Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

there was one guy around here with one on his house but he took it down like 4 months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

It was more likely that I saw the little trident on the back of a work van or something.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

I really don't see many more Ukrainian flags now in the New York metro than I did before the war honestly. Never seen one in Manhattan outside of like a Russian/Ukrainian restaurant in the village.

Yeah at this point anyone still physically flying one is actually just a Ukrainian. Though I suspect the flag thi g was always mostly a twitter thing or middle class libs too online

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
do I put my black lives matter sign back up or just remove the slava ukraine and have nothing in my front yard

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

do I put my black lives matter sign back up or just remove the slava ukraine and have nothing in my front yard

You can only put up the BLM sign when offically designated. Till than just go back to the Live, Laugh, Wine lawn sign

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I see a lot of Ukraine flags when I go into Portland. Much less than there was early in the war, but still several every trip.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Only Ukraine flag I recently saw was the one on the license plate of some douchefuck swerving like a total loving moron all over the road in his brand new open top volvo because understanding concepts like "if you intend to turn left, the left lane is where you want to be" is an alien concept to the class of rich and dumb bastards we are importing from the most oppressed country in the world and beacon of democracy

surprisingly, he was in his mid 30s but not serving in the military, wonder why that was

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Currently waiting somewhere that CNN has on and they have a segment with Wesley Clark on where CNN and him are celebrating the usa sending depleted uranium to ukraine.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Minenfeld! posted:

I really don't see many more Ukrainian flags now in the New York metro than I did before the war honestly. Never seen one in Manhattan outside of like a Russian/Ukrainian restaurant in the village.

novelty wore off eventually for everyone

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

why did all the people who put up Ukrainian flags take them down? the war is still going on. the threat remains. putin is still going to do his genocide. do those things not matter? are people suddenly okay with the greatest crime since ww2 occurring before their eyes? have they been subverted by russian propaganda?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Flying the Ukraine, blm, christian, ace, lgbq, trans, and gasden flags

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

flying the stars and bars and the ukraine flag because I support invaded peoples trying to protect their culture, property, and customs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Well, I hope expanding the EU to exploit cheap Polish labour was worth it

who are these former antisemites and why did they change their minds about jews being evil

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

frozenphil posted:

I see a lot of Ukraine flags when I go into Portland. Much less than there was early in the war, but still several every trip.

There are a few here and there, they may actually be Ukrainian because Portland has a large Slavic population. There was some "Anti-War" chalk art on the Portland Waterfront, but they only showed Ukrainian flags.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

bedpan posted:

flying the stars and bars and the ukraine flag because I support invaded peoples trying to protect their culture, property, and customs

These colours don't run.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2023/09/8/7418956/

Hmm, seems bad. I was told only bad evil countries locked up people for liking tweets.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

quote:

Considering the circumstances of the case, the court imposed a punishment closer to the minimum limit of the sanction in the form of 5 years of imprisonment without confiscation of property.

how merciful

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

text editor posted:

There's been a lot of weird and dumb propaganda in this war but the video of Blinken and Ukraine's Foreign Minister having a sit-down talk over McDonald's fries to talk about McDonald's in Kyiv is loving me up. Were they a corporate sponsor of the trip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqb2CioLFt8

Also the manager doing this pose for the entire shot she's in:

disgusted drake: feeding college football champions mcdonalds when the white house cooking staff is on strike

approving drake: having important diplomatic dinners where war plans are discussed at an actual mcdonalds restaurant

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
nazis will throw their own grandmas in prison, smh

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1700636200002900161?s=20

nuclear power plant back on the menu

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

klassekampen, the norwegian leftie daily, is very slowly coming under its commie foreign desk's influence (over its liberal main editors) and reporting some bad news for ukraine - today, some stuff about how the vibes are terrible in ukraine and recruitment is very difficult. due to the extreme discipline to which the press is subjected, however, they have to base themselves entirely on US mainstream sources like the NYT and WaPo (and sometimes the guardian) for this kind of story, so their premises are completely bizzarre and don't clearly support the story they're trying to tell. it is a thing to behold.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

klassekampen, the norwegian leftie daily, is very slowly coming under its commie foreign desk's influence (over its liberal main editors) and reporting some bad news for ukraine - today, some stuff about how the vibes are terrible in ukraine and recruitment is very difficult. due to the extreme discipline to which the press is subjected, however, they have to base themselves entirely on US mainstream sources like the NYT and WaPo (and sometimes the guardian) for this kind of story, so their premises are completely bizzarre and don't clearly support the story they're trying to tell. it is a thing to behold.

But in that context, they are moving only so far as much as they are allowed by US publications.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

ok at this year you should probably avoid that language

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ardennes posted:

But in that context, they are moving only so far as much as they are allowed by US publications.

well, sort of - they're taking the facts from these US publications and getting some ukrainian academic to interpret them more broadly than their source material would normally allow. but yes, this is a part of the story and what makes it so weird and so clearly a matter of internal dispute between the foreign affairs people and the main editors (who basically called the Reds, our leftmost parliamentary party, traitors for opposing the shipment of armaments to ukraine, a policy stance the party duly changed). the foreign affairs people want to tell the story "ukraine probably is not going to win this militarily", but know that they have to be extremely careful about packaging the story or they risk actual organised boycotts or in-house censure.

prior to the offensive they were even more circumspect about this stuff. it's an interesting indicator of where the boundaries of acceptable opinion are starting to shift. i expect that, fairly soon, it will be possible to openly claim that saying the invasion is "unprovoked" is pushing it, and also that we're going to see people pointing out that the ukraine of the propaganda doesn't match the ukraine we're observing awfully well.

V. Illych L. has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Sep 9, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

oh so they're just going to pretend they've accomplished... anything?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Oglethorpe posted:

ok at this year you should probably avoid that language
hes right
e, i meant rask is right oops

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Sep 10, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

oh so they're just going to pretend they've accomplished... anything?

That's his job.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

zizek owns

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

An immensely powerful poster

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Endman posted:

An immensely powerful poster

Sometimes you need a good heel

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

January 6 Survivor posted:

Only Ukraine flag I recently saw was the one on the license plate of some douchefuck swerving like a total loving moron all over the road in his brand new open top volvo because understanding concepts like "if you intend to turn left, the left lane is where you want to be" is an alien concept to the class of rich and dumb bastards we are importing from the most oppressed country in the world and beacon of democracy

surprisingly, he was in his mid 30s but not serving in the military, wonder why that was

Trying to mentally square the overwhelming number of Ukrainian-speaking military aged males here with the heroic inborn desire every Ukrainian has to die for their country

Not So Fast posted:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2023/09/8/7418956/

Hmm, seems bad. I was told only bad evil countries locked up people for liking tweets.

quote:

Grandma received 5 years in prison for [3] likes on “Odnoklassniki.” The woman used the social network Odnoklassniki, which is banned in Ukraine, and liked messages that were automatically displayed on her page in the news feed of her 178 friends. The Prilutsky city district court of the Chernihiv region found the woman guilty of glorification of armed aggression of the Russian Federation.

Normal country, healthy country, stable country

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

HallelujahLee posted:

he's always been like this

How do you become a Zizek? I could pass for one and it seems like a good gig to just go about telling people your political opinions for money while looking like a slob, but nobody was passing out pamphlets about it on career days so I have no idea how to get there.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Phigs posted:

How do you become a Zizek? I could pass for one and it seems like a good gig to just go about telling people your political opinions for money while looking like a slob, but nobody was passing out pamphlets about it on career days so I have no idea how to get there.

You have not snorted enough coke. Follow the white road.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

text editor posted:

Also the manager doing this pose for the entire shot she's in:

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I bet this manager is really cool to work for

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
In the midst of War, Good News for all Chewbacca cosplayers out there!

Zelensky's garb seems to be getting more formal. Now a collar and next epolettes perhaps?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i watched the whole thing and his argument appears to be that if ukraine wasnt actively doing such a great job of fighting putin then russia would have invaded other countries and also he would eventually invade the abstract concept of moral space which as far as i can tell hes defining as the abstract belief that human lives have intrinsic value and shouldnt be destroyed for no reason

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

so i watched the whole thing and his argument appears to be that if ukraine wasnt actively doing such a great job of fighting putin then russia would have invaded other countries and also he would eventually invade the abstract concept of moral space which as far as i can tell hes defining as the abstract belief that human lives have intrinsic value and shouldnt be destroyed for no reason

And thats why Ukriane has to liquidate its Roma, non-political, and Russian speaking population. So that all life can have intrinsic value

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

:qq: #ElonMuskIsATraitor :discourse:

Some Guy TT posted:

I did not watch but I feel lately like his tweets are being cobbled together by a sentence generator. "This war lays a moral foundation that transcends borders. It must be humanistic. It must prevail." this is doggerel :psyduck: Also lmao at Russia attempting to invade and subjugate the idea of goodness itself

Grimnarsson posted:

Zelensky's garb seems to be getting more formal. Now a collar and next epolettes perhaps?
Epaulets :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

KomradeX posted:

And thats why Ukriane has to liquidate its Roma, non-political, and Russian speaking population. So that all life can have intrinsic value

That's correct, for all life to have intrinsic value we must first destroy any life that doesn't have intrinsic value.