Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Talorat posted:

I mean by mass ants are the most significant organism on the planet. Doesn’t mean they have good stats. Sometimes it’s just a numbers game.

:actually: it's 🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Y'all going on about darkvision and ignoring the fact that the poster said a cantrip is no big deal lol

An entire race that's telekinetic. Races where people just innately have the ability to throw firebolts, or poison or acid or whatever other abilities are available. At will, 10 times per minute. gently caress your farming and loving settlement, it's on fire now.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

yay good doggo

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s0lznhxcSt1vi6uzc.mp4

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

ARE THERE ANY GIRLS THERE

IM GETTING DRUNK

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Takes No Damage posted:

:actually: it's 🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱🪱

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7YCZK2yQrY

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

the duality of man

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
MRS CLEO!!!! Hell yes! I always shipped her as Calypso from Twisted Metal's wife.

e,c:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Sep 9, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yet despite being one of the worst ancestries mechanically, humans still rule most of the land in the setting. :iiam:

It's written by humans. They're not gonna let some fantasy race run things. :ms:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

In fantasy, humans usually have the edge by being more social and/or more reckless. Like sure elves live super long but that’s also why they’re not going to try doing something insanely dangerous with magic that accidentally opens up an entire new field of study. Between that and a willingness to trade/travel/make friends with outsiders and collaborate on big projects, it makes sense in fiction for humans to be pretty successful despite having fewer advantages on an individual basis

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also elves just have super complicated genitals, as we learned from the dildo making thread

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

The technology for elf dildos just isn't there yet!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

LookieLoo posted:

The technology for elf dildos just isn't there yet!

The forums have done more than enough for that industry

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

It's written by humans. They're not gonna let some fantasy race run things. :ms:

Getting sick of all this humancentric fantasy, we need more books written by goblins

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Getting sick of all this humancentric fantasy, we need more books written by goblins

Get to it!

Oh, wait…

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

The forums have done more than enough for that industry

Yeah, I'm just gonna drop the link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785918&pagenumber=1&perpage=10

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kheldarn posted:

Get to it!

Oh, wait…

I don't like when the costumes are actually scary

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fantasy Race chat:
Even though Tolkien's Orcs are loaded with a bunch of tropes about them being primitive savage barbarians they're also meant to be a sort of representation of the Industrial Revolution. So if I ever wrote a fantasy novel (I won't) I'd make the Orcs basically 18th century Vogons with a heavily ordered and early industrialised society and guns and the heroes a bunch of semi-nomadic pastoralists that dress like this

Elves would be literal nature spirits and minor dieties. Dwarves obviously worm people.

Make it more like a war of the worlds type deal where a bunch of feuding chieftaindoms are invaded by a slightly less evil East India Company. A bit like ASOIF if Martin ever gets around to the actual Snow Elf invasion.

It's probably been done before though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The idea of how fantasy "races" or species exist and relate to each other has really massively changed over the generations. Since they've often been used as stand-ins for race in the real world, they've kinda adapted along with the times. They've gone from "different fantasy races are significantly different in terms of innate ability and temperament and mostly keep to their own as is natural with peoples that are so incredibly and innately different" to "actually all fantasy races are basically the same and it's like hair colour or something, barely more than an aesthetic difference"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fantasy Race chat:
Even though Tolkien's Orcs are loaded with a bunch of tropes about them being primitive savage barbarians they're also meant to be a sort of representation of the Industrial Revolution. So if I ever wrote a fantasy novel (I won't) I'd make the Orcs basically 18th century Vogons with a heavily ordered and early

Tolkien's orcs are biological weapons Melkor created. Not from nothing though, the original breeding stock was either captured elves, or humans, depending on which revision you believe. Orcs being twisted elves is problematic, because does it mean they also live forever and their souls go to the Halls of Mandos? If not, what power does Melkor have to sever that connection that was decreed by Eru Iluvatar?

Anyway, there was no savage orc tribe, they began as weapons and were one of the things Morgoth infused with his essence, like dragons and wargs. So it makes sense in universe that all orcs are evil. Not like the humans that fight for either Morgoth or Sauron, they are described as misled.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I could've sworn there is mentions of tribes and I know there was a huge (i.e. almost man high) Orc Chieftain in Moria.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FreudianSlippers posted:

I could've sworn there is mentions of tribes and I know there was a huge (i.e. almost man high) Orc Chieftain in Moria.

Maybe whenever Sauron falls the surviving orcs gently caress off and become tribal until he comes back.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Baronjutter posted:

The idea of how fantasy "races" or species exist and relate to each other has really massively changed over the generations. Since they've often been used as stand-ins for race in the real world, they've kinda adapted along with the times. They've gone from "different fantasy races are significantly different in terms of innate ability and temperament and mostly keep to their own as is natural with peoples that are so incredibly and innately different" to "actually all fantasy races are basically the same and it's like hair colour or something, barely more than an aesthetic difference"

While i get the new sort way of thinking with fantasy races, i really like when fantasy races are fundamentally different, in culture most of all. Thats the fun thing about real life history, when differing cultures interact with eachother, for better or worse.

it just that usually Nerds cant be trusted with anything like that otherwise its, "Humans are the whites, every other fantasy race is something else, the browner the culture the more evil"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman also also breeds orca and humans together so.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

FreudianSlippers posted:

When Morgoth was defeated and cast out through the door of night, many orcs still remained. They continued living in middle earth and spread out and organized in various ways. Sometimes they fought for Sauron directly, sometimes not, but they always had the essence of Morgoth inside them.

I didn't mean to say there were no orc tribes ever, just that they didn't begin that way.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Sep 9, 2023

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wasn't the post-script for Lord Of the Rings basically Aragorn spending the rest of his life doing a genocide on what orcs remain?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If we're still doing this — Elves weren't just "better at everything", they were also less able to do cool spontaneous stuff the way humans do, because their relationship with free will is more complicated. Their lives are basically preplanned. They don't "seek beyond the world", and their idea of a(n immortal) life well lived is to sing songs and dance among the trees. Humans can do more than that. Humans can dream up whole new worlds and alter their own destinies in a way that would never occur to Elves.

Also: Elves are only "immortal" in the sense that when the world ends, so do they. The life of the world is a blink of an eye. Humans are more immortal in a sense, because when they die they go beyond the world and get to party with God foreverdyever.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PYF Memes: what power does Melkor have to sever that connection that was decreed by Eru Iluvatar?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Every single one of you get in the locker.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

doverhog posted:

Tolkien's orcs are biological weapons Melkor created. Not from nothing though, the original breeding stock was either captured elves, or humans, depending on which revision you believe. Orcs being twisted elves is problematic, because does it mean they also live forever and their souls go to the Halls of Mandos? If not, what power does Melkor have to sever that connection that was decreed by Eru Iluvatar?

Anyway, there was no savage orc tribe, they began as weapons and were one of the things Morgoth infused with his essence, like dragons and wargs. So it makes sense in universe that all orcs are evil. Not like the humans that fight for either Morgoth or Sauron, they are described as misled.

Secret history of the free orcs is a super interesting thing to read about fyi.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

Saruman also also breeds orca and humans together so.

Yeah, that super duper reads like he's doing killer whales on land. Or I guess killer whales in the sea but somehow more evil?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

redgubbinz posted:

the duality of man

here u go:

the other duality of man:

other memes:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost