Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you posted audio of a fork running across that crust, I think this thread would gain sentience and take over the world.

My crust secret is during the second bake. I start the bread in a preheated Dutch oven at 500 degrees for 30 mins. Then I take it out, spray it all over with water and bake it directly on the oven rack at 450 on convection for 20 mins, rotating it halfway through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Going to need this part of the bread and one bowl of soup, please

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

effika posted:

Going to need this part of the bread and one bowl of soup, please

Dark Side of the Crust

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Made some Sausage and Hamburger buns today

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I decided to make some yeasted donuts today.

Opted to go for cinnamon & sugar and chocolate glazed. Was gonna do some regular glazed donuts, but I felt lazy. Overall I'm pretty happy with them. They're not nearly as sweet as donuts from a donut place, so I guess I feel Slightly better about eating like 6 of em already. It would've been way easier if I had an actual donut cutter or any pastry cutters at all. Managed to make it work with a measuring cup and a bottle cap to punch em out. Tasty, but kind of a pain in the rear end to make. Now I have like 700ml of used oil I need to do something with. Guess I'll just have to fry a bunch of poo poo. Think I'll give cake donuts a shot and try making my own tortilla chips

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I found last time I made them that I could stretch them like a bagel, and that worked well.

First time attempting to make (vegan) hot dog rolls, will make them a little less substantial next time, but they were very good.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dog nougat posted:

I decided to make some yeasted donuts today.

Opted to go for cinnamon & sugar and chocolate glazed. Was gonna do some regular glazed donuts, but I felt lazy. Overall I'm pretty happy with them. They're not nearly as sweet as donuts from a donut place, so I guess I feel Slightly better about eating like 6 of em already. It would've been way easier if I had an actual donut cutter or any pastry cutters at all. Managed to make it work with a measuring cup and a bottle cap to punch em out. Tasty, but kind of a pain in the rear end to make. Now I have like 700ml of used oil I need to do something with. Guess I'll just have to fry a bunch of poo poo. Think I'll give cake donuts a shot and try making my own tortilla chips

gently caress, those look really good.

Homemade tortilla chips are incredibly tasty too and dead simple.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
Got New Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day on sale a few days ago, made some of the master recipe yesterday, and tried making bread for the first time in my life today. Because it's too drat hot here to use the oven much I used their crock pot bread recipe to make some rolls, then lightly browned them with butter under the broiler. They ended up denser and chewier than I wanted which was a disappointment, but they taste way better than anything I've bought from a store.

Looking forward to baking more and trying different things. Love me a hobby where even the failures taste pretty good.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Edit: ^ and awesome! It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it's amazing how good it gets if you keep making stuff! Keep at it!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Sourdough question, I'm messing around with the recipe I've used for the past 5-6 years for two loaves which is:

500g white
350g wheat
600g water
250g wet starter
2% salt (~17g)

I don't bother with an autolyze and just mix it all together and then let rise for ~12 hours on the counter, then bake at 525 for 20m in an 8 quart dutch oven and then another 10 with the lid off. (I put it straight into a pre-heated dutch oven)

I'm thinking of trying to shift my loafs more towards 100% whole wheat though. So, today I tried doing the above, but with 600 wheat, 250 white with 700g water and a one hour autolyze. The dough turned out pretty flavorful, with two issues:

1) The dough's a lot stickier and harder to work with and it stuck to my banneton, despite it being really well seasoned with white flour. Maybe I should put cornmeal in the bottom of the banneton?

2) my oven spring really suffered. The loaf that stuck to the banneton completely pancaked and the other one didn't rise enough to give me any crusty splits.

Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe the dutch oven I have is too big for a 900g high hydration loaf? Or maybe I didn't give it enough folds to work up the gluten?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I don’t think whole wheat has enough gluten on its own. Whole wheat has bran and germ which dilutes the gluten content so you gotta use the white flour for structure.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Whole wheat bran tends to cut through the gluten strands, plus I've seen something about protease formation and other chemical interactions that interfere with the gluten network, but now I can't find those bookmarks.

A work around is to add vital wheat gluten to give it some extra help getting the gluten network formed.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The bran cutting gluten seems consistent with my experience toying around with whole wheat pizza. Adding gluten to just attrition your way through it is one trick to try. Regarding the handling from the banneton, I would recommend presoaking not to autolyze, but to give the dough a lot more time to try to suck up that moisture up-front. I don't expect too much from that tough, as I suspect the more fundamental problem is that the dough doesn't get as good of a skin before you throw it into the banneton (I am assuming you do some shaping there).

As a side, I found for pizza I could go up to 50% pretty well. Some people preferred to have some whole wheat thrown in. Somewhere around 75% and higher, it kind of tasted and handled more like cardboard and wasn't as desired.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

At the bakery, I just run the mixer an another minute or two on high, and add extra water.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
It may not be the way you want to do it, but I line my bannetons with a tea towel, and a dusting of flour. You don’t get the concentric circles, but I’ve also never lost a loaf to sticking that way.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Power Walrus posted:

It may not be the way you want to do it, but I line my bannetons with a tea towel, and a dusting of flour. You don’t get the concentric circles, but I’ve also never lost a loaf to sticking that way.

Yeah, our bakery does buns in these cloth hammock racks, that you can flip over onto an oven rack. We use flour and durum/corn meal

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
People seem to say that having bad yeast is a fairly rare occurrence with modern supplies. But I would say more often than not, if I take my measured water, heat it up into the 100-105F range (with a thermapen, so I'm not overheating it), put yeast in and wait 10-15 mins, absolutely loving nothing happens. Not a single bubble, no smell of yeast, nothing. It's at LEAST 50%, more likely close to 75%, across different brands of packets and such. Usually with a 3-pack thing, all 3 are bad. There's either some kind of plague on all the yeast being produced in the midwest or my pantry I guess has some mystery radiation or something that kills everything put in there. Sometimes I do get ones that work and get a huge bloom on the top, so it's not like my 'process' (warm water & time) is wrong, it's just straight up dead. What the gently caress?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Are you using filtered water or tap water?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

Are you using filtered water or tap water?

I do have a filter that should remove chlorine, I feel like I've used that but I'll have to test more carefully maybe do a straight comparison with a couple packets of yeast.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm gonna be honest, I never do the warming in water thing first, but I keep my yeast in the freezer and know it's good.

Make sure you add a little sugar to the water.

Keep it in the freezer and it'll live longer, don't keep it in the cupboard. I also buy it in 500g bags, because I've never had great luck with the little packets.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 9, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeast aren't going to fizz unless they're eating and farting out gasses. No bubbles is fine if they haven't gotten any sugar in their water.

Commercial yeast is hardy stuff. Don't kill it with heat and it'll be fine, tap water or fancy filtered stuff. Proof the yeast with sugar water if you want, yeah, I wouldn't get overly worried about it unless it's an old bag or wasn't stored well. The fridge or a freezer is good enough for those big bags (from a reputable supplier) to last a long time.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I buy a bag of SAF Red yeast, once a year. It goes into a plastic container with a screw top, and into the fridge. At the end of that year, anything left gets chucked, and I pour the new bag in. Problem solved
:smugdog:

Edit: apparently dry yeast is really only good for 6 months, in the fridge? Maybe I should be freezing it?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

In the freezer at least, it lasts basically forever. And I'm pretty sure it's good as long as you can get it to reactivate.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

1) The dough's a lot stickier and harder to work with and it stuck to my banneton, despite it being really well seasoned with white flour. Maybe I should put cornmeal in the bottom of the banneton?

I was having a hell of a time with this until I realized this is why the author recommends rice flour in Tartine Bread so much. I tried all rice flour and his 50/50 rice/all purpose mix and all rice worked very well, but the 50/50 uses less and works great too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nettle Soup posted:

In the freezer at least, it lasts basically forever. And I'm pretty sure it's good as long as you can get it to reactivate.
Never before, but in my new house I have twice had block yeast die in the freezer. We're guessing it might be the salt air (we're directly above the ocean). I've switched to the small bottles for now. You have no idea how demoralizing it is to be setting up for a day's baking and the yeast does not blow a single bubble.

And now, a wee rant. I bought Magnus Nilsson's Nordic Baking. As a travelogue, it makes wonderful reading; you learn about things like a bread made in Iceland that requires your own hot spring. All the individual breads sound great.

As a cookbook, it is written not just for the experienced baker, but for the baker who has experience making these particular breads. Today I made the rye cracker recipe. Some highlights:

1. Tells you to allow a 20 minute rise, but doesn't explain whether this means doubled, 1.5, whatever. 20 minutes in your kitchen is not 20 minutes in my kitchen.
2. Tells you to divide dough into 15-20 balls. No indication of how you choose between those numbers.
3. Tells you to roll out dough until it's "at least 8 inches in diameter". This will vary depending on the size of the dough balls. Again, no explanation of how thin it's supposed to be. I made two batches of supposed crackers that turned out to be pita. The correct answer is "as thin as possible, or at least 1/8 inch thin."
4. Tells you to bake "about five minutes". No indication on how you tell whether it's done. No "until golden brown" or "until a few bubbles are brown". Your oven is not my oven.
5. In an 8 by 10 page with three bread pictures, manages to allot fewer than two inches in diameter to each bread, each floating in a wide area of empty space. This makes it impossible to use the pictures as a gauge for "is this done yet"?
6. The recipe says this is best made in a pizza oven or a wood-fired oven. In fact, the crackers puff much, much more in a pizza oven, and the recommended alternate, baking on a hot baking sheet, works better.

I don't care to try another recipe from this book. Grrr.

first cracker on right, last one on left.

Useless photograph. The cracker I made is in this picture at the far left, or the bottom of the page if it weren't rotated..

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 11, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had to park here a moment:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(we're directly above the ocean).

What? Like, a boat?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I had to park here a moment:

What? Like, a boat?

No, a hovercraft. (okay, we're on a hill that slopes down to the beach.)

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Hey bread thread

I been making fry bread lately it’s great

Flour salt bp water

Last time I hit a groove where I’d pull a piece out, flip a piece over, and drop in the piece I’d just formed. Made like a piece a minute really weid my wu

Highly recommend but also try to fry it outside or you’ll have to scrub the whole kitchen and light a candle.

Also my sourdough starter turned black in the back of the fridge.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Rationale posted:

Also my sourdough starter turned black in the back of the fridge.

Pour off the gross stuff and feed it and see what happens imo

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How do I make a sourdough starter?

I had a sourdough starter a while ago but life got in the way. I revived it a few times but it was in this bell mason jar that just looked nasty around the threads so I junked it. I think I sent away for some Oregon trail starter or something.

I’m ready to start making starter again, but I wonder if it’s possible without buying a kit/starter online.

Googling seems to say 1:1 ratio flour:water with enough of a mix to fill the bottom of a jar. Feed every 12-24 hours for the first bit.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 13, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nwin posted:

I had a sourdough starter a while ago but life got in the way. I revived it a few times but it was in this bell mason jar that just looked nasty around the threads so I junked it. I think I sent away for some Oregon trail starter or something.

I’m ready to start making starter again, but I wonder if it’s possible without buying a kit/starter online.

Googling seems to say 1:1 ratio flour:water with enough of a mix to fill the bottom of a jar. Feed every 12-24 hours for the first bit.

Yeah you just mix together flour and water. Say 30g of each. Then the next day, pour out 30g and add 15g of water and flour. Once you can predict its rising time, you’re ready to bake. Some starters need feeding twice a day. If you have trouble, try whole wheat flour.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And now, a wee rant. I bought Magnus Nilsson's Nordic Baking. As a travelogue, it makes wonderful reading; you learn about things like a bread made in Iceland that requires your own hot spring. All the individual breads sound great.

As a cookbook, it is written not just for the experienced baker, but for the baker who has experience making these particular breads. Today I made the rye cracker recipe. Some highlights:

I love this book but I agree with you, he plays really fast and loose with the details. I'd say the saving grace is that the book has a billion recipes. The waffle and pancake section is pretty stellar. His egg waffle recipe is really really good, and very simple.

On the other hand, I have tried his seeded rye bread several times, always ending is bitter disappointment. The last time I attempted it, I think I had tears in my eyes as I threw away the soggy, sticky loaves that had baked for hours longer than he suggested. I don't know what I was doing wrong, but it took so much time and work (five days of fermentation!), and failed to bake through every time.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

nwin posted:

You've got good advice above. If you'd like details for every step of the way (and troubleshooting common problems) check out this post and resulting thread at The Fresh Loaf

https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10251/starting-starter-sourdough-101-tutorial

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I really like you need to get flour wet and the yeast already there starts making a move. The right level of wet, of course, and maybe you need to throw a raisin in there too.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

nwin posted:

I followed this guide when I first started, and was finally able to get a good starter going with it. My starter just celebrated its 4th birthday, so I can vouch for its success.

https://www.theperfectloaf.com/7-easy-steps-making-incredible-sourdough-starter-scratch/

effika
Jun 19, 2005
All The Perfect Loaf starter posts are gold. So many ways to get it going, so you can pick your favorite!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

nwin posted:

When I feed mine, I usually transfer to a new mason jar and clean the one it came out of to be transferred back to the next time, this way the jar never really accumulates any buildup like that. I only feed mine when I think about it, not on a regular schedule or anything.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My starter's been going incredibly strong for 9 months now.

I used the recipe from this guy's videos.

https://thesourdoughjourney.com/

In terms of feeding, if I'm going to be using the starter soon, I feed at least once every 24 hours with a 1:2:2 ratio. If I'm not baking soon, I feed it once a week, keeping it in the fridge. In the beginning for about a month until it becomes strong, you should be leaving it out and feeding daily/per the recipe.

Once it's mature, if you aren't keeping it in the fridge, you really should still be feeding it every day. I swap between two jars to keep the environment clean.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Speaking of The Perfect Loaf, I made his sourdough bagel recipe last week. Maybe the best bagels I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Books On Tape posted:

Once it's mature, if you aren't keeping it in the fridge, you really should still be feeding it every day. I swap between two jars to keep the environment clean.

I keep mine on the counter and feed it every 5-7 days without a problem. If we are going to be gone for a week or more I will put it in the fridge.

Just pour off any liquid or remove any discolored part at the top, stir it up, and start your new jar.