Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The next two episodes of Fiona & Cake are out now, I like that this is a proper AT sequel rather than purely an AU like I originally assumed (we even got a Jake cameo). Prismo apparently has a new VA too.

Also I forget, was Simon this crazy/desperate back towards the end of the original series as well (though it is at least a little justified)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

andrew dickman huh?

He’s unfortunately tied to the Looney Tunes like a really heavy weight. I think every Looney Tunes project at least after Loonatics Unleashed has him involved in some capacity

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

The next two episodes of Fiona & Cake are out now, I like that this is a proper AT sequel rather than purely an AU like I originally assumed (we even got a Jake cameo). Prismo apparently has a new VA too.

Also I forget, was Simon this crazy/desperate back towards the end of the original series as well (though it is at least a little justified)?

Simon's in a weird spot because he's always kind of been a figure of other people's stories. Marceline and Betty's tragedies partly revolve around his Ice King status quo. This is kind of the first look we're getting of Simon as a person on his own, and its a grim picture.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nerdietalk posted:

Simon's in a weird spot because he's always kind of been a figure of other people's stories. Marceline and Betty's tragedies partly revolve around his Ice King status quo. This is kind of the first look we're getting of Simon as a person on his own, and its a grim picture.

Yeah, especially considering he’s thinking of willingly turning back into the Ice King again. I’ll be interested to see where his story ultimately goes

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

It’s always been a metaphor about mental illness and people left behind, it’s honestly super fascinating and clever how they’ve shifted to something like addiction and escapism for Simon/Ice King. Curable magic kind of makes a mess of the original metaphor, so heading this direction makes a lot of sense.

Kind of wary of how much Fionna and Cake can pace out the rest of this. Four episodes of set-up, presumably the main adventure focus for the next four episodes, hopefully get tied up in a nice bow in the last two? It might have to be pretty breakneck here on out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering this is (to my knowledge) just a oneshot miniseries it does seem like we’re up against a bit of a time crunch now. But I’ve been enjoying what they’ve done with this series so far way more than I first expected to so hopefully they’ll be able to pull off something decent

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is that A Link to the Past boss fight music when Scarab is fighting the tea house guy?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

cartoons123 posted:

He’s unfortunately tied to the Looney Tunes like a really heavy weight. I think every Looney Tunes project at least after Loonatics Unleashed has him involved in some capacity

IIRC he was even involved in Loonatics itself

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Larryb posted:

Yeah Adam Muto said on Twitter they reached out to Kumail and got turned down, then Kumail was like "wait what, I'd have loved to do it", so it sounds like someone in the middle took the decision out of their hands.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

Yeah Adam Muto said on Twitter they reached out to Kumail and got turned down, then Kumail was like "wait what, I'd have loved to do it", so it sounds like someone in the middle took the decision out of their hands.

The new guy’s decent enough but that’s a shame nonetheless

Also they’d better put Island Song in this series somewhere

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 8, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Tiny Toons reboot eps 1 initial impression:

The new voices were jarring at first, but I got used to them by the end. I'm still holding judgement on the new character dynamics. Plucky being the self-obsessed drama kid is probably my least favorite. It's like they took the more egotistical side to the original and cranked it up to 11 by making him well-off and actually talented instead of the sad, pathetic wannabe. But of course, it's only the first episode, so I wouldn't be surprised if he mellows out in a few.

Making Babs and Buster actually twins in defiance of the original theme is...new, and making it the lynchpin of the entire first episode plot was certainly a choice. :mad:

It got a few laughs out of me, so I can't completely fault it. But even moreso than the Animaniacs reboot, this kind of shook me into realizing I'm just not the audience anymore for this poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/jhaletweets/status/1699909569915588883

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

AlternateNu posted:

It got a few laughs out of me, so I can't completely fault it. But even moreso than the Animaniacs reboot, this kind of shook me into realizing I'm just not the audience anymore for this poo poo.

I seem to remember TT skewing a little younger than Animaniacs, but I really wasn't expecting that to hold true after the decision to age them up to university. I'm a little confused- Is this meant to be for new kids, or old fans? I guess I just assumed the latter a la DuckTales, so that's on me.

I found it direly unfunny, sorry to say. I know the crew worked very hard and is very proud of it, but it's really not my thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I'm a little confused- Is this meant to be for new kids, or old fans? I guess I just assumed the latter a la DuckTales, so that's on me.

I assume both since why else would they resurrect the brand, instead of leave it dead where it should be? I think the ideal is to get all the (mostly) millennial audience who have kids now to force those kids to watch it in hopes they hook the kids if the adults find it bad (like this crowd seems to).

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
From what I remember looking through the production, it is in fact a much more deliberate attempt at getting newer kids interested, which is different from the Animaniacs reboot which was (at least) trying to be tailor made for the kids/adults who watched at the show at the time. That's probably why they went the full reboot/recast direction in the first place (Tiny Toons doesn't have the same love as Animaniacs, so less worry about ruffling feathers by changing stuff).

As for the show itself, it's been eh so far. Most of the voices have been fine to great (I actually really enjoy new Plucky, the choice to up the smarm makes him the most entertaining part of the show) but the humor is... strange. Like I'm with Das Boo, for a TV-PG show I was kinda surprised the humor felt a lot more younger than like, a similar style Disney Channel show like Big City Greens or Molly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Woohps, they did it again.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In light of that, I’m thinking Warner didn’t even call Kumail about voicing Prismo. They were probably relieved that the Justin Roiland stuff meant nobody expected him for a cameo either.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Das Boo posted:

I seem to remember TT skewing a little younger than Animaniacs, but I really wasn't expecting that to hold true after the decision to age them up to university. I'm a little confused- Is this meant to be for new kids, or old fans? I guess I just assumed the latter a la DuckTales, so that's on me.

I found it direly unfunny, sorry to say. I know the crew worked very hard and is very proud of it, but it's really not my thing.

I'm five episodes in, and I think I've figured out why I'm bouncing off this so hard.

It's written like a sitcom. It isn't written like an actual toon show. Part of the beauty of all the toon shows up to Freakazoid was their leaning into the six-to-twelve minute format. It allows focus on a particular theme or framework while forcing the script to be lean and dense. The reboot episodes are all 22 minute long deals with two or three meandering, overlapping plots. The jokes don't feel snappy. And the only sense of mania you get is by jumping between plot threads instead of something that occurs naturally from the scripting.

There are a number of other issues, but I think that's the main one. The largest secondary issue, I feel, is that it is immensely obvious the writers wanted to insert a whole lot of direct political/social commentary (which they get away with once or twice an episode), but it's pretty clear they just don't have the chops to do it well or with any subtlety. The episode two or three bit with Taz flashing his "political cartoon" was indicative of where the show wanted to be vs where the show was allowed to go.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I'm five episodes in, and I think I've figured out why I'm bouncing off this so hard.

It's written like a sitcom. It isn't written like an actual toon show. Part of the beauty of all the toon shows up to Freakazoid was their leaning into the six-to-twelve minute format. It allows focus on a particular theme or framework while forcing the script to be lean and dense. The reboot episodes are all 22 minute long deals with two or three meandering, overlapping plots. The jokes don't feel snappy. And the only sense of mania you get is by jumping between plot threads instead of something that occurs naturally from the scripting.

There are a number of other issues, but I think that's the main one. The largest secondary issue, I feel, is that it is immensely obvious the writers wanted to insert a whole lot of direct political/social commentary (which they get away with once or twice an episode), but it's pretty clear they just don't have the chops to do it well or with any subtlety. The episode two or three bit with Taz flashing his "political cartoon" was indicative of where the show wanted to be vs where the show was allowed to go.

Honestly, I'm not really getting political commentary from the show, beyond that one quick gag most of it has been situational comedy. But otherwise yeah, Sitcom Writing is a skill, if you're writing for that you have to make sure the plots are interesting and the jokes are decent enough to hit. Looney Tunes Show is (funny enough) the closest comparison, and while it wasn't perfect, I felt like it had the cadence down better than Looniversity does. Which I guess in a way, is kinda exactly like Tiny Toons compared to the original Looney Tunes it was meant to crib from so honestly, one to one adaptation

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cartoons123 posted:

Honestly, I'm not really getting political commentary from the show, beyond that one quick gag most of it has been situational comedy. But otherwise yeah, Sitcom Writing is a skill, if you're writing for that you have to make sure the plots are interesting and the jokes are decent enough to hit. Looney Tunes Show is (funny enough) the closest comparison, and while it wasn't perfect, I felt like it had the cadence down better than Looniversity does. Which I guess in a way, is kinda exactly like Tiny Toons compared to the original Looney Tunes it was meant to crib from so honestly, one to one adaptation

Oh, no. I didn't say there was a lot. I'm saying its obvious the writers wanted there to be. There are more than a few direct digs at capitalism (under the breath one-liners). Hell, they even make a joke about tuition costs in the opening song.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I haven't really revisited Tiny Toons much, so I don't really have as much of a critical idea of how it worked. A lot of it was mired in specifically "teen" culture, which isn't much my thing, and I've gotten uncomfortable with the whole thing where early 90s cartoons were trying to cargo-cult classic theatrical cartoons without really knowing why they were the way they were, and Tiny Toons was one of the most dedicated to that (although I think they drifted a lot from that part of the premise later on).

And so I watched the episode of the new Tiny Toons, and it's even stronger with the cargo cult aspect. Most of the best gags of Tiny Toons and the original Looney Tunes weren't just something weird and silly for the sake of being weird and silly, they were at their core jokes about characters and character conflict. The gags and visual exaggeration are supposed to be accentuating the personalities, but in the new show, they're just kinda floating out in the middle of nowhere, disconnected from anything, and they take up so much time, there's not much space to build an emotional grounding for jokes about personality.

There also doesn't seem to be much of the second most common gag of old Tiny Toons: tv and movie references. It's weird for them to leave that out. The characters also seem dull, since they've been toned down with less silly voices. Weird choice. Doesn't feel satisfying to my sense of nostalgia, and doesn't seem very good as just a normal cartoon.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The best Tiny Toons episodes will always be the music video parody episodes and the banned one where Buster, Hampton, and Plucky kill themselves by drunk driving.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So is the problem with the new Tiny Toons the same one as the new Clone High where the new writers seemingly didn't get the basic premise or comedic voice of the original show?

Like in Clone High's case, the new writers don't get that the show was satirical of 'very special episode' style empty moralizing that usually ended up with what is essentially a satirical anti-lesson, and instead thought we were supposed to take the character drama at face value and that we needed the actual lessons spelled out and reinforced with no comedic twist.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

The best Tiny Toons episodes will always be the music video parody episodes and the banned one where Buster, Hampton, and Plucky kill themselves by drunk driving.

the former episode was my first contact with pretty much all of those songs and the ones from They Might Be Giants lodged in my brain like a fishhook

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I wonder now if that episode was part of the Office of National Drug Control Policy initiative where tv shows were given cash bonuses for making anti-drug episodes. It would make a lot of sense if it was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_National_Drug_Control_Policy#Paying_for_anti-drug_messages_in_television_shows

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Working my way through early episodes of Dreamworks / Netflix Voltron, which I'm enjoying more than I remember. I'm hoping that if I get a chance to watch this show closer to the way it was intended it'll flow better, though I remember a handful of arcs going weirdly to mush in the final seasons.

Recently worked my way through the two new seasons of Dragon Prince with a couple of friends too; Season 5 is better, but Season 4 is loving terrible. There's a really bad case of subplot hell in both seasons, causing characters to just completely forget about drama going on in other subplots because worrying about e.g. missing presumed dead friends would interfere with what's going on in their own stories.

Season Four also has a really poor attempt to introduce some realpolitik into the show, which I'd argue that it just can't weather. On one hand you've got the child king and the essential members of his small council running around in enemy territory -- arguably a fine idea in a story that doesn't take the matter of ruling very seriously. On the other, you've got a super serious subplot about generational conflicts reigniting during a deeply politicized wedding, which does take the matter of ruling very seriously, and leads to the implication that the tagalong kids playing adventure are actually particularly lovely rulers.

Then it turns out that the super serious political wedding was completely unknown to the child king / his kingdom, despite it involving the king's aunt and having deeply serious implications for the overall state of the entire continent. So everyone looks like an incompetent jerk tbh.

Neeksy posted:

Like in Clone High's case, the new writers don't get that the show was satirical of 'very special episode' style empty moralizing that usually ended up with what is essentially a satirical anti-lesson, and instead thought we were supposed to take the character drama at face value and that we needed the actual lessons spelled out and reinforced with no comedic twist.

I wonder how much of this is also just a shift in what's considered acceptable in terms of television. Satire wasn't ever a particularly beloved genre (for obvious reasons), but I feel like ironic takes on teen narratives have become even more contentious[1]. The revival premier was written by Lord and Miller, and that was straightforward as all get out, so I wonder if its just a directive in how they wanted the show to be now.

[1] tbh the main one I can think of here is some of the drama around both Heathers revivals, e.g. the blue balls song from the musical, or basically anything in the moral panic discourse located around Paramount's take on Heathers (which I'd argue was a genuinely great show). But I'm sure there were other cases, even if I can't think of any good ones right now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having seen the whole show for the first time recently Netflix Voltron starts off ok but takes a sharp nosedive in quality by the end. It wasn’t as bad as I expected but it’s not something I’d ever see myself revisiting either

It is the only Voltron series aside from the original Golion to have a proper ending however so there’s that I guess

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

Fun fact: the "banned episode" was never banned, some dude said it was and then because a bunch of listicles and Youtube videos sourced each other over the years, it became one of those pop culture "facts" that everyone knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4YjEbpBo2Q

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

Working my way through early episodes of Dreamworks / Netflix Voltron, which I'm enjoying more than I remember. I'm hoping that if I get a chance to watch this show closer to the way it was intended it'll flow better, though I remember a handful of arcs going weirdly to mush in the final seasons.

Part of the problem was that the later seasons got shortened episode orders but honestly the show started to suffer from pacing issues and characterization problems beginning as early as season 3 and they just got worse and worse. The ending is just... yikes. I hate to use the word problematic but let's say the ending does nobody any favors.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Though like I've said before Netflix Voltron's biggest issue is that it's a mecha series that is embarrassed to be a mecha series

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Adventure Time sure aged well. I went back and watched most of season 10 and the ending is great. The Distant Lands stuff that comes after is also great! Its such an expansive world to the extent I don't think I've ever seen before in any medium. They could just keep telling stories in Oooo forever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ccs posted:

Adventure Time sure aged well. I went back and watched most of season 10 and the ending is great. The Distant Lands stuff that comes after is also great! Its such an expansive world to the extent I don't think I've ever seen before in any medium. They could just keep telling stories in Oooo forever.

Well technically there’s the Fiona & Cake miniseries that’s currently ongoing (which is very much a sequel despite it being based on an AU from the series), but that’s only going to be 10 episodes and I’m not sure if the crew has any further plans from there

Also watch Fiona & Cake if you haven’t already, it’s honestly been pretty good so far

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 10, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Though like I've said before Netflix Voltron's biggest issue is that it's a mecha series that is embarrassed to be a mecha series

Yeah, early on it shouldn't be called Voltron so much as Flying Space Castle. Allura sort of takes a downgrade to be the Blue Lion's pilot instead of commanding it. This could have been solved if they showed said Flying Space Castle had weaknesses, but I think they mostly just stop using its Macross Barrage attacks instead.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Voltron isn't just ashamed of being a mecca series. It's ashamed of being based on a brand in any way. It is actually not toyetic enough to be good - the robot really does not mean anything. People joke about "haha this mecha series is actually about the characters" but when your character's pilot is super loving robot, that super robot had better signify something. Voltron the defender of the universe signifies nothing. The action is completely toothless because it very nearly has nothing even remotely to do with where the characters are at emotionally.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i made an idle joke once with a friend who said Voltron's action was repetitive by saying "yeah most 70s super robot shows were that repetitive it was just stock footage back then"

not meant as serious commentary, just a funny haha joke

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno, maybe it'll be more apparent to me as the series goes on but I'm not sensing any shame tbh. Show clearly has some budget issues, hence the freeze frame sequences in a lot of episodes, but the characters talk non stop about dorky poo poo like robots and magical crystals and forming Voltron, in a deeply earnest fashion. There are so many "I'll form the head / legs" jokes that I don't see any discomfort.

So, is the main point in the show's shame column that it doesn't have a lot of robot fights? I can think of several mitigating reasons behind that, e.g. budget or technological limitations. Am I missing something here?

It's the same with the show's problematic ending -- which I'm assuming is to do with its queer content? A lot of these kids cartoons suffer from so so much top-down, internal censorship, particularly over sexuality e.g. the stories about Gravity Falls' struggle with censorship, or The Owl House being cut short. And, for whatever reason, male homosexuality is an even harder sell than female homosexuality (to say nothing of trans rep) so the most inclusions you're going to get will be superficial or tinged with reactionary nonsense. It's what happens when conservatives control the purse strings. Some stuff gets through, and that's lovely, but I ultimately can't get too worked up about art made in this context.

I think there was a tacit joke about this in an episode of Inside Job, where Disney builds a bunch of animatronics to send people to hell. ("Satan's torso used to belong to Mulan!")

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Way I see it Western made Mecha series are so rare that if you aren't going to put proper effort into the parts of the show about the actual robots then you shouldn't bother in the first place, I'm more willing to forgive mediocrity in Japanese made Mecha stuff as it's a much more established genre there so even though you might only get one or two actually good shows for every ten or so crappy shows, that still averages out to there being a good two or three dozen good series, meanwhile with Western made shows you can probably count the good ones on one or two hands and probably with some spare fingers leftover

So Netflix Voltron can rightly go gently caress itself with it's mediocre "ATLA/Mass Effect crossover fanfic given a coating of Voltron IP paint" rear end

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not counting Transformers? Or heck, even if you are.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

new voltron was 8 seasons and 80% of it was pointlessly adding more and more Stuff instead of developing what was already there, tho tbh the later cracks were in it as early as s1 with alluras ai dad or whatever that shows up in ep 1 and then completely vanishes from the plot and chars until its time for him to die 7 eps later is basically the same deal that shiros dead ex gets but even more pointless since its 2 flashbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

drrockso20 posted:

meanwhile with Western made shows you can probably count the good ones on one or two hands and probably with some spare fingers leftover

What even is the list, Megas XLR and... ???