Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

lmao

what a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol that history turd that i used to watch that i mentioned pages back made a new one called a NEW AXIS Iran-China-Russia, too bad this guy used to be decently neutral oh well time to find another one

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HallelujahLee posted:

lol that history turd that i used to watch that i mentioned pages back made a new one called a NEW AXIS Iran-China-Russia, too bad this guy used to be decently neutral oh well time to find another one

yeah something about this conflict has made everyone pick sides hard and now people that used to be proud about being even handed are proudly just producing hosed up propaganda. Just talking about Russian soldiers as if they're cave men but still considering themselves objective free thinkers.

What i don't know is if this means they were always poo poo or if this is a sign of how powerful and insidious the western psyop apparatus is.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah something about this conflict has made everyone pick sides hard and now people that used to be proud about being even handed are proudly just producing hosed up propaganda. Just talking about Russian soldiers as if they're cave men but still considering themselves objective free thinkers.

the money helps too im guessing

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

HallelujahLee posted:

the money helps too im guessing

yeah... that's another question, how many of these fucks are getting paid for this poo poo and whose doing it for free

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
im paid

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zizek is clearly doing out of love for the game. By game I mean posting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Even if the US isn't directly funding these Youtube guys, the almighty algorithm is probably nicer to pro-US videos than pro-Russia videos, just on account of it seeming to suppress "foreign" content.

As for brain breakage, I think the fact that this war wasn't started by the US (publicly at least, we'll see years from now) has suckered in a lot of people who might otherwise be skeptical of military adventures.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nah, everyone drank the koolaid so hard on algorithms so they don't control it all that much.

What they end up doing is just classic censorship by outright banning channels, people, users, and denying access to the public platform. But the algorithm is free to work it's magic on any content that slips past the attention of the censors.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

was he always this stupid and people just fell for his dressing like a bum and double fisting hotdogs or is this a recent decline in intellect

promoting dumb bogus dudes to the prominance of Leftist thought is a state perogative. see also and mostly focault. at least zizek probably isn't a pedo

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

the lesson everyone got from the Iraq war is that it was the one and only time the media and governments partnered to lie, nothing systematic drove that lie, and it’s fixed now because bush is gone (also bush is nice now).

now we’re in the truth zone where Russia is doing this simply because they’re evil, Ukraine exemplifies everything western liberals believe, Russia has been humiliated in every battle and has been out of ammo the entire time, but also they are somehow not collapsing and somehow taking territory and out shooting Ukraine with their zero ammo, but that’s okay because Ukraine is still mowing the mindless Russians down in waves, but also for some reason the war is in the balance and Ukraine needs even more support to have a chance.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

V. Illych L. posted:

tisdal has been advocating open war with russia for at least a year at this point. in a way it's refreshing to see someone take the official line completely on face value and to its logical conclusion; it clarifies things somewhat. of course, it's quite deranged, as such things often are.

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it: if Putin actually was a genocidal maniac bent on mass death and destruction, then this would indeed be the appropriate response, and you'd expect all politicians and public figures to be echoing it.

There's such a gulf between words and actions (sending a few shotgun shells and putting a Ukraine flag on their Twitter bio) for most people.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

Neurolimal posted:

Even if the US isn't directly funding these Youtube guys, the almighty algorithm is probably nicer to pro-US videos than pro-Russia videos, just on account of it seeming to suppress "foreign" content.

As for brain breakage, I think the fact that this war wasn't started by the US (publicly at least, we'll see years from now) has suckered in a lot of people who might otherwise be skeptical of military adventures.
RT used to be the most popular news channel on youtube during the mueller era

due to complaints, they dramatically changed the algorithms to fix this and then fairly recently of course RT is just straight banned

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!
examples of how the algorithms used to work not too long ago:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/tech...dog-group-says/

quote:

When the report by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III came out last week, offering the most authoritative account yet of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, YouTube recommended one video source hundreds of thousands of times to viewers seeking information, a watchdog says: RT, the global media operation funded by the Russian government.

AlgoTransparency, founded by former YouTube engineer Guillaume Chaslot, analyzed the recommendations made by the 1,000 YouTube channels it tracks daily. The group found that 236 of those collectively recommended RT’s “On Contact: Russiagate & Mueller Report w/ Aaron Mate” more than 400,000 times.

“So YouTube’s algorithm massively recommends Russia’s take on the investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election,” Chaslot tweeted Thursday night.

Formerly known as Russia Today, RT is one of the most popular media channels on YouTube, claiming more than 2 billion views. The video interview it recommended, posted by RT’s U.S.-focused division RT America, is sharply critical of American press coverage of the Mueller report and calls journalists “Russiagate conspiracy theorists” and “gossiping courtiers to the elite.”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah the algorithm works as designed until someone notices undesirable information getting attention and has to go in and censor it.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah the algorithm works as designed until someone notices undesirable information getting attention and has to go in and censor it.

Essentially why Twitter wasn't a problem until Musk fired the people in charge of censoring "contrary narrative" stuff

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zizek wrote a book about Lenin, it's probably not good

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

slava zizek

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Lenin already wrote perfectly adequate books himself anyhow

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

I'm gonna (actionable threat) zizek

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Don't the Ukrianians know you're supposed to use Toyota

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
seems like it went to a new home where its owner will actually take care of it. the ukraine is like someone always asking to borrow your stuff and then you see it rusting to hell in their yard. :negative:

e: they camo'd the loving headlights lmao

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

all i see is four tires and an EU license plate????

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, youtube's pretty strong curbs on military/guns related content ironically hits pro-Ukrainian channels as much as pro-Russian ones. The Azovboo from Forgotten Weapons is always complaining about it and other channels are as well.

I think it is possible to curate content, but you've got to ban like 10-20 channels like Zeihan, Infographics, and Vexler to get there. If you type in "Ukraine" without logging into your account, that and just random Western news sites. I just did it and I couldn't even find anything vaguely neutral.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Spaced God posted:

all i see is four tires and an EU license plate????

italy 🇮🇹

reminds me when david beckhams land rover was stolen and turned up as an official government ministers car in ukraine/georgia/similar

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don’t think they need to do much curation because there’s 100+ years of self-reinforcing (and for long stretches, mandatory) propaganda in the west about how Russians are subhuman monsters who can only succeed at anything by human wave tactics.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Best Friends posted:

I don’t think they need to do much curation because there’s 100+ years of self-reinforcing (and for long stretches, mandatory) propaganda in the west about how Russians are subhuman monsters who can only succeed at anything by human wave tactics.

Honestly, I don't think most people care in all honesty, if you look at polls in the US, support is weaker than you would think. A lot of it is an all in push but media/tech companies, including Google. It is why if/when it goes completely sour I think it is going to get a little choppy.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, I don't think most people care in all honesty, if you look at polls in the US, support is weaker than you would think. A lot of it is an all in push but media/tech companies, including Google. It is why if/when it goes completely sour I think it is going to get a little choppy.

tbh - I don't think it matters - the government doesn't care about the will of the people, and americans are quite accustomed to their government engaging in ultra violence all over the world whether or not they "support" it. it's a stupid loving culture war thing here.

the tech company thing is definitely weird though - i don't work in tech, but I was involved in a project and was helping research some open source libraries and I found that nearly all the websites for the big open source libraries/frameworks all have tons of "We support Ukraine" poo poo all over them - still to this day. It was a pretty stark contrast because if I didn't read this thread, I wouldn't even know the war is still going on - i hear literally no one ever talk about it (and obviously I don't read the ny times).

My "theory" is that tech companies have been the big users of ultra-cheap ukrainian labor and that's why, but not sure if anyone has a different perspective

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

at least in my daily life nobody talks about ukraine what-so-ever people are too busy rightfully complaining they can barely afford to live

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

HallelujahLee posted:

at least in my daily life nobody talks about ukraine what-so-ever people are too busy rightfully complaining they can barely afford to live

It came up at a wedding I was attending and I was shocked and disgusted to find that I was surrounded by loving tankies. Self described "Ukrainians" who have family in Ukraine who wanted me to know that there was more going on over there and in the leadup to the war than what is in the news over here.

**I mean me and my boss have a thing where we argue and speculate over the more absurd aspects of the war, like debating who blew up the pipeline or why Prigozhin marched on Moscow and why he stopped, but you aren't wrong that nobody else I know ever talks about any of this poo poo. If it ended tomorrow it would barely make a ripple in the public consciousness.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Sep 9, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Starsfan posted:

It came up at a wedding I was attending and I was shocked and disgusted to find that I was surrounded by loving tankies. Self described "Ukrainians" who have family in Ukraine who wanted me to know that there was more going on over there and in the leadup to the war than what is in the news over here.

**I mean me and my boss have a thing where we argue and speculate over the more absurd aspects of the war, like debating who blew up the pipeline or why Prigozhin marched on Moscow and why he stopped, but you aren't wrong that nobody else I know ever talks about any of this poo poo. If it ended tomorrow it would barely make a ripple in the public consciousness.

tankies all around

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I know you guys talk about Manhattan people have their Ukraine flags up, I work in Manhattan and I have never seen any UA flag personally.

I was over in Toronto over the weekend and had to laughed when I saw a Ukraine flag in full display in the middle of the City Hall square.

Slava

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I see plenty of Ukrainian flags in the NE burbs.

But its a war even more invisible than the 20 years in Afghanistan, AFTER 20 years in Afghanistan has numbed everyone to such enthusiasm.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

starting to really hate that oval office

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Are you ready for the hype train? Cho cho!

https://twitter.com/MrTruth53191706/status/1700481736340291991?t=qu6VWmlAjWWNatbC3PrJ2A&s=19

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
I still see Ukraine flags now and then on my commute to work (live near but not in a major city) but it's very infrequent.

Support for supplying Ukraine was almost universal in the beginning but has very much become polarized now, I think I've seen a poll or two that has a plurality saying no more aid for the first time. Regardless, it's always been a low-importance issue for the public and most people don't care. This despite it still getting plenty of news coverage.

Barring a drastic shift in the situation - Ukraine being on the verge of defeat or victory - I doubt it will be a significant topic for the 2024 elections

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Vomik posted:

My "theory" is that tech companies have been the big users of ultra-cheap ukrainian labor and that's why, but not sure if anyone has a different perspective

I don't know why they would bother when there is a much larger and far more technically competent tech workforce to draw from India. Ukraine is a backwater by comparison

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KomradeX posted:

Don't the Ukrianians know you're supposed to use Toyota

I used to work on these exact cars and the thought of one being used in a literal warzone with the expectation of it doing something useful is the best chuckle I've had all week, great stuff

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I used to work on these exact cars and the thought of one being used in a literal warzone with the expectation of it doing something useful is the best chuckle I've had all week, great stuff

I see this kind of stuff all the time on facebook because of my Ukrianian friend. I could fill this thread with screenshots of the stuff he shares. Its just too bad that facebooks translations are such unintelligible garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I really don't see many more Ukrainian flags now in the New York metro than I did before the war honestly. Never seen one in Manhattan outside of like a Russian/Ukrainian restaurant in the village.