Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Installed the beta on my phone and watch ahead of the official release next week. WatchOS10 absolutely sucks imo.

I’ve always felt the Apple Watch worked where other smartwatches didn’t because it felt like a “connected timepiece” with a lot of reverence towards horology and watchmaking tradition.

Os10 makes it feel like a tiny wrist-mounted computer. Lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

I have a Sleep Number bed that accurately measures heart rate and respiration through the bed air tube, it they say it uses ballistocardiography to measure the ballistic force of the heart ejecting blood that is transmitted through your entire body. Apparently the science was largely ignored up until recently but a quick Google says that they have done some studies on wrist ballistocardiography to measure blood pressure.

So I'm guessing that, they have figured out how to use the accelerometer/gyroscope to isolate for that and calibrate it to blood pressure.

does the bed talk to your home system?

can you access the bed thru your screens?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Matinee posted:

Installed the beta on my phone and watch ahead of the official release next week. WatchOS10 absolutely sucks imo.

I’ve always felt the Apple Watch worked where other smartwatches didn’t because it felt like a “connected timepiece” with a lot of reverence towards horology and watchmaking tradition.

I like it OP and feel the opposite - that they've leaned more into it feeling cohesive as a watch. I feel like a lot of the apps have been redesigned to feel more watch-like, in the way they use shape and interact with the crown. Compass is a good example

Widgets just make the thing more usable too, and mean I can choose nicer faces that aren't cramming a load of techno-gobble on the screen. Which again makes it feel more watch-like to me, except for when I need to bring up messages or music or whatever.

TBH it's always looked like a big dorky screen on your wrist and always will until they relent and do a round dial. But this new update feels like a good balance to me.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Matinee posted:

why are you installing beta software and then being shocked it sucks? also why do you think the apple watch is a real watch and not a tiny computer made to look like a real watch? like at no point has it not been a dick tracy wrist computer. but in any case im sorry a software update has ruined your bespoke horological experience and I hope you find a suitable replacement!

posted from my apple watch ultra

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tbf their reasons for it sucking have little to do with it being a beta. I haven't used it, but it sounds like it's design choices, not performance or anything.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

tbf their reasons for it sucking have little to do with it being a beta. I haven't used it, but it sounds like it's design choices, not performance or anything.

Yeah, that’s kind of my point. There’s too much color in the backgrounds of the UI of OS10. It makes you aware of the screen and it’s boundaries.
I feel it was more compelling when it was rooted in the black oled screen, just dials and data being displayed.
Also - really don’t like that clicking the side button just brings up the Control Center screen (the old “swipe from bottom” view). There’s no way any more to click the side button and get the “Favorite Apps” drawer. I used to use that a lot, and if I needed to go into waterproof mode or theatre mode, it wasn’t too arduous to just swipe up. The widgets screen is meant to replace that, I suppose.

But hey, the update’s rolling out to everyone next week. If it’s what you guys are after, more power to you. I just prefer the design philosophy of “a nice watch that can do a lot of functions” rather than “smol bean computer”

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Oh I completely forgot that the button will bring up control center, tbh I use that a ton like when going to bed and activating water mode and stuff, that’s like my favorite iOS 10 feature.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Matinee posted:

Yeah, that’s kind of my point. There’s too much color in the backgrounds of the UI of OS10. It makes you aware of the screen and it’s boundaries.
I feel it was more compelling when it was rooted in the black oled screen, just dials and data being displayed.
Also - really don’t like that clicking the side button just brings up the Control Center screen (the old “swipe from bottom” view). There’s no way any more to click the side button and get the “Favorite Apps” drawer. I used to use that a lot, and if I needed to go into waterproof mode or theatre mode, it wasn’t too arduous to just swipe up. The widgets screen is meant to replace that, I suppose.

But hey, the update’s rolling out to everyone next week. If it’s what you guys are after, more power to you. I just prefer the design philosophy of “a nice watch that can do a lot of functions” rather than “smol bean computer”

On my watch the backgrounds are either black and blend into the bezels or that frosted glass effects like they're layered over whatever my watch face is.

It's very easy to set up so that it's still just dials and data being displayed. You have to go out of your way for that not to be the case.

To get the app drawer you click in the crown now and it's all there. It's basically just swapped with the button now that widgets are a thing (and really useful).

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Perhaps I am a blind weirdo, but I installed the watchOS 10 public beta, and aside from a couple interaction changes, it mostly seems like my watch when it was on 9.x.

I'm on an AUW - not sure if that matters.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I can't wait to have to long-press the watch face to change faces. I will suddenly stop having to change my watch back to wayfinder 10 times a day when my 4yos swipe it accidentally or not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want the spin the crown to unlock at night back. Please make it a toggle JUST FOR ME.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I can't wait to have to long-press the watch face to change faces. I will suddenly stop having to change my watch back to wayfinder 10 times a day when my 4yos swipe it accidentally or not.

Yeah, this is highly annoying.
I thought I could get away with deleting the default watch face so it wouldn’t be a problem, but apparently that’s a no-go.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

quote:

In a detailed report outlining his full expectations for Apple's "Wonderlust" event, Gurman said that the ‌Apple Watch Series 9‌ and second-generation ‌Apple Watch Ultra‌ will offer various sensor and component upgrades, with a general "focus on speed, efficiency, and accuracy." These changes will include a new version of Apple's optical heart rate sensor.
gently caress poo poo, my wallet! :argh: :shobon:

(Expecting this to be Fitbit-style actual 24/7 monitoring.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my ultra.

I’d love my ultra more with better sensors lol

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I’ll upgrade my series 5, as the little guy’s about run his last race.

Although not too many new straps if they’re changing it all next year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keeping my Series 7 Edition Edition for another year. Was planning to anyway, but rumors of a major update next year are only keeping me to that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My series 6 battery is noticeably down, so I’ll be considering upgrading. I don’t wear my watch daily with remote work, but i think I wear it enough to justify an upgrade.

That’s what I tell myself anyway.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Hmmmm watchOS 10 beta busted the cell plan on my AWU. Fortunately, a unpair+re-pair fixed it.

Restoring an AW these days is pretty quick though. I did it while on errands it was done in like 30 mins (duration, not active).

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Thinking I might go from series 6 titanium to ultra 2

We’ll see

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I think I’ll go to Ultra. The brightness in the sun is pretty amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I absolutely love my ultra.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ultra fuckin owns

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Ok Comboomer posted:

does the bed talk to your home system?

can you access the bed thru your screens?

It "Works with Nest", supposably to tie your sleep quality to the temperature of the house, but no, it's not integrated into our Google home automation setup.

However, it came with a remote control with a color LCD display.

Yeast posted:

I think I’ll go to Ultra. The brightness in the sun is pretty amazing.

Never looking back from the Ultra, I almost think Apple made a mistake positioning it as a extreme fitness device. Screen, battery life, weight, just overall feel, it's just a completely perfected Apple Watch. Also the positioning as an extreme fitness device, all the marketing makes it seem like it might be bulky, it's not, it's a great size.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 11, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

However, it came with a remote control with a color LCD display.

another one for your menagerie

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Never looking back from the Ultra, I almost think Apple made a mistake positioning it as a extreme fitness device. Screen, battery life, weight, just overall feel, it's just a completely perfected Apple Watch. Also the positioning as an extreme fitness device, all the marketing makes it seem like it might be bulky, it's not, it's a great size.

It is absolutely gigantic.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Laserface posted:

It is absolutely gigantic.

:wink:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s not gigantic, but it absolutely is bigger. The marketing is what initially made me laugh at it and completely write it off when it was originally announced. I only bought one when we were at the mall doing some Christmas shopping and popped into DA FRUIT STAND to try one on for the hell of it when I was killing time. Bought it on the spot when I realized it wasn’t actually some gigantic Garmin from 2006.

It looks completely fine on me, but there’s no way my wife could wear one without looking goofy. But I don’t really think you can make a smaller one and expect the same battery life.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

It’s not gigantic, but it absolutely is bigger.
Bought it on the spot when I realized it wasn’t actually some gigantic Garmin from 2006.

This is what I meant, it's large, but in, normal chunky watch size large. I totally had Forerunner in mind before I saw it in person, I am pretty sure I still have this laying around from my running days...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it’s bigger but I like that. My wife likes it a lot more because she said it looks more like a proper watch.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Fine guys. I'll get an Ultra 2 :rolleyes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does the ultra fit under the cuff of a hockey glove though, this is the information we need.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Does the ultra fit under the cuff of a hockey glove though, this is the information we need.

Maybe not.

One annoying thing is how gloves always hit the buttons on my ultra.

Or even if I’m doing the OHP at the gym it will trigger Siri.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yes

But even with water lock, the action button will get pressed, and it took me forever to figure out why my workouts in hockey tracker kept getting paused and ended early. When I play, I flip my watch to the underside of my wrist and everything is all good.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Yes

But even with water lock, the action button will get pressed, and it took me forever to figure out why my workouts in hockey tracker kept getting paused and ended early. When I play, I flip my watch to the underside of my wrist and everything is all good.

Is wearing the watch with the crown/button facing away from your wrist still a viable option on the Ultra? or is that bit so bulk it still gets hit?

I had to do that for weight lifting on the regular watch, so I just kept it like that permanently

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When I play, I flip my watch to the underside of my wrist and everything is all good.

I was hoping someone would have a better suggestion but lol this is exactly what I end up doing.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I used to wear it upside down before the ultra but then that caused the action button to go off and for some reason the crown/button don’t get hit as much when I wear it normally. I don’t do much excercises other than running/biking/rowing that could hit the buttons lately though :v:

What’s more of an issue is that if I put it on wrong the crown won’t turn, ugh. Gonna be fun with the new crown turn centric interface coming.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's too thick. Maybe the rumored major change next year will make it thinner in which case I might be interested! Especially if they continue to not make a titanium normal one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

101 posted:

Is wearing the watch with the crown/button facing away from your wrist still a viable option on the Ultra? or is that bit so bulk it still gets hit?

I had to do that for weight lifting on the regular watch, so I just kept it like that permanently

I'm a monster and as a right-handed person, I wear my watch on the right wrist, with the crown and side button facing away from my wrist. If I'm in the gym and do certain movements where my wrists are bent, like pushups or whatever, it's the action button that I'm always pressing, which just creates a segment. If it happens a couple times, I'll move my watch an inch or so up my arm, away from my hand, and it doesn't push any buttons.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

[timg]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s vile