the Harry Potter references, as if her true allegiance wasn't known

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

thanks unherd for trying to save me from reading the transphobia part by putting a subscription popup on top of that paragraph

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

https://twitter.com/annekarice/status/1700464109064519727?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

thanks unherd for trying to save me from reading the transphobia part by putting a subscription popup on top of that paragraph
The funniest part about all of her "Labour has a woman problem" nonsense is that none of those people said anything at all when a woman was sent to prison for terminating a pregnancy under a law written in 1861, entirely by men, 67 years before women got the vote.

It's also not funny at all despite being the funniest part, but you'd think that Duffield would be constantly up in arms about that if she wanted to address the woman problem that Labour actually has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Didn't realise that GB News hired Alan Partridge
https://twitter.com/PhilJonesy3/status/1700493969061298429