Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

This show is greatly improved from S1 imo, but it still feels like it's in a rush all the time. Slow down, bud. Take a moment. Let the scenes breathe. Give us more connecting bits and character moments.

Really would be nice if we had 10 episode seasons instead of 8 but...oh well.

13 would have been ideal but 2 extra hours would be a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a book reader but in my mind I cannot accuse this show of rushing anything with its 70 minute episodes. I think events have flowed pretty nicely thus far, and the production values have gone up a notch. At this point Moiraine/Lan is the worst part though, so I hope they resolve that soon.

I do wish they brought back those animated shorts from last season, they owned.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Really would be nice if we had 10 episode seasons instead of 8 but...oh well.

13 would have been ideal but 2 extra hours would be a lot.

I mean, we get the equivalent of ~9.5 or so 55-60 minute episodes with the runtimes this season, but I don't disagree it still feels very fast.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Amazon hosed up and it's still not out 15m past airtime lol

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
On pacing againI think its partly the number of plot threads and not just a runtime thing. This season we already have the white tower prisoners, the novices, Rand, Moiraine, and Perrin all doing their own separate things. Im sure its not actually uniformly divided on screen time, but if it were that means we get less than 15 minutes for each subplot per episode.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Amazon!!!!!!

Where's the fuckin ep

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
finally up for me

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Why does it seem like every actor has been directed to lower their natural voice by an octave?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The camera angle intercutting stuff in the Min/Ishamael scene is pretty novel, don't think I've ever seen that before

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Find you a woman like Lanfear, who's so horny for you she'll stalk you across reincarnations :heysexy:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Data Graham posted:

The camera angle intercutting stuff in the Min/Ishamael scene is pretty novel, don't think I've ever seen that before

That kinda came up in the dreams from Season 1 too. I suspect that Ishy was playing with her mind in that whole talk. It was a dream he interjected into her head. That plus the old ladies had a dreamlike quality to them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I love how subtle it starts out where you just think "Oh, was that an editing error? Did they just jump cut between two different takes of the same season for some reason?" and then it REALLY takes off and you "Oooooh."

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
this show sure loves having characters give plodding exposition of their and others' motivations!!!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

that ep kicked rear end, hell yeah. dream stuff was good, wolf stuff was good, moiraine stuff was good, lanfear was great. thoroughly enjoyed it

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Just starting the ep because I have actual work and stuff

I don't often post itt because I'm very conscious of spoilers and I don't trust myself to avoid them, but I just wanted to comment on the blocking and camera movements in the first few minutes of the scene with Lan and Alanna. I've got a lot of thoughts on the adaptation in regards to the spirit of the adaptation versus the spirit of it, but I really do feel like this production is really trying to set itself apart and they're largely succeeding. The first season was hit-and-miss for me, but they've moved far enough from the source material at this point that any purist complaints I have have largely fallen away.

Whatever the plan is, large scale, I've come to trust that they have a plan in mind. I've come to appreciate what they're doing with the time and budget that they have available. I still hold in my heart the big budget anime that could fully realize the series as a whole, but I do like and appreciate what the live action is doing with what they've got

edit: ok that painting of moiraine and her younger sister was pretty stupid looking but I'm still in this

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 8, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Rootin for Ishamael, he seems like a decent fellow

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Still better for him than Egwene was tbh

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Vim Fuego posted:

Rootin for Ishamael, he seems like a decent fellow

Best actor in the show and I love to hate him every time he is on screen. Reminds me of how I felt whenever Charles Dance had a scene in GoT

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol easily the best episode in the series so far

elyas, liandrin, and the ending were the best parts. i think liandrin's lil spat with the keeper was my favorite scene in the series, min's scene was a 10/10 too

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how subtle it starts out where you just think "Oh, was that an editing error? Did they just jump cut between two different takes of the same season for some reason?" and then it REALLY takes off and you "Oooooh."
Yeah, that was very well done.

A question for TV only viewers that did not read the books and have seen episode 4:
What did you think of the Selene reveal? Did you catch anything beforehand or were you in any way suspicious of her before the reveal?

Please do not reply or explain or whatever if you've read the books. We have the other thread for that.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

DTurtle posted:

A question for TV only viewers that did not read the books and have seen episode 4:
What did you think of the Selene reveal? Did you catch anything beforehand or were you in any way suspicious of her before the reveal?

Please do not reply or explain or whatever if you've read the books. We have the other thread for that.

My non-book wife was like whats her deal anyway about 3/4 through the episode. She knew something was up with the way they spent so much time on her and also felt something was off with some of her comments around the dinner they crashed.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

rafikki posted:

My non-book wife was like whats her deal anyway about 3/4 through the episode. She knew something was up with the way they spent so much time on her and also felt something was off with some of her comments around the dinner they crashed.

My non book reading wife felt the same way.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

DTurtle posted:

Not a book reader and yeah I suspected something was up with her, not due to any specific hints but any time someone in a story like this is "too good to be true" or just shows up out of nowhere and is even trying to avoid conflict you know on a meta level what's up, especially after she accepted him after his "reveal". If she would have been an actual "normal" person we would have gotten the usual character conflict but her just being "hey, that's actually no biggie" meta-understanding of (TV) stories make it obvious where that was going (and you could already expect that "turn" after the cold open to this ep, not many other female characters who could reasonably have been that person...).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

DTurtle posted:

My wife, who has never read the books, determined she was some flavor of evil very early on, and was extremely suspicious. She even guessed she was the Blood Lady because she decided the guy she keeps talking about being in love with is Ishamael.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Thanks for the responses and happy for any more responses! If you can then :justpost:

Getting opinions and reactions from people NOT in the know about something where there are long term payoffs is what makes these kind of no spoilers threads so good. Thats why the Babylon 5 no spoiler thread is the best on the forums.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Even if you are in the know it is interesting to get takes from people who havent spent decades obsessing over the IP.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

This show is greatly improved from S1 imo, but it still feels like it's in a rush all the time. Slow down, bud. Take a moment. Let the scenes breathe. Give us more connecting bits and character moments.
haven't read the books, checked out s1 and this was my take big time. Oh we're here now, check it out because we had to include this bit annnnnnnnd next scene! Okay look at this guy, he's pretty important or at least cool enough we wanted to get him in here annnnnnnnnd, dead! Okay, now--

etc

Might watch s2.... hmmm,

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

As a book reader I was ready to be really mad at the series after the later half of season 1(I'll blame covid) but so far S2 is loving great. Great acting, consumes, set pieces and all that. Really loving it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lamentable dustman posted:

As a book reader I was ready to be really mad at the series after the later half of season 1(I'll blame covid) but so far S2 is loving great. Great acting, consumes, set pieces and all that. Really loving it.

Yeah more and more those last couple of episodes of Season 1 are looking like they made the best of an unimaginably lovely set of circumstances and then took it as a learning experience to come back and just knock it out of the park for Season 2.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I do wish they brought back those animated shorts from last season, they owned.

They have apparently already made a second season of that. It was supposed to come out last year. And then last month. And then last week.

I don't think we know why it keeps failing to release, but if they keep to the same pattern I'd expect an infinite amount of release date announcements in the near future, hopefully followed by an actual release.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lamentable dustman posted:

consumes, set pieces

pretty funny 25 years in retrospect that his tedious descriptions that became meme jokes actually translate really well on screen. i'm liking these aspects way more than rings of power

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I liked how the windows in the Cairhien estate and the mirror in Moiraine's room had a very angular design. For non book readers, the city of Cairhien is laid out like this:

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 9, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

foregate plays so prominently but I can't tell which exit it's supposed to be against

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So do I have this right?

During the season 1 finale, they met Ishamael in the Eye of the World, and Rand thought he was rejecting the darkness by blasting him with light magic, but without knowing it he blew up the heartstone seal that was trapping Ishamael instead? And then when that merchant comes by offering to sell her the chunk of heartstone, she already knows that it means the seal has been broken for some other Forsaken and she just tricks him into selling her that poem, which tells her it was Lanfear?

e: oh yeah, and why is Lanfear so special that she can't be killed with a sword through the heart and a knife through the neck? and why can't they just take the extra five minutes to roll her body into the fire or something and finish the job?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Phenotype posted:

So do I have this right?

During the season 1 finale, they met Ishamael in the Eye of the World, and Rand thought he was rejecting the darkness by blasting him with light magic, but without knowing it he blew up the heartstone seal that was trapping Ishamael instead? And then when that merchant comes by offering to sell her the chunk of heartstone, she already knows that it means the seal has been broken for some other Forsaken and she just tricks him into selling her that poem, which tells her it was Lanfear?

e: oh yeah, and why is Lanfear so special that she can't be killed with a sword through the heart and a knife through the neck? and why can't they just take the extra five minutes to roll her body into the fire or something and finish the job?

It's made pretty clear that nothing they can do would kill her, she says it outright, so what's the point of wasting the time?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Phenotype posted:

So do I have this right?

I think youve got it right. Unclear whats going on with lanfear not being killable, presumably we will get some explanation for that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Devorum posted:

It's made pretty clear that nothing they can do would kill her, she says it outright, so what's the point of wasting the time?

Okay, but my question was why she's so unkillable, and why they wouldn't take the opportunity to, I dunno, chop her to pieces while she's momentarily helpless, on the basis that she can't get up to mischief if she's stuffed into five or six different sacks and then buried.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Phenotype posted:

So do I have this right?

Yes. In the books the poem is discovered in a different way, and it is part of a known dark prophecy of followers of the Dark One. There's a lot more talk of prophecy in the books overall compared to the show so far.

quote:

Watch And Find Out

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Phenotype posted:

Okay, but my question was why she's so unkillable, and why they wouldn't take the opportunity to, I dunno, chop her to pieces while she's momentarily helpless, on the basis that she can't get up to mischief if she's stuffed into five or six different sacks and then buried.

I think their logic would be that one fade showed up already, what if a group shows up while they're delaying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Phenotype posted:

A sword is a great tool for making someone dead, but not great for hacking apart the body afterward. Moiraine clearly didnt know how long the killing would stick, and didnt bring an axe, cleaver, or whatever else to enact your plan. And you definitely dont want the unkillable quasi-godlike entity coming to while youre still in the room trying to remove bits of her body.